It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan to Dump Contaminated Fukishima Water into the Ocean

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 03:50 AM
link   
OK, its in two years and they are going to filter it, BUT is it safe? Will Godzilla emerge in 2025?

Who knows but the neighbos and the fishing industry aint to happy about it.

www.bloomberg.com...

www.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 03:53 AM
link   
“The radiation will harmlessly disperse into the ocean
like mixing a large drink”

— Mister Science

# 1384

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

Hey! Hey! Look, Look over there! Its the Olympics!

Signed
Yoshi

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Should I be buying a geiger counter for my grocery shopping?

Oddly enough (not really) if I go to ebay they're everywhere for under $100, but if I go anywhere that specializes in selling them they're over $500

Something tells me they're about to go up in price.

edit: whoops
edit on 13-4-2021 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I feel sorry fo the locals.
Sea salt may never taste the same.

The currents start moving now north with the seasonal fish.
l haven't been to a sushi house now for 15 months, but in town business is good.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Nothing to worry about, nuclear energy is "green" energy (glows green anyway). Because it isn't spewing deadly carbon into the air, it's perfectly safe for the environment. Plus, radioactive material is used for medicines, so it's not going to make anyone sick, and will probably cure what ails you.
/sarcasm

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac
A lot of those eBay listings are for an upgrade kit for the old yellow CD Geiger counters or one of those counters. Just a kit to replace the 70 volt battery with something you can find today or a big suspecious yellow box.

The good ones are between $100 and 300. Look for a Soeks. I have had one for years and they run about all day on 2 AAA batteries with a USB power option. The best modern Geiger counters are Russian technology. They are smaller than a pack of cigaretts so they will be less noticeable (upsetting to others) when shopping than a yellow steel box about the size of a 50 caliber ammo can with knobs and dials on it.

Most of the new models have a dosimeter function built in. While not really useful for shopping for food, if there is a nuclear war, It will tell you if going to where help is lacated is worth it or you are already dead and your body has not stopped yet.

edit on 4 13 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheWhiteKnight
“The radiation will harmlessly disperse into the ocean
like mixing a large drink”

— Mister Science

# 1384

No amount of radiation is harmless, we may come out unscathed or it may affect us depending on a game or Russian roulette as to how much damage decay particles may cause.
There is a natural level of background radiation and our planet is surrounded by a huge field of it trapped by the magnetic field of the earth which shields us from it.

But ever since the first atomic bomb was detonated Radiation produced by human means has caused global problems and there is still high atmospheric radioactive fallout from those probably the very first tests in the upper atmosphere which has still not come down, we have to for example to find old steel from sunken ship's made before the first atom bomb tests to find material that is free of certain isotopes to be used in delicate sensing equipment and medical equipment which we simply can not make today due to the isotopes in our atmosphere released by those atom bomb tests.

Dumping irradiated water is fine in moderation and to be fair we in the UK have done pretty much the same thing for decades at our nuclear plants on the coast, we even had our own four mile island but the public were not aware of it.

And then there are all those nuclear powered naval vessels in the world how much do they dump unbeknown to the public and of course entire simply abandoned operational nuclear reactors left to rot by the Russians and other former Soviet block nations.

So your point is correct but I would NOT call it harmless, far from it but the word you are looking for is - relatively - safe.

It will disperse and the sea has already probably far more radioactive waste dumped in it all around the world but that is not to say it will not cause harm as it will simply add to the already slowly increasing level of our oceans radioactivity level's albeit a raindrop in a rainstorm compared to what we have already put into our waters.

So it is still regrettable but if it is the only viable option they have then it is understandable as well, still we really should have moved away from nuclear power a long time ago, Japan for example has far more than ample Geothermal energy it could have tapped.

Hmm, while a nuclear arsenal would not be popular with the Japanese people it does make you wonder, have they got one in secret for there own self defence and is China in for a very nasty surprise?.
(that's just me reading into the fact they DO have enrichment capability if they have nuclear power and they really don't need nuclear power though I can see the selling point but they do have all that geothermal energy right there they should have been using all along, then again maybe the nuclear option was cheaper at the time).

edit on 13-4-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I always had a soft spot in my heart for Godzilla. And, especially Baby Godzilla or as he is more uncommonly known, Godzuki.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

Yes they don't make cartoon's like the 80's any more sadly and instead make those creepy child like anime characters in Asia (it was best during the period when they made cartoon's like Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell over there) and dumbed down art styles in the west.
But for Nostalgia here is an episode of Godzilla from the 80's.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I thought we would all be dead by now.
Wasn't this supposed to kill the ocean and make california uninhabitable?

Tick tock....

I'm going for some sushi.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Just listening to someone talk about this on BBC world service radio-they said the Japanese government said there is no need to worry as "the radiation would be taken out leaving the water within the boundry of radiation in drinking water."

I get that certain foods and maybe drinking water from certain areas will have a natural "background" amount of radioactivity,but how would they go about treating water that is much more contaminated,due to it being from the area around the melted reactors of the Fukushima plant?

Is that possible to make such water safe?
If so how?
Do they somehow remove the radioactive particles-or do they just wait until the half life does its thing long enough for the levels to drop naturally?
Wouldn't that process take decades at least,depending on the isotopes in question?

One other concern I have about the fukushima situation is the massive amount(fields and fields full)of huge platic bagged radioactive topsoil which they are storing-its all just out in open fields in the same area that was swamped by the tsunami.

What the hell are they going to with that?
God help them if another tsunami hits that area and washes all that soil inland.

BAd situation.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

the news need yp cover this more

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Water does not become radioactive.
The water they are talking about contains particles of debris that is radioactive.
Those can be filtered from the water.

The real concern is the amount of radiation contained in the water which the article fails to mention. Gallons are irrelevant, rontgen and sieverts are what matters.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

That's not 80's Godzilla
True 80's Godzilla was re-runs of the 70's Cartoon.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Where is

the

United Nations ?? 😬

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

New York.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

And it'll drift right up to the shores of the west coast as it's been doing, hence the chemical imbalances across that region. Shouldn't hurt a thing that isn't already damaged. And for good measure, get your seafood from the Gulf or East coast.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I thought we would all be dead by now.
Wasn't this supposed to kill the ocean and make california uninhabitable?

Tick tock....

I'm going for some sushi.

If it's glowing (the sushi), don't eat it.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I would be more worried about that there Louisiana sea food than pacific nuclear sushi.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join