It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Early Embryos That Are Part Human, Part Monkey

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Not sure exactly how I feel about this on one side I know this is how important discoveries are made on the other hand it just seems bizarre and the research and monies would likely be better spent in other areas. Not to mention the alleged Russian man-ape story from the 30"s

www.npr.org...

For the first time, scientists have created embryos that are a mix of human and monkey cells.

The embryos, described Thursday in the journal Cell, were created in part to try to find new ways to produce organs for people who need transplants, said the international team of scientists who collaborated in the work. But the research raises a variety of concerns.

"My first question is: Why?" said Kirstin Matthews, a fellow for science and technology at Rice University's Baker Institute. "I think the public is going to be concerned, and I am as well, that we're just kind of pushing forward with science without having a proper conversation about what we should or should not do."

"I don't see this type of research being ethically problematic," said Insoo Hyun, a bioethicist at Case Western Reserve University and Harvard University. "It's aimed at lofty humanitarian goals."

"Our goal is not to generate any new organism, any monster," Belmonte said. "And we are not doing anything like that. We are trying to understand how cells from different organisms communicate with one another."

In addition, Belmonte said he hopes this kind of work could lead to new insights into early human development, aging and the underlying causes of cancer and other disease.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I want one, I shall name him 'Caesar'.

This certainly won't ever turn into a problem.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The "Goal" might not be, but some A hole will pay some scientist to use the tech, for not so nice purposes.

Because some humans have more money than god, and no ethics.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I remember reading this pair of fantasy books once. It was set in a world with all these chimaera's and half human-animal hybrids and such, many of them suspiciously resembling greek myths and such.

Well, turns out, it was actually a science fiction series and humans learned to create human animal hybrids they used for entertainment and such...and then civilization ended and in a big mind #...the main characters turned out to be Adam and Eve.

Trippy story...but the takeaway was....

Ancient humans had animal human hybrid clones and they wiped out the earth and consequently are why myths of satyrs exist...yeah...that...

I really wish I could remember the name and author of those books. They're old like from the 70's or something. They were good though. Back when a fantasy series didn't need to be 80 trillion books long with an entire book just for the glossary of characters.
edit on 15/4/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What an absolute joke!

I was declared insane, had my research grant revoked and got hunted by Interpol for trying to do the same thing with alligators.

“Unethical” “deeply disturbing” and “playing God” they said.I should’ve just disguised my reptilian super soldier program under the guise of humanitarianism. Worked for these guys. Lessons for the future i suppose

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Imagine being able to put the strength of a monkey into a man?
Darpa would be all over this if it isn't already.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Now because it isn't fully human they can harvest the organs. In China they kill full humans and take their organs. What could go wrong? Who knows what they have already done?

We can be rest assured they will never use this for nefarious reasons.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Stalin WOULD be proud, God not so much so, in fact God will be VERY Angry indeed.

Whoever these scientists are they do have have any ethic's or humanity at all.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Whoopi...

My family has been doing that for decades.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Like I said I'm on the fence, I mean hell we grow human ears on the backs of mice, use fish skins for burn victims. Pig heart valves for humans

It may be the key to some great discovery.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767
That was my first thought-Stalins super soldier experiments..sheesh creepy stuff.

When I see stuff like this I can't help thinking much,much more crazy stuff is happening as we speak in the deep dark depths of the secret rat warrens of the worlds governments.
I would put money on all the big players having programs which would make even the most far fetched sci fi gene splicing ideas seem tame by comparison.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
It may be the key to some great discovery.

Or it could just lead to monkeys who can make a martini when you yell 'do' until they decide not to anymore and then chase us into the forest where the shoot us with our own guns.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   
WAIT WHAT?
but
IWANT2BEMONKE

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Do you WANT Bigfoot?
...Because THIS is how you get Bigfoot!

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Do you WANT Bigfoot?
...Because THIS is how you get Bigfoot!

I've seen this documentary, both the original and the remake, and it didn't end well either time. Not even Marky Mark could save us.

edit on 15-4-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Sorry about the joke, removed it, I remember though watching an old episode of an Allen Whicker show (he used to be a TV celebrity in the UK and Australia) in which he interviewed some guy that claimed he had snuck into an MOD research laboratory based in an old country estate manner house, it was guarded but this was the 1970's so most of that was soldiers and he slipped past them into the estates grounds and saw with his own eye's what he described as half human half animal like creatures and men in white laboratory coats.
He has sneaked in because people in the area had started to hear inhuman cries coming from the estate.

I can not track anything related down on the net and have done a quick search but my point was this, IF the Chinese are doing it now and the Russians were doing it in the cold war you can bet that that someone in Nato was also doing it.

edit on 15-4-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I do.
I want Bigfoot.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
What an absolute joke!

I was declared insane, had my research grant revoked and got hunted by Interpol for trying to do the same thing with alligators.

“Unethical” “deeply disturbing” and “playing God” they said.I should’ve just disguised my reptilian super soldier program under the guise of humanitarianism. Worked for these guys. Lessons for the future i suppose

You sound like Dr. Curtis O'Conner

But yea you would think if they wanted to potentially grow appendages reptiles would be a better target than monkeys. Even though as the article suggests Rhesus monkeys have cells similar to humans

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   
And this is how you get the zombie apocalypse...

Just wrong on so many levels. It is part human. So they are creating a part human just to be destroyed.

Ugh... I can't even find the words. Sends chills down my spine.

posted on Apr, 15 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   

"Nobody really wants monkeys walking around with human eggs and human sperm inside them. Because if a monkey with human sperm meets a monkey with human eggs, nobody wants a human embryo inside a monkey's uterus."

.......i just.... what a quote

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join