It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition - The First Triple-A Game Built Around Ray Tracing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   
On May 6th 4A Games are releasing an update for Metro Exodus that reworks the Ray Tracing implementation and takes advantage of NVidia's new DLSS 2.1 Technology , the update is free but you will need an RT capable GPU for it to work.

As a fan of the Metro series I bought Exodus when I got an RTX 2060 as it was one of the few games at the time that could show off what my new RTX card could do , the implementation of Ray Tracing in the original release was well done and I was not disappointed , Ray Tracing added more depth to the games visuals and ran well on my lower end RTX card so the news of this update and the improvements it brings is welcome as I've intended to go back for a while as I rushed through it on my first play through and got the bad ending , on this play through I'll take my time , savour the new visuals and try to get a better outcome.

Digital Foundry have taken a look at the update and show the goodness the new RTX implementation brings.

Metro Exodus is now available on Steam as well as Epic and is well worth a look for fans of post apocalyptic shooters with or without an RTX card.

edit on 3-5-2021 by gortex because: spelling

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My 2080ti custom thermal pads will be here today I believe.....
For this very reason.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

edit on 3-5-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Oh cool, might have to give it another playthrough. The Metro games are phenomenal.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Ray tracing is a bit of a problem at the moment as if you aint got a card capable of doing the business you are stuffed as I was waiting to grab a 3060ti but things didn't go well so i'm stuck with my rx570. This is probably the same sort of era where we see the difference between doom and quake and how it shook up the requirements.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

It is incredibly frustrating right now , I'm waiting for the 3070 to become available but it's starting to look like that wait will extend into next year as I refuse to buy one from a scalper.

Good luck with your search for the 3060ti.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Have to admit I think that is one of my favourite games, too short in the end but every second I enjoyed though it could have done with more exploration in each of the regions and more variation in the mutant's including perhaps sentient living mutant humans that they could have traded with since if animals can mutate why not humans and not just into stone throwing humanzees, the blind gorillas were a touch of genius and a great enemy though.

I think I shall look forward to this update since I have not actually had the game all that long.

I enjoyed the second DLC very much though and thought that had potential to be even better than the main game, a radioactive swampy eastern European reimagining of a post apocalyptic city turned into a kind of mutant infested Venice and a hard choice, strand yourself but endure the world is safe - or would it be? or make the choice I made of backing the arms dealer and giving him the fully armed nuclear submarine and hoping you do not strike a mine on your way back to the ruins of the US - it also opens up the possibility of a story based in the US with new mutant's, new areas to explore if they ever do another DLC.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Haven't played the DLCs yet but will get them on sale at some point no doubt , I prefer getting free games from Epic to giving them money but I guess if I can pick them up on sale it's a win win.

edit on 3-5-2021 by gortex because: spelling

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have an RTX card, but I got it for a number of reasons. VR was one ( not point looking back when moving forward ) but .. with 2d games, I don't know if I could ever justify the price hike from a decent card, to an RTX 3x type card, just for shadows under a foot.

Would you even really notice it's there, or not?

For AI tech and deep fakes, or other things that use the card in that way, sure. But still..

Maybe I'm just getting old and games don't appeal to me as much. But the minimal result is not worth the price, to me.

obligatory Prove Me Wrong sign here.

edit on 3-5-2021 by jerich0 because: I sing when should have sign.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Would you even really notice it's there, or not?

I did , it's about more than shadows under a foot Ray Tracing gives the environment a more realistic feeling with shadows and light reflections , a friend of mine plays Cyberpunk on an RTX 3080 the says difference between Ray Tracing on or off is like the difference between night and day.
My 2060 isn't strong enough for RT in Cyberpunk with decent frame rates hence my search for a 3070.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
All applicable to an rx6800? It's ironic. I just built a computer capable of doing all of these things, just in time to fall in love with games that don't even use the card to it's full capabilities. valheim.....

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

just in time to fall in love with games that don't even use the card to it's full capabilities. valheim.....

You and me both.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That's were I got it, free from Epic, the DLC were included in that giveaway, there are only two but accessing them is weird.
heavy.com...

I could not find the DLC at first.

I even checked and the game icon has a little black oblong in the top right hand corner that says 2 addon's, if your missing that then for some reason you may not have gotten the two DLC but if you have that icon it is there.

Don't try pressing the DLC button that does nothing just opens a browser window and is very confusingly named to us brit's, instead look under the Chapter's, click on that part that looks a bit like an old seismometer with the paper tape and stylus recording shakes to access the installed DLC, they just continue the story, one fleshes out the Colonels story a bit while the other follow's Sam after he leaves the party following Artyom's death.

