It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groundbreaking mRNA Scientist Whose Work Helped Develop Covid Vaccines

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade
a reply to: fiverx313

They offer no protection. This virus is everywhere and masks only create a hive around your respiratory organs. People wear a mask as they float around the supermarket without gloves touching items 100 people in the logistical chain have handled before them then touch the mask, adjust it, remove it, put in their pockets and various other unsanitary behaviour then expect that to stop viral particles which are formed around the 100nm scale. I believe the aerosol filtration efficiency at those scales of the most common masks is non existent. For example the N95 masks being touted are only effective down to 300nm.

You're right. The average mask doesn't mechanically filter much down at the 100 nm level. However, you seem to be operating under the incorrect assumption that free COVID19 viruses are floating around all by themselves. They're not. They are floating around in aerosol droplets that are typically 1 micron in size or larger. A typical virus mask will mechanically filter out particles down to about .3 microns, as you point out. Also, a good virus mask has a layer of blown polypropylene fabric in the middle. That kind of fabric has a built in electrostatic charge which not only attracts small particles by electrostatic precipitation, but also tends to electrically deactivate viruses. Electrostatic forces will act on particles down to the size of individual viruses, if necessary. That's one of the reasons they call them virus masks.

I don't think you actually understand the physics of what you're talking about, even though you seem to have strong opinions.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I wonder why all the first mRNA vaccines came from overseas companies, then?

... or is this like how Tesla 'invented' X-Rays and Radio?

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

seems like from the article that they shopped the concepts around to a lot of different places and those are the ones that bit? or maybe i'm misunderstanding you.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

ATS is blocking my reply.
edit on 11/4/21 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   
fiverx313:

...you could be infected and not know it...

Equally, he could not be infected and know it. You have your stance, and opinion, and everyone else has their's. I wear a mask at work and in any closed public space such as public transport, retail stores, etc, but I do so not because I fear becoming infected, but to ease the fears of those who do fear. I have worked throughout this manipulated crisis as an essential worker, and haven't caught the virus. I have been tested twice, both negative of course.

Your fear is your fear. Your unease is your unease. I feel unease but for entirely different reasons. The ATS member Grenade is quite correct when stating the failure of any virologist seeking the holy grail vaccine. It has been researched for decades and all attempts for a vaccine against viruses has failed...no exceptions. Vaccines don't cure anything, they aid the body to fight the symptoms, but it is the body itself that destroys the virus. This vaccine doesn't stop one from becoming infected, nor does it stop the vaccinated from infecting others. The vaccine's effectiveness runs down within 4 to 6 months.

Taking the vaccine, especially as a healthy human being, places one within a latitude of risk for potential deadly consequences. I won't put myself within that risk latitude. The unease I feel is to do with the sociological pressure coercion that will impact upon people. Many calling for vaccination passports need to fully understand the implications of going down that road. It is just the first (seemingly) benign step into deeper tyranny. A tyranny that will never be eased without civil conflict at some point in the future. Tyranny has always used noble causes to achieve its ends.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

You ignored the rest of my post regarding the infective hygiene standards and practices which render masks useless in the real world.

People don't use masks with blown polypropylene fabric, nor do they even consider the reliability or effectiveness. It's simply a virtue signal and you know it.

As for the science, please elaborate where i have mis-stated or failed to understand.

www.thelancet.com...(20)30323-4/fulltext

"Studies of cough aerosols and of exhaled breath from patients with various respiratory infections have shown striking similarities in aerosol size distributions, with a predominance of pathogens in small particles less than 5 μm. These are immediately respirable, suggesting the need for personal respiratory protection (respirators) for individuals in close proximity to patients with potentially virulent pathogens. There is no evidence that some pathogens are carried only in large droplets."

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

"This study calculates and elucidates the minimum size of respiratory particles that are potential carriers of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2); furthermore, it evaluates the aerosol generation potential of SARS-CoV-2. The calculations are based on experimental results and theoretical models. In the case of maximum viral-loading derived from experimental data of COVID-19 patients, 7.18 × 10−4% of a respiratory fluid particle from a COVID-19 patient is occupied by SARS-CoV-2. Hence, the minimum size of a respiratory particle that can contain SARS-CoV-2 is calculated to be approximately 4.7 μm. The minimum size of the particles can decrease due to the evaporation of water on the particle surfaces. There are limitations to this analysis: (a) assumption that the viruses are homogeneously distributed in respiratory fluid particles and (b) considering a gene copy as a single virion in unit conversions. However, the study shows that high viral loads can decrease the minimum size of respiratory particles containing SARS-CoV-2, thereby increasing the probability of aerosol generation of the viruses. The aerosol generation theory created in this study for COVID-19 has the potential to be applied to other contagious diseases that are caused by respiratory infectious microorganisms."

It appears i understand the science perfectly well.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

thank you for sharing your thoughts. i support people making their own choices about masks and vaccines. i just don't appreciate being called names and harassed over my choices.

again, this thread is not about masking or anti-masking, about whether one thinks covid is made up, about vaccine passports, or any of that. there are probably better places to express your very eloquent opinions on those matters.

