It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dubai steals the Gemuetlichkeit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 04:52 AM
link   
www.dw.com...

Damn! The Arabs don't play.

Since Oktoberfest was cancelled in 2020 and it is not known if it will take place this year ... some entrepreneurs will stage an O-Fest in Dubai ... that will last for six months.

Six months and several tents will be a lot of beer.

Reports on Thursday about an Oktoberfest in Dubai sparked confusion and wry remarks from social media users in Germany — including jokes about wearing lederhosen in the desert.

Cheers
edit on 2-5-2021 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Surreal and cringy. Money can't buy you everything. They can do what they want but this has nothing to do with the Oktoberfest except copying the theme. I like to see some Arab women in Dirndl, not going to happen though.

It's plagiarism in the dumbest form and shape.

Dirndl
duckduckgo.com...

Burkha
duckduckgo.com...

When two worlds colide.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

The organizers will bring European women to wear the Dirndls and dish out the beer in big mugs.

They'll probably have a good-sized crowd for it, if not the people who like to attend the real Oktoberfest.

Cheers

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   

They will have to order the waitress from the real one because a filled beer mug is about 2.2kg and it takes a lot of practice to hold ten of them. It's hard work.

Haha what will they do when they grab one and the grabber receives a fotzen? Fotzen means to bitch slap someone real hard, in Bavaria. Will they stone her to death?

I totally can see this happen with the disregard about lightly clothes non arabic women that are treated like meat.
edit on 2.5.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Yes, it could happen.

I was wondering how many people will die from a combo of too much alcohol and blazing hot days.

You never know. There seem to be a steady contingent of western women in those lands, for whatever reason.

Of course, it may not take place at all. I don't think a Fest there is 100% confirmed, just something being planned.

And for six months? They're counting on a lot of thirsty tourists. But there is plenty of money in that country, so they may make it happen.

Cheers

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:50 AM
link   
If Dubai is able to grow a bumper crop of barley this year, why should they not celebrate the harvest?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

I was wondering how many people will die from a combo of too much alcohol and blazing hot days.

NONE.

If anyone dies it will be blamed on Covid.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

They can do that.

It's a farce though, copying a differnt cultures fest, blowing it out of proportions, in a country with a mindset like that.

The Octoberfest has tradition, the Arabs just money. For them it's nothing worth of meaning, it's just entertaining and once again blowing something out of proportion. It's even more ironic if you look at how they treat women and how they think about alcohol.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Actually my comment was tongue-in-cheek, British style.
I have my doubts about the barley crop in Dubai.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Oh British humor and a German...

Situation is clear

How's the weather over there?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   
don't they frown on drinking alcohol over there? I know they did when I was there.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I bet it'll be pretty cool.

They have an "Irish Village" in Dubai that's staffed with actual Irish people.
Lots of good pubs.

I saw a guy playing some kind of fiddle thing doing an Irish folk version of All along the Watchtower there once.
It was pretty awesome.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Muggy for the next month. I believe summer is going to be on a Thursday in July this year.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I'd be happy to see late spring in Europe. Getting tired of morning frost.

Cheers

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Surreal and cringy. Money can't buy you everything. They can do what they want but this has nothing to do with the Oktoberfest except copying the theme. I like to see some Arab women in Dirndl, not going to happen though.

It's plagiarism in the dumbest form and shape.

Dirndl
duckduckgo.com...

Burkha
duckduckgo.com...

When two worlds colide.

One of my favorite Drindl's

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Sounds like cultural appropriation.

And a money-making ploy.

Didn’t even know you could drink there.

Not the women anyway….

*Shrugs

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1
To bad for you, she's already engaged with someone else. I can tell by the side of the green knot.

right is engaged / in relationship
left is single / on the lookout
middle front means "it's none of your # business what my relationship status is"

knot on the backside can mean either waitress, widow or child

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Please go over and have a good time, but don't get drunk and be caught by the religious police then you'll really learn about Arab hospitality. If you're lucky they'll deport you straight away, if not it WILL hurt you very, very badly and you wont go home for a long time.
The only way they can do this is the same as the holiday complexes, completely isolated from the rest of the country with guards keeping you inside.

posted on May, 9 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Update:

Oktoberfest in Munich for 2021 officially cancelled.

Status of the Dubai event is "in planning".

Gotta say I'm glad I made it to the last Oktoberfest. No telling how long covid will impact large events in Europe. And since I'm not rushing to get the jab, I don't think any air travel anywhere is in my near future.

Cheers

posted on May, 9 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I've been to Germany a few times but never to the Oktoberfest.

Back in 2017 the town where I live hosted its own Oktoberfest in the Market Square.
A large tent was erected, Oom-pah bands performed and security were all over the place as people paid a fortune for their steins of 'German' beer delivered to them by girls in dirndl's as blokes made arses of themselves dressed in lederhosen.

The local council charged a fortune for the use of the Market Square and I know some of the security had a nice little earner letting people in 'through the back door'.

I was working in a mates pub that night and there were people pissed as handcarts all over the place; people rolling around in plant pots, bouncing from lamppost to lamppost, sitting down in shop doorways and generally being a pain in the arse in every kebab shop in town.
There was rubbish everywhere, I heard it was quite a task cleaning up the next morning.
The really amazing this is that I heard no reports of fighting.

Good luck Dubai, I think you might need it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join