It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LiveLeak shuts down after 15 years online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:47 AM
link   
So it seems after 15 years LiveLeak is shutting down. LiveLeak, whether you approve of its content or not, was one of the few video sharing websites where you could actually see some of the most truly terrible things humanity is capable of.

The reasons given are somewhat vague, the owner mentions 'changing as a person' and 'the world' changing as partial reasons. To me this sounds like political pressure of some kind, but anyway.

The owner's starting a new website called itemfresh. i have no idea what it is to be honest other than

'It’s something completely different, completely fresh, and something we feel energized about'

Well anyway. One more free speech site gone.

techstartups.com...
à

LiveLeak, a popular British video sharing website known for footage of war, politics, and many other world events usually censored on other video websites, like YouTube, abruptly shuts down today after 15 years online.

Founded on 31 October 2006 in part by the team behind Ogrish.com, LiveLeak was thrust into the spotlight in 2007 after the unauthorized filming and execution of Saddam Hussein were posted on the site.

A year later, LiveLeak was again in the spotlight in March 2008, when it hosted the anti-Quran film Fitna made by Dutch politician Geert Wilders. LiveLeak was known for its non-biased in its approach to violent content, enshrining freedom of speech within the site rules, regardless of how certain content can offend.

The message from the owners of liveleaks.

Dear LiveLeakers,
I’m sure you’re wondering what’s going on right now so it’s only right and proper that you get a full explanation.

Fifteen years ago we felt the project we were working on had peaked and it was time to move on, LiveLeak was born. Although it’s an overused analogy the last fifteen years have been an insane rollercoaster for all involved. Highs, lows, and some rather worrying bits where it felt like we were upside down. The thing is, it’s never been less than exhilarating, challenging and something we were all fully committed to. Nothing lasts forever though and – as we did all those years ago – we felt LiveLeak had achieved all that it could and it was time for us to try something new and exciting.

The world has changed a lot over these last few years, the Internet alongside it, and we as people. I’m sat here now writing this with a mixture of sorrow because LL has been not just a website or business but a way of life for me and many of the guys but also genuine excitement at what’s next.

I hope some of you will enjoy ItemFix and find it useful and entertaining. It’s something completely different, completely fresh, and something we feel energized about tackling and whilst I know many of you will be upset, possibly angry, about our decision I do hope you also understand our reasons and appreciate that, alongside you, we have walked together through some interesting times and some crazy ones.

Sometimes it’s just the right time to chart a new path.

I’d like to wrap this up with thanks. Thank you to all the team past and present, the “inner circle,” the admins, the mods, the coders. You guys helped make the impossible possible for so long it’s unreal. If people truly knew what you’d put into this…they probably wouldn’t believe it. But I know and I can’t thank you enough.

To the members, the uploaders, the casual visitors, the trolls and the occasionally demented people who have been with us. You have been our constant companions and although we probably didn’t get to communicate too often you’re appreciated more than you realize. On a personal level you have fascinated and amused me with your content.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I've visited from time to time, especially during the Ukraine crisis. However, there are plenty of sites that do the same thing they did. I won't mention them here though. I do like their new website, may have to keep tabs on it.

In the end though, it is an end of an era. Thanks for sharing, wasn't aware.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Used to be a heavy LL user, until the place became stagnant every day with dull content.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Thats weird, i only went there yesterday. First time in about 2 years and now its shutting down. Its like they were waiting for me to get one last look.
Anyhoo here's a site which is kinda similar, Leak Reality LEAK REALITY

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I used to spend a lot of free time on LL. It was a candid, honest view of the world. No filters. No censorship.

But the worst thing about LL, that really pushed me away, was the comment section. That was the most hateful, racist crap hole on the internet. I started to think of the analogy “you’re a reflection of those you hang out with”. I couldn’t allow myself to be bottled up into the same group as those sick ba***rds.

Shortly after I stopped going, YouTube went full Nazi with their policies and procedures. I stopped searching for videos pretty much all together at that point. One platform was censored too much, the other was a friggin breeding ground for white supremacy. (Not all users, of course. But try looking through the comments of a top video and not seeing someone calling someone else the “n” word).

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

They banned that word and became rather heavy handed in moderation. For example, some users would use the term "infraction" instead of the N word because you'd get an infraction (and then a ban) if you used the word. Then they started banning people using the word infraction. Their inability to find a balance in moderation is what doomed the comment section. Too little, you get everyone spewing hatred. Too much, you push away the user base.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   

The reasons given are somewhat vague, the owner mentions 'changing as a person...

One of two, he did it for money or reborn in religion.

