It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready for higher grocery bills for the rest of the year

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
(post by surfer_soul removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

That is very weird indeed!
Thanks for explaining.

You're welcome. I still don't have to words to express what I feel about them not having any shortening. That was why Aldis was created - to offer the basics at a cheaper price. They seem to be branching out to items available for only a limited time, toys, clothes, etc. And of course this takes up their limited shelf space. So, if those things are in, some things have to go out and I don't want my basic staples to not be available when I need them. I'm suprised more people aren't either noticing this or complaining about it. Have people become so sheep-like as to take everything thrown at them and say or do nothing?

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: AaarghZombies

People voted for endless lockdowns and masking to stay safe, and that contributes to this.

If you vote for higher energy prices in any form, you voted for this.

If you vote for higher taxes in any form, you voted for this.

Hold on the lockdowns and mask wearing began and continued last year under Trump, are you having a go at Trump voters? They also happened around the world, do you think people across the world voted for them?

Your argument here is literally retarded and to think you got a whole bunch of stars for it. This site has gone downhill.

Can you please grow up and not call people names? Didn't your mama ever teach you not to do that? Oh, and you're saying that President Trump forced all those Democratic governors to do those mean things? Please seek counseling for your condition.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Folks voted for the politicians who killed their own local economies, too. In fact, those local and state level leaders almost certainly did actually receive the majority of votes and won their positions from a popular vote rather than through voter fraud and ballot counting manipulation, so this collapse definitely does seem to be what people voted for.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I don't shop there enough to notice, but I have noticed what seems to be to large a % of shelf space devoted to non-essentials.
Seasonal crap, candy.

You would not think they would need that to draw customers.

I am happy to say our store recently expanded. It is now the size of a medium size grocery common in the US in the 1960s.

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I don't shop there enough to notice, but I have noticed what seems to be to large a % of shelf space devoted to non-essentials.
Seasonal crap, candy.

The one I shop at used to have a small section for those kinds of things, too, now it's practically a whole aisle with that junk. I guess that's why non-essentials like shortening got kicked out. More people are buying 6-foot blow-up baby pools than food. The whole dynamics of what used to be normal in the world are getting turned on end. It's going to bring about calamity, sooner or later.

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

Seasonal crap, candy.

The one I shop at used to have a small section for those kinds of things, too, now it's practically a whole aisle with that junk. I guess that's why non-essentials like shortening got kicked out. More people are buying 6-foot blow-up baby pools than food. The whole dynamics of what used to be normal in the world are getting turned on end. It's going to bring about calamity, sooner or later.

I don't buy or use shortening, but if you could get it at Aldi before, surely there must be an alternative within a stone's throw. ANY Hispanic/Latino/Southern section in a store will have it -- always check the Hispanic/Latino stuff first, they used the HELL out of it in cooking.

As for the Stuff Isle, as we call it, it's always been an isle long. At least here in MI since day one of us walking in the door, and that was 6 years ago, lol. It literally has not changed it's amount of non-essentials offered in that long, so far. I can tell ya I've come across some damn nice Aldi yarns now and then, wish they sold those more consistently, grrr.

Anyway, maybe some locations or local markets are just ahead of others in product display/organizational resets and offerings for some reason?
edit on 4/18/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The major oil ports in southern Texas, also called the "Golden Triangle" and their disruptions to infrastructure due to the severe weather experienced this year have had absolutely NOTHING to do with decreased volume on supplies which have led prices to rise. Yep....it's all Joe and anyone and their family that voted for him

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Seasonal crap, candy.

I don't buy or use shortening, but if you could get it at Aldi before, surely there must be an alternative within a stone's throw. ANY Hispanic/Latino/Southern section in a store will have it.

You are missing the point. While every "Hispanic/Latino/Southern section in a store will have it," EVERY store USED to have it ALL the time. Don't you remember this? The fact that a store, any store, doesn't have it now is what I'm pointing out. It never was that way before. To me, it's like paraphrasing what a certain man said in Germany during World War II:
First they took shortening out of the store, but I didn't buy it, so it didn't matter.
Then they took out flour and sugar, but I didn't use it, so it didn't matter.
Then they took out yarns permanently and there was no products left to buy at all. I should have spoken up sooner.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about you, just pointing out that everything bad always starts small, so we need to recognize the little things like this and try to do something about it before it's too late.

