It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Mac crashed, unable to fully boot up. I need my data from it...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benderisfunny
If it will not boot, you can try pushing power, then holding command+r until the apple loading screen. Then try reinstalling Mac OS if you can.

Thank you and I know MacOS can be reinstalled without deleting saved data, oftentimes.

But it’s also always scary because usually I think of installing an OS as wiping everything first, so I just need to make sure I can keep my saved files, then it would be probably easy to reinstall MacOS. As long as I make sure it absolutely won’t wipe everything.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benderisfunny
If it will not boot, you can try pushing power, then holding command+r until the apple loading screen. Then try reinstalling Mac OS if you can.

Actually, just to make sure I understand you, crystal clear:

Are you describing reinstalling MacOS while keeping all my saved data?

Or are you describing reinstalling it, while wiping all my data?

Because it should be easy to reinstall MacOS, as I saw the option to do that, in Disk Utility, iirc.

So yeah I’d reinstall MacOS IF I was 100% sure that it would keep all my data.

However the Support was also telling me that my internal hdd MUST be wiped, though I no longer believe in their input.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: JamesChessman

Have you done the reset?

With the computer off, get your keyboard in front of you.

Hit the power button, while it dings and boots, hit [Command]-[Control]-R-S (command is the open flower thing). Hold the keys until it beeps again and release.

That is the nvram reset. This area holds where your boot drive is and what sector to read first, (other geeky stuff), and the date and time. If you boot up to 1962 (1800?? 1972???? I forget the rest value), it means that the battery that powers this Major part of the boot process is dead.

If you boot to a folder with a “?”, same thing. Take to a trusted Mac repair shop and fork out the 50 bucks (or minimum labor + 3$ for a battery).

Leave your Mac plugged into power!

If that ain’t it, you will need a recovery disk (don’t ask! It all depends on your system and OS, and computer savvy).

Good luck!

I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking at but I’m getting a screen that is basically a command screen (I’m not sure what exactly to call it).

So there are some messages of different processes happening for about a minute until it concludes with several statements about:

disk1: I/O error.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

edit on 6-4-2021 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I did give you a bit of hope.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Disk I/O error means input/output error.

Access the terminal from recovery mode

osxdaily.com...

Run disk repair from the terminal

computers.tutsplus.com...

Otherwise, you can run disk utility from a separate installation media (CD, USB) if you have one.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Sorry! Tuesday and Wednesday are my busy days and with nobody in, I become the delivery taker, door man, janitor, switchboard operator (why can’t people look at Outlook for a ph# ??!!), and best friend of management (for some reason). All while trying to do my regular duties. I left a half hour late!

Anyway, I/O errors, is usually a disk issue (could be video but you have crashed to the terminal, which sounds like a partial boot).

Try rounda’s solution/post. Usually, UNIX command line scares the heck out of most people! That was my comment on being “computer savvy”.

For most mortals, seeing and describing the problem is as far as it goes (which is OK. At times like this I reach for my UNIX on Mac book too!).

If you still cannot boot, then I am afraid that a visit is in order.

Either way, let us know what happens!!

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I did give you a bit of hope.

Thanks haha, yes this thread and all responses did get me feeling better.

But also I didn’t start out thinking that it was a serious problem.

As mentioned, my Mac is named Macayla and she always has run quite well, overall.

And she needs to get her beauty sleep occasionally, because if not, she does get tired and sluggish, until I let her have some nice full shut-downs and restarts.

And plus I run programs occasionally to clean everything.

So initially I just expected things like that, plus it seemed obvious that I had probably got some malware, before Mexico.

As benign as such digital photos seem, it also just seemed like an obvious situation, including that it was a ton of different websites that I glanced at...

Oh and I did force some manual shutdowns when she was showing terrible slowness. So I can’t help feeling that I broke the boot-up process.

HOWEVER none of this would suggest a huge problem, nor broken hardware ... and the mentioned factors seemed clear as the likely reasons, behind it...

So basically I just started out thinking it was nothing, and that I’d quickly get her back to normal.

But after Mexico, I was sick and disoriented out of my mind, and my apartment felt too quiet and limited, and then I was wasting many MANY hours, screwing around with Apple Support.

