It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What you need to know about California's possible ban, regulation of gas-powered garden tools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   
abc7news.com...

This year, California Air Resources is considering new standards for gas-powered small engine tools to help the state reduce smog-forming pollutant emissions from mobile sources by 80 percent in 2031.

So, just why are these garden tools such a target?

According to the CAB :

"Emissions are significant Today, operating the best-selling commercial lawn mower for one hour emits as much smog-forming pollution as driving the best-selling 2017 passenger car, a Toyota Camry, about 300 miles - approximately the distance from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. For the best-selling commercial leaf blower, one hour of operation emits smog-forming pollution comparable to driving a 2017 Toyota Camry about 1100 miles, or approximately the distance from Los Angeles to Denver.

try cutting three acres with an electric mower. not going to happen.

the elites have groundskeepers to do such stuff. no problem.

at what point to Californios draw the line?
will we see black-market chain saws?
no more back-up generators?

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The impact of the landscaping industry in Cali would be unimaginable. You can't just ban stuff without having a viable and cost-efficient replacement.

+1 more 
posted on May, 3 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   
They think wildfires are bad now? Just wait til you add in dead long grass to create a prairie fire effect.

**EDIT**

Or imagine future Cali where everyone owns at least one goat. It mows the lawn, and they get dung to dry for burning along with the milk.

Sustainable... and si 3rd world.
edit on 3-5-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

More proof that all the crazy things start in California.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
The goats alright as a pet but when it farts it farts methane so that's out.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

More proof that all the crazy things start in California.

Real life demonstration of how the road to Hell works.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think my old riding mower, from the seventies, puts out more pollution than our Subaru forester when we run it. But it keeps on going, and under load it is not much worse than a new riding mower that has a bigger engine on it. I suppose if it was equipped with a all kinds of electronic engine controls and had a catalytic converter, it would be way more efficient and cost two grand more for a new mower.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
They think wildfires are bad now? Just wait til you add in dead long grass to create a prairie fire effect.

**EDIT**

Or imagine future Cali where everyone owns at least one goat. It mows the lawn, and they get dung to dry for burning along with the milk.

Sustainable... and si 3rd world.

A friend told me that's the new thing in green landscaping. The company pens off an area, let 20-30 goats got to town, then moves them to another area.
edit on 3-5-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
equipped with a all kinds of electronic engine controls and had a catalytic converter, it would be way more efficient and cost two grand more for a new mower.

it would also break way faster

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What you need to know about California's possible ban, regulation of gas-powered garden tools:

Answer:
It's stupid, and not going to work?

Can you imagine if they try this with snowblowers, here in the north?

Morons.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Build a wall and trap all liberals inside with their stupid ideologies to rot...

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The problem with liberals is that they don't understand basic economics and how free markets work. If a product is better and more cost efficient, it will be adopted voluntarily.

I have a small postage stamp sized yard. I can easily cut my grass or do most yard work with electric. However, there is no way professionals or people with large yards can easily adopt electric. If there is a cost savings or better performance, people will adopt electric on their own. There is no need for govt to get involved.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have had goats. I thought they would be good helpers in keeping the 5+ acres tidy. Wrong. Big time wrong. Goats will eat every darn thing "except" what you want them to eat. They don't graze, and mine would wander, even with an electric fence.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Ever looked at the warning label on something as simple as an extension cord? It states that in the state of CA, those items are known to cause birth defects, etc. The state takes ignorance to the extreme.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

However, there is no way professionals or people with large yards can easily adopt electric.

This is purely speculation, but....

If it were to actually happen, then they will possibly have some sort of annual permit that people with big yards &/or companies can purchase, that allows the use of gas powered mowers.

edit on 5/3/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

originally posted by: rickymouse
equipped with a all kinds of electronic engine controls and had a catalytic converter, it would be way more efficient and cost two grand more for a new mower.

it would also break way faster

But they could sell way more electronic parts to replace the micro-circuitry that shorts out during a thunder storm. If a thunderstorm can make the high pressure sodium lights start up with the switch off,it can destroy the fine new style circuitry in technology. Without even getting a hit from lightning at our house I lost many tvs and other electronics during lightning storms till I put in a whole house surge protector. The lightning was inducing currents in the wires and ground. I used to get the battery backup for the computer, but the whole house surge protector with it's huge capacitor works good at protecting things. I have one in each garage and in the house...since then the tvs and electronics last way longer. I also noticed that after a big lightning outburst there was way more chances of the car sensors and technology failing...which I thought would be protected by the shell of the car acting like a faraday cage.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

originally posted by: Edumakated

However, there is no way professionals or people with large yards can easily adopt electric.

This is purely speculation, but....

If it were to actually happen, then they will possibly have some sort of annual permit that people with big yards &/or companies can purchase, that allows the use of gas powered mowers.

They'd have to carve out some exceptions and sure they'd use it as an opportunity to pick up some "licensing revenue" charging for the permits.

I like electric powered things. However, you have to be pretty thick to think you can just replace gas across the board. The tech simply isn't there for extended use situations. If you have a small city lot, electric is really all you need. However, if you are 1 acre or more, then gas will probably be far superior. Almost all my neighbors who mow their own lawns use electric, but then again I am on small city lot..... however, the lawn services all use gas.

I guess lawn care could use electric if their equipment trailers had solar and they had replacement battery packs on deck. I'd be surprised though if there is any ROI at all... the only benefit to electric is less noise pollution, especially since gas blowers are usually 2 stroke. I think the bigger invention would be better mufflers for the gas equipment instead of forcing electric down everyone's throats.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   
New technology for California.

www.walmart.com...

www.amazon.com...=asc_df_B0026T3O6A/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvp os=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932708261387&psc=1

www.agrisupply.com... ng&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_AllProducts_BING&msclkid=c31ae785a12c16cc772f8715c89c9ebe

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I cheaped out on an $80 24-volt battery mower and it did just fine with both my suburban sized lawns in beautiful, water-free California. My buddy has 1.5 acres of grass and uses electric with no complaints. I recall the cheapest corded mowers being 12 or so amps, though I'm sure how that compares to battery power. Replacing those batteries was still damn expensive.

The real problem if we are worried about pollution, is it looks like we only recycle around half of our lithium ion batteries. Even the 10% of lead batteries that don't get recycled is a pretty large amount.
edit on 5/3/2021 by spite because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/3/2021 by spite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   
No one makes small portable engines that are up to current eco standards for transportation vehicles.

If someone funds the engine/motor production, this California ban won't be an issue.

Honda has no incentive to make a better lawncare engine, at this time. afaik

I think they've been putting it off, because they expect electronic tech to overtake that industry, if not soon, eventually, when we create a successor to Lithium-Ion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join