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 05:57 PM
link   
That is what I have seen, and it started around HAlloween.

And, really....for anyone who bakes from scratch, Shortening could be an essential.
So, something is wrong.
What's next.....canned tomatoes????

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

the reason there is no or little shorting on the shelfs is more than likely due to soybean shortage and hoard for animal feed caused by covid 19.

CHICAGO, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Soaring global demand for soybeans forced U.S. animal feed makers to hoard supplies this fall due to the fierce competition for their main ingredient, with some even turning to floating storage on river barges to thwart sales to exporters.

The renewed demand pushed soybean prices to a four-year high, a marked change for farmers who are looking at their best season in years as they also received record subsidies from the U.S. government and China resumed buying large volumes of crops after a bitter trade dispute.

But this year, a worsening COVID-19 pandemic has encouraged soy buyers worldwide to build stocks of food due to concerns additional lockdown measures could result in shortages. That left U.S. buyers scrambling for places to put their soybeans that they had to purchase on the cash market or watch them be gobbled up by competitors.

Meanwhile, prospects for soy supply shortages globally are increasing due to concerns about a diminished harvest in top exporter Brazil, where parched soils in key growing areas delayed soy planting.

U.S.feedmarkers hoard Soybeans

March is the fourth month in a row USDA released a soybean carryover number well-below pipeline supplies in the Supply and Demand report. “It’s only about half of the typical pipeline supply,” said Tim Marsh, analyst, Summit Commodities. “This is USDA’s way of saying we’re going to be short on soybeans this summer. They first put a number out like that in November. When you’re faced with a potential shortage of soybeans, human nature is human nature. The buyers of U.S. soybeans likely stocked up on soybeans, meaning sales going forward may drop off severely and countries could cancel purchases.” Going forward, there’s not as much fresh news for the grain trade. The USDA’s Prospective Plantings report will be released March 31 and Marsh says traders will also monitor the South American crop.

USDA Reafirms Soybean Shortage
ETA:

already seen that last year, it was about 6 months before there were any left on the shelf here in thwe panhandle of Florida.

edit on 18-4-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Seasonal crap, candy.

I don't buy or use shortening, but if you could get it at Aldi before, surely there must be an alternative within a stone's throw. ANY Hispanic/Latino/Southern section in a store will have it.

You are missing the point. While every "Hispanic/Latino/Southern section in a store will have it," EVERY store USED to have it ALL the time. Don't you remember this? The fact that a store, any store, doesn't have it now is what I'm pointing out. It never was that way before. To me, it's like paraphrasing what a certain man said in Germany during World War II:
First they took shortening out of the store, but I didn't buy it, so it didn't matter.
Then they took out yarns permanently and there was no products left to buy at all. I should have spoken up sooner.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about you, just pointing out that everything bad always starts small, so we need to recognize the little things like this and try to do something about it before it's too late.

Dude. You missed MY point.

Let's try again.

IF all else fails, it's in every Hispanic isle/Intl section in regular stores.

Simmer the hell down, I didn't say it wasn't in the General Baking isle. It's in stock at nearby Family Fares, AND Meijers baking sections for online ordering. They're there & available. Just because ALDI didn't have it, doesn't mean the world's torn asunder. It just means you need to learn to go to more than one place (no offense, but really here)

Get me yet? Geez, read Howlie above me, it's not a conspiracy, it's evidently a legitimate shortage because stupid Americans cowered for a year instead of harvesting.

And so you know I'm NOT full of crap, here's Meijer:

www.meijer.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

the reason there is no or little shorting on the shelfs is more than likely due to soybean shortage and hoard for animal feed caused by covid 19.

CHICAGO, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Soaring global demand for soybeans forced U.S. animal feed makers to hoard supplies this fall due to the fierce competition for their main ingredient, with some even turning to floating storage on river barges to thwart sales to exporters.

