It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on picture ID and what the issue is.....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

People are calling Republicans racist and shady for enacting bills that without a doubt effect black communities more than any other.

How? How does it affect those communities more than any other?

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Bunch

Why is this only an issue when voting is involved?

The same ID issues affect whether a person can buy over the counter cold medicines.
No one gave a crap about people having access to medication?

You need an ID to buy a car, drive a car and rent/buy a house.
No one cared about people having a home or transportation, I guess?

Here is a question that I don't know the answer to.... Do you need ID to get an EBT card?

The requirement to buy cold medicine might be different from those to get an ID to be able to vote. For example, you might be able to buy cold medicine with a student ID or your Medicare card. Those two might not be acceptable documents to vote or to even get an ID to vote.

Can you buy/rent a house using a student ID?

Here is one that isn't a necessity, but there is a point to be made.

Alcohol.
Is it fair for minorities to be hindered from buying alcohol, while white people can buy it without an issue, since they have ID?

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I have "thoughts" about the changes to the verification of absentee ballots, eliminating signature verification completely, and relying on picture ID, and other forms of ID, only.

The problem is, it's pretty easy to get a copy of someone's drivers license. While it's a little harder to forge a signature well enough to avoid a computer's algorithms to detect signature variations.

So, if a potential vote fraudster works at some kind of care facility, lets say, it would be easier to covertly harvest patients' absentee ballots, fill them out for them, and send them in, without the patients even knowing they voted.

edit on 6-4-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Vasa Croe

For Elections I think photo ID is essential , I also think postal voting should be scrapped as it is an avenue to fraud.

The old ways are no longer fit for purpose , time to modernise the system.

The old ways are no longer fit for purpose , time to modernise the system.

Truly modernizing the system the way it should be in the 21st century would probably start a civil war in this country.

link   
The problem is they wouldn't be able to swing elections if they required ID to vote. Both sides, but the Dems are in your face about it.

That's all.

You can throw around any argument you want, but its complete bull#. IDs are required in every aspect of life....

To get a job, to open a bank account, to get an unemployment check. Those are the three basic things you need to survive, yea? I didn't know they were racist.
edit on 6-4-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If requiring ID to vote is a discriminatory and racist policy, then absolutely so is requiring an ID to buy a gun. Also to drive a car and buy alcohol/cigarettes.

I say we end these racist ID requirement for once and all!!!

End Government issued ID's! No ID required for anything! #blm

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: underwerks

People are calling Republicans racist and shady for enacting bills that without a doubt effect black communities more than any other.

How? How does it affect those communities more than any other?

Liberals believe in something called disparate impact.

Basically, disparate impact is when something affects a minority community more statistically but is not necessarily rooted in racism. For example, if you arrest bank robbers but then find out 80% of the arrest are black, there is a disparate impact from arresting bank robbers even though you cannot show that there is any racist intent.

In this case, requiring voter ID is not racist by itself. However, in their minds, poor black people are more likely not to have ID so it creates a disparate impact and is therefore racist.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Well...to vote here, you need two forms of government issue ID, a license is $75 a passport is $20-$110 depending on how long you wait, replacement birth certificates are $30 and proof of residence.

Yet somehow our voter turnout rates are on average 20% higher than America's over the last 30 years or so....

I assure you there's poor people here too...

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: dug88

Explain exactly how those first two are racist and effect black people more than anyone else?

First, I never said that they are racist.

Here is an example of how such a law can affect lower income people. Let’s pass a law that requirements photo ID to vote. In order to obtain a photo ID you must have the following:
1. 3 form of identification documents: social security card, birth certificate, passport
2. Total Fees for ID: $89.00

If you are missing any of the documents on #1 that will cost you time and money on top of the fee you have to pay on #2. On the Jim Crow days that was called a Poll Tax and is the reason why many of these voter ID laws go to die at the SCOTUS.

The GOP here is hoping that with a 6-3 majority they will be able to get a win on these laws but if precedent is sustained these laws would get axed in a quick minute once they reach SCOTUS.

Odd....CO requires a photo ID for all mail in voters (especially first time). I guess they don't have to worry about being racist because there aren't as many blacks in CO? Doesn't this, again, point to the left calling blacks too lazy and stupid to get an ID? Why is it OK there and not other places?

The hypocrisy knows no end!

You are incorrect. Photo ID is ONE of the acceptable forms of identification. They also accept: bill/bank statement, Medicare/Medicaid card, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, Student ID.

The get Real ID in Colorado is $10.50 and the fee is waived for Seniors.

link   

Well...to vote here, you need two forms of government issue ID, a license is $75 a passport is $20-$110 depending on how long you wait, replacement birth certificates are $30 and proof of residence.

