It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Mac crashed, unable to fully boot up. I need my data from it...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is just a shot in the dark, if anyone has been through this?

I never did anything crazy with the web or anything like that (in order to catch terrible malware etc.).

The MOST dangerous usage that it’s seen, was limited to the possible rare glance at some adult models online photo galleries... But even then, I didn’t consider such photos as dangerous, considering all the genuine craziness that people actually do with the internet lol.

So it’s hard to believe that there’s something terrible infecting it, however, it won’t finish booting up, and it turns off completely, instead of finishing the boot-up.

So that process is broken, somehow.

I figured it was just something small but without booting up, I can’t do much, whereas if I could start up, then I have several programs to clean everything, occasionally.

So I still think it’s probably something small that appears huge.

Apple support via phone texts, has been appreciated, but not awesome.

Also first aid won’t run, in Disk Utility, so yes there is something wrong, but I still think it’s small and just happens to destroy these important programs start-up, or something like that.

Also I did regrettably force a few hard shutdowns when the Mac was getting stuck in very slowly booting.

So that’s a possibility that I damaged the programs myself, but I don’t know what to think. I didn’t think this was very dangerous either.

Anyway my MAIN concern is that I need to recover my saved data on the Mac which was not backed up (because I was trusting the Mac to keep working well).

So that’s the main concern actually.

I’m bringing it to the Apple repair shop tomorrow and see if they can form a plan for doing that (recovery and saving my data elsewhere like an external hdd or something).

So I’m really curious if anyone has gone through this before: recovering important data from a crashed Mac that they want to erase everything and reinstall the os.

Well thanks if anyone replies lol.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Have you tried booting it up in safe mode?

Do you have another mac you can connect to and boot up from?

Not knowing the model and the version of OS may affect which procedures work best.

When I get stuck try youtube videos

Mac OSX won't boot how to save data

I've always had good luck there
edit on 5-4-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JamesChessman

If you haven't encrypted the file system, you should be able to read the files off by using a Linux 'live' boot disk or flash drive.

If you have encrypted the drive, then you may be able to get an 'official' Apple repairer to recover things, especially if you have used iCloud to store the key/s.

I'm more of a Wintel guy, so that's all I can offer without knowing 'exactly' why your system won't start.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Clean your computer's cache. I let mine go for two years, forgot to clean it. My computer slowed to a backwards crawl. Cleaned the cache and wow! everything came back to normal.

You should check in to investing in a solid state drive (SSD). I have an old laptop that had a 640 GB 5400 rpm HD and I replaced it with a 1TB Samsung SSD. Sure did make a difference. Before, the laptop would take four to five minutes to boot and then more times than not it had the blue screen of death. Now, 20 seconds, tops...

Its easy, too. All you need is the proper migration software and a SATA cable and you're set.
edit on 4/5/2021 by NightFlight because: my dyslexia hit again...

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Don’t expect much from the apple repair shop.
I’ve heard horror stories about their hardware repairs.
Unfortunately Mac is no longer worth the extra cost for their hardware.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Have you done the reset?

With the computer off, get your keyboard in front of you.

Hit the power button, while it dings and boots, hit [Command]-[Control]-R-S (command is the open flower thing). Hold the keys until it beeps again and release.

That is the nvram reset. This area holds where your boot drive is and what sector to read first, (other geeky stuff), and the date and time. If you boot up to 1962 (1800?? 1972???? I forget the rest value), it means that the battery that powers this Major part of the boot process is dead.

If you boot to a folder with a “?”, same thing. Take to a trusted Mac repair shop and fork out the 50 bucks (or minimum labor + 3$ for a battery).

Leave your Mac plugged into power!

If that ain’t it, you will need a recovery disk (don’t ask! It all depends on your system and OS, and computer savvy).

Good luck!
edit on 5-4-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Stoopid html

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Thanks! I didn’t expect responses lol.

Safe mode didn’t work from holding Shift.

And I’ve spent time with Apple support but it’s not been helpful yet or even very consistent among different support people on different days.

So that’s weird and disappointing but today it’s been basically decided that I must bring it to a repair shop. Since I think we reached an understanding that my saved content is really what I care about in this situation.

So they might try the Mac to Mac idea, at the shop, maybe.