If they do another story I want a real open world experience and Sam back in the US would be a great chance to create a real metro take on a kind of postman/mad max post apocalyptic experience, I wonder if they ever will.

edit on 3-5-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Maxatoria

It is incredibly frustrating right now , I'm waiting for the 3070 to become available but it's starting to look like that wait will extend into next year as I refuse to buy one from a scalper.

Good luck with your search for the 3060ti.

Like I posted before , I am waiting .
Per Nvidia , Guru3d , and reddit there are some issues.
And I am not sure it is driver related.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Lack of (perhaps deliberately) Supply and intense demand has pushed the prices of the card up far more than they ever should be but the best way to get your hands on one is to simply buy a premade rig with one installed, you may pay twice as much but better than being scalped for twice as much and just getting a card, you can then keep your old card put it into the new rig while moving the new card to the old rig if that is what you want to do and sell the new rig with the old card for as much as you can perhaps even making the cost of the card after you move on your old card less than you would have paid.

I am certain though that there is dirty work going on among the company's, yes there has been heightened tensions with China, yes most of there fabrication plant's were there BUT this smack's of profiteering and monopolization to me.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Lack of (perhaps deliberately) Supply and intense demand has pushed the prices of the card up far more than they ever should be but the best way to get your hands on one is to simply buy a premade rig with one installed, you may pay twice as much but better than being scalped for twice as much and just getting a card, you can then keep your old card put it into the new rig while moving the new card to the old rig if that is what you want to do and sell the new rig with the old card for as much as you can perhaps even making the cost of the card after you move on your old card less than you would have paid.

I am certain though that there is dirty work going on among the company's, yes there has been heightened tensions with China, yes most of there fabrication plant's were there BUT this smack's of profiteering and monopolization to me.

1) I build my own , and have since 1989 .
2) I do not want what someone wants to give me for a price , I want what I want .
3) Every single piece of my systems are handpicked and researched for performance then price.
4) As stated , there appears to be issues with the 3000 series cards that may not be a driver issue. Seems like it may be a VRAM timing issue.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Fair enough, my last home build was probably about ten years ago now.

I stopped due to time constraints and can just not get back into it so have started to buy off the shelf ready build's and just add the parts I want to them if I find something missing.

Sounds like you were building while the old 386sx and even older back when co processors were still a thing were in.

My first computer was an old Amstrad based on a Z80A then a commodore plus 4 (one of the forgotten machines, a decent enough home computer but not as good as the earlier 64), then after a while I decided to go and buy a PC, spent more than it was worth and the salesman saw me coming (a Mitac Pursuit based around a Cyrix 686 or that is what they called it with the integer performance of a Pentium 133 - supposed to be a 166 but it felt more about 133 speed - but only the floating point performance of a Pentium 75 if that) which is why I then ended up getting into home build's, as for all that tweaking ram times, running test apps to find the perfect optimization I could get back into it but that it's just a bloody head ache at the end of the day unless you actually LOVE doing that which some people do.

I had never heard that bit about the new RTX cards and that does make you wonder but I would still put my money on monopolization and keeping prices high as they stock pile in case relations with China sour as well as keeping the price artificially high, remember how LG, Samsung and other's did that with the flat screen displays before they were called out for it, after that the cost of those flat screen displays in some instances fell by more than half there former retail price, in there case these electronics manufacturers had formed a coalition of sorts to control prices and to milk the consumer for all they were worth.

No I don't think I will ever get back into self build's but you are correct you can tailor your PC exactly to your need's and also control the quality yourself, better than the off the shelf Asus I bought, the mother board leaves a lot to be desired though the AMD CPU is more than reasonable, problem with current off the shelf is that most of them do not have optical drives so you have to add your and in my case I had to then go the external USB route which is of course slower and also takes up more space outside the case on my desk which is a damned nuisance.

I say I won't get back into self builds but who knows, I just need the impetus to care again and catch up on all the little tweaks that can be made in current bios settings and which brand and type of Ram is best for my budget, which CPU will suit my needs and what beyond a home media and internet browsing computer I really want to do with it, despite having played a few (hundred or more) games over the years I am not really much of a gamer and only really like single player experiences.

I used to love flight sim's and the last controller I had was a Microsoft sidewinder 2 force feedback, it was a great stick for it's time, I can not get into game pads probably because I am getting old now and still use a track ball though those bloody things are hard to come by and over priced these days, still they are actually far-far-oh-so-far superior to a mouse once you get used to using them, roll with the fingers though not the thumb that will cause RSI so some trackballs I have seen have some serious design issues.
(my current trackball is a victim of over use and is held together these days with duck tape and super glue, I really need to get another but it's comfy even the ball is a bit sticky these days).

new topics

top topics

join