It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we deal with the many issues facing the black community?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How do you work without proving citizenship? Are I9 laws different outside of the state of Texas? Each I9 that i do not activate by looking at their IDs and confirming they appear real is a minimum $3000 fine.

And yet, it is claimed that millions of people are working illegally.

Perhaps not all employers are as diligent as you are. Perhaps people will hire someone they know, a child of a friend (or a nephew, or an uncle), even though they cannot provide proof of citizenship.

Are you proposing the wild west? Instead of actually holding people accountable to the laws that we have, say screw it?

I mean...im an anarchist. So i don't have issue with this. But the reality is, once i start doing this ill be fired on the first DOL audit i receive because of the money i cost my employers.

No, you don't just give up and say screw it. There isn't a country on earth that doesn't protect its labor markets with immigration laws. Except, apparently, the US. Hell, i couldn't even get through the border into canada to provide training to coworkers at a site up there. We had to have them fly down, get trained here, then fly back up to train their peers. Because Canada is fanatical about protecting its labor market. That is the kind of thing an effective government does to prevent starving masses and whatnot.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Are you proposing the wild west? Instead of actually holding people accountable to the laws that we have, say screw it?
No.

I'm saying that getting a RealID is not as easy for all citizens as you make it out to be.
edit on 4/3/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
I guess I'm looking for an honest conversation here. The vast majority of you know me as a leftist and I would think one would assume I'd be more liberal on social matters, but when it comes to issues concerning black Americans, I am perplexed.
(snip)

He flipped off at me. Told me I was given into some racist agenda. I get it, I really do. Slavery, segregation, yes history wasn't the best to blacks, but how many times are we going to escape to that excuse? He just cut me off...

I'm not surprised and I don't blame him. He told you that it was a problem and you started waving the issues away. You might be surprised how often minorities have this same experience... "we fixed it, now what's your problem." When they say "it wasn't fixed" the response is "yes it was. See? No more slavery and you can vote now. What's your problem?"

How are we supposed to rectify these issues if we don't get down to the core reasons or the cold hard truths? The truth hurts, we all that saying, but we're able to better ourselves once we address this. What gives?

The conversation would have gone differently if you'd asked him "what do you think still needs to change?"

For instance, "Driving While Black" is still a problem. Minority fear about police mistreatment is real and an ongoing problem everywhere. Resources in minority-dominant schools is... well, frankly abysmal. How can someone prepare for a good job in a school where there's only six computers for the kids to use? How can you get to a decent job when all the bus systems and transportation systems serve mainly the wealthier areas and not the poor areas where for generations was the only place they were allowed to live?

Or how about the issue I see on NextDoor app, where people in my neighborhood freak out if they see a Black man walking around. They don't freak out over my husband taking his daily walk, but I've seen they go nuts over a Black man who lives around here out for his weekly walk.

I guess the point of this thread is to get perspectives from others. I KNOW there are some outspoken blacks out there not afraid to speak the truth about issues within the community. What are we missing here?

Listening and accepting that their experience isn't what yours is. And supporting their solutions to the problem.

Christ, we can't keep of sweeping these hard talks under the ground because of feelz.

Take a look at what you just said. The Black community has told you how they feel and what the problem is... and you dismiss it as "feelz" and demand a solution that you think is better.

A solution (e.g. "move money for police into community services to solve problems before they become crimes and send someone other than the police to calls where someone has mental issues") for an issue that YOU don't face.

Can't believe it but I'm at this point where I'm wonder. And NO I don't, once again, believe in the genetic inferiority or any racist crap like that. What I do know is that there are hard truths we're not addressing..... this is 13% of our population. Steps have to be made.

Learn to listen. Learn that even if it's not something you see or experience, that what they're telling you is the truth. Don't tell them solutions. Ask them what works and work with them.

And listen.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I believe allot of the so called problems in the black community is hyperbolic. I have been in many cultures including prominent black communities in the USA. I have had black friends girl friends etc. the obvious answer is pretty relative education, the democrat ran cities have done a pitiful job in those communities and that’s not just exclusive to the black communities in cities. The focus should really be on the class DESCREPENCIES, the rich and powerful have been selling out the poor for decades, the system has been designed to oppress the poor and inprisoning the poor, however that is a to complex problem to post on ats it would quickly get polluted with the resident trolls trying to be fancy with words for stars.

We should all be proud of who we are and our culture whether you’re white black oriental etc. the first step is understanding that’s ok. Also treating each other with respect and helping each other. It’s as simple as that if you focus on humanity. Hopefully we can figure out how to do that before it’s to late.
edit on 3-4-2021 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No.

I'm saying that getting a RealID is not as easy for all citizens as you make it out to be.

Then fix THAT issue. Don't dumb down the entire system to account for morons who cannot figure out basic stuff like where to find an ID. That is exactly what the phrase "soft bigotry of lowered expectations" means. If you have a citizenry that cannot obtain the most basic elements needed to function within your society, you figure that out.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: olaru12
I'm sure the black community is grateful for a bunch of mostly white politicians to decide where, when and how long they have to wait to vote. They know it's not racially inspired.

www.businessinsider.com...

Those people decide when, where, and how long we all get to vote.

And the net result in Georgia was MORE voting hours and MORE access. ?????

Yeah, right....

www.refinery29.com...

