It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I decided to stop feeding the beast: History is against community guidelines.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I've been working my way out of social media for a while. Ditched Twitter a long while back. Been trying to get out of Fascistbook, but business and personal have made it difficult. The last straw has fallen on the camel's back, though. A couple of days ago I posted a quote that has heavy historical significance:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” ~Joseph Goebbels

That's against Fascistbook community guidelines. You know, things like history, truth, revealing their strategies and practices.

Here's my issue, though, and something that anyone who cares about freedom but is still using these fascist platforms needs to think about. As a wise man once said:

If you are not paying for the product, you are the product.

Nothing is free. These social media accounts are not free.The advertising accounts for only a fraction of their generated income. They sell you. Every post you make, every survey you answer, every photo you upload is generating income for them. There is a quote attributed to Vladimir Lenin that fits perfectly here:

The capitalists will sell us the rope with which to hang them.

Every time you generate income for these tyrant-wanabees you are paying them to destroy your liberty. They mine your data - the data that you provide - and use it to make money, money that will be used to further restrict your freedom and turn the US into Venezuela-On-Steroids.

I'm done. My bailing from Fascistbook and other fascist social media platforms may not do much, but if everybody who was ever banned just said, SCREW YOU and left, they'd get the message.

Or maybe not.

Either way, I'm not selling them the rope they need. Maybe others will; that's the way it works sometimes. But it won't be me.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Perception is reality

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

Perception is reality

No, reality is reality. The entire relativistic world-view is a big deception.

If perception is reality, what happens when somebody perceives that the money in your wallet is theirs, or the things in your home that you've worked hard to purchase and want to enjoy should belong to them instead? Are you going to roll over and just let them take that because of their perception?

No? I didn't think so. So, the whole your truth/my truth, perception is reality thing is a big lie of convenience. Either everything is relative and perception rules, or truth is truth and there can only e one truth by the very nature of what truth is.

Can't have it both ways.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Never been a facebook user, never will, same with twitter..and yes, we are products, every business wants your phone #..why? because its a commodity. Even buying stuff ol, they want a phone #..nope, not getting it. I use phone # as an example.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Never been a facebook user, never will, same with twitter..and yes, we are products, every business wants your phone #..why? because its a commodity. Even buying stuff ol, they want a phone #..nope, not getting it. I use phone # as an example.

I had never intended to get a Fascistbook account, but we moved internationally and it was the easiest way to stay in touch with all of my international contacts.

It was admittedly a majo mistake. Wish I never had.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

I had never intended to get a Fascistbook account, but we moved internationally and it was the easiest way to stay in touch with all of my international contacts.

Most of the people I know, got for the same reason, keeping in touch, or business. But we do know, there is always a flipside to these conveniences.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Unfortunately, that's not even true. You buy a smartphone, smartTV, any kind of smart'insertdevicehere'.

You're still the product.

Back when cable TV came out, the idea was that you would be paying for ad free content, unlike the free broadcast stuff...as you may have noticed if you've ever watched cable TV, that didn't last long.

I doubt there's actually one widely used online service where even paying customers data isn't bought and sold constantly.

I mean put it this way...

You use a credit card...you're a product...

Ever have a points membership or something at a store....you're a product

Ever given your details at a place like Sears or something after a purchase....you're a product.

The behaviour itself isn't new. The depth of it however has increased to encroach into every aspect of our lives.

You can leave Facebook, or never have one at all.

Have a friend with Facebook? Know someone with Facebook? Do they have your phone number in their phone? Congrats, you have a secret Facebook profile that Facebook uses to make money.

Same with any other service that asks for contact permissions, twitter, the other Facebook one, Instagram, WhatsApp, tiktok, that kinda #. If anyone you know has your phone number stored in their phone and they have an account on a platform like that, so do you, yours is just invisible.

Most of our modern tech economy is based around every consumer being a product that can make them money. Whether you opt out or not and this is slowly being pushed into every aspect of life.

Neighbourhoods with nest cams that provide Google with data on every neighbourhood they're installed. Smart cameras in commercial buildings and apartments and such that track and collect data on customers and residents, every fool who has an Amazon echo or some such a device.

It's getting increasingly harder to avoid being a product no matter where you go or what you do in society.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Most of the people I know, got for the same reason, keeping in touch, or business. But we do know, there is always a flipside to these conveniences.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
All true, hard to escape it..at this point.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I don't have Facebook. I'm surprised to know you have that crap. You're better that that.

It was clear for me since they started. I noticed the kind of people jumping into that garbage looking for relevance. I also saw the stupid face of its owner and could tell right the way he wanted to be like Gates.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

Perception is reality

No, reality is reality. The entire relativistic world-view is a big deception.

If perception is reality, what happens when somebody perceives that the money in your wallet is theirs, or the things in your home that you've worked hard to purchase and want to enjoy should belong to them instead? Are you going to roll over and just let them take that because of their perception?

