It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Menthol Cigarette Ban and COVID-19

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

And then in the early 2000s Camel had a series of "flavored cigarettes". Chocolate Mint was my favorite (surprisingly not a menthol base). Of course, "candy" flavored cigarettes were banned. Some kids are rebellious and/or some parents won't do their jobs, so the rest of us can't enjoy catching cancer the flavorful way.

HA! I remember those, I think I still have the tins somewhere.

And yeah, totally agree with you. I'm not your kid's parent, YOU are. SO ACT LIKE ONE, and stop taking everyone's vices away because YOU taught your offspring nada worth listening to. Jesus H. Christ.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Eeeenteresting!

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Well I could attest to the fact that it clears up your nostrils in many case when you have a stuffed nose and have a cold.

As far as toxicity of the cigarettes, you see so many older people still smoking them apparently without any problems so it seems certain people are more susceptible than others.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Every time the dangers of smoking is brought up I'm reminded of a scene from the show Third Rock from the Sun. Dick (John Lithgow) had taken up smoking. When his colleague Dr. Allbright (Jane Curtin) declares that smoking takes years off life Dick takes a drag and responds, "Yeah, but they come off the bad end of life so who cares."

Loved that show!

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

She lived till 90 and you're sure it shortened her life span ???

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: glen200376

I'd rather dry some mint from my garden and add it to my rolling tobacco like I do with the sage

But yes, where there is a will there's a way

Rainbows
Jane

You know anything burned causes cancer, we'll have to take that away from you.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: Klassified

She lived till 90 and you're sure it shortened her life span ???

92 or 93, can't recall.

It was a little sarcasm because they always talk about the years it takes off your life. As much as she smoked, she might have lived to 150 if she never had. Or...maybe not.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Well I could attest to the fact that it clears up your nostrils in many case when you have a stuffed nose and have a cold.

As far as toxicity of the cigarettes, you see so many older people still smoking them apparently without any problems so it seems certain people are more susceptible than others.

On the NIH website, under the topic of menthol, they mention its therapeutic properties.

Menthol has been tested in humans mainly for its pharmaceutical properties, such as enhancement of lung and airway volume.

The following NIH quote is for those who may have questions about how menthol will affect the development of cancers. Menthol is toxic for cancer cells.

Aside from its cold-inducing sensation capabilities, menthol exhibits cytotoxic effects in cancer cells, induces reduction in malignant cell growth, and engages in synergistic excitation of GABA receptors and sodium ion channels resulting in analgesia.

NIH Link

ETA: Based on that last tidbit, it seems that menthol cigarettes may be healthier than regular tobacco cigarettes and may have beneficial effects as a COVID treatment. Curious-er and curious-er! Here we go down the rabbit hole.
edit on 2-5-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I thought I'd post that I'm not advocating that anyone with COVID symptoms, or are found to be infected or are so sick they're near needing a ventilator, should smoke a pack of Kools or Newports every day as a treatment or therapy. Use the nicotine patch or gum (yuck!) and apply a menthol rub frequently if you want to test this theory out.

On the other hand, maybe we should all buy a carton or two, if not for health reasons then at least as an investment when the supply dries up. Nothing like a black market deal in a dark back ally. Like prison or jail, cigarettes are currency. Read up on what kind of black market economies develop in war zones and countries in economic collapse. Cigarettes and ammo are in high demand in those situations.

Actually, you could buy natural menthol essential oils from an aroma therapy store, lace up some regular tobacco and roll them yourself. That will be the new cigarette prohibition era version of bathtub gin.
edit on 2-5-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   

For what it's worth - and not being racist - many African Americans prefer menthol - especially Newport.

This is based on first hand knowledge as my sister owns a store that sells cigarettes.

IN other words, it may be a cultural thing.

But what do I know?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

For what it's worth - and not being racist - many African Americans prefer menthol - especially Newport.

This is based on first hand knowledge as my sister owns a store that sells cigarettes.

IN other words, it may be a cultural thing.

But what do I know?

