It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facial recognition arrives during LOCKDOWN in England in CO-OP Stores

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777
It has been in Sainsbury's since 2018.....
Here is a news article about it dated May 2018

Sainsbury's customers voice concern over 'creepy' CCTV screens placed above self-service checkouts | The Independent | The Independent
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777
You did read that right!

I went to my local Co-Op this morning and whilst paying for my shopping, I noticed myself staring back at me on the screen. Straight away I was like 'woah' and just wanted to get out of sight! I read about this last year whilst in lockdown but didn't make a thread about it until now because the Chinese model has crept in whilst everyone was in Lockdown and its not only CO_OP stores that will have this tech, it will be everywhere as it started off with this being a trial but several months along and its still in stores looking like the trial is over and its here to stay. It said in that article I read several months ago that this system was introduced to catch thieves... what about the Millions of people who aren't food thieving?

Thats more of our privacy gone down the drain... not only do the people behind it have our Identities, they now know what we buy to consume!

No longer do we have any privacy whatsoever.

whats the next stage? Mandatory CCTV in our homes connected to BIG BROTHER?

Well if you have smart phones and devices you already are connected to big brother 24/7.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

You are truly brainwashed and deluded. I am dead serious. They are SO happy with you- you’re on here making excuses for the inexcusable removal l, without consent, of basic human privacy. Nothing justifies this or makes it ok. Society didnt fall to pieces before facial recognition. Thieves still got caught. You think that store was in dire straits because someone lifted some toothpaste every couple of weeks?

Give me a break. Keep apologizing for your Masters. Disgusting.
edit on 4-5-2021 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
It has been in Sainsbury's since 2018.....
Here is a news article about it dated May 2018

Sainsbury's customers voice concern over 'creepy' CCTV screens placed above self-service checkouts | The Independent | The Independent
www.independent.co.uk...

Bloody el...

Havn't shopped at Sainsbury's for quite a while... must be over 2 years coz I don't remember any facial recognition!

I think we need to protest outside these stores or enter and tell staff they will be losing our custom!

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

Well if you have smart phones and devices you already are connected to big brother 24/7.

If you keep them on 24/7 yes.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
a reply to: paraphi

You are truly brainwashed and deluded. I am dead serious. They are SO happy with you- you’re on here making excuses for the inexcusable removal l, without consent, of basic human privacy. Nothing justifies this or makes it ok. Society didnt fall to pieces before facial recognition. Thieves still got caught. You think that store was in dire straits because someone lifted some toothpaste every couple of weeks?

Give me a break. Keep apologizing for your Masters. Disgusting.

Exactly. Just a handful of thieves cause this mass surveillance system for 99% of people who aren't thieving!

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I noticed this at the Woolworths supermarket at Wolli Creek near the airport in Sydney Australia.
The self serve check out puts your mug on a screen.

Never going back there again.
Hope they put my shopping back on the shelves when I walked away from it.

I guess I’ll need some circle stickers to go with my black permanent marker.
I use the marker to add dots and squares to qr check in codes.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Thinking of taking some spray paint with me the next time I go shopping!

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If you knew what was coming/is already here you'd find this case in the Original Post to be minor. Imagine when all your banking transactions/consumer purchases will be done via facial recognition.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Walmarts and several other stores with self-check out have been doing that for years.

Hell, every ATM you go to has it. There's a camera on every corner and shop front in most cities.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   

You know what would be fun? Crowd-funded counter surveillance.

Just imagine being able to log into a website and find out that Officer Smith left his home on 123 Maple St. at 8:20 am, walked to an ATM to withdraw some cash at 8:30, stopped at a Starbuck's at 8:45 to get coffee before reporting to the precinct at 8:55 to begin his shift.

Or MI6 analyst John Jones left his office at 12234 Hampton Blvd. at 5:45 pm and proceeded directly to the Boar & Bear Pub where he drank a few beers and played some darts before going to his flat at the Yorkshire Apartments.

They won't mind being watched, will they?

