It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Review of Gun Control in History

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: Deplorable

originally posted by: fiverx313
shouldn't your history also include all the times gun control didn't have any correlation to mass murder?

Why do you call it "Mass Murder"? It was actually people coming into power and eliminating those who had opposing political and social desires.

Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer would have zero remorse, if everyone who owned an evil black gun, was suddenly no longer breathing. Wouldn't miss us at all.

please show some respect for the OP and stop clowning with such a silly assertion.

I second his ‘silly’ assertion.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
a reply to: AnthonyMD

Well people who cant fight back are more easily controlled and killed. From Lenin's Russia to old Communist China to even today in the middle east and the militant rise to power. It has shown, that those with guns, tend to have power over those without.

The bigger the better, which is why a missile trumps a handgun etc etc.

Though I don't know about this gun issue.

I mean if your going for depopulation and killing massive amounts of people. There is more then one way to skin a cat you know.

Though the best way to achieve depopulation and mass die offs? Is probably just to stand back and let people be people. its likely the stupidest will come to power and kill of the rest. Its a numbers game really. There are more stupid people then there are not stupid.

So its only a matter of time before somebody comes with a law or rule that is so stupid it would make perfect sense to all the other stupids, and so everybody has to follow it. And then? After a time? Bam they all follow it to there graves, and problem solved.

Its like nature taking its course.

There’s a vaccine and covid thread somewhere that would truely appreciate this post mate.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

i myself am not for total eradication of gun ownership. but i can't help feel that something needs to be done to restrict these high firepower situations we keep having.

First point:

You may not be for total firearm eradication, but understand that there are many voices who are for total firearm eradication (except for themselves of course). Most gun owners are gun owners because a firearm is a very useful tool in our situations, and those uses do not include the intentional killing of another law-abiding person. As an example, since we are comparing different countries, the vast majority of the US is not in cities. Where I live there is still the distinct possibility of encountering a rabid animal, for example.

Have you ever seen a rabid animal up close? It's not a pretty sight. Rabies takes over the brain before it causes death, turning the animal in question into something akin to a zombie. A rabid rabbit will attack with extreme ferocity, and can pretty much rip a person's arm or leg to shreds with those teeth. A punctured artery is far from unexpected in such an encounter and such can and often will lead to death from simply bleeding out.

That's a rabbit. Now consider a possum... teeth several inches long and a hide stronger than a black bear. Or a bobcat... extremely dangerous but usually more afraid of people than people are of it. But when rabid, an animal knows no fear, only the desire to attack at all costs. There is no running them off or wounding them so they retreat. It just don't happen; there is no higher brain function to consider self-preservation. And in both cases, one bite and you are infected. That's how rabies typically spreads: one rabid animal bites several more before they die and those then go on to bite several more, and so on and so forth.

There is only one safe way to stop a rabid animal from attacking oneself and every other animal around: a firearm. Kill it before it can get close enough to bite you.

And do not even bring up Animal Control. That does not exist here. The closest we have is calling the sheriff's office, whereupon you will be told to shoot the animal. If you don't have a gun you will be told to stay inside. Depending on how busy they are, a deputy might show up in an hour or a day, shoot the animal with a gun and tell you to either arm yourself or move to a town because you are endangering yourself living in the country.

That's one reason; there are many more. We have some animals here that can kill a person without being rabid. If not for the hunters, the local deer population would explode and destroy all agriculture, before destroying themselves through over-population. And of course, there is always the possibility that someone with criminal intent might wander out here from time to time... police response takes at least 15 minutes (which is getting better lately... used to be more like 30 minutes to an hour), during which time one is at the mercy of the criminal who does have a gun because he doesn't follow laws by virtue of the fact he is a criminal.

So any attempt at removing firearms is looked upon out here as both intrusive and ludicrous. That by necessity includes those who are partly in agreement with the people who want us to die from attack or rabies.

Second point:

In my youth, one could walk out to the parking lot at the local high school and see pickup trucks with gun racks in the back window full of loaded firearms. it was common for the cars to have a pistol or revolver under the driver's seat. All were loaded and ready to fire at a moment's notice, yet the concept of a school shooting was unheard of.

Today, anyone even thinking openly about carrying a gun onto school property is likely to be expelled and arrested for felonious intent. Yet school shootings are far too common. That flies in the face of any theory that gun control leads to less gun crime. So what has changed?

