It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk's Neuralink reveals monkey playing Pong with brain implant

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Neat.

I bet as he practices more he will be able to go way faster.

The implications of where this tech can and wil be utilized are awe inspiring and scary AF at the same time.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: CriticalStinker

The human mind is in no way machine compatible in the sense of wiring in hardware. The brain is nothing like a computer.

What it will take is learning to use it like a prosthetic. Sacrifices wil have to be made as the brain is already pretty completely utilized. Neuroplasticity has its limits, and like will be best served in kids who grow into am implant.

Similarly....because tye human mind is nothing like a computer it could be that strong AI just won't happen under current theories dominated by the "mind-computer metaphor".
It's only a matter of time until the technology evolves and discoveries are made. Eventually, they'll be able to record the way in which one's brain signals everything action and perhaps emotion. Surely it will become feasible to stimulate the brain in such a way one's actions and feelings can be manipulated.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Neat.

I bet as he practices more he will be able to go way faster.

The implications of where this tech can and wil be utilized are awe inspiring and scary AF at the same time.

That's true!

On one hand, you can see a future where people go to sleep then wake up and download their dreams and share their dreams with others.

You might also download a years worth of College in a month or shorter. The problem with that is human memory. If they find a way to couple this faster access to information with expanded memory, then you're looking at the evolution of Neo-Sapiens. We will truly be plugged into the Matrix without all of the hardware.

On the other hand, Governments are about control and this could be the ultimate tool of control. Also, could your mind be hacked and influenced or taken over? Could someone download information about you that's only in your mind and you don't even know it?

What will happen to the human race? How will we change with these expanding capabilities? What about humans that don't want a brain chip? You will then have A.I., enhanced humans and regular humans. What will happen when enhanced humans become Cyborgs and exchange their arms, legs and eyes for bionic arms, legs and eyes that are way more efficient than flesh and blood?

This could be a long way off or 10-20 years away if technology in quantum computers and A.I. grows twice as fast as Moore's Law near the end of Moore's Law. We could approach something like a technological singularity in short order.
edit on 10-4-2021 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Each brain is so unique, with each synapse connection grown through a unique combination of experience....it boggles the mind how you can hack something like that.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Seriously concerned that this may turn into mindless human's controlled by artificial intelligence, mindless humans tied into a neural internet at all times with there thoughts monitored and even censored, mindless humans that buy this thinking it is something cool

But of course there are military applications and space age ones.

Astronauts tied into there space craft systems at all times, pilots using the ultimate fly by wire system.

And of course the potential for people locked in there body's to express there thought's and communicate.

It would also overnight make mobile phones, personal computers etc obsolete.

However very dangerous and would you want to have a permanent link between your mind and the government a government that would then be able to control you as such a doorway of course goes both way's especially as the technology expands.

The ultimate tool of a dystopian future.

edit on 10-4-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Don't even think about the implications with possible punishment. How about a week long nightmare or some migrane because you didn't do your body excercise and this means you will be a burden for society in future.

If I just could remember where I got this idea... it was something about the numbers 4 8 9 1

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:36 AM
link   

so if they can read the brains output to the point of being able to control a silly game, i would if they have decoded visual stimuli or memories/dreams

brains in jars......brains in jars

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Have you seen the movie "Upgrade"?

Its a Black Mirroresque look at neural implants. I do not believe that the chip installed was strong AI....but became strong AI after interacting with the neurons in the recipients head. A truly meshed chipset would be able to utilize neurons as much as the neurons could utilize it....its an interesting concept.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Good idea, Everbody get's a creepy hackable device implanted into their brains.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Right.

So while machine parts to fix my back or limbs is cool I'm going to skip the computer chips in my body.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
That is about the coolest and scariest thing ever.

Cool:
“Brain dead” patients being able to show their thoughts, explain their pain, communicate.

Scary: brain-hacking, false memories, etc.

I hate that our greatest achievements are all corrupted by vile humanity.

ETA: if we know about it, they’ve had the tech for a long time. I’m gonna guess some walking among us have been unknowingly tested already.
edit on 10-4-2021 by SuperStudChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Look it's not all bad, think about it like this the technology COULD be used to create an alternative electronic nervous system to allow fully paralyzed patients to once again control there body's, to prevent degenerative nerve conditions from necessarily meaning a person ends up in a wheel chair for the last years of there life.

So there are good applications, I just fear the bad ones that necessarily come with EVERY invention humanity makes.

