It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trust the science: nih.gov

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Conclusion The existing scientific evidences challenge the safety and efficacy of wearing facemask as preventive intervention for COVID-19. The data suggest that both medical and non-medical facemasks are ineffective to block human-to-human transmission of viral and infectious disease such SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, supporting against the usage of facemasks. Wearing facemasks has been demonstrated to have substantial adverse physiological and psychological effects. These include hypoxia, hypercapnia, shortness of breath, increased acidity and toxicity, activation of fear and stress response, rise in stress hormones, immunosuppression, fatigue, headaches, decline in cognitive performance, predisposition for viral and infectious illnesses, chronic stress, anxiety and depression. Long-term consequences of wearing facemask can cause health deterioration, developing and progression of chronic diseases and premature death. Governments, policy makers and health organizations should utilize prosper and scientific evidence-based approach with respect to wearing facemasks, when the latter is considered as preventive intervention for public health.

NIH dot gov website

I’m in Florida and only we are a mask in Walmart because my wife works there and doctors offices. Only had one mask nazi say anything all year. Nice to be more or less back to normal. But I hear lots of places are still cucked by this mask bull#.

The science has never been on the side of masks with this disease. Scientists have been telling us this since the beginning. Then they changed mid-statement because of politicians.

Anyways read the report. Masks are causing a lot of problems and this doesn’t even get into psychological effects on children in the summary. Or the effect these stupid political knee jerk reactions are going to have on their behavioral, and cognitive development in schools or lack there of in most states.

I don’t really have a lot to say other than # this bull#.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
"Just shut up and do what I say" 😃

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

I agree, and thank you for posting this science. 👍🏻

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Waiting for the ATS squad to tellme why this science is wrong and their science is right.

P.s it says so on most masks ( does not protect you from covid19 )

Science damns you!

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   

They've never cared about the science behind any of this. It's never been about science, it's been about feelings. I still remember reading the sign posted up by the bus company here last year when they finally decided to make masks mandatory...it said it all...

'All of our passengers deserve to feel comfortable and safe on blah blah transit vehicles. Masks will be mandatory until further notice for the emotional wellbeing of our customers.'

I # you not...nothing about covid or death...just #ing feelings...it's always been.

Don't wanna wear a mask, you're probably a sociopath who hates grandma and wants her to die

or the line you hear from idiots

'I wear a mask because i know it makes people around me feel less worried.'

I'm so sick and tired of people's goddamned feelings being the primary motivation behind every stupid policy and insane bull#.we've seen for the last year and longer.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Masks? Masks! We don’t need no stinking masks!

But what about all that extra plastic going into the environment? It can’t be good even if goes in a landfill.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
Masks? Masks! We don’t need no stinking masks!

But what about all that extra plastic going into the environment? It can’t be good even if goes in a landfill.

Even ones made out of cotton can actually be made out of plastic.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   
if an article this thin was published, full of meta analyses, but came to a conclusion you didn't like, you would all be picking it apart to the Nth degree and arguing why this is not good enough evidence, and the word 'peer-reviewed' would be sprinkled around liberally.

yet this, you accept at face value, and celebrate, and do not think critically about.

just an observation... i haven't had this post peer-reviewed yet

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

They've never cared about the science behind any of this. It's never been about science, it's been about feelings.

No , it is about power over other people.
Just like all the rest of the bull___ going on nowadays.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I think I’d just use my own brain.

The virus is what, a thousand or so times smaller than the mesh of the medical masks let alone the cotton and polyester masks most people wear?

If this were a plague the likes the politicians and msm pretend people would be walking around in hazmat suits.

This is pure BS to spread fear and control.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

edit on 4/22/21 by Gothmog because: WTF ?

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

viruses very rarely travel isolated through the air... they are usually enmeshed in droplets of moisture, which are bigger.

i don't know how many times i and others have repeated that simple fact, and yet this disinformation you've posted persists.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Pot, meet the kettle. You spend all day lapping up anything published by official government channels then have the audacity to make that statement.

