It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the battle lines being drawn?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

I live in White County, here in Southern Illinois, and when we voted this past November 3rd, it was actually on my ballot here in the county about splitting off from Cooke County. I voted YES to the proposal, of course. These times really are getting crazy. I don't know what's going to happen or what to be prepared for if and when something does happen. But something is going to happen. We can't continue like we are right now and expect absolutely no consequences from it.

Oh, to add to what I just said. If Illinois should become divided, the very first bank was down here at my end of the state because they thought Chicago wouldn't amount to much. How right they were! So, we want to keep the name "Illinois." Let Chicago come up with their own new state name.

I voted for it as well, and I really like the idea of making Chicago come up with their own state name.

Well, we've got the greater land mass, so that should give us the better claim to naming rights. If people in Chicago don't like this proposition, let them come and see us down at the bottom of the state. But maybe they better not come during hunting season....

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Woah ... if no Amendment is absolute, then why are we paying taxes on the 15th? Someone tell me why that is?

Taxation is and almost always has been theft.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Woah ... if no Amendment is absolute, then why are we paying taxes on the 15th? Someone tell me why that is?

It is, but many would disagree. However, from time to time taxes are necessary for some things. The problem is when they are not closed loop purposes - this tax for that public works project; this tax ends when that public works project is complete.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It stands as precedent that power take by the govt is never given back.

Part and parcel of the apathy that plagues us

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Which is why the founders of this country did not write income tax into the constitution, that came later, during the civil war.
edit on 4/9/2021 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Which is why the founders of this country did not write income tax into the constitution, that came later, during the civil war.

Yeah , they Also Forgot to add the Phrase " Fiscal Responsibility " into the Constitution . Hmm... a Freuden Slip ?

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Yeah , they Also Forgot to add the Phrase " Fiscal Responsibility " into the Constitution . Hmm... a Freuden Slip ?

They made the mistake of assuming those who "serve" the people would want to be fiscally responsible.
edit on 4/9/2021 by Klassified because: formatting

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Even then, it was temporary, but the people got lazy and decided they would rather simply have the government take the money up front than be responsible for paying it out themselves at the end of the year, and here came the income tax Amendment.

Of maybe I recall wrong, and the withholding was part of the FDR era.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Do you actually blame them?

Coming out of the war for independence that way they did and having suffered like they had, they assumed that no one would ever conceive of abusing the power they fought so hard to escape. It was just that precious and dearly won.

What they never reckoned on was the eroding power of generations of complacency.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   

When our nation was founded, the argument raged over federal supremacy. Washington left little doubt on his views on this matter when he squashed the Whiskey Rebellion. But papers were written, orators orated, debaters debated....then Lincoln wiped his ass with the US constitution so he could exert Federalism once and for all. This flexing continued with reconstruction, which is actually the basis for much of the white supremacy that sprouted up. Had Uncle Sam been a little kinder to the regular folk, and taken up grievances with the wealthy land owners, we likely would have seen reconciliation instead of reconstruction.

Ever since, the "settled" case of federalism has simmered beneath the surface. There have been grand unifying events like WWI and WWII. But in the end, we are still a collection of states, and SCOTUS protection of states rights in the face of Lincolns actions have kept alive the notion that states have some modicum of power.

I guess we will see. The states that would support these measures are also seeing large scale loss of tax base. California is basically just moving to Texas, leaving the folks who live in the ghettos and cannot leave behind. I used to really worry about it changing the state....but every transplant I have interacted with states they came here because we are sane. So here's hoping for the best.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Texas can stay sane only if those transplants vote sane.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The problem is, they won't vote for sanity. They'll keep voting for the same exact garbage that they did in California, and then complain about how Texas used to be great.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

then Lincoln wiped his ass with the US constitution so he could exert Federalism once and for all.

I'm glad you said that instead of me. People who haven't read their history get really offended when you bring that up.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The argument can be made that there was a greater good that he went for. But that aside, it is impossible to view his actions as anything other than tyranny even if you agreed with the end result.

