It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atlanta Braves.....are acting brave

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Wait...you just argued on another thread about how being illegal didn't stop people from using and selling drugs, and that it wasn't effective in stopping people from using drugs. So am I supposed to believe its effective in stopping people who already crossed the boarder and stay here illegally from committing another crime?!?!

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

One is not driven to vote in order to maintain an addiction.

edit on 4/4/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

It may be illegal to try, doesn't mean many don't succeed.

Nor does it mean they do.

But Zaphod's answer regarding provisional ballots was something I was not aware of. I should have been.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The state of Georgia issues a Voter ID card, which is valid for 8 years, at no charge. You only have to provide proof that you're registered to vote.

That's my point. Voting is supposed to be "free". MLB All Star game tickets are not. If Georgia starts asking voters to pick up their ballots at a major league sports ticket outlet's Will Call, then there might be an issue. There is no comparison between voter rights and picking up an item paid for by credit card for Will Call.

I'm so sorry to disappoint you, Sookie!

You haven't.

From your Federalist link:

“Let’s take a look at some of the provisions in Georgia,” Wallace said during an interview with South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham. “The one that I think is creating the biggest fuss, it prohibits, it makes it a crime to give food or drink to voters waiting in line. Senator, why on Earth if Americans are willing to wait hours to vote, would you make it a crime for people to come and give them a bottle of water?”

“All I can say is that that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me, I agree with you there,” Graham said.

"the law that provide exceptions to “poll officers” to give voters refreshments as long as they are not provided by political interest groups."

Is there a budget for "poll officers" to dip into, to hand out bottled water to people waiting in line for hours? Does the law designate how water wielding "poll officers" are assigned water duty? Or, is it strictly voluntary and on each individual "poll officer" to procure, store and disturbed water?

What if a local VFW or Masons group want to hand out water? Is it ONLY "poll officers" that can hand out the precious vote threatening liquid?

Like members of parties giving lunch and a ride to the polls, like has been done in the past.

Yeah, those "Souls to the Polls" events are probably hotbeds for voter fraud and pay to play, potlucks lunches, for voters bribery schemes! LOL

edit on 4-4-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:56 PM
link   

No, one is driven to get what they want...be it entitlements and social welfare...or free phones or insurance. You saying those aren't motivators to break the law?

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

No. I don't think people would vote illegally to get those thing.
Do you really think enough non-citizens vote to change election results?
I'm not asking for evidence, mind you, but are you serious? Because it would take a very large number of them to accomplish what you suggest.

Those "free phones", btw? You probably don't know much about the program.
www.fcc.gov...

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Ok...I think you're being obtuse and disingenuous on purpose because you have issues with being wrong about literally any topic you take part in. Also think its obviously to anyone who comes along after and reads the exchange...so I feel like my point was made and we can just agree to disagree...

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Voting is supposed to be "free".

It is free, both in Alabama and Georgia. Not sure about other states.

If one cannot afford a state ID, one can request a waiver of the cost. In any case, my drivers License is $23 for four years and a non-driver ID is $23 for 8 years. That comes to less than $3 a year, or, if one wishes to break it down, less than 0.8 cents per day. And again, even that minuscule amount can be waived.

One needs a state photo ID for almost anything one does... paying for something by check? Need that photo ID. Buying a gun? Photo ID. Applying for a credit card? Photo ID. Opening a bank account? Photo ID. Buying a car? Photo ID. Want a job? Photo ID... Federal requirement for a photo ID in that case. Government assistance? Photo ID. Buying a house? Photo ID. Renting a house? Photo ID. Essentially, the only way one can survive in the USA is to not work, not draw any sort of government assistance, live under a bridge hiding from the cops, and only buy things with cash (which one cannot get without a job or government assistance, unless you count theft... which adds to the list, being a criminal).

If someone is doing that, I'm sorry to burst your little utopian bubble, but IMO they don't need to be voting. I have met a couple of people like that, and they are all criminals who don't even care about voting... they care about getting that next fix or that next bottle and nothing else. If they're voting, it's because someone gave them a bottle to do so, and that's illegal as well.

I will also mention that Lindsey Graham holds a Federal position, not a state position. He has no say in the Georgia legislature. Asking him about a bill in the state legislature is about as relevant as asking the next guy you meet on the street... either one might or might not have any knowledge about the bill.

Is there a budget for "poll officers" to dip into, to hand out bottled water to people waiting in line for hours?

Is there a budget for Democrat pundits to dip into to buy water to give to thirsty people so they can get in a last-minute plug? Why, yes, I believe there probably is.

You also seem to have missed where the new bill addresses those long lines directly, by requiring precincts with over 2000 registered voters to be split up or given additional resources for additional voting machines. Strange you never picked up on that in the bill... it's right there in Section 18, starting on page 20. I guess you didn't read that far, eh?

Yeah, those "Souls to the Polls" events are probably hotbeds for voter fraud and pay to play, potlucks lunches, for voters bribery schemes!

You said this like it was a joke, but it's actually the most honest thing I have seen you post to date.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I posted this reply in another thread. The person I was replying to is offline, can you comment?

