It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug abuse is not a disease it is bad life decisions

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: panoz77

a reply to: panoz77
We get you don't understand this stuff.

I understand it perfectly. You are a democrat who has no personal responsibility. How'd I do?

Pretty far off in fact, I'm a former addict, not a Dem..you have any experience..or just talking out your ass?

You were a former addict? How did you cure your "disease"? Like I said, one cannot admit they made poor decisions, coping mechanism. You prefer to tell yourself you were just sick with a disease rather than admit you were a drug addict by your life choices.
edit on 10-4-2021 by panoz77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If you can take the person and drop them on an island without access their drug of choice, and that cures the "disease", it's not a disease. It's an addiction - physical or psychological or both, but not a disease. When choices can be made that eliminate the disease, its not a disease.

In no way am I downplaying the difficulty, impact, or physical dependency or damage of addiction, but it is simply not a disease. How did we get brainwashed to this level of zero personal accountability required?

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

See how that works?

You don't..that much is clear, so I'll assume..talking out your ass..have a nice day!

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I understand it perfectly. You are a democrat who has no personal responsibility. How'd I do?

Pretty far off in fact, I'm a former addict, not a Dem..you have any experience..or just talking out your ass?

You were a former addict? How did you cure your "disease"? Like I said, one cannot admit they made poor decisions, coping mechanism. You prefer to tell yourself you were just sick with a disease rather than admit you were a drug addict by your life choices.

Listen bub, you don't know the 1st thing about me..never once have I cried victim..stfu. I cleaned myself up, with little help, because I believed I could, and better was waiting for me if I did..never once blamed anyone for my position. And I never said every addict is the same..some are just cruising along, but some are irrefutably predisposed.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Personally, I appreciate people who become self aware, correct a flaw, and grow as a person. There's a lot that can be learned in life when there's rich contrast.

Kind of hard to find your own wisdom without reflection on mistakes.

I don't think you'll find very many answers if you try to view things so binary. But then again, maybe you're not after real answers, perhaps you are keen to the ones you tell yourself are truths.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Withdrawal is caused from the brain no longer producing substances like dopamine. The drug substance you have used has impaired it. That's why they say, "once an addict always an addict".

But I was able to correct this by using a device called the Biotuner. I no longer have the urge to drink as the electromedicine device keeps it under control. If I'm not feeling good I use it. Probably a couple time per month.

But you will never hear of this from the Drug controlled medical installation. Once you have the device you don't need their drugs. Thought police will have this post deleted.

edit on 10-4-2021 by Doctor Smith because: small edit

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Listen bub, you don't know the 1st thing about me..never once have I cried victim..stfu. I cleaned myself up, with little help, because I believed I could, and better was waiting for me if I did..never once blamed anyone for my position. And I never said every addict is the same..some are just cruising along, but some are irrefutably predisposed.

You didn't answer the simple question with a simple reply. I'll help you, since you seem to need a little help with certain things. You stopped ingesting your drug of choice. CURED!

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Personally, I appreciate people who become self aware, correct a flaw, and grow as a person. There's a lot that can be learned in life when there's rich contrast.

I don't think you'll find very many answers if you try to view things so binary. But then again, maybe you're not after real answers, perhaps you are keen to the ones you tell yourself are truths.

You get it!..thank you!!

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

You get it!..thank you!!

Yes, you cured your bad life choices by making good life choices. Not a disease.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
NVM

I was a bit rude, my bad.

edit on 10-4-2021 by vonclod because: I was rude

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Although you too can allow yourself to call it 'bad luck' you met your drug when you where susceptible.
Life doesn't wait for you to get ready. It happens and you're left playing catch-up.
Everybody has weak moments. A period out of balance.
Genetical predisposition or not.
What you can take from that, positively is you can train to control and seperate what's the chemical and what are your feelings.
Explore what helps you express your feelings and learn to ride the chemical tiger.

Just my 2 cents, you got me thinking and I ran with it.

link   
a reply to: Halfswede

The disease is what underlies it. On that island, you have a person dropped without the coping mechanism they use to deal with whatever demon is chasing them.

Maybe its not a disease. Maybe it is. Bipolar people tend to use a lot of drugs. The abuse isn't the disease...the disease creates the behavior.

link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I got some non narcotic drum n bass.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Although you too can allow yourself to call it 'bad luck' you met your drug when you where susceptible.
Life doesn't wait for you to get ready. It happens and you're left playing catch-up.
Everybody has weak moments. A period out of balance.
Genetical predisposition or not.
What you can take from that, positively is you can train to control and seperate what's the chemical and what are your feelings.
Explore what helps you express your feelings and learn to ride the chemical tiger.

Just my 2 cents, you got me thinking and I ran with it.

I'm not trying to be rude with Panoz, I just don't think he understands addiction..it's irrefutable there is some genetic predisposition..in "some"

I wouldn't say ever that I have the disease of addiction, My addiction was on me, I was cruising along and got caught up. I know people who are going to be lifers though.

So, I do have an addictive personality, I just channel it into positive things, I collect records, audio gear, stuff like that. When I dive in..I really dive in. Perhaps the "addictive personality" trait, is part of the equation..well, for sure it is

edit on 10-4-2021 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

one of the most unfortunate facts of life is you spend your entire life trying to work through your demons, learning to treat the world around you more kindly...you become a better person. Just in time to die.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   

You mean a "all or nothing" personality?

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

You mean a "all or nothing" personality?

That works!!

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I like to think that is a good thing.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I like to think that is a good thing.

It can be, it can also be problematic if you get too obsessive..
it's not a problem for me though. I have learned to manage myself.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   

So, I do have an addictive personality, I just channel it into positive things, I collect records, audio gear, stuff like that. When I dive in..I really dive in. Perhaps the "addictive personality" trait, is part of the equation..well, for sure it is

I was trying to respond to one of your posts, but couldn't quite articulate it, I think you did a good job here.

Many try and catagorize people who've had bouts with addiction as less than or deserving of any bad fortune that may follow. Ironically, the same people who will argue its not a disease we should view more in a medical sense than a criminal justice are the same who would have addicts wear the Scarlett letter showing they're less than.

We all have our battles, and as you pointed out, weeknesses can be harnessed as strengths, but it requires introspection and self awareness. Often people with addictive personalities are the most passionate, driven, innovative, and have the most attention to detail. It can be an affliction that may never get shook, but perhaps learned to be symbiotic.

Sometimes someone just knows the right way to harness that energy and lives productively with it all the way through. Sometimes elite performers have an instance where their passion is taken away, like an injured athlete. Maybe they see a period where an escape from the harsh reality, or a way to turn the switch off they always had on.

We could go through a thousand scenerios where a stand up human being is tested. And being that we're all human, we never know how we'd handle hypotheticals. I imagine we all have something that could break us, even if that be for a metephorical moment in our time line.

They why isn't as important as they moving past it though. Few things are more beautiful to me than redemption. Doesn't mean we have to glorify addiction, or even say someone shouldn't try to better themselves and move past it. I think that's what some of the people who are afraid of decriminalization don't get. It's not that we're saying it's okay, it's that we don't think we're fixing anything, or at least effectively with our current trajectory.
edit on 10-4-2021 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2021 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join