It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College/university questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hey yall, I've got some questions pertaining college/university.

I've never went and I feel like all the information I'm looking for just brings more questions than answers.

If you went to school in Tennessee and used the Tennessee Reconnect and GI Bill and could provide me with some insight on that it would be appreciated as well.

I'd like to go to Vanderbilt, but if that doesn't happen I'd go to MTSU.

I still can't make up my mind between going for a BS in electromechanical engineering or mechatronic engineering. I've got a lot of work experience in both already. The issue is that I like how mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field, but most employers I've come across view mechatronic/automation technicians as glorified electricians. Working in the field I've been able to gain experience in a myriad of things, but I want to get away from working on boring stuff that's found in food processing facilities and automotive manufacturing plants. I'm tired of working on conveyor belts, label machines, and scanners, and having to pick up slack from lazy electricians/mechanics.

I'd like to get back into the design and implementation aspect and away from the maintenance side of things, but I've run into a wall where employers say I have plenty of work experience, but they want people with college degrees.

So, I started looking at schools and it seems most of them have their mechatronic programs geared towards giving people just enough knowledge to give them a foot in the door right back onto the manufacturing floor as maintenance personnel. If I wanted to do that I would just go back through another vocational school.

(Speaking of which, in my experience sucks. The last one I went through was Rockwell/Allen Bradley and the certificate I got was useless.)

All this being said I would enjoy the in depth education provided by enrolling in an electromechanical engineering program. I feel like I would learn more from that, but I feel like I may end up feeling like I missing out on computer science and controls engineering.

Furthermore I was wondering if it would be feasible to pursue a electromechanical/mechatronics BS and then go on to pursue a master's degree in biomechatronics. I've always been fascinated by prosthetics and human factors and I would enjoy being able to have the opportunity to work in that field.

So, as far as the financial aspects. I have the opportunity to use the Tennessee reconnect, and I also have a GI Bill at my disposal. So, I can get about two years worth of schooling paid by the state of Tennessee, and then I can use the GI bill anywhere in the world depending on admissions and such.

I'm thirty years old so from what I've read I don't necessarily have to worry about ACT/SAT scores, and as far as extracurricular activities go I could always build a portfolio of things I've designed, programmed, and built. I used to volunteer quite a bit, and I do enjoy it. So, I would appreciate any input on volunteering ideas that would help bolster my portfolio. I could perhaps find an after school program and take up teaching kids how to program or something. I guess that's still dependent on Covid BS, but Tennessee has pretty much loosened restrictions for the most part.

I will admit that I have become kind of rusty on some things as I haven't worked in a related field for about two years since going into security and all of the events of last year didn't really help as I was unable to do much, but I'm quick to pick up on things. So, I really just need to knock the rust off.

I appreciate any conducive input.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
learn SCADA programing coupled with PLC programing. Once you have enough experience and knowledge, you can start your own business and do things to make good money. Plus it's fun as hell making all that stuff work. If you have instrumentation, electronics, industrial maintenance, and a good work ethic, you can write your own ticket. You have to work, but if you enjoy it, that won't matter.

I'd rather work my ass off doing what I love for a little, than doing something I hate for a lot.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Thanks for the input, but I am already quite familiar with SCADA and PLCs. That wasn't what I was inquiring about in the OP.
edit on 1942021 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 08:30 PM
link   
*I'm 31. Thanks for the reminder Geez

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think you’ve answered your own question. Go for the electromechanical engineering degree if you think you can cut it. It’s the only one that will get you into the design and implementation lane.
a reply to: AutomateThis1

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Yeah, that's the way I was leaning. I've read some accounts on Reddit and such where mechatronic engineers were able to fill positions for designing equipment and such, but it seemed like more of an exception than anything.

I was "designing" PanelView interfaces and I guess one could consider programming ladder logic as a form of design and such, but it was always more in line with just fixing crap coding than anything. Especially when the electricians thought they could just replace a PLC or drive with one out of "spare parts" and think it was just plug and play.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 11:22 PM
link   

volunteering ideas

I could perhaps find an after school program and take up teaching kids how to program or something. I guess that's still dependent on Covid BS, but Tennessee has pretty much loosened restrictions for the most part.

Think bigger & different...

Make a youtube channel, or do tic toks, or FB videos teaching kids and adults.
Maybe something that isn't well known in programming. Write an e-book.

Or go way way different and teach OLDER people how to program!
Now that would stand out.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I still can't make up my mind between going for a BS in electromechanical engineering or mechatronic engineering.

Keeping my ear to the rail, I hear there's going to be an abundance of openings in the growing field of Underwater Basketweaving, or UWBW. All this mechanical engineering stuff needs support and UWBW is the key to supply lines underwater.

I mean, everyone knows this as it's plain as day. Just remember, I said it first.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Thanks, but I'm looking for responses that are actually helpful.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Qa reply to: AutomateThis1

And you gave yourself away by posting this on a conspiracy forum.

This was your choice?

And Vanderbilt? You don't seem to grasp reality.

And you'd surely need to pass an entrance exam at your age (I did 35 yrs ago).

All you are here....intelligent as you may be...is one who doesn't grasp the concept..

Midlife crisis. 31. "I'm just gonna go to Harvard, Vanderbilt...whatever."

Just like that, huh?

Officer, whatever your "20" is? Stay there.

Form Sec. Supervisor
Ford Motor Comp.
Dearborn

*PS I got out....

edit on 20-4-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Oh, a security supervisor? You must be one of those guys who let the title go to their head.

Anyone have anything worthwhile to add? I figured there are some intelligent people here who might have some insight in the process, but if all I'm going to get is BS and salty old people the mods may as well can this thread.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 03:11 PM
link   

....Before my 35 yrs EMT/Life Support. You know why you're there now, but haven't figured out....how to get out...and at ATS yet?

Answers are in you...not a website. Especially a conspiracy one.

Good luck to you in reaching your goals. Don't stop.
See that 18 yr old just graduating? Well...you're 31. Get moving. Don't stop. God bless.😎✌️

You can do it.

edit on 20-4-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2021 @ 03:46 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 02:18 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 12:47 PM
link