It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin D and Covid: Where the Evidence Stands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a little review from NPR on what studies have shown about vitamin D and its protective effects vs. covid. spoiler, results are not quite conclusive... but i've been taking 4000 IU a day since this all started. i was already taking 2000 IU due to a previous deficiency, but the more i read about its protective effects against respiratory disease and that some studies were showing correlation with vitamin D deficiency and severe covid... seemed like it couldn't hurt and might very well help.

When the pandemic hit, many Americans turned to vitamins and supplements in hopes of boosting their immune systems. Scientists also raced to study them. Vitamin D, perhaps more than any other, captured the attention of researchers. Even the nation's top infectious disease doctor, Anthony Fauci, embraced the idea of using the vitamin to help keep COVID-19 at bay, saying in September that he takes a supplement to avoid being deficient and "would not mind recommending" it to others. So should you take vitamin D to prevent or even treat COVID-19?

In recent years, researchers have increasingly studied the effect of vitamin D supplementation on respiratory infections, with some clinical trials finding no meaningful effect and others suggesting it can be protective.

Early in the pandemic, researchers noticed the overlap between populations that were at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and those likely to have vitamin D deficiency, in particular people who are overweight, elderly and those with darker skin.

Low levels of vitamin D are associated with an increase in cytokines — "cell to cell chemical messengers that are responsible for inflammation" — and lower levels of protective immune cells, Marvasti said

what do you think, ATS? are you getting enough of the D?

A Year In, Here's What We Know About Vitamin D For Preventing COVID

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Most studies use 10,000 IU . there is one that used 61,000 IU. I take 5000 IU a day and still got covid in January.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 00018GE
Most studies use 10,000 IU . there is one that used 61,000 IU. I take 5000 IU a day and still got covid in January.

were you very ill? i caught it when i was taking 2000 IU a day but i didn't get very very sick, even if the aftereffects were a pain.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   
A fantastic immune system booster is Vitamin D, quercitin, and zinc.
Throw in two 500 mg time-release vitamin C caps. ( 1 in the A.M., 1 in the P.M)
Make sure you also take some vitamin K. It's necessary to augment the vitamin D.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 00018GE

Were you tested for covid 19, if not how do you know you had it?

I hear people all the time say they already had it, all I can say is I may have had it. With no way of actually definitively proving one way or the other if I did or not is just speculation at best.

edit on 17-4-2021 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Rather than any specific dose, we want to look at actual levels in the individual and aim for 45-60ng/ml (basically on the high side of normal levels as a target). Individualized patient plans in this regard should be easy with modern tech.

Of course, Vit D alone is unlikely to be a cure in and of itself. But aiming for 45-60ng/ml would likely mitigate respiratory viruses quite a bit more effectively than many things..

Also, its best to get this through sunlight rather than supplements. Not always possible, of course, but it has benefits beyond just Vit D too.

So, instead of any discussions about IU, its probably more helpful to cater dosages to individual patients. Given that Vit D deficiency is rather common though, it can be expected in many people.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Hmmm

A few things conflict with your opening statements and comments Hmmm not surprising 😃

Hmmm

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Early on March/April 2020, there was a lot of buzz about vitamin D, Vitamin C, and zinc, I started taking vitamin D and C zinc and elderberry in a higher dose and more consistently than I have ever taken anything in 56 years of life.

Did it work? who knows but at least it felt like you were trying something and it bound to be some benefit somewhere.

While I have been a little laxer since I still take it every few days.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

were you very ill? i caught it when i was taking 2000 IU a day but i didn't get very very sick, even if the aftereffects were a pain.

Pretty much like a vaccine? without the potential side effects, or the trips to the doctor every 6 months for a booster

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Everyone I know that takes D3 almost never get sick. One of the things I told anyone that would listen at the beginning of the plandemic.
If you tested positive for Covid-19 you probably had influenza a or b.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Good tip. Remember to get plenty of sunlight peeps.
Or, you could just get the shots....lol...nope
Do you want fries with your drive through seizures?

link

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Especially after watching Dr. Ryan Cole, I take D3 supplements!

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   

After 2 nd Pfizer vac Feb 7th....added D and B complex w C. I feel pretty good. D helps a lot after being inside....

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Have you seen this study in Eire?
video is brief overview

eport-on-addressing-vitamin-d-deficiency-as-a-public-health-measure-in-ireland_en.pdf

February 2021.
The Joint Committee on Health

The Committee heard evidence that Vitamin D deficiency is prevalent across the population and the report recommends that public health measures are established to address that deficiency. These public health measures are preventative in nature and are recommended to reduce the risk of respiratory and other illnesses such as osteoporosis.

1 That daily Vitamin D supplementation of 20-25µg/day should be recommended to the entire adult population as a public health measure,

higher doses recommended for vulnerable groups under medical supervision.

2 That a public health policy, which promotes better knowledge of the benefits of Vitamin D, and which encourages Vitamin D supplementation, should be developed in time for consideration in Budget 2022.

3 That reducing the cost of Vitamin D supplementation, in order to promote its uptake, should be considered.

4 That specific measures need to be put in place for vulnerable groups, and for frontline and healthcare workers,

so that Vitamin D supplementation is administered on an opt-out basis,

and for the duration of this pandemic, people should be offered Vitamin D supplements when presenting at Covid-19 test centres.

Think they sum it up well now will watch for the deafening silence from the MSM

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: puzzled2

That is a really good study. I know so from experience, but also because when I tried to share a link to that study on Silverdoctors.com and some other places, I was censored (comments removed!).

Censorship shows you are on the right track these days, unfortunately. We are living in clown world, with clown healthcare too!

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Yes, 5,000iu/day is like a starting point.

When you get sick, you should take much larger amounts at first, then taper. I'll take 20,000 to 50,000 iu at the first sign of something, then take the same amount again a couple of hours later, then slowly taper off, unless the symptoms get worse.'

All of the studies showing toxicity for D at high levels used synthetic D2, not natural D3, and there is one instance of extraordinarily high daily doses for a few weeks to a month that did results in pretty severe negative symptoms, but those symptoms quickly subsided when the accidental high dosage was stopped. This was when Dr. Gary Null was taking one of his own products that had D3 added, but a miscalculation at the factory on one production run caused that batch caused the wrong amount of D3 to be added. Instead of 2,000iu per serving, it had a whopping 2,000,000 (yes, two million).

So, don't worry about taking too much natural D3, but be aware of the potential symptoms if you are taking higher amounts... just in case something similar were to ever happen to you.

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

There’s no way to know if it helped or not but it won’t hurt you. Your body makes 20,000 IUs of D for every 20 minutes you spend in the sun.

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 07:27 PM
link   
i've been saying this since the pandemic started. except the mainstream doctors tell you a very small amount is ok. I take 10,000 iu vitamin d a day.
add 22 mg per lb of body weight vitamin c
and chaga mushrooms.

i watched everyone around me get covid. Hooked up with a girl who tested positive the next day. I never got it. I got tested three times, never got covid while all my employees and all my friends got sick.

Still no one listens. Whatever.

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

i mean... i've been reading it since the pandemic started. i talked my family and my husband into it.

idk about the chaga mushrooms though, what's the benefit of that?

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Hmmm

A few things conflict with your opening statements and comments Hmmm not surprising 😃

Hmmm

And not surprising you didn't bother to point out what you "think" is conflicting

top topics

join