It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA poised to ban menthol cigarettes this week, experts predict

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I quit smoking cigarettes years ago, and only enjoy the occasional cigar these days. Yet, this has me a little angry. I fail to see how banning menthols is going to make a difference. Either ban all tobacco or none at all. Too many adults enjoy their menthols. I think that vaping is a bigger concern among children than tobacco is nowadays.

FDA poised to band menthol cigarettes

+26 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

Banning menthol cigarettes is racist!

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

it could be seen that way, but I do know that there are white people who smoke menthols. I was one.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

Banning menthol cigarettes is racist!

You have a point. Black people smoke Newports and Kools. Both heavy in Menthol. Like their boss, the Biden admin doesn't like Black people.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   

From the article you linked in your OP

The vast majority of Black smokers — 85 percent — use menthol cigarettes.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

I gave you a star for reading the article. too many people don't do that before they comment.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Been tobacco-free for 4 years after 40 plus years of daily use, the best thing I ever did, But I agree this is just too much

Smoking doesn't seem to be the issue it used to be, an outright ban even on flavors is pretty much overreach

From the link...

The FDA's decision would not ban menthol immediately, but rather kick off the rule-making process to do so, which could take years.

"The winds are definitely in our favor," said Delmonte Jefferson, executive director of the Center for Black Health & Equity, citing both the decades of data that show that the cooling flavor in cigarettes makes it easier to start smoking combined with the current cultural momentum toward improving the lives of Black Americans.

New guidelines lower lung cancer screening age for high-risk smokers

When inhaled, menthol produces a cooling sensation in the throat, reducing the harsh taste of cigarettes and the irritation of nicotine. The vast majority of Black smokers — 85 percent — use menthol cigarettes. And Black men and women are much less likely than white Americans to be diagnosed with lung cancer at an earlier, potentially more treatable stage. Black men have the highest lung cancer death rate in the country.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The systemic racism is spreading like wildfire, now it's taking away the favorite cigarette of people of color, what's next?

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
I quit smoking cigarettes years ago, and only enjoy the occasional cigar these days. Yet, this has me a little angry. I fail to see how banning menthols is going to make a difference. Either ban all tobacco or none at all. Too many adults enjoy their menthols. I think that vaping is a bigger concern among children than tobacco is nowadays.

FDA poised to band menthol cigarettes

wait, what?

The Food and Drug Administration appears likely to move to ban menthol in cigarettes this week — a step, experts say, that has been years in the making and that could have a significant positive impact on the health of Black Americans.

LOL, so would teaching kids in the inner city not to join gangs and kill each other, but I don't think that's really what's going on here.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6 & a reply to: network dude

Wouldn't getting these people better healthcare do more for them than banning menthols?

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   
As a smoker, I can't say on one hand that banning smoking wouldn't be terrible.

However as someone who respects rights to choose, this would be terrible.

Choosing a flavor of cigarette is absolutely asinine and surely bolsters a response to "racist" as the new normal term.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
As a former ciggy smoker who quit via vaping, and over the past winter has rekindled a love of stout cigars and smooth pipe tobaccos, I have to admit here that while I'm in no spot to ever be tempted to pick up a cig again (seriously, pipe tobacco is a huge step up in quality here) edit: Think I accidentally deleted the rest of that, trying again: I don't see an issue with flavors for them any more than I do for any other type of tobacco.

But that does not mean I approve of the crushing overreach against the cigs and vape systems I no longer partake in. none of this crap needs to be illegal, we need to dial back a few decades/generations and start slapping the personal responsibility into people again.
Keep advertising nill as it is, or outright ban anything not a shelf-ready Open & Set box.
Pack everything in grey in Courier Sans fricking font on Black Lung background for all I care, just stop taking the damn enjoyment out of life.
Beyond that, it's just a personal choice, so a swift kick to the pubic bone is in order to remind people of that when everything else alluring is removed. THIS, however, is just too damn much to ask of these crybabies.

Swear to god, the damn health freaks are the most miserable, rigid bastards out there. They're living a long life all right, but there's no joy to them at ALL.
edit on 4/27/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Awww...how sweet!😊

The warm and fuzzy government is once again coming to the rescue to save black people from themselves and the "systemically fascist, er...rascist healthcare system".

I wonder if they'll push for tobacco "reparations". I mean if the government is willing to admit black smokers are specifically targeted with menthols, that lawsuit would be huge.

Nevermind that no one forces ANYONE to take up smoking or menthols for that matter.🙄

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Those Karen's can f%*& right off! Are they really dumb enough to think banning menthol is goong to stop black smokers... Guess what...they will all be smoking Crush type menthol next...and when they try to ban that in 5 years guess what they're just gonna smoke something else. Its about as dumb as the war on drugs...that worked great right!

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
a reply to: putnam6 & a reply to: network dude

Wouldn't getting these people better healthcare do more for them than banning menthols?

You'd think that be the path, but better choices and JOBS naturally lead to better health and less healthcare.

I know that's a wild concept but you gotta start somewhere.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
They should actually ban the pharma-grade MAO-inhibitors that are allowed to be present in cigarettes. MAO-inhibitors are essentially the ingredient that causes such high addiction rates to cigarettes. MAO is an enzyme in your body that metabolizes the addictive properties of cigarettes, so MAO-inhibitors makes it more difficult for your body to smoke cigarettes in moderation

MAO-inhibitors in cigarettes

4 known MAO-inhibitors in cigarettes:
acetophenone
benzophenone
thiazole
farnesol
edit on 27-4-2021 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Menthol cigarettes are way worse for people than regular tobacco. Hands down. I found lots of evidence showing that, yet the chemical processes are not circulating in media because people want all tobacco banned not just menthol. You mix methyl chemistry with nicotine chemistry and it increases ammonia. Ammonia in the blood increases when you drink coffee and smoke, the antidote for methyl overdose is nicotinic acid., and the antidote for nicotinic acid overdose is methyl. Coffee is an antidote for cigarettes, and cigarettes can be used to control the side effects of methyl. The Ammonia forming in the lungs themselves is no good though. Palagra like symptoms can form from too much methyl in the body, too much Nicotinic acid can cause other types of diseases. Natives here in America ate high methyl corn and used hot sauce to balance it.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

Awww...how sweet!😊

The warm and fuzzy government is once again coming to the rescue to save black people from themselves and the "systemically fascist, er...rascist healthcare system".

I wonder if they'll push for tobacco "reparations". I mean if the government is willing to admit black smokers are specifically targeted with menthols, that lawsuit would be huge.

Nevermind that no one forces ANYONE to take up smoking or menthols for that matter.🙄

I'm guessing you wrote that sort of in jest, but with the Government admitting to disproportional harm on Black People due to something they could have outlawed long ago, but chose not to, could be ripe for massive lawsuits. If we are already at the point of realistically talking about reparations, the train to idiotville has left the station and moving along nicely towards it's final destination.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The same party that wants to legalize all kinds of drugs and killing babies even after birth wants to ban a certain type of cig? Wow.

posted on Apr, 27 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   

So state, local, federal governments are decriminalizing heroin, meth, crack, making pot legal. . .

And they're going to ban menthol cigarettes'?

So much stupid. . . .

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join