Education has changed. Back when guns were common and shootings were not, it was considered a parent's duty to teach their children about the safe and reasonable use of firearms. Today, that is left up to "professionals" and most kids never get that education. The parents are simply so scared of guns that they try to pretend they don't exist and preach about the evils of guns at every opportunity. This only makes a gun a taboo, and therefore attractive, thing to have by the very kids who were intentionally never taught how to use (and when to not use) them.

Third point:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. Shootings typically occur in gun-free zones: schools, the recent Fed-Ex shooting, post offices, government buildings, businesses which forbid firearms, etc. The most common areas suffering from gun violence (and incidentally from violence period) are the same locations which have the strictest gun control laws: Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco. Why?

The answer, to anyone who even bothers to consider human behavior, should be obvious. Violence is perpetuated for one of three reasons: defense, passion, and criminal intent. Defense is desirable if the intent is to minimize deaths. Passion is unavoidable; it simply is a fact of life that people are sometimes passionate. Criminal intent is the issue, and criminals, by virtue of being criminals, do not obey laws. That's what makes them a criminal. Criminals also do not wish to die, and despite anything anyone may tell you to the contrary, they typically understand that they might die if they get shot. So it becomes obvious that a criminal who wishes to commit violence with a gun will do so in a location where they are the only ones who have a gun.

And of course, even to those who are acting out of passion, not dying has some bearing on their actions. Otherwise, we can just forget making laws altogether, since that is the exact reasoning behind making an action illegal: make people want to do it less because of the consequences.

We should just replace those "gun-free zone" signs at schools with "target acquisition site" signs instead. They would be more accurate.

And a final point on the tanks: it is actually legal to own a tank. One can actually buy tanks from military auctions and surplus. What is illegal are the machine guns (full auto, actual machine guns) mounted on them and that great big gun sticking out of the turret. Privately purchased tanks have that big turret barrel filled with concrete and the firing pin removed, and of course the machine guns are removed as well (unless one has a FFL at time of purchase, of course).

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

I think we should let people finally be able to run around with scissors, especially in halls, and especially in crowded halls, and most especially in high school.

I figure the death by scissors rate will rise dramatically. But? Sometimes! You just got to let nature take its course.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It’s not illegal to run with scissors.

Children don’t because they are told not to.

Adults don’t, generally, because children enjoy being included by being asked to fetch things.

a reply to: galadofwarthethird

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thanks again for another top-quality contribution to the boards.

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Today, anyone even thinking openly about carrying a gun onto school property is likely to be expelled and arrested for felonious intent. Yet school shootings are far too common. That flies in the face of any theory that gun control leads to less gun crime. So what has changed?

Education has changed.

Everyone can't be a winner either. Kids are being taught that they're just as good as their betters. Everyone knows this isn't true, but they pretend that it's a perfect world and tell little Adam Lanza he's just as equal as little Johnny Smith. When it finally 'begins' to dawn on little Adam that he's never gonna measure up to little Johnny in real life ... little Adam has a solution to prove he's better than they are ... better than anyone in fact. Same reason Cain rose up and slew Able.

posted on Apr, 22 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

Exactly right. Kids used to learn early in life to handle disappointments, a good thing because it actually prepared them for real life (using education to prepare for real life? What kind of voodoo is this?). Today kids are coddled so badly it is becoming embarrassing to see them try and make the transition.

I was speaking to a friend who is manager at a grocery store the other day. I mentioned a conversation I had with my daughter (management) about kids who would literally demand the rest of the day off because "they felt stressed"! He told me that had happened to him as well, on many more than just one occasion.

Well, guess what? I have never held a job that I didn't "feel stressed" at! Normal people just deal with it. Push it back until you're on your own time; that time belongs to your employer. They bought and paid for it.

Everyone is going to face disappointments and hardships at some time in their life. The lucky ones will face it maybe a few dozen times. Everyone else, hundreds of times, too many to count. Hell, I am retired on disability with a paid for home and low-mileage car... I still get stressed out even though I don't have a job, or bills for that matter! And in a way, I'm glad of that fact... if everything went all hunky-dory all the time, I wouldn't be able to handle it when something went wrong.

I personally blame the parents more than I do the kids. The kids are just living in the kind of world their parents have made them believe they live in. The parents are the ones lying to their kids.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join