But they also didn’t really reassure me about it. Nobody wants to promise something from someone else of course, but I don’t have any sense of how common this situation is, or how it usually works out?

Because I know that I’m not the only person who just trusted the Mac itself for some data storage. Out of overly trusting it to keep performing really well.

And because it’s so much built-in storage that it’s just automatic that a certain amount of people will just trust it for some of their data storage.

For example. mine has a full terabyte of built-in storage, and it was the biggest hard drive I’d ever had, just built into my Mac.

For specifics, I have the 2017 iMac (the most basic of the four models of that year).

And I’m still running MacOS High Sierra.

It was always running fine. It never gave me a reason to worry about it just randomly crashing and dying for no apparent reason.

Anyway thanks and I’ll check out the YT channel u mentioned.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thanks, well I definitely did not encrypt anything.

So yeah I consider such data as very possible to recover, in general...

I mean, I don’t watch crime drama tv shows but I think it’s a common theme lol to recover old broken computers or phones or usb etc.

Plus it happens in real life law enforcement too.

And once I did happily recover data that had been lost from my external hard drive, when plugged into a very glitchy win 10 pc that was always glitching out...

So I’ll have to look back at the program that I eventually found success with.

However, it was a different situation.

But ironically that saved data was actually recovered from the hdd and saved on my Mac.

And plus there was tons of garbage files that also resulted from that process, and they’re still on my Mac too, so the amount of data is just massive, including those tons of junk files that would be recovered as the same junk files lol.

Also I don’t know if it’s needed to bring it in, actually. Because maybe I should just figure out how to do that massive data recovery all by myself.

Hmm

On the other hand, is the small chance that the store would fix things up easily and quickly... so I think it’s probably worth trying, I guess?

I haven’t really made sense of this situation yet.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 09:02 PM
link   
You might have to search through more than one, I've used Macs since the 80's, it isn't often they leave you in a lurch.

But when they do it sucks. just keep searching might have to zap the PRAM.

"search Mac won't boot save data" if one doesn't give you what you need try another.

might want to try here as well.

recoverit.wondershare.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If it will not boot, you can try pushing power, then holding command+r until the apple loading screen. Then try reinstalling Mac OS if you can.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I’ve more than once recovered my data from a funky drive by removing the drive and putting it in an external drive case. Then putting in a new drive and doing an online install to that new one.
Then connect your old ( now external) drive.
So far I’ve been lucky that the external drive would mount.
Then I moved the data to my new internal drive.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

Clean your computer's cache. I let mine go for two years, forgot to clean it. My computer slowed to a backwards crawl. Cleaned the cache and wow! everything came back to normal.

You should check in to investing in a solid state drive (SSD). I have an old laptop that had a 640 GB 5400 rpm HD and I replaced it with a 1TB Samsung SSD. Sure did make a difference. Before, the laptop would take four to five minutes to boot and then more times than not it had the blue screen of death. Now, 20 seconds, tops...

Its easy, too. All you need is the proper migration software and a SATA cable and you're set.

Thanks my friend but actually I don’t think this really translates to my situation, but thanks for the positivity.

But just to respond to your points, my Mac was really not having problems or slowness, in general.

And I didn’t have any signs of problems happening in any sense, overall.

So I think you’re describing that your whole computer was slowing down... but mine is not that kind of situation. My iMac has been working just fine overall.

That said, I never really focused on any computer’s cache so I’m not sure exactly what you’re describing. What exactly is the cache storing / doing, in general... and why would that have been slowing down your computer?! I mean, I’m glad that it got better for your situation, but I also don’t really know what exactly you’re describing. It sounds like a terrible situation that should not happen, like something is wrong in the way it was built badly, somehow... I think?

But also I legit don’t understand the situation u described...

For SSD’s: Thanks, I will glance at that. I have been curious just to learn about that, at some point, since I know they’ve become popular in recent years.

But re: lap-tops: Personally I don’t like them lol, of any kind.

The form factor is never comfortable to me, and laptops are generally weaker than a full size computer. So I just don’t like them, and I think they are bound to get weird problems happen, eventually.... As per their general build and general theme as smaller, reduced computers (compared to desktops).

So to me, that means that they’re automatically sub-par in general.

However, it’s just my outlook, and clearly most people seem to prefer laptops or other smaller devices like pads or hell even the iPhone itself is basically a smaller iPad.

