It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Votes To Restore Regulations On Methane Emissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hold on to your butts.

Senate Votes To Restore Regulations On Climate-Warming Methane Emissions

The U.S. Senate has taken a step toward more vigorously regulating climate-warming methane leaks from the oil and gas industry, a move supporters say is key to achieving President Biden's ambitious climate goals.

Senators on Wednesday reversed a Trump rollback by voting on a resolution under the Congressional Review Act

Methane is the main ingredient in natural gas. When released before it burns, it's a far more potent greenhouse gas than even carbon dioxide. But it does not linger in the atmosphere nearly as long. That means eliminating leaks now could have an immediate effect on global warming.

link

With the increased pressure the Biden administration is placing on the primary means of energy in the country they are intentionally or unintentionally in the process of putting the squeeze on the most vulnerable Americans who are going to find the costs of goods and food continue to increase as well as the costs to get to work and keep warm in the winter. This ofcourse will hurt porer Americans much more than the more wealthy. Those that can will be able to mitigate the cost increases. I recently bought a new more efficient home much closer to work. I guess those less fortunate can just lock themselves away at home as much as they can in order bring down their cost of living.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said this month that methane and carbon dioxide "continued their unrelenting rise in 2020 despite the economic slowdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic response".

Than again maybe that doesn't really work.

This is the part I don't understand:

But the oil and gas industry is split over this issue. Larger companies generally support the Obama-era rules, while smaller companies oppose them.

Big oil is heavily invested in natural gas and worries that if methane emissions aren't controlled, it could undermine arguments that gas is a cleaner-burning fossil fuel than coal.

Smaller drillers worry stricter regulations will be expensive. They prefer voluntary measures to limit methane emissions.

If the big guys are happy to take on these new regulations (and pass the cost onto their customers) why do they need the government to impose the regulations at all? Why can't they self regulate?

Maybe they are worried the small fries will pick up bit more market share if they are not required to follow the regulations and forced to pass the costs onto their customers. Instead its better for the big guys to simply crush the small fries. Hey it worked for the big box stores during covid.

edit on 30-4-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

Well let’s be honest here.
The easiest way to drastically reduce carbon and methane emissions is to absolutely destroy the economy.
Green tech cannot replace the current needs of the country so what’s the only answer? Reduce the need.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Well let’s be honest here.
The easiest way to drastically reduce carbon and methane emissions is to absolutely destroy the economy.
Green tech cannot replace the current needs of the country so what’s the only answer? Reduce the need.

Since climate change is a disaster that will far out pace the loss of human capital seen during the covid crisis can the governments of the world use the precedents they just created to deal with covid to now deal with climate change?

Force small business to shutter; force most people to lose their jobs and by extension reduce their activities; lock down people in their homes; lock up people in FEMA camps?

As we have seen this past year the needs of society out weigh the freedoms of the individual. Its the governments duty to safeguard society from the individual. Why would this mandate not apply to other disasters such as climate change?

edit on 30-4-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The climate is changing into hostile governments.
Wtf is going on?

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Large oil companies can afford to pass it onto the consumer as they have their own infrastructure in place and tax benefits through our government.

Smaller companies will be squeezed out of business, to be bought up by the larger oil companies.

Half of my old customers were smaller oil companies... I preferred to work with them.

All but 2 of the companies I used to work with are currently bankrupt.

Both of those will be gone by this fall.

Big Oil is attempting to corner the market again.

The only way they can do that is by government regulation helping them.

It looks like they will succeed this time.

As an aside....

Ever wonder why the Democrats have to shut down the American oil industry because of concerns about global climate change, yet it seems that most of their family members sit in positions of power...

In oil companies residing outside the United States?

Are those companies (looking at you, Hunter) not also a part of our planet?

Hypocrisy much?

Follow the money on Democratic family members and you will see why Democrats cannot have an America that is energy independent.

Like it was last year, for the first time since the 70's.

No wonder they hate Trump so much.

He was costing them money.

edit on 30-4-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Climate change has little to do with levels of CO2. Generally it is solar output and insolation of the earth. The good news is that NASA says that CO2 levels are now greening the earth.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Large oil companies who can afford to pass the costs onto the consumer and will succeed at cornering the market might find it lonely when the Democrats decide to be a more frigid bedfellow.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dandandat2
Large oil companies who can afford to pass the costs onto the consumer and will succeed at cornering the market might find it lonely when the Democrats decide to be a more frigid bedfellow.

Large oil companies are worldwide.

As are the family members of Democrats sitting in positions of power in large oil companies worldwide.

They just want the price of oil up.... globally.

This isn't rocket science.

OH!!!

Wait till I tell you about the part where the Democratic party bans fracking but Big Oil has figured out a way to do the exact same process that is mostly automated, will cause the loss of 100,000's of jobs but will be lauded by the Democrats as "Green" because it isn't the "traditional" fracking process...

ETA... oop... I went over some heads.

Going to watch a movie.

edit on 30-4-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Methane again? The biggest producer of methane in the world is termites. It is made by processing the wood they eat in their digestive system. How are we going to fit tiny methane recovery units on each and every termite 'exhaust' port? Then again, that would provide us with an endless supply of methane.

posted on Apr, 30 2021 @ 11:50 PM
link   

The “Big Oil” companies contribute a crap load of money to both candidates.

Who cares who wins when both equally funded??

And that is why the whole DJT era is dumb.

Nothing has changed besides more pollution and the strength of judgmentaliam.

Climate is the “low fruit” amongst these A-h#.

The radicals standing up are being beat down by their own parties.

It’s my party….

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Democrats answer is always lower the quality of life for everyone so we can all be equally miserable. I am not willing to change my lifestyle for these nut jobs in DC.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Republicans answer is to lower taxes on the rich.

What is your point?

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: Metallicus

Republicans answer is to lower taxes on the rich.

What is your point?

Democrats also love class warfare. Thank you for reminding me.

top topics

join