And lets not fool ourselves: Lincoln didn't care about black people. He has letters he has written that that are pretty clear on his feelings. What Lincoln DID care about, and what was a reasonable concern to have, was the impact that slaves had on people who wanted to work. In another thread I discussed how human entered into this contract we call "society" understanding that we would get access to the goods it provides in return for labor to help build it. When you have people living without jobs in a nation full of slaves, its easy to see the issue. His objection to slavery was not moral, it was economic. And regardless of my moral concerns, i whole heartedly agree with his economic concern. Just not in how it was handled.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Didn't that #head Biden swear on the Bible that he would support and defend the Constitution of the United States?
Sounds like he needs to be removed.

Biden WILL be removed, by God and country. It's only a matter of time, when someone as vile as him is doing the things he is doing to America.
Biden belongs to the devil.
edit on 10-4-2021 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Your 2 posts combined are a short, concise history lesson. Something sorely needed in this country since our schools don't seem to be accomplishing the job. They're interested in indoctrination rather than education.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Didn't that #head Biden swear on the Bible that he would support and defend the Constitution of the United States?

Biden WILL be removed, by God and country. It's only a matter of time, when someone as vile as him is doing the things he is doing to America.

Biden isn't near as big of a problem as those pulling his strings. Without them, he couldn't tie his shoelaces.

posted on Apr, 10 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Biden isn't near as big of a problem as those pulling his strings. Without them, he couldn't tie his shoelaces.

That is certainly true, but Biden is their spokesperson and he deserves to be taken to account in the worst way.
edit on 10-4-2021 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

We need a repeat, only this time don't force the two sides back into marriage like the lunatics in DC idiotically did 160 years ago when the war is over. Let the two sides go their separate ways completely.

Many conservatives live in blue states and liberals in red states. In my home state, Texas, which a number of out-of-state liberals hate with a passion, Sen. Ted Cruz barely defeated the radical Beto O'Rourke by 50.9 percent vs. 48.3 percent in 2019.

Texas will likely turn blue in the near future due to its rapidly increasing Hispanic population and the dwindling rural population versus the growing urban population. But even so it'll have a huge number of conservatives for the foreseeable future.

California, which many conservative Texans think is populated overwhelmingy by wealthy hippies, has a sizable number of conservatives. It's the same in every state I suspect. Were we to have a civil war and physical division between liberals and conservatives became compulsory, millions would have to move.

The liberal West Coast, Northeast Corridor and Great Lakes region would be separated by flyover country, so it would be near impossible to have one contiguous Liberal States of America.

Who knows what the future will bring? We could become a patchwork of independent nations big and small. Some of them could be quite wealthy and powerful.

Six states: New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, California, Washington and Delaware, have per capita GDPs that would rank among the Top 10 if independent. In fact, 15 states would rank among the world's Top 20 per capita GDPs if independent.

If all 50 states became independent, China would have the largest GDP, but California would have the fourth largest, Texas the ninth, New York the 11th, Florida the 19th, Illinois the 21st, Pennsylvania the 22nd and Ohio the 26th. Another 10 states would be among the Top 50.

Of course, it's doubtful those states would have such great economies following a civil war. Even an amicable divorce could put a huge damper on the economies of newly independent states. But it's interesting to consider the various confederations, trade blocs and alliances that could result from a dissolution of the United States. It could be better for many states and regions, and hell on Earth for others.

edit on 12-4-2021 by Scapegrace because: a little wordsmithing

edit on 12-4-2021 by Scapegrace because: typo

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

No Amendment is absolute, but it seems that voting now is. I don't see voting in an Amendment though.

Of course, if no Amendment is absolute ... does that mean we can ignore some of the more asinine interpretations of the 14th?

The first 10 Amendments to the Constitution of the United States of America were called the Bill of Rights for a reason.

They laid out the framework for the rights of the individual, protecting them from the powers of the state.

They are sacrosanct... the backbone of the Constitution itself.

If no Amendment is absolute in the eyes of our current leadership, the the Constitution itself is not absolute.

If our current administration swore an oath to defend the Constitution but see it as a non-binding contract...

Then they are not fulfilling their oath.

So there is no longer any reason for the States to be United anymore.

Simple enough.

Time for a Constitutional Convention.

Which is well underway as we speak.

Not sure if you are aware or not but a week or two ago I saw a bunch of videos on my social feeds showing that service men and women had to reaffirm their oath.... only this time they were told to swear to the president and NOT the constitution like they did before.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join