You could sift through the reference material if you would like a more detailed and thorough analysis.

To be fair, it seems quite comprehensive.

1. Fisher E.M., Noti J.D., Lindsley W.G., Blachere F.M., Shaffer R.E. Validation and application of models to predict facemask influenza contamination in healthcare settings. Risk Anal. 2014;34:1423–1434. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
2. World Health Organization. Advice on the use of masks in the context of COVID-19. Geneva, Switzerland; 2020.
3. Sohrabi C., Alsafi Z., O'Neill N., Khan M., Kerwan A., Al-Jabir A. World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) Int J Surg. 2020;76:71–76. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
4. Worldometer. COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC. 2020.
5. Fauci A.S., Lane H.C., Redfield R.R. Covid-19 - Navigating the Uncharted. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1268–1269. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
6. Shrestha S.S., Swerdlow D.L., Borse R.H., Prabhu V.S., Finelli L., Atkins C.Y. Estimating the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in the United States (April 2009-April 2010) Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52(Suppl 1):S75–S82. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
7. Thompson W.W., Weintraub E., Dhankhar P., Cheng P.Y., Brammer L., Meltzer M.I. Estimates of US influenza-associated deaths made using four different methods. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2009;3:37–49. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
8. Centers for Disease, C., Prevention. Estimates of deaths associated with seasonal influenza --- United States, 1976-2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010,59:1057-62. [PubMed]
9. Richardson S., Hirsch J.S., Narasimhan M., Crawford J.M., McGinn T., Davidson K.W. Presenting Characteristics, Comorbidities, and Outcomes Among 5700 Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19 in the New York City Area. JAMA. 2020 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
10. Ioannidis J.P.A., Axfors C., Contopoulos-Ioannidis D.G. Population-level COVID-19 mortality risk for non-elderly individuals overall and for non-elderly individuals without underlying diseases in pandemic epicenters. Environ Res. 2020;188 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
11. American College of Sports Medicine . Sixth ed. Lippincott Wiliams & Wilkins; Baltimore: 2010. ACSM's Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Priscription. [Google Scholar]
12. Farrell P.A., Joyner M.J., Caiozzo V.J. second edition. Lippncott Williams & Wilkins; Baltimore: 2012. ACSM's Advanced Exercise Physiology. [Google Scholar]
13. Kenney W.L., Wilmore J.H., Costill D.L. 5th ed. Human Kinetics; Champaign, IL: 2012. Physiology of sport and exercise. [Google Scholar]
14. World Health Organization. Advice on the use of masks in the community, during home care and in health care settings in the context of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak. Geneva, Switzerland; 2020.
15. Sperlich B., Zinner C., Hauser A., Holmberg H.C., Wegrzyk J. The Impact of Hyperoxia on Human Performance and Recovery. Sports Med. 2017;47:429–438. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
16. Wiersinga W.J., Rhodes A., Cheng A.C., Peacock S.J., Prescott H.C. Pathophysiology, Transmission, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): A Review. JAMA. 2020 [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
17. Zhu N., Zhang D., Wang W., Li X., Yang B., Song J. A Novel Coronavirus from Patients with Pneumonia in China, 2019. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:727–733. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
18. Poston J.T., Patel B.K., Davis A.M. Management of Critically Ill Adults With COVID-19. JAMA. 2020 [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
19. MacIntyre C.R., Seale H., Dung T.C., Hien N.T., Nga P.T., Chughtai A.A. A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers. BMJ open. 2015;5 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
20. Patil K.D., Halperin H.R., Becker L.B. Cardiac arrest: resuscitation and reperfusion. Circ Res. 2015;116:2041–2049. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
21. Hazinski M.F., Nolan J.P., Billi J.E., Bottiger B.W., Bossaert L., de Caen A.R. Part 1: Executive summary: 2010 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science With Treatment Recommendations. Circulation. 2010;122:S250–S275. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
22. Kleinman M.E., Goldberger Z.D., Rea T., Swor R.A., Bobrow B.J., Brennan E.E. American Heart Association Focused Update on Adult Basic Life Support and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Quality: An Update to the American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. Circulation. 2018;137:e7–e13. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
23. Lurie K.G., Nemergut E.C., Yannopoulos D., Sweeney M. The Physiology of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. Anesth Analg. 2016;122:767–783. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
24. Chandrasekaran B., Fernandes S. “Exercise with facemask; Are we handling a devil's sword?” - A physiological hypothesis. Med Hypotheses. 2020;144 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
25. Konda A., Prakash A., Moss G.A., Schmoldt M., Grant G.D., Guha S. Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks. ACS Nano. 2020;14:6339–6347. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
26. Leung N.H.L., Chu D.K.W., Shiu E.Y.C., Chan K.H., McDevitt J.J., Hau B.J.P. Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks. Nat Med. 2020;26:676–680. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
27. Gao M., Yang L., Chen X., Deng Y., Yang S., Xu H. A study on infectivity of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers. Respir Med. 2020;169 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
28. Smith J.D., MacDougall C.C., Johnstone J., Copes R.A., Schwartz B., Garber G.E. Effectiveness of N95 respirators versus surgical masks in protecting health care workers from acute respiratory infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. CMAJ. 2016;188:567–574. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
29. Chou R., Dana T., Jungbauer R., Weeks C., McDonagh M.S. Masks for Prevention of Respiratory Virus Infections, Including SARS-CoV-2, in Health Care and Community Settings: A Living Rapid Review. Ann Intern Med. 2020 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
30. Chu D.K., Akl E.A., Duda S., Solo K., Yaacoub S., Schunemann H.J. Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2020;395:1973–1987. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
31. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Implementation of Mitigation Strategies for Communities with Local COVID-19 Transmission. Atlanta, Georgia; 2020.
32. Isaacs D., Britton P., Howard-Jones A., Kesson A., Khatami A., Marais B. Do facemasks protect against COVID-19? J Paediatr Child Health. 2020;56:976–977. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
33. Laveneziana P., Albuquerque A., Aliverti A., Babb T., Barreiro E., Dres M. ERS statement on respiratory muscle testing at rest and during exercise. Eur Respir J. 2019;53 [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

