It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddworld: Lorne Lanning Interview

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is a brilliant interview with creator and director of the Oddworld video games, Lorne Lanning. He is often considered the first "Indie"
game developer, and his work is hallmarked by a striking and unique art style. Not surprising, as Lanning is well-seasoned in painting and visual effects.

It really dives into his methods and vision as a visual effects artist and storyteller. Not only that, he is one of the most entertaining people I can think of in recent memory: he is full of insight, commentary, and captivating stories that he weaves throughout the details of his career. He speaks as a master of his craft, and as a veteran of the industry. But mostly, he speaks as a human being trying to make sense of the conflicted world around him.

Don't let the length of the interview intimidate you. It is surprisingly engaging from start to finish--and it is inspiring to hear how his perseverance through hardships and obstacles have become a success story for him.

His games in the 90's were always special to me. They felt so alive and mesmerizing with its art and relatable themes (consumerism, environmentalism, subjugation etc.) Truth be told, these games gave me nightmares for years!

More than 20 years ago Lanning made his big splash, and now he's finding himself back on top again. I should mention his newest Oddworld game releases in only a few hours!

I'd bet my bottom dollar that any gamer, developer, artist, or humanist will get a kick out of this interview. Enjoy!

edit on 6-4-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm going to save this for later. I love the Oddworld series, and Lorne is a pretty interesting dude.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I will watch this when I get home.
While I only actually played a few games, by the time my kids got into them, this was one game that I actually liked to watch the hubby and sons play.

It was just so "different"

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

The interview is about so much more than the games. There's a lot to get out of it especially if you enjoy random documentaries or biographies.

But yes it's about his games too. It is very much worth the watch or I wouldn't have posted a 3 hour vid lul.

edit on 6-4-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Oddworld Soulstorm is one of the free PS+ games this month for the PS5. Haven't played any others except the original. Just downloaded it, I'll jump in over the weekend

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

Let me know what you think. I haven't had time to check it out yet.

top topics

join