And at least Musk is himself one whom has warned of the danger of AI.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   
imagine a caterpillar being offered the computer emulation of being a butterfly. So easy. Yes, why would you not accept such a miracle? Well... because it would be better if you actually transformed into a butterfly, rather than running a computer emulation of such a transition. Hell will take over because people want the reward without the process.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Basically CyberPunk?

Throw in real world Gene Splicing, you got a technocrat future that’s intimidating.

Truth is, Elon’s right. In order to compete with A.I., we need to merge Technology with Biology so that we can maintain an edge against a man made entity that has the compute of Super Computers 1000 fold and can interact with any device it’s connected to.

Considering that, I welcome this merger. In fact, we’re already in the subtle process of it anyways. We wear Digital watches with our multi core always online and updated smartphones, we totally emerge ourselves in the digital when not doing anything in the Real as evident in this very forum. Our daily lives are so dependent upon technology that this future is more likely to happen.

Will it happen overnight? No. But consider this, where were we 20 years ago in regards to Technology? We’re getting old folks. I lurked several years on ATS before joining and I remember some of the wayward discussions back then on Technology, can you imagine the discussions now? A reinvention of something but much more powerful and efficient then yesterdays design?

It’s all coming to a pass folks and I believe our children’s children will see the fruits of this labor.

The ethical battles of tomorrow will involve these premises and I can only imagine how people will react.

Perhaps this is the path to Immortality, to shed our biological selves and upload to spectrums of light, a Domain for Humankind, operating beyond the speed of light unto infinity, where we become something more, leaving our planet empty and ready for the next dominate species to flourish.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

Neuralink, the brain-implant start up founded by SpaceX head honcho and self-appointed "technoking" Elon Musk, has unveiled a new video of a nine-year-old monkey named "Pager" playing Pong... with its brain.

The three minute video shows Pager learning to control a computer with his brain activity. At first, the monkey uses a joystick to interact with the computer for a "tasty banana smoothie, delivered through a straw." The narrator states Pager has two Neuralink devices implanted in his brain. The devices, which Musk calls a "Fitbit for your skull," were revealed at a press briefing in August 2020.

As Pager plays through the games, the narrator explains the Neuralink devices in his brain are reading his brain activity and that activity is being decoded by a computer. When the team disconnect the joystick, Pager keeps playing the game -- and the brain-implant allows him to play "MindPong," as Neuralink has dubbed it.

www.cnet.com...

This tech is very interesting and it will do a lot of good for people who are paralyzed. Of course that's just the first step. Musk has already said he thinks humans will need these chips in their heads to compete with A.I.

The idea is to reduce bandwidth between humans and the internet. So to find something on Wikipedia, you have to type it into your computer or open an app and find it. Musk wants you to be able to find it just by thinking about it.

There's always a dark side to everything because of human behavior. A chair is good to sit in but a human can use that same chair to kill somebody. With this tech, your thoughts to some extent could be known and hacked. Could this brain implants allow people to hack into your brain and control your movement?

Any thoughts?

We only need to worry when Pong starts playing the monkey.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Medical implications would be great for prosthetics, an probably remote control.

Thing is should I buy OEM, or aftermarket, an what about the mods? Or the new Iphone that comes out every year, or should I wait for one with Solid-state drive, and hope it built to last something in 50s.

Will there be any excuse not to pick the phone anymore?Ads about male member enlargement everywhere, because it will be the part of us left that is human.
edit on 10-4-2021 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Think of it this way: either we take the link and merge with AI, or the fungus that controls cicadas will take over us.

Actually, that's a load of hooey. I really just wanted to ask if anyone remembers when Elon Musk was a cofounder of that ultra douchey Hot or Not website. I could have sworn he came up with it and went on to Social Concepts, which runs fubar.com, which is a sort of continuation of hotornot, but way more fun.

Whatever the case, it seems like a lot of Elon info has been quietly removed somehow. I don't even know how that could happen. Maybe the computers are truly working for him already!

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Any thoughts?

First of all, I noticed that eve without the joystick the monkey still made the same gestures, so it doesn't look like the monkey is only thinking about it and the system doing it, basically the monkey is still doing the same thing he has done with the joystick.

That method is nothing new, and has been used in several trials across the world.

The one below is in fact a step above that, as the man has to think about what movement he wants to execute with his missing limb.

And this one is more advanced.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DarkestConspiracyMoon

This is totally only for the good of humanity, no ulterior motive hiding behind this whatsoever.

that's a fine piece of sarcasm there.

no body would ever think to put a back door in it for the, ability to control people's actions, reasoning, thoughts, conversations, or the ability to make one forget the aforementioned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join