It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Phillip Duke of Edinburgh dead at 99

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
Yes, she could have handed him his greetings telegram across the breakfast table.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This has been superseded by the post further down the page. I quoted when I meant to edit.
edit on 9-4-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   
One less human on the planet. The prince himself would be happy about that.

a reply to: MazMaric

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That's kinda what I was asking.
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this royalty thing.
Shouldn't Charles be the king since he's the first born son?

On a side note, i have never understood the whole royalty thing. We pick our leaders and don't respect them so I can't imagine respecting a blood line you have no say over.

Charles will be King after the Queen dies.

Things have also been up dated that the line of succession include females
which never happened in the past. So now Charlotte comes before louis.
Where as Anne was below Edward.

Surprise surprise We pick our leaders too!! Royalty is only a figure head from
the past.

edit on 9-4-2021 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: ufoorbhunter
The clangers were partly becuase he did not change the assumptions of his generation. My father, who was a couple of years older, was referring to "nig-nogs" to the end of his days.

So true and for someone 99 years old one can accept that things back then, so long ago were as you state, "the assumptions of his generation"

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:12 AM
link   
originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: Bluntone22
Actually the logic is that the baton (so to speak) passes in strict line of descent to the eldest child (if possible) of the previous ruler, and women are not excluded. So Elizabeth became queen in her own right on the death of her father, and Chalres will have to wait until she dies.

Becoming a king by marrying the heiress was possible in some historical systems, but not in the current British laws.

On the question of respect; the current queen has been described as a "universal grandmother", a role originally created by Victoria, The public emotion when she dies will certainly reflect that.

Also you know from recent experience that a President chosen on a politcal basis almost necessarily has half the country against him. I put it to you that a Head of State who is outside politics altogether is a much more unifying representative figure. Furthermore, one who hasn't had to make any sordid political bargains to get there.

edit on 9-4-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   
P.S. I haven't seen any announcement yet, but under normal circumstances there would have been a state funeral. The arrangements for that will be the next topic of debate. Do the Household cavalry have to maintain social distancing, or is it enough just to be on horseback?

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Great, there is going to be f.u.c.k. all else on tv for weeks.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: bellagirl
Americans need to understand...

The person you're replying to is not American, it's in their profile.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I know that royalty has no real power anymore.
I don't know why they havent been kicked out on their butts yet.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Another outpouring of faux grief and # songs in 1....2...

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I know that royalty has no real power anymore.
I don't know why they havent been kicked out on their butts yet.

Because they're billionaires who own an enormous amount of land in the U.K. ? And all of the swans.

There would have to be a massive revolution to technically... steal... I guess, all of the land she owns?

It's a really crazy system and the British public basically rents England from the Royals because technically they own it all. Hence why they get so many tax dollars.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

That's kinda the point I was making...
The ownership is questionable at best.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I wonder if Harry will be allowed to bring the fuzzy wuzzy to the funeral. Only Brits will get this.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   
All political stuff aside, he was a pretty cool dude, duck, whatever.. I hope he's in a better place, Rip.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Lose ten Social Credit points.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I think it's questionable to us, as land owners outside of the U.K. (I think I remember you saying you owned properties in other threads), but in the U.K., it's not really as ceremonial or arbitrary.

They're all kind of inhabiting her island, and I don't think violent revolution is something that's going to happen, even if she's been politically undermined (or has she... dun dun duuun).

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
My deepest condolence to the British people and their monarchy sad day for many, he lived a long life next to his beloved wife the Queen, you do not see this long lasting couples this day anymore.

edit on 9-4-2021 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
My deepest condolence to the British people and their monarchy sad day for many, he live a long live next to his beloved wife the Queen, you do not see this long lasting couples this day anymore.

Yes, it's true. Couples don't seem to care about showing one face to the world while weathering infidelity and abuse behind the scenes anymore. What a shame.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join