It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And just who in our government is supposed to prevent this Social Issue?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 02:27 AM
link   
It should be being taught in school how teens should handle Cyber/Stalkers.

It is insane that this had to happen to this kid We need stronger laws and better ways to identify these Cyber/Stalkers.

An upstate New York teen died by suicide last week after he was allegedly blackmailed with “personal” images on social media, according to his family.

www.yahoo.com...
edit on 9-4-2021 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc
This is tragic that he didn't had anyone to trusted to go to, that could have helped resolve this. The one trying to extort drove him to suicide. For what, 3500 bucks? For the victim there was much more on stake, destroying ones reputation is something I can sing a song about, from the receiving side, twice.

It's all so dangerous today with the new decives, fast internet and high resolution cameras. Anyone can buy small cameras for a couple of bucks and what stops some pervert schoolmates with access to ebay or amazon from buying a couple and hide them?

They all have smartphones now, if I were young today, I wouldn't trust anybody alone in my room for just 5 seconds.

We had the term "mobbing" but it's basically bullying from a whole group. It's hard when you're outcast for a physical trait and even today I still pick it up sometimes. I am not searching for it but it's kind of obvious if you're talking with two persons and I mispronounce the S (lisp) because it's really hard to keep a flow while trying to not mess up the S.

And they both exchange funny looks in front of my eyes, I pick that up. These situations happen, not that often lately because of missing interaction but it's normal part of my life. And it's not nice but I just think "asshole" and smile. It's important not to let such things get under ones skin.

There are lot's of rude, juvenile idiots out there and anyone facing them, just give a ## about them. Don't empower them with a reaction, just give a #. If it becomes violent, find help through parents, teachers, adults. It isn't as easy to do as reading it.

It should be being taught in school how teens should handle Cyber/Stalkers.

Isn't it? I graduated 2007 from Gymnasium and this was a topic when I was in 6th or 7th class (around 2002). I changed school and there a lot of kids already had mobile phones. Just the SMS kind, no pictures though. In 10th class we had this topic again but more focused on instant messengers and the first social platforms like myspace, studiVZ. Yearly reminders too but more casual like at the start of the years a "don't do that".

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Morals and ethics are not taught, at least the constructive and positive ones don't get taught. Postmodern relativism leaves no room for objective truths only competing personal subjective opinions charged with emotional responses. When an omnipotent creator deity is removed from the equation, there are no objective universal truths, only flawed sensory perception and flawed human thought processes forever separate from an objective reality, if one even exists.

I don't believe any of that, but that is the "science" taken to it's only conclusion in regard to reality vs our capacity to experience it.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

10 years ago this was just stuff that you knew instinctively. Nobody needed to tell kids not to send naked pictures to Complete strangers on the Internet. Or that they should block creepy guys on chat forums.

This is less a matter of having to educate people, and more a matter of letting kids experience life rather than censoring everything in case it upsets somebody.

Bring back common sense, and stop blaming everybody else when a kid does something stupid.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Cyber Security and social privacy should be a part of every school curriculum in my option.

No, it's not enough to leave it to the parents. It requires someone with in-depth knowledge of how these things actually work and refresher courses should be held each year by someone who deals with cybercrime on a daily basis, not just the "IT teacher".
edit on 9-4-2021 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

This isn't really true though.

Cyberstalking is as old as all the old chat rooms. Creepy people on the internet have been taking advantage of naive people, kids, teens, and adults since the beginning.

Think about all the Chris Hansen To Catch A Predator specials. They started in 2004.

In the year 2000, a distant relative of mine met a man from Texas on the internet (She was 40 at the time.) Despite tons of red flags that this person wasnt who he said he was, she flew to Texas to marry him. Surprise, he was actually two old women running some kind of crazy life insurance scam and they were plotting to make sure she died somehow to get the life insurance they, posing as her online boyfriend, so graciously bought for her.

And she ONLY left because her cousin forced her to and called the FBI.

People are dumb. They see what they want to see and they always have. Common sense has never ever been common.
edit on 9-4-2021 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2021 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   
People stalk others in sites like this all the time, it is not just happening on stuff like facebook and twitter. Look how people are stalking the president of the USA, especially Trump, it shows that our society has taken a turn to the worse, that people do not respect others who have a different belief or opinion than they do. Some people hate rich people, some hate the poor, some poor belittle others to make themselves look better. I am better than you because I have a better phone or phone plan is one of the new things that is happening, poor people will spend so much on their phone that they are starving sometimes. The Obama phones just got the poor hooked on cell phone technology.

I have no clue how to fix this, but know this, kids pick up some bad behavior from listening to their parents complain about others too. But it is not limited to that, that behavior is spread throughout the schools and it degrades society. It was bad when I was in school, but nothing like it is now, they used to write insults on lockers or put notes on people's backs when I was young. Now kids cannot get away from it because it is spread all over social media...and it is not limited to kids either, adults are targeted often too.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Look how people are stalking the president of the USA, especially Trump, it shows that our society has taken a turn to the worse, that people do not respect others who have a different belief or opinion than they do. 
a reply to: rickymouse

But when did it turn? Stalking has always been an issue, it's not new to society.

Look at Lincoln or Kennedy. Kennedy especially was stalked not only by members of the public (as are all presidents I'm sure), but by the governmental agencies that he was supposed to work with.

Now we just see it constantly, and people have easier access to personal information, so they access it. But I believe stalkers always would have taken advantage of a system that gave them access to stalk public figures, or anyone they might be obsessed with.

We can't think of this as a new thing. It's just a new way to do it.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Yes, it has always been a problem. People have always wanted to make others look bad so it makes them look better. It is part of human nature I guess. The only thing that has changed is that social media has made it much easier to do.

Just start trying to uncover deceit of big corporations and pharma and the shills and Trolls will try to discredit you. The same goes with people, if you do not believe as they do, they might attack your words and you personally. Being on this site has given me some practice and insight into this happening in society, I thank those here who have taught me it exists even if we are on opposing sides on an issue. I am not going to let negativity ruin my life and I am not going to turn into someone who goes out and attacks other people because they believe differently but will try to promote reality and truth if possible.

Sometimes the best medicine is found in nature, just because people isolate chemicals out of nature to profit from them does not mean that you cannot use the food to stop the progression of disease. I would rather not get sick than get sick and need doctors to give me expensive meds. But remember, you do not take a medicine unless needed in high amounts, same goes for natural medicines.

join