--------------------------------

Is the theory that people have been standing in line, are thirsty, but are not going to leave the line. But if some says, "hey, here's a bottle of water if you vote for my guy" they are going to change the way they were going to vote? That doesn't make much sense, since there is no way to know how they actually vote.

Or is the theory that it will encourage people to vote if they know people might be offering food or water in the line?

Was there no existing law which prohibited electioneering within a certain radius of the polling place? If there was, why the need to "reinforce" it?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In any case, hopefully election officials will be prepared to offer water, at least, to those who want it.

edit on 4/5/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Yes, I'll comment.

The law is that campaigns may not advertise within so many feet (I think it's like 300?) of a polling place. That law is there for two reasons: to prevent congestion from campaigners literally blocking access to the polls by sheer numbers, and to prevent campaigners from literally threatening people if they vote or don't vote a certain way.

Yes, that has happened (and probably still does). Believe it or not, it is very easy to saunter up next to someone in line and whisper, "We'll know if you vote the wrong way. We have cameras inside." We live in a society where people can't usually even name the Vice President... do you really believe they would know that cameras are strictly forbidden inside the polls?

The issue is that campaigners are using tricks and loopholes to get closer than they are supposed to. "Here's some water, ma'am... (Don't forget to vote for Jones, and remember we will know.)" "Oh? What's that? Am I campaigning? Oh, no, sir, I'm just delivering water to these thirsty people!"

There's a lot of money flowing in politics, and people will, always have, and likely always will do bad things for money.

As for offering food and drink in the line being a "draw"... Phage, businesses have been doing this for years to draw people in! It works! I have personally gone to events trying to sell cars or some other such thing that had a sign out front that read "Free hotdogs!" just to get a free hotdog. Once you step foot in the event, the high-pressure sales pitch is on! Do you seriously think that people in politics are all so immaculately honest as to forego the chance to tell more people about themselves?

It takes me less than 15 minutes to vote, and that's if it's busy and the ballot is long. I have been in and out in under 5 minutes before. If someone can't wait in line for an hour without water and didn't bring water with them, they're not intelligent enough to vote! Hell, they're not intelligent enough to live if they're that bad off and need to be in some long-term assisted housing to keep them from falling over dead for forgetting to breathe.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 03:21 AM
link   

The law is that campaigns may not advertise within so many feet (I think it's like 300?) of a polling place.
So there is an existing law.

do you really believe they would know that cameras are strictly forbidden inside the polls?
Sure. But changing their vote for a bottle of water? Oh, I forgot. They are of very low moral character, those voters.

Once you step foot in the event, the high-pressure sales pitch is on!
But thought this was all on the down low. Hard to give a high-pressure pitch on the down low.

If someone can't wait in line for an hour without water and didn't bring water with them, they're not intelligent enough to vote!
Is there an intelligence test to qualify to vote in Georgia now?

I think it's an effort to reduce the number of people who vote, personally. The more people who vote, the worse Republicans fare.

Absentee voting, way too easy to vote. Just look at how many voted last election. Gotta cut back on that.

Dropboxes, lots of people used them. Let's reduce access to those, too.

Polling places. Seems early version of the bill were pretty harsh in that regard. They realized they couldn't get away with that, but those people helping them out when they're in line, we should stop that. Won't stop many from voting of course, but every person who doesn't vote is better for us.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What ? a month later and you still haven't taken my advice on reading up on US Civics (state , local , and federal) yet ?
Shame

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 04:05 AM
link   

So there is an existing law.

Yes, but it appears to have loopholes. This bill closes those loopholes. Are you in favor of loopholes in the law?

Sure. But changing their vote for a bottle of water? Oh, I forgot. They are of very low moral character, those voters.

How about over a whispered threat? That can happen, you know.

You either did not read the response you specifically asked for, or you didn't comprehend it.

But thought this was all on the down low. Hard to give a high-pressure pitch on the down low.

Are you daft, Phage, or are you pretending to be daft?

Or are you simply doing what you seem to be best at, changing the subject whenever someone makes an argument?

If you want to discuss this with me, get off the snark. I'm not in the mood for it.

Is there an intelligence test to qualify to vote in Georgia now?

Yes. One has to have an IQ over 0.

In order to have that IQ over 0, one must also be alive.

I think it's an effort to reduce the number of people who vote, personally.

You're almost right. It's an effort to reduce the number of people who vote illegally as well as those who solicit illegal votes.

The more people who vote, the worse Republicans fare.

Yes, I know. The Republicans typically don't carry the graveyards or the illegal voting block.

Gotta make sure those dead people vote! Gotta get them illegal aliens to the polls! Amiright?

Absentee voting, way too easy to vote. Just look at how many voted last election. Gotta cut back on that.

No one is cutting back on absentee voting. That's propaganda. Some people in Georgia seem to want absentee ballots to be verified, though.

Dropboxes, lots of people used them. Let's reduce access to those, too.

Where's the chain of custody of the ballot? What security measures are there to ensure one person one vote?

