It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safety razor epiphany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 06:44 AM
link   
It wouldn't fit FCDs trick thread, why I made an own.

Got myself one of these butterfly safety razors some weeks ago. It's awesome, why have I even been fooled into buying those disposable or system razors like Gillette Venus?

It's like I never thought about what was used before, it's like an epiphany. Better in every way, sharp, robust, almost no waste such as plastic and packaging materials and so much cheaper. It looks gorgeos and like something I will use forever. The mechanism is marvelous. Only full sized razor blades / knives are better I guess.

Canned foam? No more! I just use a men's honey shaving soap stone and a brush, it leaves a oil layer and therefore no irritation afterwards. I don't need it for the face though, mostly arm pits and such, so for men it might be different.

Has anybody had a similar experience? With different household things? I am on the hunt for old but genius things like this system razor. Something that does what it needs to do, reliable. Someone once told me to hunt for used cast iron pans once. The quality differences are huge though. After sand blasting and seasoning they make the best roasts from all my pans and potato comes out just perfect.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I hated them id rather use a straight edge

Normaly I use disposable head razors ... also 1 blade last me months so its always be cheap for me to shave

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: markovian
The 4-5 blade razor heads is where I come from. A eight pack nearly costs as much as the safety razor itself. The safety razor cost 20€ and came with ten Astra blades.

A eight pack Gillette Venus costs 19€. These are the 4-5 blade system razor heads. They clog up and dull very fast. Each taste is different, I just discovered that a single blade butterfly safety razor is lenghts better and cheaper for me.

edit on 4.4.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I use my daughters hand me down 6 blade razors. After she's done with them they'll still do my little bit of shaving for months. She gave me her old 4 blade handle which is no different to a 6 blade handle.
edit on 4-4-2021 by Trucker1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I use a Kamisori style straight razor made in Damascus steel. I found a shave cream that is excellent. Taylor of Old Bond Street and a badger hair brush.
I highly recommend the scent called "The Eton College Collection". One tub of this lasts me about 8 months because it is so rich and thick, you just have to get a bit on the tips of the brush to make a thick lather and my fiance loves the smell.
It costs about $17 but is well worth it.

This is a pic of my razor.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Waxing.

I'm all about the pain.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   
That's what I use. I was throwing a lot of money away on the disposable head ones and they really weren't that much better.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I also switched to the butterfly safety razor after going through every disposable razor on the market. My problem was always a rash, whatever I used and whichever soap. In the end I ended up not shaving anymore and have had a beard or short stubble for the last 20 years.

However, I did have a much better experience with this type of razor, but I had to shave every bloody day. At least it was a lot cheaper and there was less waste.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I'm into blades and knives and that razor is a thing of beauty!

Is it an antique or a modern replica still available to buy?

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I've had it for quite a few years and the company who makes them doesn't sell them anymore.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

That's a shame. Thanks for the information.

For now I'll just enjoy your picture.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I quit scraping my face, altogether. It is quite freeing, to do as natural as possible, not caring what sort of freakish woodland creature you might look like.
Additionally, my face thanks me, my wife, distant.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Waxing.
I'm all about the pain.

Waxing is nice as a basis but overkill. It's more about how I didn't waste one thought on how it was done before those razor heads were introduced.

originally posted by: Encia22

I also switched to the butterfly safety razor after going through every disposable razor on the market. My problem was always a rash, whatever I used and whichever soap. In the end I ended up not shaving anymore and have had a beard or short stubble for the last 20 years.

However, I did have a much better experience with this type of razor, but I had to shave every bloody day. At least it was a lot cheaper and there was less waste.

The jelly glide pads soften up and get sticky if they get a bit of moisture on them. They are so expensive and I don't need so much, lot's of them always get sticky jelly pads that swell up.

I discovered the Haslinger Honey soap stone and I use the "badger hair" brush that came with the razor. It all takes a bit longer but the result is the same if not better. After a few weeks I am fond this is the best money / price ratio I can get.

Maybe I didn't conveye it yet, I am a woman, I don't use it for facial shaving, I just took your men' stuff and discovered it's far better than anything on the common market. I've never seen these safety razors in shops, just the disposable ones.

I knew they are a thing but thought they were dangerous, they kind of are but mine has a closed fence and I didn't cut myself yet. It's more ritualic than before, now I take more time but it's calming too.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Never even considered a Butterfly Razor before. You people are convincing me!

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   
That's a fine looking blade. Damast steel, For the kitchen, I have one santoku style and a bigger one, very nice to handle, razor sharp and since they are so fine looking I take great care about them. One has a cherry wood handle and the other one black wood but I don't know if it's just colored. They are one piece knifes with a hard, widened handle end, the wooden grips are placed on there. Hard to describe.

I use the Haslinger Honey Soap, it's my first one. Start to sound like marketing haha. It leaves a nice layer even after the cold water, comfy feeling and smell.

originally posted by: Skid Mark
That's what I use. I was throwing a lot of money away on the disposable head ones and they really weren't that much better.

Why didn't I discover this earlier?

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

It's great! I just got the cheap one from Wilkinson Sword. It came with Astra blades, I am still into the first one. I clean them on a little alcohol pad, switch them over after I used them since they are double bladed and double side cut.

It takes a bit practice and I was very respectful. Took my time in the evening, experimented with different angles and found my way. A brush is useful but in theory you don't need one. I discovered that soap stone works the best for me. They have oils in them that are good for the skin so the blade glides, but doesn't scrape over the skin.

It's wort a try, the above razor cost me 20€ incl. the brush and ten blades. That's what a 8 pack from a big company that names them after a planet starting with V already costs.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I was just looking at them on Amazon, I'd have to be cautious with a soap stone though, my skin is pretty sensitive, haven't touched soap in years and I have to be careful what Moisturizer I use.

I am always pissed at the price and performance of Gillette, there blades are pricey as hell! so worth a try I think.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I don't not like them, but I'd rather use a small straight razor. I don't shave my whole face that often, and I usually just edge my beard up about once a week or so, and then if I need to trim.it down I just use scissors/clippers.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

The one I use is honey based, lot's of stuff I use is honey, almond or marigold. Very sensitive skin too, I don't wear any makeup at all except sometimes it's just a decent eyeliner. I'm either sensitive or my skin is not used to the crap like there is in the common hair wash and soaps.

Before I used instant shaving cream, it's far more aggressive than the soap I use now.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 06:55 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join