The renewed demand pushed soybean prices to a four-year high, a marked change for farmers who are looking at their best season in years as they also received record subsidies from the U.S. government and China resumed buying large volumes of crops after a bitter trade dispute.

But this year, a worsening COVID-19 pandemic has encouraged soy buyers worldwide to build stocks of food due to concerns additional lockdown measures could result in shortages. That left U.S. buyers scrambling for places to put their soybeans that they had to purchase on the cash market or watch them be gobbled up by competitors.

Meanwhile, prospects for soy supply shortages globally are increasing due to concerns about a diminished harvest in top exporter Brazil, where parched soils in key growing areas delayed soy planting.

U.S.feedmarkers hoard Soybeans

March is the fourth month in a row USDA released a soybean carryover number well-below pipeline supplies in the Supply and Demand report. “It’s only about half of the typical pipeline supply,” said Tim Marsh, analyst, Summit Commodities. “This is USDA’s way of saying we’re going to be short on soybeans this summer. They first put a number out like that in November. When you’re faced with a potential shortage of soybeans, human nature is human nature. The buyers of U.S. soybeans likely stocked up on soybeans, meaning sales going forward may drop off severely and countries could cancel purchases.” Going forward, there’s not as much fresh news for the grain trade. The USDA’s Prospective Plantings report will be released March 31 and Marsh says traders will also monitor the South American crop.

USDA Reafirms Soybean Shortage
ETA:

already seen that last year, it was about 6 months before there were any left on the shelf here in thwe panhandle of Florida.

That's a nice long response. But it is incorrect in this case. The manager himself told me that shortening was now a "seasonal" item and wouldn't be due back on the shelf until the Christmas holidays. He also said, in an angry tone, that I should have stocked up on it so I wouldn't run out of it. What does he think, I'm psychic or something and could have predicted something like this was going to happen when it never had happened before? No, I do not think that shortages are the reason products are becoming "seasonal." I already went through this before with that very same store about 4 years ago. There were no interruptions that year. I was trying to buy a canned ham for a recipe and was told they were seasonal. My memory may not be a hundred percent correct on this, but wasn't canning meat invented so that people could have meat at all the times in the year other than just at butchering season?
edit on 19-4-2021 by TrulyColorBlind because: Clarification of the date.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Seasonal crap, candy.

Dude. You missed MY point.

Let's try again.

IF all else fails, it's in every Hispanic isle/Intl section in regular stores.

Simmer the hell down, I didn't say it wasn't in the General Baking isle. It's in stock at nearby Family Fares, AND Meijers baking sections for online ordering. They're there & available. Just because ALDI didn't have it, doesn't mean the world's torn asunder. It just means you need to learn to go to more than one place (no offense, but really here)

Get me yet? Geez, read Howlie above me, it's not a conspiracy, it's evidently a legitimate shortage because stupid Americans cowered for a year instead of harvesting.

www.meijer.com...

Dudette! Your point was totally not necessary and was not relevent to the thread. Do you really think I'm that stupid to not know that if one store doesn't have what I'm looking for, to try another one? And to add to my point, has anybody noticed that shortening has went up about $2 per can? It has around here. It's outrageous how much everything is going up.
edit on 19-4-2021 by TrulyColorBlind because: Fixed error.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Seasonal crap, candy.

it's not a conspiracy, it's evidently a legitimate shortage because stupid Americans cowered for a year instead of harvesting.

www.meijer.com...

Do you have a link to back up your claims that it's not a conspiracy? And there are no Meijers or Family Fares near here. So, don't get your panties in a wad. If it was "seasonal," how come, during the same exact season I shopped there at Aldis, right across the street Kroger's had shortening? Are you telling me that Kroger's was in a different time zone or something and therefore it was a different season just across the street? We've all seen how things start. One place at a time and then it spreads. That is reality. Are you in touch with it? No, shortening is not "seasonal." Just like Don't Tread On Me said above, shortening is essential for some people, not "seasonal."

I mean, wake up, people!