Dropboxes should be illegal unless manned by election officials 24/7 to ensure that people are not voting twice (or more). Otherwise, why not just have an Internet poll? About the same security measures.

Polling places. Seems early version of the bill were pretty harsh in that regard. They realized they couldn't get away with that, but those people helping them out when they're in line, we should stop that.

It has always been illegal to "help" someone vote. I can't confer with my wife when we go vote. She can't confer with me. Voting is a private matter in this country, Phage, and if you cannot accept that maybe you should find a country more to your liking. Libya, for example... I hear they run a good election. You don't even need to watch the polls to find out who won. The news just declares a winner. You'd like that.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I grew up a Braves fan and pay extra to be able to watch them. I will keep watching them and hopefully they won't cave in. They are right, and we are to say Felons and anybody without proper ID should not be voting. China with the help of Iran and others will just send a few million voters over to help their shills in DC win again.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I could not support the MLB less than I already do. Otherwise I would

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I'm not arguing against voter ID. I don't why you and others are assuming that.

The only thing that I am arguing is that picking up an item that was purchased by credit card at Will Call, is not comparable to the exercise of voting rights. No one has a protected and constitutional right to purchase tickets to a game. Poll taxes, however are illegal.

All 50 states require voter ID to register to vote. Not all states require a registered voter to show ID again at the polls.

My arguments is that there is more to this bill than voter ID requirements that makes people upset and ready to boycott.

I will also mention that Lindsey Graham holds a Federal position, not a state position. He has no say in the Georgia legislature. Asking him about a bill in the state legislature is about as relevant as asking the next guy you meet on the street... either one might or might not have any knowledge about the bill.

And yet, there he is being interviewed on the subject on FOX News! And, the Federalist published his comments!

By the way, boycotts don't stop at the Georgia border. This MLB All Stars "protest" involves people of other states and their money. That's why it hurts Georgia.

edit on 5-4-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I'm not arguing against voter ID.

All 50 states require voter ID to register to vote. Not all states require a registered voter to show ID again at the polls.

You're still arguing against voter ID. What good does it do to require an ID to get one's name on the poll list if no one is verifying ID when the vote is cast?

You mention poll taxes being illegal; they are, with good reason. However, if all 50 states require an ID to register to vote, what is the issue with showing that same ID when casting a vote? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to then argue that an ID required to register somehow is difficult to show when voting.

Show me the poll tax in this bill. Please.

My arguments is that there is more to this bill than voter ID requirements that makes people upset and ready to boycott.

To be honest, after watching the fiasco that national voting has become and now listening to the inaneness of the excuses on here, let 'em boycott! No one is forced to participate in the vote, you know. Boycott those polls to your heart's content!

The Braves don't need you either. MLB, like most of the sports today, has become a joke anyway. The media couldn't get everyone on board with their lying narratives, so TPTB are now trying to get sports programming to carry their propaganda message. And it's backfiring. I haven't watched a single sports event (except WWE, and if they don't drop those vaccine commercials I may leave them) in over a year now, and apparently neither has anyone else in my area. I know the subject of who won the game/race hasn't come up once in all that time. It used to be the first topic mentioned.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
This is purely speculation, but....

OMFG this years All-Star Game is going too be both dedicated to and in honor of George Floyd.

Which inning will be the "Fentanyl Dedication" ?😎

Instead of a moment of silence, spectators will observe a moment of holding their breath.

Oops...too soon?

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   

You're still arguing against voter ID. What good does it do to require an ID to get one's name on the poll list if no one is verifying ID when the vote is cast?

No, I'm just stating a fact. You're the one arguing in favor of voter ID at the polls. I simply don't care much about that part of the bill. Actually, IIRC the bill eliminates signature verification for absentee ballots in favor of valid ID.

Show me the poll tax in this bill. Please.

There is not poll tax. Poll taxes are illegal. That's why comparing voting rights to purchasing and picking tickets is dumb.

The water thing is an obviously ridiculous knee jerk reaction to how Georgians voted these last 2 elections. It serves no purpose in preventing voter fraud.

The independence of local community election boards threat is much more of an issue for me. So is the shortening of the time for voters to request absentee ballots in a run off election, and the tiny window this bill affords absentee voters to request and return their ballots. That's really going to affect military voters, out of state voters and rural voters.

This bill substantially changes the way some Georgians vote, both Republican and Democrat voters. It will take a lot of re-education efforts to get everyone up to speed on what they need to make sure they can vote, and that their votes will be counted for the 2022 election. Democrats are good at that, for their voters. Are Republicans?

edit on 5-4-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I believe the Seminoles and some of the Cherokee have blessed a few of the teams like FSU and the Atlanta Braves. Cleveland I don't recall getting the same blessing. Atlanta did confirm that they would respect the Tribes request that the chop is a misrepresentation of the Indians. This started up for them after a St Louis player who is Cherokee expressed his opinion of the chop in Atlanta.

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm waiting for them to change their names to the Atlanta National League Team since the name they use now is not PC. After that they can get the Cleveland club to change theirs to the Stink Rivers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join