ETA although i suppose it's a lost cause at this point. enjoy, everyone. hope you liked the article, lol
edit on 11-4-2021 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

ETA2: actually, pfizer is shown to still be at over 90% effectiveness AT six months, so in all probability the vaccine is effective for even longer than the cautious estimates.

edit on 11-4-2021 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

Perhaps, i wont hold my breath, nor restrict it with a mask in the mean time.

cool, you do you. i'll give you a six feet berth or wider in the meantime

FYI, it's 3 feet now, you know SCIENCE.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   

a reply to: chr0naut

seems like from the article that they shopped the concepts around to a lot of different places and those are the ones that bit? or maybe i'm misunderstanding you.

History of RNA biology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She was born 4 years after the description of mRNA function was theorized about and investigated by numerous biologists. It is one of the fundamentals of genetic biology and significantly pre-dates anything Katalin has researched.

The article is essentially a puff-piece that ignores massive worldwide work, for decades, by hundreds of geneticists and biologists.

Her company is significant in getting mRNA therapies to a practical stage (she is vice-president of BioNTech), but to say she is pivotal is to ignore both the vast march of technological progress in this area, and the other researchers, lab staff, and scientists involved in what has been a world-wide effort.

edit on 11/4/2021 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 09:12 PM
link   

We can speculate they saved lives however the truth be told those bombs killed over 100,000 in seconds.

That particular scientific advancement will likely put an end to us all.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   
fiverx313:

I support people making their own choices about masks and vaccines.

Me too, but I also think that people inform themselves in the best way they can about potential pitfalls, especially with the virus and the claims of the vaccine. Remember, it doesn't stop being infected or transmitting infection, the vaccine is only alleged to alleviate symptoms...that is all it can do. It is tragic, is it not, that many people have died or become seriously ill from taking the vaccine for a little bit of relief?

...this thread is not about masking or anti-masking, about whether one thinks covid is made up, about vaccine passports, or any of that.

Alas, it is all connected, and I doubt any thread on Sars-Cov-2 will be free of any of these connected points being raised.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Grenade:

We can speculate they saved lives however the truth be told those bombs killed over 100,000 in seconds.

Yes, they will kill billions in a matter of hours with a full-on nuclear exchange.

That particular scientific advancement will likely put an end to us all.

Scientific advancement is the path all intelligent creatures with the right physical body structure will go down, and will become another addition to the many threats to its existence.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I very much doubt scientific advancement is universal or shares common milestones among species.

As you said simple physiology will have a huge effect.

Imagine a species evolved for magnetoreception as an example.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Is that what is going to take again? Injecting people with an untested "vaccine" then a massive death toll, then saying, well it helped a little, but we wont do it again? Do you see the subtle similarities in your reply?a reply to: elysiumfire

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Tell that to the citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Why ?
The Emperor of Japan has already stated it saved a lot of Japanese lives as well.

Denying ignorance .
Why
HISTORY

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Name me one life it saved. I’ll name you 100,000 it cost.

You deal with hypothetical scenarios and I’ll stick to the fact.

Bombs don’t save lives no matter how much you spin it.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I find it insulting you regard me as some kind of danger to your health because i'm not wearing a totally ineffective scrap of cloth over my mouth.

Have you seen this doctor demonstrating your point so well? youtu.be...

I don't generally partake in the mask ritual and I secretly smile inside when I occasionally run into others not terrified or misled or just playing along because they are a zombified order follower.

I still love this old Mark Passio rant on Order Followers. Should be required watching. youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Well, this mRNA medication is not really a vaccine, because vaccines actually work with the immune system when this kind of bypasses it. I am skeptical about it's long term safety or how it will alter future immune responses to other pathogens, but if someone wants it, they can go for it. Well, I guess we will know in a few years, at that point, there will be mass coverups and excuses if things go bad and thousands of people will get fired or their licenses to do business in the medical industry taken away. I think it will just be a big coverup myself

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Kati Kariko Helped Shield the World From the Coronavirus

thought this was interesting and inspirational, this scientist persisted for decades of her career following up the idea of mRNA as a useful therapeutic, always following her ideas and the science even when positions were hard to secure and grant money was thin on the ground... and because she persisted the applications towards vaccines were seen and finally utilized now, when we really needed them.

i'm aware opinions will differ on whether these vaccines are necessary (or whether they are even vaccines lol), with this topic. not starting this thread to debate that and if it would be more appropriate in the science forum i'm fine with it being moved. just thought it was very neat how someone with a vision can spend their life working on it and finally see it pay off and do some good.

Dont believe any of this bull#, anyone who works in a lab knows this is a pleomorphic bacteria,if they say anyting else they are satanic freaks.It desnt matter if they are chineese or martian.

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Grenade

in general i do believe in applying healthy skepticism to everything, including science, and availing yourself of a thorough reading of all available evidence... but i don't think your take really applies here, to be honest.

How many times did she say I felt like a God?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join