It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a national poll to find out what Black people need in order to vote

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

If ID is made free to everyone then the fact that minorities choose not to obtain one at a higher percentage than whites is irrelevant.

It's not up to everyone else to carry them over to the DMV to get an ID then carry them over to the voting booth.

You cannot argue that a voter ID would be discrimination if minorities just don't want to obtain a free ID for whatever reason they choose.

Blacks choose to murder people at a much higher percentage rate than whites. Does that point to a racist judicial system? No. It's THEIR CHOICE.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl
There was indeed some sarcasm in my post.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   
We need a list of things you can get _WITHOUT_ an I.D.

The answers and solutions are there.🤫

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Democrats declared a War on Poverty in the 1960s.

50+ years now and there's more people in poverty than ever before.

Why is that? 🤫

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Some states, such as GEORGIA, offer free ID for the purpose of voting
Funny how this is never mentioned by our watchdog media

www.eregulations.com...

next major election is 18 months away
more than enough time to obtain a FREE ID
This is just another instance of manufactured outrage
and it says a hell of a lot about the majority of Black people that they would allow themselves to be used as such
I feel no sympathy at all for them

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: network dude
Apparently Black people are very different than white people. Not just in the amount of melanin in their skin, but in their ability to get places, prove who they are, and maneuver around in this world we have built. I'm a white guy, have been all my life, so I honestly don't see it. I don't understand what differences exist that would prohibit a black man from doing the same things a white man could with regard to getting to a place at a certain time, and proving who you are.

I know there are a couple "Black" folks here on ATS that have mastered "the internet" (congratulations on such a task) perhaps we could all learn and understand what we are missing. If we could understand better what those challenges are, we could repair them.

I heard James Clyburn say something that made good sense.

America is "not about being perfect, but when you see a fault repair it," Clyburn told Fox News' Neil Cavuto on Saturday.

www.foxnews.com...

So in order to repair the faults, we need to know what they are. Explain what those things are, and we can and will fix them.

Wow... I can't believe you wrote this, and thought it was okay to post publicly. The language used in here, and the perspective is very.. disheartening.

For the purpose of remaining cordial I'll assume you have no I'll intent with your words and answer your questions.

1. Black people are not different from white people, outside of culture, systemic obstacles, and historical impediments that have set a tone for them today.

2. The real answer to your real question is poverty. It all comes down to that. Due to hundreds of years of slavery, an entire race if people was held back from personal achievement.

An entire race if people was stripped of their culture, customs, education etc.

Then after they were "freed" for another very long stretch in time they were still treated in our society as sub-human, which continually held them back all the way up until the civil rights movement.

In 1964 (not that long ago) there were alot of people in this country in opposition to civil rights. Those people continued to live in this country and held positions of power and influence, and they continued to effect and impact black lives for decades.. be it as judges, politicians, police, bank owners, doctors etc.

How does this swing back to voter ID laws?

All of these things listed above, statistically behave made it more likely for black Americans to be born into and live in poverty.

When living in poverty, access to easy conforming transportation is more difficult. You have to work more hours to survive and get less free time to run errands. You may have never gotten your birth certificate, or may not now where it is. You dont get a driver's license because there's no need since you can't buy a car. State IDs cost money, and you need to find a copy or get transportation to the courthouse to get your birth certificate.. which also costs money. Social security cards, also require transportation and money. This also.. is only even known to you if you have a household where your parents and family vote and/or have IDs, and care to pass that knowledge on, which really they're too busy due to working 18 hour days and don't have time to parent.

And all this is just a tiny sliver of why.. I could go on for hours. Voting is a right, not a privaledge and therefire the act of voting should be completely free front any and every angle to citizens.

There are twice as many whites living in poverty in the U.S. than blacks.

9% of whites are in poverty and 21% of blacks. But since whites make up 60% of the population and blacks make up 13% of the population that translates into about 18 million whites in poverty and about 9 million blacks.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This applies to all colors of people. Has anyone ever thought that if you can’t figure out how to get a birth certificate or a free ID, or find out where to vote or when to vote that it’s probably a good thing that you are not voting?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: iwanttobelieve70
This applies to all colors of people. Has anyone ever thought that if you can’t figure out how to get a birth certificate or a free ID, or find out where to vote or when to vote that it’s probably a good thing that you are not voting?