Yet somehow our voter turnout rates are on average 20% higher than America's over the last 30 years or so....

Most states in the US offer FREE voter ID cards.

link   
The big challenge is to find a way to verify the I.D. was verified in the first place 😃

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Why is this only an issue when voting is involved?

The same ID issues affect whether a person can buy over the counter cold medicines.
No one gave a crap about people having access to medication?

You need an ID to buy a car, drive a car and rent/buy a house.
No one cared about people having a home or transportation, I guess?

Here is a question that I don't know the answer to.... Do you need ID to get an EBT card?

The requirement to buy cold medicine might be different from those to get an ID to be able to vote. For example, you might be able to buy cold medicine with a student ID or your Medicare card. Those two might not be acceptable documents to vote or to even get an ID to vote.

Can you buy/rent a house using a student ID?

Here is one that isn't a necessity, but there is a point to be made.

Alcohol.
Is it fair for minorities to be hindered from buying alcohol, while white people can buy it without an issue, since they have ID?

You guys keep making all these weird examples as if this hasn’t been litigated for the last 60 years. Their are voter ID laws in place in ALL STATES. The issue isn’t voter ID but what amount of requirements places an undue burden on the citizens that results in a restriction to their voting rights.

This has been litigated for over 60 years at SCOTUS and they have consistently sided with protecting voters rights.
edit on 6-4-2021 by Bunch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: rounda

I was trying to find a source for your statement. Care to provide one? And also what are the requirements to get said “free” ID?

link   
Black Americans overwhelmingly have ID’s, just like most Americans do. I think this is more about allowing illegal immigrants to vote, who can’t get proper ID to vote as American citizens.

link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
So I am seriously wondering how folks can say certain things yet not see how derogatory they are being.

Folks complain you can't hand out water and snacks in a line for voting, essentially saying those they are fighting for are too stupid to bring some themselves.

As far as ID goes, this comes up EVERY SINGLE voting cycle.....makes it hard for minorities, blah blah blah. So essentially they are calling minorities lazy because they can't get an ID....after YEARS of saying this apparently they still can't and are still too lazy. If you are 18 and want to vote but srent responsible enough to get an ID then maybe rethink it.

If you are 22 or older then there is no excuse.....you are too lazy. You had 4 years to get one.

It is mind boggling.

In the state of Georgia, the law requires each polling station to have self serve water available for voters. No one is being kept from having water, and no one is expected to have a smidgen of foresight to bring their own. Its right there...walk over and serve yourself a glass. This lie is typical of the political arena. And its not like the left has a monopoly on lying to you.

The thing with ID's is this: if you do not have an ID, you are not able to legally work in the US as you are missing a key I9 document. If you have the other I9 documents, then you can easily get an ID. To give people a pass for not being able to get an ID is to say that we are paying for everything in their life, and volunteer to not have that change. And while there are some who may not be able to work due to disability, etc....to not require them to have an ID is only asking for our social services to be defrauded by people who know we don't care about verifying who people are.

There is nothing about the argument that makes sense, other than the true statement of "It may be harder for poorer people to get a Real ID". Its may be harder, but its not prohibitively so. The $20 to pay for it is likely the biggest obstacle. And if that is the case, set up a social program in Georgia to account for it.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The only people buying into this crap are doing so out of laziness, a need to cheat, or they really are disgustingly racist and push an agenda to keep black people down.

My 12 year old black cousin spent the last four months living with me. I never brought this stuff up with him but he sees right through this crap and often vents his frustrations. He just naturally gets it. At 12 years old. I can't stress the 12 years old part enough here.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Sadly it seems your whole political system is no longer fit for purpose , more than just tinkering with the election process is needed there.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Correct....and what do each of those require? Verification, typically photo ID/SSN/background check, etc.....

Now....which is harder to get? Here in GA, it took about 25 min to get my ID. Much easier than carrying around my birth cert when I want a beer and easier to replace than my passport or my SS card.

The argument is idiotic at best. It is not hard for anyone to get an ID, especially with years to do so....no excuse really. I can't think of a single one that would prevent being able to acquire a ID for even a single year.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: rounda

I was trying to find a source for your statement. Care to provide one? And also what are the requirements to get said “free” ID?

No excuse in GA except lazy...we have FREE ID cards here.....

dds.georgia.gov...

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   

That doesn’t tell me much other than your country is very big on voting something that’s is not the case in the US. The reality is as Georgia elections shows that in the US if you make it easier to vote people will vote. If you want people to be engaged in the voting process would you like to make it easier or more difficult?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join