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   

maybe you might want to find another grocery store,

here i looked at 2 big ones in my area. Wally World and Publics. looks like both say they have them in stock for right now, although one doesn't have it in the 16 oz cans. maybe the USDA lied. just know what info was posted and what we've seen in the past year and a half.

Wally World
Crisco in stock
Crisco

Canned Ham only one brand of canned ham listed in stock.

Bristol Canned Ham

Publics

Crisco,

Crisco

Canned Ham, Public's only lists a small 5 oz can of ground ham, Hormel Smoked Ham.

Hormel Ham Smoked

we only have two other chain grocery stores in our area both want you to join their rewards clubs before you can shop online.

use to have several small local owned ones, but the box stores have drove them out of business, one of the two is a better one it is run by people that use to run the pic and save, or so i'm told. but like i said you have to join their site or face book.

and the piggly wiggly is kinda high and they stock what they like and what they can pay less for and charge more than any where else. not very big either, maybe the size of two 7 11's

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Seasonal crap, candy.

it's not a conspiracy, it's evidently a legitimate shortage because stupid Americans cowered for a year instead of harvesting.

www.meijer.com...

Do you have a link to back up your claims that it's not a conspiracy? And there are no Meijers or Family Fares near here. So, don't get your panties in a wad. If it was "seasonal," how come, during the same exact season I shopped there at Aldis, right across the street Kroger's had shortening? Are you telling me that Kroger's was in a different time zone or something and therefore it was a different season just across the street? We've all seen how things start. One place at a time and then it spreads. That is reality. Are you in touch with it? No, shortening is not "seasonal." Just like Don't Tread On Me said above, shortening is essential for some people, not "seasonal."

I mean, wake up, people!

I think you can read Howlie's links just fine, they're kosher.

If this is what you fly off the handle about, suit yourself. Even you admit it's across the street at a Kroger, yet you have to stones to fly off the handle at the mere suggestion that...GASP!...you literally go across the street to that store. You;'re not gaslighting your way out of this one, you did not explicitly state ANYTHING restricting the comments following your claim to adhere only to seasonal claims.

I don't give a crud what your fixation with Aldi is or why, but your behavior handling a backburner idea suggestion is unbecoming as hell.
edit on 4/19/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
About a century and a half ago in much of the world profiteering off of a crisis was enough to get you hanged.

For the last fifty years or so, profiteering is built into the economies of the developed world.

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

amid-insane-food-prices

actiworld.com...

plus South America

etc. etc. etc.

posted on Apr, 20 2021 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

maybe you might want to find another grocery store,

here i looked at 2 big ones in my area. Wally World and Publics. looks like both say they have them in stock for right now, although one doesn't have it in the 16 oz cans. maybe the USDA lied. just know what info was posted and what we've seen in the past year and a half.

Wally World
Crisco in stock
Crisco

Canned Ham only one brand of canned ham listed in stock.

Bristol Canned Ham

Publics

Crisco,

Crisco

Canned Ham, Public's only lists a small 5 oz can of ground ham, Hormel Smoked Ham.

Hormel Ham Smoked

we only have two other chain grocery stores in our area both want you to join their rewards clubs before you can shop online.

use to have several small local owned ones, but the box stores have drove them out of business, one of the two is a better one it is run by people that use to run the pic and save, or so i'm told. but like i said you have to join their site or face book.

and the piggly wiggly is kinda high and they stock what they like and what they can pay less for and charge more than any where else. not very big either, maybe the size of two 7 11's

And literally every other store in my area has these things as well. What does that prove? It proves just what I said, that Aldis doesn't carry it right now because they said it was seasonal, when clearly every other store doesn't think it's seasonal. That is exactly what I said. Why are you people not understanding what I said? You can clearly see that these things are not seasonal, right? So, stop telling me to just go to a different store. That's not the issue. The issue isn't that I can't find ANY shortening, but that a store near me has suddenly said, for the first time ever, that shortening was seasonal all of a sudden. Shortening has never been "seasonal" in any store. Ever. Do you not see the difference in these two things? If not, please, please, please stop wasting my time with the unneeded "solutions."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join