So clearly most people don’t agree with my own tastes on this.

By the way, what I’m using is the 2017 iMac which is Apple’s line of desktops. Which I think is their actual BEST line of products imo.

Yet I bet most people might not even know that Apple makes great desktops that are better than everything else.

So I’m really quite a fan of the iMac.

I also have a couple windows desktops. I do love the old beige metal slab tower, laying down on the desk, with a crt monitor on top. That’s my beautiful, cold, beige metal Windows PC from 1999, iirc.

So I only love beautiful full size desktops, including the iMac but honest nothing can be as beautiful as my cold metal Compaq Deskpro that I just described.

edit on 5-4-2021 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Looks like you already tried to repair the disk. You can also try clearing the PRAM and NVRAM. Thats really the extent of what you can do for troubleshooting a Mac. The price you pay for the walled garden.
www.lifewire.com...

There are a couple methods for retrieving data.

1. Get a PCI to USB hard drive adapter, remove the hard drive, plug it into another computer with the adapter, copy everything over. A second Mac is ideal, a Linux system is doable, and you'll need software to read the apple file system on Windows.

2. Buy a new hard drive, take the old one out, put the new one in, install OSX over the network, use the PCI to USB adapter to plug in the old drive, copy everything over.

3. You create a live Linux USB stick, boot from that, plug in an external hard drive, copy everything over.

Do yourself a favor, just get a windows PC and install Linux on it.
edit on 5-4-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Also when I made this thread, I just wasted some hours messing around with Apple support via texts on my phone, which I just learned of, and I thought it’s a cool way to provide free service for Apple products.

However I have wasted several hours on several days already.

And so I made the thread feeling just a bit shocked at this whole situation...

Also I just came home from a very nice vacation in Mexico...

But I got sick while coming home, and I’m ok but I’m just feeling nauseous a lot, and I’m very disoriented, altogether.

So I wanted to keep up the positive mindset from vacation.

But with my Mac down for the count, everything at home is strangely empty and limited, as I always had my Mac playing the sound of rain and music and of course internet usage...

So everything is weird and quiet, while I’m repeatedly nauseous and I can’t decide how I feel, most of the time...

So that’s the context, I came home sick and my apartment is too quiet and limited...

So in that context, I did get kinda affected by everything, too much.

But since I started this thread, I calmed down and I thought twice about everything.

And I realized that all the wasted hours on this, was wearing on me.

Not only is it tons of wasted time itself. While already sick and physically uncomfortable most of the time.

But I quickly came to some new conclusions about this mess.

First of all: it was the exhaustion of all the wasted hours with Apple support, that seemed to culminate in the support guys pushing me into the Apple store...

And at first, I think all the exhaustion had me resigned to do that.

So it’s automatically a huge money pit, as far as I know... Because I expect the store service to charge a healthy fee for their time alone, I imagine.

Then of course any new parts would be expensive...

And whatever that Mac to Mac recovery method is: I imagine that the store would charge steeply, for that, and overhype it as something amazing lol. That’s how I imagine it.

Plus it’s a massive amount of data so I’d expect that they’d somehow turn that as extremely expensive.

And then there’s still the steep cost of whatever new external hdd or SSD maybe, it would need to be a terabyte so that’s going to cost something...

So these guys had me feeling gloomy and resigned to wasting several hundred dollars on this situation...

So that’s the mindset that I made the thread.

The support guys even made me an appointment there tomorrow.

So I felt rushed into that, including losing a lot of $$ on this.

And also the notion of losing everything can be quite a sad idea... for example I have digital photos of many years ago friends and even deceased pets photos.

So this is important to me and it’s overly easy to get emotional about such things as old photos.

But the GOOD NEWS is that I snapped out of it. And I have new conclusions about this service.

—First of all, I don’t want to feel pushed into the damn store like this, where I know it’s going to cost me, steeply.

I actually am surprised how this turned out this way.

But they really got me feeling that it’s the only way, and they even made my appointment for me at noon, tomorrow (after texting with Support into the evening).

So let’s face it, that’s a completely rushed appointment... and I feel like they were exhausting me to the point of just being grateful to end the mess, and just march in and throw down a pile of money for that.

So that’s my basic impression of Apple Support!!

