It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene editing with great potential, or Pandoras Box?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:23 AM
link   
"by creating kits and tools that allow anyone to make unique
and usable organisms at home or in a lab or anywhere."

Great the new terr ist game starts soon.
I bet the Gov is playing with us now.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

scary stuff... isn`t it?

may you live through interesting times

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

Can i ask what you studied and if your current line of work is connected with the topic?

I would be very interested in your opinion on the ebbner effect, maybe give the thread a bump...

I have no background whatsoever and no clue how most terms are defined... Why I really appreciate someone stepping in putting me in my place

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Great way to make everyone completely dependent on those developing and utilizing technology. I just don't believe that we know nearly enough about the complexity of gensets and companion genetics to do anything with this yet. Maybe in another thirty years they will have it half way figured out, but the little we know now is just dangerous.

If things do not turn out well, another hundred grand will be needed to fix what they screwed up.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The thing with technology is it takes away decisions made by the universe and puts them in your hands, that much responsibility is what scares many...

I'm sure we will handle it just fine, like we did with nuclear energy and the Internet...

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: rickymouse

The thing with technology is it takes away decisions made by the universe and puts them in your hands, that much responsibility is what scares many...

I'm sure we will handle it just fine, like we did with nuclear energy and the Internet...

Great pun this world is turning out to be.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

I haven’t had a chance yet, I worked as a technologist using hACE2 mice for Covid studies the past year or so. We used to focus on flaviviruses, HIV, and a few other BSL3 pathogens in the years before that. Mostly small molecules and protein targets. Some focus on dendritic cells and DCSIGN. It’s the cd209 receptor, an alternate to ACE2 that could be causing so many problems as we develop immunity through natural infection and vaccines.

Now I’m transitioning to a more scientist type role focusing on endothelial tissue, the cardiovascular system, cardiopulmonary function and diseases like attacks, strokes, and acute respiratory distress syndrome. This includes a number of pathogens, including Covid, and genetic and other diseases we develop as we age. We focus on translational research from model to human clinical trials in different animal models, even living and deceased humans.

As far as school goes I’m still in graduate school and my major combines molecular medicine and immunology with my focus being infectious disease (fungi, bacteria, viruses, parasites, prions, vaccine development). My minor is computer science with a focus in programming like python to analyze data.

I just want people to learn, I teach in the military, mostly medical courses. I used to chime in a lot more but people here primarily like the dramatic mRNA vaccines are bad and will kill us topics rather than what actually will happen. CRISPR is fascinating, especially the PAC-MAN approach for prophylactic treatment with respiratory viruses.

We’re all experts at something, it’s why I love this site. Most of your post was informative and on point, plus it peaked my interest.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:56 PM
link   
As usual I always feel that we will be the ones destroying our own human race in the pursue of tampering with our own bodies, is nothing wrong with us but is plenty been done to make it wrong.

While it sounds like a great technology is always the unpredictability of that technology.

We humans are not computers that can be fixed with a genetic synthetic code.

While I feel the future can be interesting, I also see no future at all when money will be at the top of the food chain.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

You surely don't mind some stupid questions...

The fancy thing to do seems to be the fluorescent thing, how does it work on animals? Do they take the eggs of the females and change that gen then fertilise it, or fertilise it with a changed male gene?
Or change it after fertilisation, if so when? and how long does it take to see the effect?

What's the weirdest thing your saw or heard of regarding this topic?

I'm guessing but the whole gene thing is more about computing data than the actual making a new gene playing god part?

If this whole thing doesn't implode in on itself you will have great job opportunities. IF

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

This:
Could it be that this is only the first step of a long term plan to introduce a resistance to a much more deadly virus, in order to keep the complacent and wipe the critical thinkers? sort of creating a ROUNDUP resistant crop...

I have been off news and forums for 2 months and much happier but had to check in

This is a great statement above and I think it bears thinking about.

I guess If I Die I die.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

you cant stop scientific progress but i share your concerns, we cant mentally and morally adapt to such a fast changing world and thats when the lack of proper education comes back biting a civilisation.

but still we dont need CRISPR for that

Children could become angry little tyrant gods over their creations and have no value for life of any kind with that kind of "toy" to play with.

some salt and a rainy day, was all that you needed to make these slugs know who was their god...

I was the malevolent sun god who would direct the energy of the sun to destroy legions of insects. Pulling legs and wings off was only the beginning torture of my medieval methods. Then, I got older and would attack ant colonies with fireworks that I, well, let's just say that I got creative.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join