So all that mess DID affect me too much by the end, and I was resigned to drop tons of money on it... but thankfully I snapped out of it lol.

I could calm down and see that it was really Support that was making me crazy and miserable for a few days there, along with my nausea etc.

Plus their various input was so inconsistent that it forced me to doubt them altogether.

So once I decided to disregard their non-helpful input, I calmed down to actually just approach it as something to calmly figure out.

Macayla still can rock recovery mode and Utilities and whatever else, so there’s a lot that I can explore here.

So yeah my main problem was actually Apple Support making me crazy lol.

I think it was deliberate, to push me into the store, by wasting my hours, to give me exhaustion/ desperation...

Plus I think they understood that my saved content is the most important thing to me, emotionally, and so I think they were trying to manipulate my emotions by saying repeatedly that I needed to wipe the hdd OR bring it in.

As for Macayla herself, despite the broken boot-up process, I can see that she did seem to regain her normal speed, and the different modes work fine, so she seems fine besides the broken boot-up.

So thank you to everyone, your posts are more helpful than many hours and days of Apple Support.

And so I’m getting back to my own natural positive mindset on the situation.

Tbc

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Sorry! Tuesday and Wednesday are my busy days and with nobody in, I become the delivery taker, door man, janitor, switchboard operator (why can’t people look at Outlook for a ph# ??!!), and best friend of management (for some reason). All while trying to do my regular duties. I left a half hour late!

Anyway, I/O errors, is usually a disk issue (could be video but you have crashed to the terminal, which sounds like a partial boot).

Try rounda’s solution/post. Usually, UNIX command line scares the heck out of most people! That was my comment on being “computer savvy”.

For most mortals, seeing and describing the problem is as far as it goes (which is OK. At times like this I reach for my UNIX on Mac book too!).

If you still cannot boot, then I am afraid that a visit is in order.

Either way, let us know what happens!!

Thanks and I’ll post after trying that, but also I wanted to post a pic to ask again if anyone knows for sure whether I can simply use macOS Utilities, to choose to “Reinstall MacOS.”

Under, it says: “Reinstall a new copy of macOS.”

And a pic to see if it helps anyone remember:

And I mean: Can I choose this and reinstall it, while also keeping my current saved content?

And I actually do think that it probably does that.

But the program itself doesn’t really specify if it will keep saved data, or wipe everything.

So that’s why I’m asking if anyone knows FOR SURE whether this would reinstall and keep my stuff, or erase it?

[If I recall correctly: In the past: I probably used exactly this reinstall option, under macOS Utilities... a few years ago... when Macayla was having problems, but I didn’t mention it, because it was very clear what exactly was wrong, and it was my fault, not her fault, lol. And no hardware component.

The actual problem, back then, was that I had recently extracted all the data from my external HDD, into Macayla.

I’m not sure the exact amount but the hdd was total 500 gigs, and I had filled part of that. This was my total personal saved data, over the years, so everything from my music library, to old photos of friends and pets etc., written documents, and even some sizable, but useless files, left over from a past phase of being excited about burning my own copy of pretty much any DVD’s I came across, like I burned Star Wars DVD’s from my roommates, etc.

And plus the data extraction process ALSO created a lot of new junk files too, additional to the recovered files... so it filled a lot of Macayla’s storage.

And then I started creating my own videos (YouTube) which of course, eats up a ton of storage space, very fast. Especially vids of gameplay footage.

So back then, that’s why it was my fault, and not Macayla’s fault. I had overly filled her storage space almost to the end.

If you were curious what happens, the iMac won’t let you completely fill its HDD, and instead, it will start to refuse to turn on.

So at the time, I had Apple Support walk me through things, and I did reinstall macOS while keeping everything (and then iirc, I only needed to just quickly clear out her storage data).

So I felt I had to explain that because I think I did this same exact reinstall option, before, while keeping everything (but I want someone to confirm this, and also, please confirm that I should do this... or not?)

And explained that past event because it’s totally unrelated to today’s issues, as I’ve kept her storage reasonably clear, ever since.

So it was probably this same exact way to reinstall but I gotta see if anyone knows for sure that it keeps files.

And if so, then should I do this, or is there any reason not to?