In other words, I don’t believe that their hours of input have been trying to help. Rather it seems they want to exhaust people by engaging with them, endlessly, until such folks will feel like rushing into their rushed appointment.

So I’ll pass on the appointment, especially that I don’t feel I really understand the whole situation very well with my Mac...

And I really do get that impression that that’s what they’re really doing.

Because that seems what they just did to me.

But it’s funny because I’m not the type to run into the shop like that, plopping down piles of $$... especially because of the absurdity of being rushed by people that I don’t even know, lol.

That’s what I think Apple support is really about, in my experience.

I’m also not necessarily blaming Apple themselves for their support guys seemingly wasting people’s time, and then pushing them into the shop, as the only option.

So it might be blamed more on the work culture in certain poor countries...

But anyway, it’s my pretty strong conclusion of what really just happened here, lol.

Because the different people have different input so in the end, I don’t think they seem to really know what they are doing; rather, I think they are deliberately wasting time by referring to Apple guidebooks and things... but not to help, just to keep suggesting things that don’t help...

So I won’t get ready to start pouring money after it, and I can rather look into it more, myself...

Also, while I acknowledge that booting up (and first aid) is not working...

I’m still not convinced that it’s the end of the world, how they’re sounding like it is.

Plus they were making me crazy lol to keep telling me that my internal hdd must be wiped, thus leading to the Apple store visit that’s the only way...

Well f*ck all of that mess.

And I also think that recovery of a TB of data, just seems absurd and unnecessary, because... I’m not convinced that the Mac itself needs to be wiped.

In fact, I don’t believe that, the more I think about it...

For goodness sake, there might be one thing that is broken in the boot up process, so maybe we can somehow fix the boot up process, without transferring all saved data from there to somewhere else...

I need to pause and reflect on everything but it seems like an absurd way to approach the situation.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hard drive starts booting slow .
Then the situation degrades to powering off at boot.
My bet :
1) Corrupt system files .
2) Flailin and a'failin hard drive.

(shh...the first one is there just to give you a bit of hope)

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: rounda
Looks like you already tried to repair the disk. You can also try clearing the PRAM and NVRAM. Thats really the extent of what you can do for troubleshooting a Mac. The price you pay for the walled garden.
www.lifewire.com...

There are a couple methods for retrieving data.

1. Get a PCI to USB hard drive adapter, remove the hard drive, plug it into another computer with the adapter, copy everything over. A second Mac is ideal, a Linux system is doable, and you'll need software to read the apple file system on Windows.

2. Buy a new hard drive, take the old one out, put the new one in, install OSX over the network, use the PCI to USB adapter to plug in the old drive, copy everything over.

3. You create a live Linux USB stick, boot from that, plug in an external hard drive, copy everything over.

Do yourself a favor, just get a windows PC and install Linux on it.

As a Mac nut even I agree, love my Macs but I've grown to have an affair with Linux the last few years for ease of use, cost, and efficiency every Mac I have has boot camp running Linux too. Used to have Linux on all of our work PC's I was the de facto IT department with no budget.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 01:16 AM
link   
If it were a PC I could probably chime in. I have apple products in the house but don't work on them like I do on the PC. (I have an IPad and my wife has an IMac.

Anyway there is this independent guy on YouTube that has a store in New York that fixes all kinds of things Apple. He could probably get you up and running in a few minutes. I enjoy watching his videos slamming Apple for the lies they constantly tell that things are not fixable when they are extremely easy to fix.

Here is the channel, maybe he has some info on your problem. I don't know. Anyway I hope you start feeling well. When I would visit Mexico before I moved here I would always get dead sick. You can't trust the water, or the vegetables. Drink purified water, and if you eat out never let them give you stuff like onion, tomato, cabbage, etc with your food. No one I know disinfects the food properly. They use dirty/contaminated water to irrigate the food, so you gonna have all types of serious infections in the vegetables. I would recommend buying your own food and cooking/disinfecting everything yourself. People here tend to cook dirty, cross contaminate, and handle money while handling raw and cooked food all at the same time. Not that it doesn't happen in the States, it seems to be more sanitary there than here when it comes to drinking and eating.

Louis Rossman

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
My bet :

Haha thanks! Well the overall performance has been fine.