To name just a few.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

this 'hypothesis' analyzes other studies and attempts to weave them into a set of assumptions to support a conclusion. it is not backed by rigorous testing and in fact, contradicts many other studies that have quite a bit more substance.

apparently you think having a long list of references is proof of something, but i can assure you it is not.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   

You're forgetting contamination of surfaces, the water then generally evaporates. How can we mitigate this transmission risk, glove mandates, or maybe we should enshrine in law that you must wash hands every 20 minutes, sterilise any surface we touch?

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   

So you've read the reference material and can offer a more accurate, informed and balanced summary? Otherwise you're just blowing hot air as per usual.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In my neck of the woods we don't wear masks,only to protect the populace from my craziness *woop woop the flat earth is real hummina hummina purple monkey dishwasher*

Its a fear campaign.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

this 'hypothesis' analyzes other studies and attempts to weave them into a set of assumptions to support a conclusion. it is not backed by rigorous testing and in fact, contradicts many other studies that have quite a bit more substance.

apparently you think having a long list of references is proof of something, but i can assure you it is not.

Please post the studies that fit your criteria that show masks work in large indoor spaces and parks, which is part of the mask recommendations I've seen tossed out. Given your standards for proof you've looked them up to confirm what the news is telling you, right?

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: samuelsson

Waiting for the ATS squad to tellme why this science is wrong and their science is right.

Prophecy fulfilled.

2nd

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   

well if you keep up with the scientific literature, you are surely aware that surface transmission has been shown to be much less of a vector than transmission via respirated droplets.

as for analyzing the literature, i don't have to. they cite all the facts they are referencing. it is the attempt to make the facts into their hypothesis that is at fault, and again, if they had come to the opposite conclusion, you would be saying as much.

by the way, i'm not sure why you are so fascinated with my posts but it's starting to feel a bit stalker-y. maybe let someone else yell at me for your side? there are plenty who are willing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join