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 01:29 AM
link   

This will wipe your data.
It’s a fresh install, onto a failing drive.
Get a new drive if you can, and pit your old one into a external drive case. Probably 100.00 cost for both. If you don’t go the ssd route.

Since your failing drive attempts to boot, the odds are high you can recover whatever you need, once you connect it as an external.

edit on 7-4-2021 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt

Get a new drive if you can, and pit your old one into a external drive case. Probably 100.00 cost for both. If you don’t go the ssd route.

Since your failing drive attempts to boot, the odds are high you can recover whatever you need, once you connect it as an external.

Dude you know what, that sounds awesome... I think?

I already could have used a new external hdd for a long time.

So if I can turn Macayla’s internal hdd into a new external hdd, then this sounds great!

So who would be best to do this for me: an Apple place, or something else?

Also, just some novice questions: How exactly does he find & fix whatever problems are currently afflicting Macayla... so that it’s not carried over to the new forms? (Or is that a non-issue, like is it all just automatically completely separated, from my saved data?)

And would the new external hdd... just have all my saved content, only? (Like a normal classic external hdd, right? So only saved stuff, and obviously none of Macayla’s various programs, etc.)

Sorry for such questions lol but I didn’t really know about this idea before, and it sounds sweet, I think.

If you can recommend WHO should do that for me, then I’d probably go for that, quite soon.

edit on 7-4-2021 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: rounda

osxdaily.com...

Otherwise, you can run disk utility from a separate installation media (CD, USB) if you have one.

Thank you but unfortunately I only really got as far as opening the Terminal in Recovery Mode.

Following your link, the very first command doesn’t work for me:

But if you know about anything else to try in the Terminal or elsewhere, then I’ll try it.

Also are you guys concluding that I have a hardware problem somewhere? Or does this seem like just the software is messed up?

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Well unfortunately the disk repair in the terminal didn’t work, so if this was important then I’d be willing to try a usb of disk utility... if it’s something important?

I appreciate everyone because there are so many possible things that can be tried and I wouldn’t know where to begin with any of this.

But I’m happy to try whatever you guys think is worthwhile.

edit on 7-4-2021 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JamesChessman

So if I can turn Macayla’s internal hdd into a new external hdd, then this sounds great!

Also, just some novice questions: How exactly does he find & fix whatever problems are currently afflicting Macayla... so that it’s not carried over to the new forms? (Or is that a non-issue, like is it all just automatically completely separated, from my saved data?)

And would the new external hdd... just have all my saved content, only? (Like a normal classic external hdd, right? So only saved stuff, and obviously none of Macayla’s various programs, etc.)

Sorry for such questions lol but I didn’t really know about this idea before, and it sounds sweet, I think.

If you can recommend WHO should do that for me, then I’d probably go for that, quite soon.

If you have any comfort level opening the case and removing the old drive, you can do this yourself.

Internet and a screwdriver, and you will succeed.
I bought my hard drive case and sata drives at Best Buy.

I’ve done this dozens of times. Through my work and my own macs.

I’m on my phone right now and it’s late. So I can’t type much.
First thing is learn how to do an install over internet.
Looks like earlier you posted a pic of that screen.
Later, you’ll need to do this, just not now.

You’ll need a new drive to go in the newly vacated slot, so price those , see if you can find a deal.

I can look around tomorrow if you need help with that.

I’ll even walk you through the process if you have the patience. I’ll bet others would help too.

I’ll check in tomorrow with you.

What is the model and year again?

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   

If you have any comfort level opening the case and removing the old drive, you can do this yourself.

Internet and a screwdriver, and you will succeed.
I bought my hard drive case and sata drives at Best Buy.

I’ve done this dozens of times. Through my work and my own macs.

I’m on my phone right now and it’s late. So I can’t type much.
First thing is learn how to do an install over internet.
Looks like earlier you posted a pic of that screen.
Later, you’ll need to do this, just not now.

You’ll need a new drive to go in the newly vacated slot, so price those , see if you can find a deal.

I can look around tomorrow if you need help with that.

I’ll even walk you through the process if you have the patience. I’ll bet others would help too.

I’ll check in tomorrow with you.

What is the model and year again?

Hey thanks, your offer sounds awesome and I’m 100% down, if you really feel inclined to do that.