Let's say your statement is true. Let's have a look at these facts.

The majority of African Americans prefer menthol cigarettes.
The African American population has been hard hit hardest by COVID.
NIH studies have shown that nicotine and menthol have beneficial effects suitable for COVID treatments.
The NIH is the scientific authority on COVID and makes recommendations to the government on treatments.
The NIH states the need for more research on nicotine's beneficial effects on treating COVID but does none.
The government wants to ban menthol cigarettes because it disproportionately has negative affects on the health of African Americans.

What kind of conclusion can one come to when reviewing the facts from Faucci's NIH?
edit on 2-5-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

I'm still left wondering if this ban on menthol cigarettes is a potential cover up or worse, to intentionally drive up the mortality of the pandemic, specifically in the black community.

Coincidentally, we were talking about menthol cigarettes the other day. As a reformed smoker of over 20 years, I hadn't even realised they've been banned.

Thing is, they're banned across most of the developed world. Make of that what you will.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I mentioned to the store owner where I get my cigarettes from that they are trying to ban my cigarettes. They are menthol. I told him I had read that it was to help the black community live longer cause they smoke mostly menthol. He told me the real reason was that they want to do away with vaping and they can’t do that if menthol cigarettes are still available. They also own the local vape store. That is a different angle to think about. Although I have no idea what the truth is. I do know I enjoy my cigarettes.

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: wehere
I mentioned to the store owner where I get my cigarettes from that they are trying to ban my cigarettes. They are menthol. I told him I had read that it was to help the black community live longer cause they smoke mostly menthol. He told me the real reason was that they want to do away with vaping and they can’t do that if menthol cigarettes are still available. They also own the local vape store. That is a different angle to think about. Although I have no idea what the truth is. I do know I enjoy my cigarettes.

Could be many reasons, but in the end it seems to always come back to some racist ideal and so they turn it into a virtual signaling event. In this case about 85% of the people who use menthol are Black so it is obvious racist...lol

Even though a good number of Black people smoke nice cigars and drink great whiskey I hope more do not take that up as I wouldn't want to lose my vices too...

posted on May, 3 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Concerning the following point I made in my last post,

The NIH states the need for more research on nicotine's beneficial effects on treating COVID but does none.

I understand why they were so interested in nicotine but never did more research.

Therapeutics and prophylactics for coronaviruses, like Hydroxychloroquine, have been approved in WHO, CDC and NIH websites. But, suddenly in 2020 they were banned. Why? Because, according to FDA rules only when there are no alternative therapeutics can untested vaccines be cleared for Emergency Use Authorization.

Link

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 01:25 AM
link   

At this point in time, anyone who comes out and says they support the smoking Bans is just virtue signalling because they think they will be well thought of. Why don't they do the same to alcohol which is a drug that causes more harm? probably because booze does actually destroy brain cells.

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Will Menthol cigarettes be collectors items 10 years from now?

posted on May, 5 2021 @ 04:04 AM
link   

My grandfather smoked from 12 to when he died at 88.

He started out smoking Luckys and the for the last 50 years of his life,he smoked Kools.

On a side note,my grandfather would hunt alot.He would take a sketch pad with him.He never hauled out any game,but would come out of the woods every time with some beautiful wildlife sketches...everytime.
edit on 5-5-2021 by crazyeddie68 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Well, that's the case pretty much with anything. The increase in cardiovascular and lung diseases is statistical and not specific to any one person. But that doesn't make it any less toxic, overall. Some people still have asbestos in their lungs from times during their lives when they were exposed and never developed asbestosis or mesothelioma. It has an incubation period of 40-50 years in some cases. A lot of people die before the symptoms ever appear.

My unpopular opinion comes from studies that show that if people stop smoking at any age the symptoms will lessen or actually go away. My opinion is that tobacco shouldn't have a minimum legal age, but rather a maximum legal age. We should let kids smoke all they want, but not past their 30th birthday. (Big brain time.)

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

but unfiltered weed is fine. Go figure.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join