Occasionally if I left it on for too many days or weeks, she would gradually become more sluggish, until a full shut down and restart (or a couple of times) would restore her back to proper speed.

And occasionally I’d run a few programs to scan and clean everything.

So overall the performance was always fine.

And I’m not sure exactly what happened here but we could probably say some of the reason, is that I probably hadn’t shut down and restarted for too long of a time.

Also to be honest I do think I got some malware from the mentioned websites of ill repute, despite being based on digital photos, which I thought was pretty benign.

Plus I probably broke the boot-up process further by interrupting the boot-up a few times, I bet it’s why it shuts down during it.

But anyway even such a combination of factors still doesn’t seem so terrible that I must jump to the effort of data extraction of the terabyte internal hdd.

And plus like I said, Apple Support was wasting my time on purpose, I now believe.

So putting everything aside, I think I need to look at the possibility of hopefully repairing the trouble-spots of the boot-up, etc., without wiping the hdd.

So I’m going to explore this idea including the ideas in this thread.

And I think MacOS can commonly be reinstalled over the current install, to eliminate problems in the os... but without actually deleting saved data, at all.

Anyways thanks for the input guys.

I actually think that some of you guys are giving much better advice than Apple Support did.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JamesChessman

originally posted by: Gothmog
My bet :

Haha thanks! Well the overall performance has been fine.

Occasionally if I left it on for too many days or weeks, she would gradually become more sluggish, until a full shut down and restart (or a couple of times) would restore her back to proper speed.

And occasionally I’d run a few programs to scan and clean everything.

So overall the performance was always fine.

And I’m not sure exactly what happened here but we could probably say some of the reason, is that I probably hadn’t shut down and restarted for too long of a time.

Also to be honest I do think I got some malware from the mentioned websites of ill repute, despite being based on digital photos, which I thought was pretty benign.

Plus I probably broke the boot-up process further by interrupting the boot-up a few times, I bet it’s why it shuts down during it.

But anyway even such a combination of factors still doesn’t seem so terrible that I must jump to the effort of data extraction of the terabyte internal hdd.

And plus like I said, Apple Support was wasting my time on purpose, I now believe.

So putting everything aside, I think I need to look at the possibility of hopefully repairing the trouble-spots of the boot-up, etc., without wiping the hdd.

So I’m going to explore this idea including the ideas in this thread.

And I think MacOS can commonly be reinstalled over the current install, to eliminate problems in the os... but without actually deleting saved data, at all.

Anyways thanks for the input guys.

I actually think that some of you guys are giving much better advice than Apple Support did

Try clearing the NVRAM and PRAM first. That's what stores config files needed for bootup.

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MidnightHawk
If it were a PC I could probably chime in. I have apple products in the house but don't work on them like I do on the PC. (I have an IPad and my wife has an IMac.

Anyway there is this independent guy on YouTube that has a store in New York that fixes all kinds of things Apple. He could probably get you up and running in a few minutes. I enjoy watching his videos slamming Apple for the lies they constantly tell that things are not fixable when they are extremely easy to fix.

Here is the channel, maybe he has some info on your problem. I don't know. Anyway I hope you start feeling well. When I would visit Mexico before I moved here I would always get dead sick. You can't trust the water, or the vegetables. Drink purified water, and if you eat out never let them give you stuff like onion, tomato, cabbage, etc with your food. No one I know disinfects the food properly. They use dirty/contaminated water to irrigate the food, so you gonna have all types of serious infections in the vegetables. I would recommend buying your own food and cooking/disinfecting everything yourself. People here tend to cook dirty, cross contaminate, and handle money while handling raw and cooked food all at the same time. Not that it doesn't happen in the States, it seems to be more sanitary there than here when it comes to drinking and eating.

Louis Rossman

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of that channel but I did glance at it, some months ago. I’ll check it out!

Mexico: we stay mostly in the Hotel Zone of Cancún and most food and drink is from the hotel restaurants, so it’s pretty upscale and about as sanitary as possible, I think.

I only got sick during the trip home, for whatever reason, but truly we must get bombarded with thousands of people’s germs etc., just in the planes and airports.

However I am coming around to feeling better quickly.

But thanks for the tips and my first visit, a few years ago, I did get tricked by the sign that the hotel room tap water was potable... so I drank from the faucet and got sick but only a couple days.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join