This is a quick post for now.

My iMac model: I can post more specific info soon, but it can be pinpointed with my descriptions that I’ve already mentioned:

Macayla is the iMac from 2017... and there were only 4 iMac versions of 2017.

And Macayla is simply the most basic, and least expensive, of these 4 iMac versions.

So I don’t know if it might sound vague but it’s really not, because there is literally only ONE iMac of my specific details.

However I can also post more specific model number later, or whatever you’d like to know.

But just to try to be as clear as possible, at the moment:

If you’re wondering about my os:

I’m still rocking macOS High Sierra, which came with Macayla.

I’m not sure what else you’d like to know, but just ask.

(And if you’re curious, about differences of 2017’s four models of iMac: There was essentially NO differences anyway, among them, and I was reading about this, at the time).

The one main difference is that Macayla was the ONLY one model (of the 4) which lacks the newer type of screen tech, which the others share, the same new screen type.

Otherwise the only differences (of the 4) were basically a very small, incremental increase in the overall specs of each version. So it’s a small ladder of slightly increased specs like the amount of RAM, and the exact amount of available storage on the internal hdd, etc.

And so I hope my descriptions are making sense lol. Because basically I’m saying that all 4 iMacs of 2017, are basically all equal in their abilities... and in real life, the only really tangible difference is that each one should be expected to run a slightly different speed.

However, Macayla is a wonderful iMac who can do everything that any iMac from 2017, can do.

Alright so I hope my descriptions are making sense, and I hope it helps the whole process.

Let me know if you want any other specs, for example, Macayla’s internal hdd is exactly 1 TB.

This is probably too much info lol but Macayla’s RAM is 8 gigs.

(ALSO in case anyone is reading this thread, and if you’re not familiar with what exactly we’re discussing:

“iMac” is Apple’s line of beautiful, powerful DESKTOPS. I don’t think most people even know that this exists! But it’s exactly what I just said, it’s Apple’s small, overlooked line of beautiful DESKTOPS.

iMac is NOT comparable to any of Apple’s other products that they are most famous for, and iMac is basically the overall BEST product, which is more powerful and more capable than all their other products... imo.)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Also this probably goes without saying but just in case this helps clarify the physical situation for anyone:

Macayla has no disc drive, etc.

And so she is quite simply ONLY a monitor with a stand, with all her guts inside (the screen).

And so her only interaction possible, is inserted into her holes, in her backside. I mean her USB ports, and whatever other holes.

I’ve only used her “normal” hole myself (her USB port) but she does have more options, if someone really wanted to get into that.

So that’s what we’re dealing with, and beyond that, she obviously rocks wireless keyboard & mouse, with more potential wireless connections and interactions available like Airdrop and Bluetooth etc.

Well that’s probably way too much describing but at least the situation should be clear for anyone who’s interested.

I’ll sign out and wait to hear back from you.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   

a reply to: spacedoubt

Also this probably goes without saying but just in case this helps clarify the physical situation for anyone:

Macayla has no disc drive, etc.

And so she is quite simply ONLY a monitor with a stand, with all her guts inside (the screen).

And so her only interaction possible, is inserted into her holes, in her backside. I mean her USB ports, and whatever other holes.

I’ve only used her “normal” hole myself (her USB port) but she does have more options, if someone really wanted to get into that.

So that’s what we’re dealing with, and beyond that, she obviously rocks wireless keyboard & mouse, with more potential wireless connections and interactions available like Airdrop and Bluetooth etc.

Well that’s probably way too much describing but at least the situation should be clear for anyone who’s interested.

I’ll sign out and wait to hear back from you.

The disk is in the monitor case. It’s a one piece desktop machine. I think those are the same 2.5 inch disks as a laptop.

Search YouTube for “ replace drive in 2017 iMac”
You’ll see what I mean.

However, if you’re not comfortable I recommend getting the physical drive swapped, at a repair place. The rest is mostly keystroke that you can handle

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: rounda

osxdaily.com...

Thank you but unfortunately I only really got as far as opening the Terminal in Recovery Mode.

Following your link, the very first command doesn’t work for me:

But if you know about anything else to try in the Terminal or elsewhere, then I’ll try it.

