It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facial recognition arrives during LOCKDOWN in England in CO-OP Stores

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 05:56 AM
link   
We had one in our local supermarket turning up around a month ago, it's gone now.

A 70ish" widescreen above the entrance, showing the image of a camera filming you when you walk in. I suppose I wasn't the only one asking question, like, what is it supposed to do, is it recorded and if not, is it processed on the fly?

Their info desk is right beside it so I asked these questions interested and polite. They told me it is counting the amount of people coming in and out, because of a covid-related limit of persons in the building. I thanked them for the answer, ignored the logic gap because it's an entrance only and there are none at the cashier, but okay. Wished them a nice day and stayed friendly.

Just for fun I mapped out the scenarios possible in my head while shopping. Neutral and logic.

We suppose it's true that this is for counting people coming in. Math dictates that if they keep adding up, they need to subtract too because the number would have just one possible way to go. Up towards and over the limit. It's just logic.

How do they subtract? I figured they could collect all the open cashiers transactions. But not everyone coming in is a single shopper, some are families, some do not buy something and leave again. Some have several transactions because they need a recipe for the company. The way the camera is setup, it doesn't cover the entrance in a nice clean frame. It's zoomed in and does a good job of getting the faces, but it doesn't cover the area like you would want to have it, if you just want to count people coming in.

It's like zooming in on a small section of road to count everything that moves on the road, instead of having a good overview of the complete road. Still seeing everything and easy trackable by eye and I think computers would have it easy too.

Okay further, at the cashier, there are cameras but they are inside, filming outwards passing the cashier and covering the mall outside a bit. There are dead spots so they will again have rising error in their counting because not everyone is covered. Of course I don't know if there are really dead spots.

But I am person that often looks up and also in supermarkets, I am aware of my surounding. There is a lot of (for me) interesting things to see. Like vents and cable trusses. Looking behind the facade, through the curtain. I don't mind being filmed doing that, I don't mind the cameras either way.

It's just it doesn't make a lot of sense, their explanation to me. I don't think they know any better, only technicians or higher-up would know what it is really for.

edit on 5.5.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The UK is not China where every transaction and movement is monitored

Lol good one.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

Don't know how I've missed this.

I know I'm out in the hinterlands of the North East but I really have to say I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever of facial recognition being in place in the CO-OP or anywhere else.

Its all really quite worrying.

Facial recognition in public places may be considered reasonable to some but for me its just another step closer to Minority Report.....and that's not good.

Cashless society and facial recognition?
How's a man supposed to earn a crust?

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Um. The Co-op has had CCTV since the 90s.

Facial recognition doesn't work with a facemask. There is some cutting edge stuff working around that but you won't find it in your local Co-op.

You've added two and two and got nine.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Goes completely against the principles of the people that founded the Cooperative society.

They sold out about fifteen, twenty years ago. I had been a (mildly active) member pretty much all my adult life and packed it in when they embraced neo-liberal social reforms.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Don't know how I've missed this.

I know I'm out in the hinterlands of the North East but I really have to say I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever of facial recognition being in place in the CO-OP or anywhere else.

Its all really quite worrying.

Facial recognition in public places may be considered reasonable to some but for me its just another step closer to Minority Report.....and that's not good.

Cashless society and facial recognition?
How's a man supposed to earn a crust?

So.. I didn't shop at CO-Op today, I went to Icelands instead but guess what... they have Facial Recognition too at the checkout (self-service) till. not sure on the maned checkout!

See... it's now crept in to all supermarkets by the look of it and it won't stop there.

anyway, i gave it 2 fingers salute we i finished but should of given it the 1

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

Um. The Co-op has had CCTV since the 90s.

Facial recognition doesn't work with a facemask. There is some cutting edge stuff working around that but you won't find it in your local Co-op.

You've added two and two and got nine.

CCtv they had yes but not Facial Recognition at checkout points!

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Then shop at a human cashier, save their jobs.

If you want to go the automated route, you might have to accept this.

It's your choice.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   

All the stores that have facial recognition in place seem to be Southern Co-op outlets in the Portsmouth area.

I can't find any reports etc of Iceland stores having facial recognition.
There are some in Keflavik airport in Iceland.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777

So far, the only evidence that it's facial recognition comes from posts on these threads.

Occam's razor says they're CCTV.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Ok, now you've gone and done it...

I can now name one - and only one - reason that could, possibly, maybe, provide some justification for me to don a face diaper...

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777
You did read that right!

I went to my local Co-Op this morning and whilst paying for my shopping, I noticed myself staring back at me on the screen. Straight away I was like 'woah' and just wanted to get out of sight! I read about this last year whilst in lockdown but didn't make a thread about it until now because the Chinese model has crept in whilst everyone was in Lockdown and its not only CO_OP stores that will have this tech, it will be everywhere as it started off with this being a trial but several months along and its still in stores looking like the trial is over and its here to stay. It said in that article I read several months ago that this system was introduced to catch thieves... what about the Millions of people who aren't food thieving?

Thats more of our privacy gone down the drain... not only do the people behind it have our Identities, they now know what we buy to consume!

No longer do we have any privacy whatsoever.

whats the next stage? Mandatory CCTV in our homes connected to BIG BROTHER?

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

I don't think there's any denying that some sort of facial recognition system is being used in Southern Co-op stores in the Portsmouth area.

www.portsmouth.co.uk...

I was going to say let's hope it doesn't spread but we really shouldn't leave it up to 'hope', we should make sure it doesn't become common practice.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

All the stores that have facial recognition in place seem to be Southern Co-op outlets in the Portsmouth area.

I can't find any reports etc of Iceland stores having facial recognition.
There are some in Keflavik airport in Iceland.

Well, they do coz i witnessed it first hand and was chatting to one of the staff about it... unless you're trying to imply I'm living i some alternate reality??? And this is all in London... East London.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It is common practice... as I said its now at CO-OP and Iceland in East London and probably other stores too.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Just spotted in the TESCO near work, 5 automated tills and 2 "manned" ones.

It wasn't there last week.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Not saying anything of the sort.
Just pointing out that I can't find any mention anywhere on the internet of any facial recognition being in use other than in Southern Co-op outlets in the Portsmouth area.

I've also spoken to a handful of people in other parts of the UK than me over the last few days and none of them are aware of it being in use near them.

That doesn't mean it isn't being used, just that I personally can't find any reports.

If anyone else could supply some links/first hand testimony etc it'd be greatly appreciated.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   

If you live anywhere near East London, you could check it out or if you ever plan a visit to the area!

I might get my phone out on Monday and record inside Iceland and upload... if i go Monday!

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

Just spotted in the TESCO near work, 5 automated tills and 2 "manned" ones.

It wasn't there last week.

did they have Facial Recognition at auto tills? I have Tesco near me aswell but its a small store so doubt they have it but might take a peek one day.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   

If you live anywhere near East London,......

North East England..
We've just stopped using smoke signals and semaphore up here and facial recognition is down to Dorothy the local eccentric artist who does Most Wanted mock-up's for the local Constabulary.

....you could check it out or if you ever plan a visit to the area!

It's a while since I've visited London.
I have some good mates who live there and to be honest they've sort of put me off wanting to visit again.
The only real attractions left for me are Camden and music venues when everything open's back up.

edit on 7/5/21 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I've seen and done everything there is to do in London and will son be out of here! Don't like Cities anymore and havn't for a good 10 years!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join