Plenty likely have, and plenty more have likely also thought that if you cannot figure out those things then you also cannot think very deeply about what you're told at voting time too. That makes you easily swayed.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
a reply to: Lucidparadox

The OP was just asking these questions in that manner because that’s the basic argument against voter ID laws from the left. You see it all the time from liberals on ATS, saying black people cant do basic things in life because they’re black. You say poverty and I say BS because I grew up in the same ghetto with drug addict parents. That didn’t stop me from getting an ID and going to vote. Just another excuse, it’s time we stop making excuses and hold everyone on merit and not race like the left seem to do so often.

Thats never been the argument against voter ID. Its a strawman argument with concerning language i might add. You want a black persons response i had my wife read the op. And her response was someone needs to beat that racists A**. So there you go you have it.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If that's the case, then why do minorities still manage to get all the million other things in this country that you need ID for?

They manage to get those things, so clearly, they are more than capable of getting along when an ID is required. So that isn't the problem.

Perhaps the issue isn't that requiring ID is discriminatory because it prevents minorities from voting because if it openly prevented them from voting, it would logically prevent them from obtaining all those other things they have that likewise require ID. Instead, perhaps the real answer is that they don't care enough about voting?

If that's the case, then no amount of loosening voting restrictions will make a difference except to allow for improper voting (i.e. cheating).

Plenty of minorities vote in states that have voter id laws. How the individual deals with the need to get an ID is irrelevant. What is relevant is that "currently" minorities are significantly less likely to have IDs.

That means minorities are less likely to get on airplanes, go into government buildings and voting .

It matters little whether they can or can not obtain IDs. What matters is that as a group they are significantly less likely to have them then whites. Under such a fact requiring ID to vote impacts minorities more than whites.

Fix that truth and than require voter ID. Doing it the other way round is discriminatory.
edit on 2-5-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

If ID is made free to everyone then the fact that minorities choose not to obtain one at a higher percentage than whites is irrelevant.

It's not up to everyone else to carry them over to the DMV to get an ID then carry them over to the voting booth.

You cannot argue that a voter ID would be discrimination if minorities just don't want to obtain a free ID for whatever reason they choose.

Blacks choose to murder people at a much higher percentage rate than whites. Does that point to a racist judicial system? No. It's THEIR CHOICE.

I can understand why you might think that.

Unfortunately money is not the only reason why a group of people might not seek IDs at the same rate as another. Therefor making IDs free only fixes part of the problem.

If society wants voter ID laws to safeguard the voting process they must figure out what besides money is preventing groups of people to forgo IDs at a large clip than other groups.

Besides money...

... there is time to consider (not everyone has 3 hours to sit at the DMV; the time it took me to renew my license recently). Single moms have a hard time putting food on the table, go over their kids homework and the other things home life depends. 3 hours at the DMV is out of the question for them.

... there is government trust to consider. Here we have a massage board full of white people who won't download a covid tracking app because they don't trust their government. Its safe to say minority groups have had a hard go of government interactions in the past (even if now life is better for them). Its not unreasonable to expect them to forgo government interaction, even for IDs.

You don't HAVE to carry minorities to get their IDs. But society does have to figure out and fix why they choose not to get IDs before they enact laws that are impacted by having an ID.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:03 PM
link   

But society does have to figure out and fix why they choose not to get IDs before they enact laws that are impacted by having an ID.

Society does not need to "fix" why someone CHOOSES to get an ID. It's their CHOICE.

They need an ID to present to their prospective employer to get a JOB. We need an ID to drive, to obtain tobacco or alcohol, hell walmart IDs people for some common household chemicals, we need an ID to fish, to rent things, to buy cars, to fly this list is too long....

Think of ALL the things you need an ID for and total them ALL up. Do you seriously believe that that total would have less importance than the singular requiring an ID to vote?

If not then why do we hear NOTHING about ANY of the other reasons there is a requirement for an ID?

You see, you cannot make the argument that requiring an ID to vote is discriminatory against blacks without arguing that it is also discriminatory against blacks with regards to ALL other reasons why they would need to produce an ID.

