It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Olympic Committee Bans BLM Apparel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:46 AM
link   
This should really not be groundbreaking news as the IOC have a longstanding tradition of not conflating sports with politics.

I am pleased that they have been clear that this includes BLM apparel as I, and many others are just downright sick and tired of politics and partisanship ever creeping it's way in to where it doesn't belong; our favourite sports, our workplaces, our publicly funded broadcasters (note: obviously politics has a place here but not partisanship) and numerous other arenas.

The International Olympics Committee has announced athletes will be banned from expressing political statements including wearing Black Lives Matter merchandise – a move that has Twitter erupting.

The IOC have had a long standing rule – the Rule 50 ban – which prohibits “demonstrational or political, religious or racial propaganda", however that rule will now also include Black Lives Matter apparel.

The committee had been deliberating over whether keep to the rule but after consulting around 3,500 athletes, 70 per cent said political demonstrations were not appropriate at the games.

The announcement has social media reacting to whether this was the right move.

"I'm a BLM supporter, but imagine if everyone went to the Olympics to do politics. Imagine every country airing their political problems. It would stop being about sports. That's what the United Nations is for,” one Twitter user wrote.

"Athletes should just boycott....this is violation of free speech...they are not employees of the Olympics,” another said.

There is no word on whether athletes will be punished if they break the rule.

Tell you what else I am sick of, is the opinions of random Twitter users being used in news articles, stop making these people think their little opinions are oh so important!

I actually quite enjoy watching the Olympics when they roll around and can't wait this year to see break dancing and skateboarding!

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Silly...it is just a dare that will be answered by some 3rd string alternate in whatever sport.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I think you may be right, someone is going to do it now just for the attention and to stand on the winners podium of wokeness.

Ohhhhhhhh the wokey pokey.....ohhhhhh the wokey pokey

+14 more 
posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:50 AM
link   

FYI: BLM is a TERRORIST organization. Not a POLITICAL organization.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Ok

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Lets put traditions back again..

They actually were totaly nude when competiting

There were no political statements at all and one gender. Women sport is already messed up with gender identity.
edit on 6-5-2021 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
Lets put traditions back again..

They actually were totaly nude when competiting

Greco-Roman wrestling ain't what you've been told it is.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I think Vasa Croe is right about this being seen as a dare. More people will want to, just because they're being told they can't. This will probably lead to seeing much more of it in the crowds.

I wonder what exactly their limitations will be. What exactly constitutes BLM Apparel? Similar to a pink ribbon showing support for breast cancer awareness, anything could be declared as symbolizing support for BLM.

Tell you what else I am sick of, is the opinions of random Twitter users being used in news articles....

I've hated that since the first time I noticed it. From what I've seen though, it seems like most of the time it's a very generic comment that just baffles me how anyone could have actually thought it was worth repeating at all.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:27 AM
link   
BLM is a racist cult. Yes, definitely keep the olympics cult-free!

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

BLM = Burn, Loot, Murder.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I think VC is correct too.

You just know someone's gonna do it and the IOC will be in a PR bind.

The whole Twitter thing does my head in. Every article you read now is devoid of facts and just a compilation of Twitter posts and conversations. I don't wanna read that sh** hence why I am not on social media.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

I actually quite enjoy watching the Olympics when they roll around and can't wait this year to see break dancing and skateboarding!

In the past, I've usually watched some of it, but never really cared about anything in particular. However, a couple years ago, I started watching sport climbing, and have been looking forward to seeing it now in the Olympics.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Imma save this thread for later when the eventual MAGA supporter brings out the hat/flag during competition and eventually gets banned to see you all reactions to it...lol

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I'm much the same except for maybe soccer and boxing and hockey in the winter ones.

It can be fun watching the random sports that are rarely if ever elsewise televised.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bunch

I'd have the same opinion of one of them red hats, or even an anti-China display. To be fair though use of your country's flag as a display in the olympics would hardly considered to be of a political slant to any sane person or everyone there is guilty. Save away.
edit on 652021 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Totally agree

Let the games begin,
was one of the reasons I bought a new tv
Yes I'm a bit crazy
Politics and propaganda occupy way too much public space already, like I said
agree

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Keep politics out of sport. Simple as that.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 07:45 AM
link   

They should implement a strict policy of anyone doing political %$^&@# is not only banned, but their entire country is disqualified from the games.

Possibly next games as well.

Any medals already won would be forfeited.

Have a whole country turn on you might be incentive enough to discourage this nonsense.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch

Imma save this thread for later when the eventual MAGA supporter brings out the hat/flag during competition and eventually gets banned to see you all reactions to it...lol

False equivalency face palm.

Number one, nobody is going to do that. Your peeps are the ones obsessed with "No Justice No Peace" and are the absolute masters of social disruption/distraction/antics, cases in point, marching across and shutting down highways, mobs threatening bystanders to participate in their cult ceremonies, and so on. None of which any MAGA demonstrators have ever ONCE done.

Number two, 2016 (Rio Summer Games) and 2018 (South Korea Winter Games) /already/ happened during the Trump tenure.

"Look MA, no MAGA hats!"

I own not one single MAGA item by the way, and DGAF if Trump is never publicly seen again.

BLM is a plague, and trying to compare it with other political "movements" is an exercise in futility.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   
"Keeping the politics out of sports" is a fantastic premise, and one I wholeheartedly agree with, but alas, that horse has exited the barn here in the United States.

The false narrative of "Black Lives Matter" as a reaction to unprovoked police violence has infected and overrun most of the big team sports in the US, at every level of competition.

Most of the sports I grew up loving, playing and watching (particularly basketball and football) are practically dead to me now.

Millionaires with an education level barely scraping the bottom of the collegiate barrel, lecturing others on "social justice" and "racial equality".

I wish fans of the Olympic Games luck, and I will happily watch them as long as they remain apolitical. I do not expect them to remain apolitical, not in this climate where extremist political movements are shoved into the mainstream and embraced as if it were a normal, healthy facet of athletic competition.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join