It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huron-Manistee National Forest Near Oscoda MI is on Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   
What started out as a controlled burn to make the forest less likely to burn out of control turned into what they wanted to avoid.
Some say it was a windy day. Others say there have been warnings for dry conditions.

It has been dry in Michigan. Little snow this past winter, and not so many soaking spring rains as the area needs.
So, I can see the need to mitigate by burning the excess fuel.
wiki

The Huron National Forest is prone to frequent seasonal forest fires, due to ecological and geological factors including the domination of the jack pine in sections the forests, the needles of which are extremely flammable,[2] sandy soil composition as a result of glacial outwash plain geology of sections of the Huron National Forest,[3] and jack pine barrens management practices to create nesting habitat for the Kirtland's warbler resulting in dense, young stands of jack pine that are extremely susceptible to crowning wildfires.

This link contains a short video of the fire

A controlled burn operation in Iosco County has burned out of control, according to Michigan State Police.

It has since been declared a wildfire, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

www.fox17online.com...

Cannot find the article again, but the fire was north of Sand Lake, and did cross River Road which was closed for some time.
IIRC, the red highlighted road is River Road.
www.fhwa.dot.gov...

firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map

There are more fire details here
thepinkreportnews.com...

A controlled burn in northern lower Michigan has grown into a wildfire that has affected nearly 6,000 acres and forced evacuations in multiple communities, state police said.

Officials with the U.S. Forest Service, who started what was supposed to be a controlled burn, remained on the scene alongside multiple agencies past 9 p.m., said Joshua Veal, public affairs officer for the Huron-Manistee National Forests, where the fire originated.

Multiple aircraft, including tankers, also were involved in the efforts, he added. “We’re working really hard on our side to catch it and get it suppressed.”

edit on Sat Apr 24 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix links and add maps

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm on the other side of the lower in the Manistee National Forest, very far from this, but I can see this happening from people just burning leaves around here. Scary when you live in the woods, fire is my greatest concern around here.

posted on Apr, 24 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I hear that!
When we travel north and see all the homes off the road and on the edge of these forests, it's scary.
Scary to think how easy a fire can start.

What I don't understand is why Huron and Manistee are hyphenated, as they don't seem to be connected, at least not on the wiki map, at the above link.

posted on May, 1 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Still burning according to the news the other day, it's May 1st now.

top topics

join