It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In your own words, please tell why MLK Jr was wrong

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Are you claiming Dr. King was illiterate as well? That he wasn't capable of saying what he was thinking?

Was it because he was black?

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My only real issue with MLK was his infidelity. I am of the opinion that anyone who stands up to be an example for others needs to cover the major bases of not being a cad, not being violent, etc.

He may feel that he was not acting as an example...but the reality is when you talk the talk, you have to walk the walk. No one is perfect....but screwing other women is a long way from perfect.

I feel like the message he sent was solid and it was a good one and one we should adopt. If we go through history and judge everyone before we accept their contribution, well, with all the slave owners and racist talk, none of them hole up to scrutiny. If his words aren't something that matters, then his presence isn't either, and should be scrubbed from society.

Either we follow that path, or we don't. But claiming to be virtuous and wonderful, while engaging in 2021 racism, isn't going to fly. Which is why I see the world regressing with regard to race. We now promote, hire, and fire based on skin color alone. If that isn't racist, then I don't understand that word at all.

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I never said throw out the baby with the bathwater. Only that when someone stands up and volunteers to lead, they need to emulate the traits they wish to see from those that follow. I know....its a novel concept.

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Oftentimes, leadership is thrust upon one. I don't think Dr. King chose to lead or even wanted to lead the Civil Rights movement. He simply accepted the role when it was thrust upon him. The curse of charisma.

That's not to excuse his impropriety. I do think it is important to remember both the good and bad in a person's life, because we all have both. Of course, that can be applied to others as well, such as General Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and many others... but then again, they have been judged by society based on one small aspect of who they were, and every attempt has been made to erase them from history. It causes me to wonder, perhaps we should do the same to Dr. King?

Of course, we can always go back to accepting history as history and choosing to focus on the good in people rather than the bad. We could even go so far as to remember the lessons of history and use them to benefit all of society. But of course, that's crazy talk.

[The latter half of this post is intended as applicable to society in general, and not as any slight or insinuation toward the poster relied to. It was too good a segway to pass up.)

TheRedneck

edit on 4/12/2021 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I do agree with that. But with so few people who can fill those shoes, we may be seeing a large deficit of leadership when using those standards. I'm pretty sure you have the integrity required, but you aren't running for office.

so we are left with this.

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   

He was right at the time, because things were certainly not well for black Americans. The problem is, black Americans seemed to forget his profound wish, and instead INSIST that they be judged by what color they are, and not by their actions now.
And you want some real clown level mentality? The mass majority of black people are demanding full scale segregation now as well. Who in the hell thought we'd ever see a time as this?
Certainly not me.
And certainly not Dr. King.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I won't run for office because of that integrity, i think. Or maybe its that I don't want every little thing in my past amplified and presented as if it were raw and current. We have all had moments where we were small. Those moments, when mixed with intro and retrospection, are how you grow and become better. Just last night, my wife was trying to chat with me about something I am wholly not interested in. But it matters to her...and she wanted to bring me into her life a little by sharing that interest with me. I pretty much ignored her so I could watch someone restore a manual bread slicer. I was incredibly small in that moment last night...and going forward, will put down my phone and give her all of my attention. We aren't getting any younger, and I will regret every moment I don't focus on her one day.

Its those little moments, where we are incredibly small, that hurt enough to make us change.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I pretty much ignored her so I could watch someone restore a manual bread slicer.

Talk to my wife about The Hunger Games or watch the bread slicer thing....hmmmmmm.......hmmmmmmmm.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

yeah....i know. But like i said....a day will come where i will regret not hearing her talk, having that memory of her voice. Her face getting excited, or smiling, as she tells that story. I want to drink it all in today, while i can. I don't want regrets.

ETA: you know what it is she wanted to talk about? This married couple that have adopted blind kids, some with severe autism, and the adaptive efforts they have made in understanding these kids, and enriching their lives. She finds joy in that. In those kids having an enriching life, instead of being cast aside. How beautiful is that? How beautiful is she? That she not only enjoys seeing that, but is so overfilled with exuberance and joy that she wants to tell me about it? And how big of an asshole do I have to be to not recognize this in my best friend?
edit on 4/13/2021 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I don't disagree with you, even if it's the Hunger Games, but I may draw the line at Twilight.

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Babylon Bee is the new MLK:

babylonbee.com...

“ 1. Kill all white people. - An easy one. And if you're white, well, you know what to do.

2. Pluck out everyone's eyes. - Can't be racist if you can't see.

3. Bravely walk through a riot and give some police officers a cool, refreshing Pepsi. - Effective and refreshing. This tip brought to you by Pepsi. #sponsored

4. Teach everyone to always focus on race as the most important thing about a person. - The only way to end racism is to make sure you're constantly talking about race and never letting people forget what the color of their skin is for even a second.

5. Have the earth get invaded by flesh-eating aliens so we have a common enemy to unite against. - Bring on the aliens.

6. Segregate people by skin color. - We can't talk honestly about racism if we're all just mixed together like a melting pot. We need to segregate into different rooms, schools, and drinking fountains.

7. Steal some Nikes. - Racism will crumble as you bash the window of the Nike store and leave with some sweet kicks.

8. Start an organization to fight racism and use the proceeds to buy multiple mansions. - Every time you buy a big house, forty million racists drop dead.

9. Have an after-school special about how racism is bad, hosted by a cool TV star like Kirk Cameron. - You could have on trendy bands like Hanson and Kris Kross, and the kids would all give up their racist ways.

10. Whatever you do, don't believe the lie that we're all one blood and race is a social construct meant to divide us. - This is dangerous Christian brainwashing and will only lead to people treating each other the same. And we can't defeat racism that way.”

posted on Apr, 13 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

He was addressing both. I believe he was shifting his focus towards economic inequality before he was assassinated.

posted on Apr, 14 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

No where in that speech did he address anything of the sort.

I've read, and listened, to that speech many, many times over the years, and I've never seen or heard that...ever.

So, was he incapable of stating that for some reason?? Having read his writings, and listened to his speeches, I doubt that very strongly...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join