And if so then the same question still stands...why do we hear NOTHING about ANY of the other reasons there is a requirement for an ID?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I remember using gel in high school, and I would worry about my hair looking decent

Never did I consider that my skin colour had already put me above others

But I think it did, I was good looking, tall, white, athletic, smart and the world was mine for the taking

In my own entitlement I don’t think I could handle being told No because I was raised to believe that my potential was limitless

But what if your potential is denied? We denied the potential of a people and sucked away anything we saw of value

I’ve come to see that most White people are only not racist untill they feel wronged

Once the chips are down for the white man, then the truth comes out....a good example are the black towns that were burnt down during the Great Depression because a white man couldn’t stand to see a black man have success

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   

It still comes down to personal choice and personal responsibility.

If you choose not to go get an ID so you can fulfill your civic duty to vote. That's your choice and yours alone.

Election integrity should not be compromised to accommodate the lazy.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ADUB77

Your example is dumb and irrelevant to the current situation. That was almost 100 years ago.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ADUB77

And what of the Native Americans? Man woman and children raped and slaughtered to near extinction and then relegated to concentration camps called "reservations".

We were here before any of you and even to this day we are marginalized to an almost non existence.

But why don't you hear anything about how we have been disenfranchised far longer than even the blacks in this country? We were once enslaved also.

Have you forgotten all those movies about cowboys going around killing the Indians? We were slaughtered like animals.

Do you hear us complaining? Not so much. White folk need not try and put their selves in shoes that don't fit by trying to tell minorities when and how they should feel discriminated against or when they they should protest, etc.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

But society does have to figure out and fix why they choose not to get IDs before they enact laws that are impacted by having an ID.

Society does not need to "fix" why someone CHOOSES to get an ID. It's their CHOICE.

They need an ID to present to their prospective employer to get a JOB. We need an ID to drive, to obtain tobacco or alcohol, hell walmart IDs people for some common household chemicals, we need an ID to fish, to rent things, to buy cars, to fly this list is too long....

Think of ALL the things you need an ID for and total them ALL up. Do you seriously believe that that total would have less importance than the singular requiring an ID to vote?

If not then why do we hear NOTHING about ANY of the other reasons there is a requirement for an ID?

You see, you cannot make the argument that requiring an ID to vote is discriminatory against blacks without arguing that it is also discriminatory against blacks with regards to ALL other reasons why they would need to produce an ID.

And if so then the same question still stands...why do we hear NOTHING about ANY of the other reasons there is a requirement for an ID?

Stating all the reasons an individual may want and need to have an ID does not change the fact that minority groups are significantly less likely to have IDs. Yes it takes an ID to buy alcohol and yes minority groups are significantly less likely to have IDs than whites. Both are true and neither makes the other less true.

Yes; in the same way that voter ID laws are discriminatory towards minorities (because they are significantly less likely to have IDs as compared to whites); so to are ID laws to board an airplane discriminatory towards minorities (because they are significantly less likely to have IDs as compared to whites). Both concepts are the same ...

... the reason you don't hear minorities groups complaining about the discriminatory practice of needing an ID to board a plain is that despite what many people think these minority groups are responsible people. They know how to pick their battles, they know they can't win every argument, and they understand the arguments you are making are legitimate even if they are wrong on the whole. So they agree to having the systemic hurtles to board a air plain because doing so is far less important than voting. When it comes to voting they are much less willing to go along in order to get along.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:22 PM
link   

the reason you don't hear minorities groups complaining about the discriminatory practice of needing an ID to board a plain is that despite what many people think these minority groups are responsible people.

Show me just ONE responsible minority adult that doesn't have an ID. JUST ONE.

The internet is really really big, surly you can find just one.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

It still comes down to personal choice and personal responsibility.

If you choose not to go get an ID so you can fulfill your civic duty to vote. That's your choice and yours alone.

Election integrity should not be compromised to accommodate the lazy.

Your assumption is that everyone who does not have an ID do not have one because they are lazy ....

... you may be right; so prove it. Prove that everyone who does not have an ID is lazy.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   

EVERY responsible adult has a job to do. And what is one REQUIREMENT to getting a job or opening your own business? An ID

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join