It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ssshhhh.....don't tell anyone the real numbers.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: putnam6

The circumstances were very weird but the cops did screw up.

Yes and not to downplay it all, because it certainly is an issue. The number of times they screw up is pretty small considering the number of times they have to draw their guns. Never the less how cops approach persons and apprehend them is going to have to change. The problem is nothing totally addresses how many different situations that are out in the real world where LEO have to make lightning-quick decisions or they or innocent people may be dead. Nobody protests or riots for those deaths.

The point I gathered from the website is those numbers are a lot smaller than the media, public, or politicians act like.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 01:21 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I think it goes beyond the killings. I think those are the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Seems like a lot of excuses and pandering to me.

Oh, and SLC has some very nasty neighborhoods. It is a typical major American city, in other words, a #hole.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Just posing questions for consideration.

I don't know the answers but apparently you do. So never mind. Maybe they are just inherently bad people.

edit on 4/20/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 01:47 AM
link   
It’s all a circular argument.

Let’s just say:

Ethnic groups are kept at the low end of wage earners due to the white patriarchy therefore Ethnic groups commit more crime to get what they want in life, due to higher crime police patrol ethnic neighborhoods more, therefore the risk of getting approached by police is higher therefore the risk of a fatality is higher.

All white peoples fault. According to the popular narrative.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Sort of is.
And the cycle sucks.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 02:29 AM
link   
You could probably safely substitute likely to resist arrest by assaulting an officer with "likely to be killed by police'. The 2 are directly proportional I would bet.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 03:06 AM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

You are 33.9 times more likely to get killed by a police officer if you are black in the state of Utah.

Seems odd. Are there a large number of African Americans in Utah?

You are 15.16 times more likely to get killed by a police officer if you are black in the state of Colorado.

You are 17.29 times more likely to get killed by a police officer if you are black in the state of Oregon.

Surely there is something fishy about your source.

Per police interaction blacks are less likely to be killed than whites.

You can blame that on policing bias, but I don't think upwardly mobile blacks move to white communities to escape police bias. They must be worried about something else.

I wonder what it could be?

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 03:08 AM
link   

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics,” - Benjamin Disraeli

Calling BS on the source. Check the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting index. This has its own categories and is skewed to fit a narrative.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Here's food for thought... its acceptable to present stats that indicate "a disproportionate number of minority XYZ is being shot by police" while it is considered abhorently racist to present stats that indicate "a disproportionate number of violent crimes are perpetrated by minority XYZ." Why this disconnect?

Black people commit 84% of the violent crimes in Chicago.

Black people are 32% of Chicago's population.

Yet Black people get mad because more of them are pulled over than Hispanics or Whites.

Police know where the best fishing grounds are, in order to earn promotions, receive awards, win the pools, etc..

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Probably because most of the people perpetuating this rhetoric feel that they are not in the wrong for committing such crimes..

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Yet Black people get mad because more of them are pulled over than Hispanics or Whites.

Give me a sec, but I read that Hispanics actually are the most likely to get pulled over. Regardless, Chris Rock solved this issue 14 years ago with this PSA:

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Supposedly all the large corporations comply with equal opportunity hiring opportunities, and support Black Lives Matter? So when do things change?

I would state many states have more poor white people than poor black people. Can you state statistics that prove otherwise?
edit on 20-4-2021 by neutronflux because: Fixed

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Numbers can be so misleading without context.
How many of these deaths happened while a felony is being committed?
How many had weapons when they were killed?

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Trust the science, Phage.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Sort of is.
And the cycle sucks.

No, because there are plenty of poor minorities that don't get caught in the cycle... the issue is cultural. Some communities have a culture of failure. The road to success in the US is pretty well worn if you follow it regardless of where you start out in life. The things that hold people back are often self-imposed.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I've always felt the same way.
If poverty was the cause then every trailer park in the country would be a battle zone.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The road to success in the US is pretty well worn if you follow it regardless of where you start out in life. The things that hold people back are often self-imposed.

this is totally true. There are too many examples to point at to dismiss this.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Just posing questions for consideration.

I don't know the answers but apparently you do. So never mind. Maybe they are just inherently bad people.

The questions you posed were non sequiter, though. How many violent criminals are discovered via random traffic stops? I get it, there's the problematic minority piss and moan of "but, but, but we get pulled over just for being a minority" no, no you don't. You get pulled over more often because, statistically speaking, there's a higher chance that any randomly selected minority has committed a crime, possesses illicit narcotics, or have a warrant than there is for a randomly selected caucasian. That's statistically a fact.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join