It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking and COVID-19 again

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Just to cue in irony points, the "smokin'" gif is from the movie, "The Mask".

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

and 420 was yesterday!

I got no excuses

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Glad I vape, best of both worlds

edit on 21-4-2021 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Just to cue in irony points, the "smokin'" gif is from the movie, "The Mask".

Now there's a guy who knows how to tackle problems!

The Mask 2024!
edit on 2142021 by Wide-Eyes because: Typo

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Does this include pot smokers?

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   

it seems the data still points towards current smokers having the least risk of serious harm or hospitalization from covid followed by never smokers and then past smokers.

Just my unscientific observation........

People that smoke are protected
People that take blood pressure medication are protected

Overweight people are high risk
People with kidney issues are very high risk (I've known 3 people with kidney issues that have died from Covid)

edit on 21-4-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: GravitySucks
Didn't one of the treatments for Ebola have tobacco in it?

Apparently so!

Ebola Tobacco Time

Tobacco kills but it makes sure it kills everything else before you.

It's not the nicotine or tobacco that kills. It's all the other poisonous things they add to cigs.

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Interesting. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Having looked though the document, I'm thinking the "study" is a little more than horse poo. I mean, seriously:

"patients who smoked more than 100 cigarettes in their lifetime were considered smokers "

Thats the equivalent of smoking for a couple of days ...during their entire life!

I would not consider someone who smokes one cig at the end of a long night drinking (or fun night in bed) a "smoker". Would you ?

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheResidentAlien
Having looked though the document, I'm thinking the "study" is a little more than horse poo. I mean, seriously:

"patients who smoked more than 100 cigarettes in their lifetime were considered smokers "

Thats the equivalent of smoking for a couple of days ...during their entire life!

I would not consider someone who smokes one cig at the end of a long night drinking (or fun night in bed) a "smoker". Would you ?

Very true....I smoked about 2 packs per day for 5 ot 6 years....so....ill say 30/day for 5 years....just under 11k smokes.

Methinks the data may be skewed....

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: GravitySucks.

Yes all the additives approved by the FDA, including rice as a filler which is a known carcinogen when burnt, have they really our best interests at heart?

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 11:01 PM
link   
My Dr told me once that a virus needs a healthy set of lungs to thrive on so it can spread. Makes sense to me

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I think it is the B-Carboline and Harmaline in tobacco that is keeping the covid from getting out of hand, leaving these people with a very mild case because those chemistries can dampen overreaction. The Nicotine can have some positive effects on stopping covid but I just feel it is some other part of the tobacco chemistry that is helping the most. There are a lot of chemistries in Tobacco, some of which they subtract pharmaceutical chemistries out of to make medications..

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I hail from a very rural area, even more rural way back when. Anyways, I remember a very long time ago an 'oldie' telling me when winter colds and such were 'doing the rounds' they would start dishing out cigarettes to the younger children to smoke to prevent them getting ill! I was gobsmacked back then, the late '70's when I was told the story, as all you heard then was how bad smoking is for you. He claimed it worked.
I guess when you have smaller communities people can work things out for themselves by just observing and trying.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheResidentAlien

No, not really, I would disagree.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Man,I really hope you're kidding.

If not,that's a new sports car payment/month.

edit on 22-4-2021 by crazyeddie68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Let's break this down.
Look to the tobacco plant first, pretty much not too much harmful stuff in there, not that there isn't, just that there is very tiny amount of chemicals, which make up the plant, that you can consider 'harmful'. For example, nicotine in and of itself is not that harmful, but it is the addictive part of the plant.
Now look to the filters. THAT is where the problem is! Look to the chemicals they infuse into the filters with the claim that they 'filter out' some of the harmful chemicals, total contradiction.

I can only speak from personal experience. I smoked traditional cigarettes up to about 20 years ago. Swapped to hand rolling tobacco and rolled using filters. Over the years I started getting a bit of a smokers cough. One winter we got snowed in and I ran out of filters. There was no way I could get out to get more. So started rolling without filters. Within DAYS my 'smokers cough' (although nowhere near what you'd call a bad one) cleared up.
I've smoked 'my own' sans filters for last 15 years. No smokers cough.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Maybe just because the nicotine is a poison and kills the virus...that simple.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
Nicotine is also used as an agricultural pesticide, could there be some angle there? Is the nicotine lessening the severity? Is there a coating in the lungs from smoking that doesn't allow covid to be so aggressive?🤷🏾‍♂️

If you're currently smoking, your body is in a constant, amplified damage and repair cycle. Inflammations galore. You'd think that would spell disaster when coupled with covid-19...🤔🤔

Hell, this study could be nothing more than tobacco industry funded research/propaganda.🤨

I can confirm that nicotine is a great natural pesticide.

I had a backyard years ago filled with fleas, they were so dense that just walking through the yard resulted in several ankle bites. I found out that fleas hate tobacco and that you could buy tobacco dust cheap. I bought two giant bags of it. I spread the first bag through the yard and within days the fleas were gone. Ended up using the other bag on my neighbors yard and they too noticed it's effect. In the four years I lived there after that the fleas never returned.

Also, smokers tend to cough more regularly than non-smokers. Could be that they expel CoVid out of their lungs regularly enough that it never has time to settle and work it's way into lung receptors when they are exposed.

The results of this trial should shed more light:
clinicaltrials.gov...

edit on 22-4-2021 by GenerationGap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Maybe little off topic but..did you know that the first filters in cigarettes were made of asbestos..? Can you believe it.. at the time they didnt know how harmful asbestos is. Anyways, I am from the netherlands and it is very common that people roll their own cigarrettes without any filter. It would be an interesting study to see what the effect of smoking cigarettes will have on this covid virus...and what substance is responsible for not getting infected.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join