It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So....where are we as a society???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I find it funny that most can't distinguish truth from fiction solely because of media.

Solely from the media?

I think you need to expand on that more.

I’m assuming you’re alluding to main stream media, in which case, whilst I can understand that, it’s also way off base.

Pretty sure the msm isn’t encouraging people to burn down 5G towers, for example.

But maybe my assumption is wrong here.

Some MSM, but mostly social media. It trains people to only pay attention in very short spurts and to have a strong reaction quickly. This is a great recipe to stifle all critical thinking.

It's still a choice. No one is forced to pay attention to the MSM or Social media. What ever happened to personal responsibility or is it just more convenient to blame something, anything, for what essentially is simply human weakness.

Look, a squirrel....
edit on 7-4-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I find it funny that most can't distinguish truth from fiction solely because of media.

Solely from the media?

I’m assuming you’re alluding to main stream media, in which case, whilst I can understand that, it’s also way off base.

Pretty sure the msm isn’t encouraging people to burn down 5G towers, for example.

Some MSM, but mostly social media. It trains people to only pay attention in very short spurts and to have a strong reaction quickly. This is a great recipe to stifle all critical thinking.

It's still a choice. No one is forced to pay attention to the MSM or Social media. What ever happened to personal responsibility or is it just more convenient to blame something, anything, for what essentially is simply human weakness.

Look, a squirrel....

I don't consider it a human "weakness" as much as a stage of development. Discrimination, right interpretation of experience, comes with awareness + time, both need to be active. As a whole, human consciousness is very immature, as a result wild emotional responses and further error persist.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

originally posted by: olaru12

Solely from the media?

Look, a squirrel....

I don't consider it a human "weakness" as much as a stage of development. Discrimination, right interpretation of experience, comes with awareness + time, both need to be active. As a whole, human consciousness is very immature, as a result wild emotional responses and further error persist.

I see your point and agree with this....

As a whole, human consciousness is very immature, as a result wild emotional responses and further error persist.

In the grand scale of things humans aren't that far along the evolutionary path. Some are, Most aren't!!
edit on 7-4-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Odd that you brought that up, as my family and I were discussing that this weekend.

We decided that on the Tytler cycle, America is between Apathy and Dependence right now.

It was a rather awesome debate that we had (as our family always does when they are fired up) and we ended up agreeing on it.

Raised my daughter's the same way Lumenari, to debate and use reasoned arguments and pursuasian to argue their point respectfully

Its a sign of maturity and intelligence the mob lacks. I chalk it up to bad parenting and a toxic national environment worse than 1860

In 1860, half of America disagreed with the other half.

In 2021, half of America despises the other half and th feelings mutual
edit on 4/7/2021 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I told them to be hyper-logical and if someone isn't smart enough to keep up the aren't worth even debating with

Unintelligent types don't understand logical arguments,the entire concept is foreign to them

But hey, at least they've succeeded in normalizing illicit drug use, and conned an entire generation into thinking using schedule 1 narcotics that have 0 medical uses is somehow "cool"

Yes I'm talking about those dopes who smoke dope it rots the mind
edit on 4/7/2021 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think it comes down to whether we use our tools & tech to complement and supplement "normal" life vs becoming enraptured in the tools themselves.

A hammer can build a great many things, but when everything starts looking like a nail.. Its time to put it down for a while.

With digital and electronic tools, we can exist in an entirely manufactured perception of reality. Eschewing the world and interactions directly around us in favor of emotional click-bait and virtue signalling for dopamine hits.
edit on 7-4-2021 by Serdgiam because: Boop

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Great OP! Thanks

I have read all the comments and agree with most.

I would only add that from my small corner of the US it appears that as a Society, the US is becoming very difuse. I live in a small rural town in the middle of nowhere, but even here, people are moving in in droves, most escaping the big cities and even bringing their kids which they almost universally home school.

There was an OP Ed in yesterday's WSJ wherein the author lamented the dying off of NYC. They have lost over a million people, and more are leaving as quickly as possible. Office buildings are empty, restaurants are closed for good, Apartment builings stand empty as rents plunge.

For the most part, knowledge workers have found they can work remotely and businesses and corporations no longer need the pricey office space. As a result, I don't see these cities recovering anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Solely from the media?

Don’t Go Down the Rabbit Hole according to Ministry of truth...

“We’re taught that, in order to protect ourselves from bad information, we need to deeply engage with the stuff that washes up in front of us,” Mr. Caulfield told me recently. He suggested that the dominant mode of media literacy (if kids get taught any at all) is that “you’ll get imperfect information and then use reasoning to fix that somehow. But in reality, that strategy can completely backfire.”

In 2016, Mr. Caulfield met Mr. Wineburg, who suggested modeling the process after the way professional fact checkers assess information. Mr. Caulfield refined the practice into four simple principles:

1. Stop.

2. Investigate the source.

3. Find better coverage.

4. Trace claims, quotes and media to the original context.

Otherwise known as SIFT.

That article is gonna save me a load of time. LOL!

posted on Apr, 8 2021 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Can't blame them

Those with resources will move. Leaving only unwashed unemployed underachievers to riot,loot, smoke dope all they want (or self destruct)

And I say let themenjoy the fruits of their labor. Maybe the ones still standing will realize they aren't actual adults, they don't have the answers and that every problem doesn't always have a solution (or isn't a problem at all, outside their own drug addled minds)

posted on Apr, 8 2021 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

Great post

No deep engagement or emotional attachment required to vet sources, apply a critical look at their past, hold the to their mistakes (or: any bias or error without correction = fully and always irredeemably discredited)

All sources must be vetted with objective evidence and logical reasoning. Otherwise it's not TRUE until proven true, and never by mere words from a lying human

top topics

<< 1   >>

join