Also are you guys concluding that I have a hardware problem somewhere? Or does this seem like just the software is messed up?

There needs to be a space between cd and /Volumes

cd is a command, change directory

/Volumes is a directory at the root level.

/ is root directory, all directories are stored here.

You'll do something like:

cd /Volumes

ls (lowercase LS), lists contents of folder

I think Mac drives are labeled disk1s or something similar

cd /disk1s (or whatever the disk is)

You probably don't have an installation USB, you kind of have to make it yourself from inside OSX.

A disk I/O error means the motherboard is not communicating properly with the hard disk. It could have corrupt sectors, it could have permission errors...

If disk utility first aid didn't work, it sounds like the drive is failing.

If a disk repair from the terminal doesn't work, chances are you'll have to replace the hard drive anyway, so you'll want to buy a new drive.

I recommend an SSD.

Also, get an external drive enclosure or a PCI to USB adapter. You can buy them on Amazon or the guy in the computer section of Best Buy should be able to find you one.

Then you'll unscrew the back plate of the iMac, unplug the hard drive, and plug in the new one. You may have to unscrew the bracket and screw it into the new hard drive, but its pretty simple.

Then you start up the computer into network recovery mode and you can install OSX on the new hard drive.

Then you plug in the old drive using the enclosure or adapter and copy the files over.

Its easy, just time consuming. There are plenty of YouTube videos that can walk you through the process step by step.

Also, since you're going to have the machine open anyway, you might want to upgrade the memory from 8gb to 16gb, but its not entirely necessary.
edit on 7-4-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rounda

Thanks for the details!

I can try messing around with the Terminal again.

Although I do think I tried the variation that you said, but I’ll double check.

(In my photo I only showed the one attempt, but I did mess around with the details a bit. And I’ll try the things u said.)

Also thanks for the details of the situation with hard drives and SSD, etc.

The steps DO sound simple and easy.

But on the other hand, it would take me a while longer to figure out everything, I’d expect, as an absolute first time experience...

So to consider the likely extra time cost (for myself to grope my way through it) then it MIGHT be worth just bringing in, for that harddrive swap situation (if it would be a lot faster...)

So I’m basically fine with either option, I think.

But my MAIN interest is actually fixing the whole situation, so I can have Macayla back in my life, relatively soon!

So that’s the end result I need, and I’m less interested in whether I do it, or some Geek Squad guy etc.

Actually I might call Best Buy and ask their input too.

And so if people want to post directions then that’s fine.

However if you guys didn’t really mean that u wanted to get involved in the details, and if it seems that it would be a lot faster to just bring in, then I’d just do that...

Well I’ll see how things go,,,

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 06:30 PM
link   

a reply to: rounda

Thanks for the details!

I can try messing around with the Terminal again.

Although I do think I tried the variation that you said, but I’ll double check.

(In my photo I only showed the one attempt, but I did mess around with the details a bit. And I’ll try the things u said.)

Also thanks for the details of the situation with hard drives and SSD, etc.

The steps DO sound simple and easy.

But on the other hand, it would take me a while longer to figure out everything, I’d expect, as an absolute first time experience...

So to consider the likely extra time cost (for myself to grope my way through it) then it MIGHT be worth just bringing in, for that harddrive swap situation (if it would be a lot faster...)

So I’m basically fine with either option, I think.

But my MAIN interest is actually fixing the whole situation, so I can have Macayla back in my life, relatively soon!

So that’s the end result I need, and I’m less interested in whether I do it, or some Geek Squad guy etc.

Actually I might call Best Buy and ask their input too.

And so if people want to post directions then that’s fine.

However if you guys didn’t really mean that u wanted to get involved in the details, and if it seems that it would be a lot faster to just bring in, then I’d just do that...

Well I’ll see how things go,,,

You're better off with a Mac Authorized Repair place, rathrr than the Apple Store or Best Buy, to be honest. The Genius Bar and the Geek Squad charge a premium.

Support local business, you'll get a better deal. You can check Craigslist or call around to computer repair shops. If its the thicker iMac with the screws, even a non-authorized Mac repair shop can do it without issue. If its the super-thin iMac, you definitely want an authorized repair shop.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join