No? I didn't think so. So, the whole your truth/my truth, perception is reality thing is a big lie of convenience. Either everything is relative and perception rules, or truth is truth and there can only e one truth by the very nature of what truth is.

Can't have it both ways.

I applaud You!!

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I am not much on socializing, but I have always shared photos and info about life with anyone I feel that close to by email, I have never really understood the other stuff, why other than people get hooked on self portraits daily it seems and unnecessary communication of their lives in a way that looks like they want to be applauded?

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I am not much on socializing, but I have always shared photos and info about life with anyone I feel that close to by email, I have never really understood the other stuff, why other than people get hooked on self portraits daily it seems and unnecessary communication of their lives in a way that looks like they want to be applauded?

Yes, it is a weird experiment of sorts..I think, all about "me" for some..self indulgent dribble

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Facebook being a commercial product is where you guys are wrong.
Do a little research on Facebook. It was established the DAY congress shut down Lifelog.
Facebook is Lifelog legalized by privatization into a company and putting Zuckershill in charge.
Lifelog
It gets even better when you look at the property tax exempt super server farms everywhere.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Yes, it is a weird experiment of sorts..I think, all about "me" for some..self indulgent dribble

There is certainly that element.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I've been working my way out of social media for a while. Ditched Twitter a long while back. Been trying to get out of Fascistbook, but business and personal have made it difficult. The last straw has fallen on the camel's back, though. A couple of days ago I posted a quote that has heavy historical significance:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” ~Joseph Goebbels

That's against Fascistbook community guidelines. You know, things like history, truth, revealing their strategies and practices.

Here's my issue, though, and something that anyone who cares about freedom but is still using these fascist platforms needs to think about. As a wise man once said:

Nothing is free. These social media accounts are not free.The advertising accounts for only a fraction of their generated income. They sell you. Every post you make, every survey you answer, every photo you upload is generating income for them. There is a quote attributed to Vladimir Lenin that fits perfectly here:

The capitalists will sell us the rope with which to hang them.

Every time you generate income for these tyrant-wanabees you are paying them to destroy your liberty. They mine your data - the data that you provide - and use it to make money, money that will be used to further restrict your freedom and turn the US into Venezuela-On-Steroids.

I'm done. My bailing from Fascistbook and other fascist social media platforms may not do much, but if everybody who was ever banned just said, SCREW YOU and left, they'd get the message.

Or maybe not.

Either way, I'm not selling them the rope they need. Maybe others will; that's the way it works sometimes. But it won't be me.

I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the fact that you quoted an avid anti-Semitic who was the prime advocate for the extermination of the Jews had nothing to do with it...lol.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bunch

It's a distinct possibility.
Also worth considering that the particular quote used does sort of give the game away somewhat.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
a reply to: Bunch

It's a distinct possibility.
Also worth considering that the particular quote used does sort of give the game away somewhat.

I saw that. Utterly laughable for him to use it if it wasn’t for the despicable source he use.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

"Back when cable TV came out, the idea was that you would be paying for ad free content, unlike the free broadcast stuff...as you may have noticed if you've ever watched cable TV, that didn't last long."

Thank you. That is what I thought, but nobody I have talked to remembers that, they say there's always been commercials. I was beginning to think I'd found another Mandela Effect!!

Faceplantbook has no love from me. I got an account, after 2 weeks tried to cancel it, but it took DAYS to disconnect, which never truly happened. I still get invites, 10 years later, to refresh my life with The Zuck.
We are supposed to learn from our mistakes, not have them follow us around like a psycho-bitch-from-hell-ex-girlfriend!

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch

I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the fact that you quoted an avid anti-Semitic who was the prime advocate for the extermination of the Jews had nothing to do with it...lol.

It's great when a quote from any of the benevolent, altruistic figures from our human history fits a situation, and concisely & perfectly drives home a point. But there are also situations when a person or group has engaged in reckless, thoughtless, and/or dangerous behavior, and the best way to expose it is by quoting one of the most malevolent, evil, murderous, psychopathic humans to ever make the pages of our history books. Lenin, Mao... yes, even Hitler or Goebbels.
In such a moment, the words of the monster can be shared in print or spoken aloud, revealing that they advocated the same course of action. When used at the right time, the words of people long gone - be they good or evil - is a surefire way to break through the defensive cognitive dissonance, and help people understand why thousands of generations of our ancestors have understood the importance of remembering, and the deadly consequences of forgetting and erasing.

Your ignorance is truly something to behold.

ETA: A couple misguided members of my family believe that since Thomas Jefferson and other framers of the US Constitution owned slaves, the Constitution should be discarded and replaced, and not even used as a template for whatever comes next. Your thoughts? Are those slave owners monsters also, whose words should be cleansed from history forever?

Just wondering how far you would take this.
edit on 452021 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join