He saw the light or he saw the money.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Sounds to me like they use'd frear of violence.
send in BLM ?
I would look two time a week.
it WAS great. now its soft propagander.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 07:32 AM
link   

So many videos are fake these days or are taken out of context. And people are ready to believe anything that supports their existing views so the brush the inconsistencies aside and except the fraud without question.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Meh, won't miss it. There are other sites that show the same content. I don't care much for it personally. I kind of got burned out of it.

I remember back when Ogrish was popular, and my friends would try to freak each other out. There was a video of a guy being held down staring into the camera, looking very scared, and begging for his life while having his neck cut open and blood bubbling from the opening.

My friends were all like "ugh," and "gross" and some were fascinated, but it just made me angry. Angry two guys would gang up in a dude, and cut his throat. Angry that they would film it. Angry that people watch that kind of #.

Mind you, we were like 10-12 years old at the time.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Yea, LL had strong 8chan vibes.

Now, I can still dip my toes into things that repulse me just because my curiosity is stronger than my disagreement of extremist opinions.

But for these owners, I imagine they're weighing the reward vs burden hosting platforms like these. Ideologically,I'd rather have everything out in the open and freedoms galore. I believe I have to defend the rights of those I strongly disagree with if I want to keep my own... But I also recognize the times we live in.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   

To this day, I am troubled by the awful things I have seen on Liveleak. Not saying it shouldn't exist.

But damn...

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   
When I was younger, I could watch that kind of stuff, not relish it, but more morbid curiosity. Got to a point where I just don't care to see it, the ugly things people do/death..it bothered me, my curiosity went away.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   
well, there's always worldstar hiphop

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
Sounds to me like they use'd frear of violence.
send in BLM ?
I would look two time a week.
it WAS great. now its soft propagander.

Live Leak felt pressure from someone, just like the Drudge Report did. Both self-watered down then...poof!

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
Meh, won't miss it. There are other sites that show the same content. I don't care much for it personally. I kind of got burned out of it.

I remember back when Ogrish was popular, and my friends would try to freak each other out. There was a video of a guy being held down staring into the camera, looking very scared, and begging for his life while having his neck cut open and blood bubbling from the opening.

My friends were all like "ugh," and "gross" and some were fascinated, but it just made me angry. Angry two guys would gang up in a dude, and cut his throat. Angry that they would film it. Angry that people watch that kind of #.

Mind you, we were like 10-12 years old at the time.

Though that video was well known in a truly moribund way at the time, that's nothing by current standards. Some of the drug cartel videos, The Guerror Flaying is the worst of the worst, out there are just mind numbing and make you realize that it doesn't matter what class, job, color, religion, creed or anything else you are its humanity, at its most basic level, that is capable of the worst acts.

Iceberg videos are all the rage on YouTube currently and a few months ago Wendigoon did a Disturbing Movie version of it. Tiers 7 and 8 of the Iceberg are basically where all the compilation videos reside and those basically pull from all the sites out there , 4 / 8 chan, Reddit, FB, Twitter, LIveLeaks, older sites like Orgrish, ShockChannels, Inhumanity, whatever and deliver the horrible side of mankind in 1-3 hour formats.

If you truly want to view the worst elements of life track down MDPOPE volumes 1-3 and feel the humanity melt away.

As for LiveLeaks...Im on the fence..I think there is value in information being supplied and letting people choose if they wish to consume that information. What I am not on the fence about is when classified, secured or proprietary information gets released . That seems contradictory and it almost is but having spent a good 5-6 years in the defense industry with higher level clearance I understand why things need to stay compartmentalized.

What I know something else will step into the void left by LiveLeaks. It will be different but will fill that space.

edit on 6-5-2021 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2021 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Liveleak is where you go for snuff films and mutiliations. I could care less if its gone or not.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Oh, I know there's worse. I've seen worse online, and I've seen worse in person. I just don't need to see that stuff.

It does show people the reality of the darker side of humanity though.

As far as other videos go I've been able to see more first hand video just by going checking out social media like Twitter and TikTok. You just have to follow the right accounts and be quick enough to save the videos.

There are still other sites that provide those kinds of sources outside of social media. I know of a few onion and I2P sites that host the same content. I'm not talking about just the gore type stuff, but real first hand video of people at protests and riots and warzones and such.

You can't depend on just one source of information.

I know LiveLeak was an easy access kind of site where content was easily viewed, but hell Tor and I2P are just as easy.

Even on the regular internet there are other sites that host the same content.

posted on May, 9 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Sorry I don't want to be a knob but I've seen this a few times now (not by you)
It's "I couldn't care less" not " I could".
Your way implies you care about it the issue, but have room not to.
#areply to: bigfatfurrytexan

posted on May, 9 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Sucks to see it go. LL has gone kinda youtubeish to me. Theync.com is like the old LL. Though I don't really seek out gore it is good to see what's going on in other parts of the world and keep things in perspective

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join