It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Mario Bros’ Speedrun Record Beaten After 2 Years

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Quite the feat! Guy beats Super Mario Bros. in a flawless 4 minutes, 54 seconds -- beating the previous world record.

I remember as a kid back in the '80s/'90s, it took me AWHILE to beat it. I miss my old NES collection; must've had around 40-50 cartridges.
edit on 10-4-2021 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

I'm always in awe of those people who have devoted so much time to these games they can beeat a world record by seconds and have it be big news.

I grew up playing nes games, there's a handful of carts I've had since I was kid I still haven't beat. Watching people these days just destroy these games in super human ways is pretty amazing.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 11:19 PM
link   
wow that was awesome. I used to try do that and i think my personal record was around 8 minutes. dude had some tricks up his sleeve i didn't know about.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Uhhh it doesn't count unless you use an original NES controller. Good job with the cheat session though.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha
wow that was awesome. I used to try do that and i think my personal record was around 8 minutes. dude had some tricks up his sleeve i didn't know about.

A "trick" Like perhaps a keyboard?

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Oh my god

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I'm always in awe of those people who have devoted so much time to these games they can beeat a world record by seconds and have it be big news.

I grew up playing nes games, there's a handful of carts I've had since I was kid I still haven't beat. Watching people these days just destroy these games in super human ways is pretty amazing.

It's not really super-human when you use more advanced controls than what was originally available.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Oh my god

10 years from now ill beat his score with a littoral nod and a wave....would you then exclaim..."oh my god"?

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Cool.

Takes a lot of work to beat the records now. Shaving hundreds or even thousandths of a second off, or a few frames.

Keyboards are perfectly acceptable and ARE accepted for speedruns on NES for most games. just a mechanical button afterall.

ETA: OMG i'm such a f'n nerd.

edit on 4/9/2021 by MykeNukem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Uhhh it doesn't count unless you use an original NES controller. Good job with the cheat session though.

In no way was he cheating with a keyboard. It's a 1:1 copy of the game -- using an emulator, and every move he made in the game can be reproduced with an NES controller. Whether played with a controller, or keyboard, you are still bound by and USING the game's physics to accomplish the feat. If any cheating were taking place, I wouldn't have shared it.

edit on 10-4-2021 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Nah I'm talking about those real intense people who buy Nintendos from garage sales and insist on playing on CRTs. Check the world of retro game speed running. So many insane players that put my child hood self to shame.
edit on 10/4/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Nah I'm talking about those real intense people who buy Nintendos from garage sales and insist on playing on CRTs. Check the world of retro game speed running. So many insane players that put my child hood self to shame.

Yea, they all look like Billy Mitchell. lol

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Still so much more impressive then anything you can share with us.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Oh my god

10 years from now ill beat his score with a littoral nod and a wave....would you then exclaim..."oh my god"?

Put your money or mmmmm ATS money that is where your mouth is bruh.
The dude clearly has been on his crap for a bit now.

If you want to talk down to an old school gamer such as this guy then show him up. If not then shut up!

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Oh my god

If your video features you exclaiming "oh my god" about 400 times, then yes. Otherwise likely no.

Feeling crabby today?

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Nopezzz.. he got tagged a few times

I call cheats

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech

In no way was he cheating with a keyboard. It's a 1:1 copy of the game -- using an emulator, and every move he made in the game can be reproduced with an NES controller. Whether played with a controller, or keyboard, you are still bound by and USING the game's physics to accomplish the feat. If any cheating were taking place, I wouldn't have shared it.

Dude using the keyboard in and of itself is cheating. It's much easier to use a keyboard than to use an NES controller.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 06:35 AM
link   

The Rules state otherwise. A keyboard with mechanical buttons is the same as an NES brick controller. No advantage from it at all.

Speedruns.com

Approved hardware/software (please specify in the run comment):
NES Categories
Original NES, Famicom or FDS
Original NES or Famicom with Everdrive or Powerpak
Wii, Wii U, Switch and 3DS Virtual Console, GameBoy Advance
FCEUX, Nestopia, Bizhawk, OpenEMU
Frontends used in conjunction with these emulators that can alter the performance (ex. RetroArch) are not permitted
NES Classic Edition
Analogue NT Mini
SNES Categories
Original SNES or Super Famicom
Original SNES or Super Famicom with Super Everdrive or SD2SNES
Wii All-Stars Rerelease
Snes9x or Bizhawk
Frontends used in conjunction with these emulators that can alter the performance (ex. RetroArch) are not permitted
If you do not see a specific platform on this list, then it is not permitted.

Global Rules
Game audio must be present in the recording for the duration of the run.
All times require a video on a publicly visible site. YouTube and Twitch are fine. Personal storage sites such as Google Drive and Dropbox are discouraged. If the videos are removed or no longer accessible, the run is subject to removal from the leaderboard.
Anything that you cannot do with an original and unmodified NES, brick controller and SMB1 cartridge is prohibited. Including but not limited to:
Turbo
L + R
Savestates
Altering the game speed (FPS)
Using a bad ROM (missing title screen, different graphics, etc.)
You may be asked to provide us additional data upon request to assist us in our verification process. Splits, input files (if applicable), entire attempt sessions and local recordings mostly cover what we'd ask for and it's a good idea to hang on to those.

Do some homework next time and Deny Ignorance.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech

I remember as a kid back in the '80s/'90s, it took me AWHILE to beat it. I miss my old NES collection; must've had around 40-50 cartridges.

That's what made it so great: Certain areas could take you a long time to get through, but once you got it all figured out, it's actually very easy to do.

Thinking back on it now, Super Mario Bros. was the perfect game to come along with the console. I don't think Nintendo could have made a better choice, for getting people/kids hooked.

Simultaneously hard & easy = Perfect.

Trying to get through it as quick as possible while using the Warp Zones was never fun to me. My final goal was to make it straight through all 32 Levels on one life. That actually felt like an accomplishment. lol

edit on 4/10/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Dude using the keyboard in and of itself is cheating. It's much easier to use a keyboard than to use an NES controller.

a reply to: MykeNukem

Personally, I agree with Alien Abduct, and I don't give a crap what the official rules state. This is just an opinion. We're not here to authenticate on behalf of Guinness World Records.

Using the keyboard, the speed and the length/height/distance of a complete jump, all seem the same.

But with the partial jumps, he seems to have much more control with choosing precisely how high he wants to jump, than you would have if using the original controller.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just old school, but that's my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join