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If you knew what was coming/is already here you'd find this case in the Original Post to be minor. Imagine when all your banking transactions/consumer purchases will be done via facial recognition.

Beauty. You soundlike my ethics teacher, killjoy Tonsoffun

Can’t wait till I have to slap my right hand on someone’s forehead to confirm my purchase

Or forehead to forehead.

Or high five, right hand to right hand, for those ‘discounts for being special’ deals

Can’t wait 🙄🤥😳

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

You know what would be fun? Crowd-funded counter surveillance.

Just imagine being able to log into a website and find out that Officer Smith left his home on 123 Maple St. at 8:20 am, walked to an ATM to withdraw some cash at 8:30, stopped at a Starbuck's at 8:45 to get coffee before reporting to the precinct at 8:55 to begin his shift.

Or MI6 analyst John Jones left his office at 12234 Hampton Blvd. at 5:45 pm and proceeded directly to the Boar & Bear Pub where he drank a few beers and played some darts before going to his flat at the Yorkshire Apartments.

They won't mind being watched, will they?

It’s not nearly as fun when it’s not your job and your not a super villainous control freak.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Goes completely against the principles of the people that founded the Cooperative society.

Was done without telling the public first and this is causing a massive backlash from right's group's.

It is a move toward a fully automated store setup were the only people are likely to be shelf stackers which is also against the founding principles of the Cooperative society.

Who is providing them with a database of faces?.

Do we have the copyright to our faces?.

Unless there is an ongoing criminal investigation a private company holding facial data is a breach of the Data Protection act and they can only hold ordinary surveillance footage for a limited before it is automatically deleted so where are they getting this data from again?, we used to keep suspects but had to relabel our footage as training footage and could only show other guards and shop staff - for - erm - ah-hmm - training purposes (one of the managers aunt's was a bit of a clepto, you see a lot of stuff when you do security, I even had a local thug - money lender and drug dealer with a penchant for young boys whom he apparently fiddled in a canal barge - there is a canal that runs through that particularly inbred town - in exchange for drugs he gave them - by the surname of Arnold throwing his weight and I was twice his size but he thought he was the big lick's, you have to hold your temper and stay calm in that job.

Personally I can't help but look on this cynically.

From my training in CCTV as I have two now expired SIA security licences (left the job through ill health and also a disagreement with a particularly evil store manager that was full of himself) one in CCTV and the other in front line security, from my training I Can NOT see how they can legally retain data to a private facial recognition system as that is a breach of the Data Protection Act and also if you copyright your face - I believe there was a test case that says you own your face some time back - then it is also a breach of copyright as is done without your express permission, implied permission need not apply on that one as that was thrown out in another case, however unless the politicians and courts get off there arses corporations will always act like a law unto themselves and the SIA had it's oversight reduced somewhat by the Tory's allowing stores to put an untrained checkout girl in front of there security cameras again despite it originally being a licenced job specifically to bring it in line with the Data Protection law's, almost as if everyone is now ignoring the fact they are STATUTE and binding laws.

edit on 4-5-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Beauty. You soundlike my ethics teacher, killjoy Tonsoffun

LOL.

Credit card companies will be spearheading mobile driver's licenses here in the United States. Think about that for a minute.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I think you're right, it is a breach of the data protection act and i think we can and are within our rights to ask the shop staff to turn it off

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Maybe it’s time to start wearing Burkhas when shopping.....

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Well this sucks.

Seriously.

I do not like this one bit.

Nope.

I profoundly disagree with this.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   

a reply to: glen200376

Don't know about "Terrifying" but it is pretty creepy when you see yourself looking back at you and all you wanted to do was buy some food!

I'd maybe use the word "Scary".

You saw your face.

They saw your face, the last three times you were there (date and time, plus a picture), what you bought each time, what payment method you used each time, and likely how you got there and how you left.
They see your lifetime average spending per visit.

Then all of that data probably goes back to the vendor they got the cameras from- where they also have you linked to everywhere else they've seen you.

Here's the kicker- that information is for sale.

posted on May, 4 2021 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Very scary indeed....

I wont be shopping at Co-op anymore...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join