It's blowing up in Kemps face. Now more minorities will vote DNC, and corps will boycott Georgia.

www.fox5atlanta.com...

www.rollingstone.com...
edit on 3-4-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

If you have a citizenry that cannot obtain the most basic elements needed to function within your society, you figure that out.

That's sort of what this thread is about, isn't it? But a RealID is not required to function in society.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I am about 6' 3", and have a large build. About 300lbs, former powerlifting champion, etc. Im an imposing figure. Women do not tend to ride alone in elevators with me. They will cross the street. Those kinds of behaviors...just making sure we are not alone together.

Now people who know me know im impeccible. My reputation is beyond reproach. But if you don't know me, you might measure risk.

Is this sexist? Maybe. I mean, the fact that im a man is what does it. If i was a large woman, i doubt they'd feel intimidated. Is it wrong? I don't think so. And despite the fact that it makes me feel really bad, feel like less of a human when it happens....those feelings are my problem to deal with.

But im not going to think someone is acting wrongly when they evaluate risk through their own prism.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thank you for the out of context link to a liberal slanted website. I was going to send a turd in a box as a thank you, but didn't want to exceed the value of your gift by that much. So a thank you will have to suffice.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I came the US in '89 and lived in a pretty crappy situation in LA and Las Vegas for a number of years. The poor immigrant community is pretty large and faces many of the same issues.

Life is a matter of choices. However, if you don't even know that there are choices beyond what's right in front of you? Not sure how to get passed that without some kind of outside help.

One of the things affecting the black community (as a minority population in America) is the external stressors that often go ignored because of political opportunism. Illegal immigration is a huge economic stressor on the black community as well as the immigrant community I came up in.

Drugs and prostitution is a symptom of the problem in the black community as well as the immigrant community. They are economic stressors that could be changed if not for the institutional policies enacted during the Jim Crow era in places like Baltimore. I made reference to these policies in my thread The Black Zone: How the Progressive Movement Created the Modern Ghetto .

The policies mentioned above have isolated minority populations from the rest of the economy. This is a REAL example of systemic racism that would take not much more than a stroke of a pen to undo. The worst among these offenders are places that are administered by Progressive Democrats. This has been true now for over 100 years.

The way taxes are distributed in cities for infrastructure and schools is also historically a means of keeping white tax dollars from reaching the populations zoned away from the prosperity of white Progressive neighborhoods canonized by policy over a century ago.

While the left is constantly droning on about systemic racism, they sure never seem to understand that their unaddressed history of systemically racist policies that affect real people today is a huge part of the problem.

But I do not lay all of these problems at the feet of over a century of Progressive political opportunism. Black and Hispanic communities and immigrant *communities at large are not exactly monolithic. Like I said in my opening paragraph, we all have choices to make. I looked at my life early on and didn't like what I was getting myself into.

I barely escaped a life of violence, gangs, and drugs if not for a strong mother and a willingness to change things for myself and my family. That point of view is derisively called "whiteness" now, something that I believe is helping to keep minority populations down and dependent. A psychological weapon that allows the Progressive political opportunists from having to answer for their historically racist and monopolistic policies. This is designed to hide choices behind a curtain of impenetrable "whiteness" and "white supremacy." The truth is that those choices are still available and the minority communities I've been addressing in this post don't have to accept their circumstances. They can change them. I did.
edit on 4 3 2021 by projectvxn because: *Changed word "communists" for communities. Predictive word error.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

However, if you don't even know that there are choices beyond what's right in front of you? Not sure how to get passed that without some kind of outside help.

I think the world would be a different place if...just for a day....

Rich kids & teachers switched schools for a day
Bosses switched places with employees (hello undercover boss)
Different cultures switched places for a day
Men/women husband/wives etc. switched places for a day (I think Covid shed some light on this)
City folks and country folks switched places

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It would solve nothing on the second day.

We need to address policy as my post states as well as make people aware of choices beyond their immediate environment.
edit on 4 3 2021 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It's hard to have an honest debate on this topic, because an honest debate would involve criticisms and opposing paradigms which lead to disagreements.

Lot of people have been indoctrinated to believe that 'disagreement = hate' and 'hate = racism', so obviously 'criticism and opposing paradigms' must be racist.

And if a person is racist, you shouldn't bother debating them.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

It would solve nothing on the second day.

We need to address policy as my post states as well as make people aware of choices beyond their immediate environment.

Actually I think it would be a catalyst for some change, both immediate and long term. Sometimes the only change that needs to happen is that in a persons mind, and something needs to trigger that. My mom always said the hardest part is just starting.

I know these are just shows, but undercover boss has shown change (sometimes drastic) based on what bosses experience.
Wife swap sometimes ends in divorce or people reflecting on what is really wrong in their lives.

IRL, People that travel and experience other cultures are often more empathetic.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

The thread started out quite well. Then someone presented "evidence" (science!) that blacks actually are inferior. It was downhill from there.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   

But none of those personal experiences change policy.

I'm addressing over 100 years of racist policy STILL in effect today. Those policies can't be described in any other way and constitute what can only be described as systemic racism.

I get what you're saying, but Americans don't live in a bubble. We live with each other and our experience isn't so different from one another so as to be alien. We need to address policy.
edit on 4 3 2021 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I would say the first step would be, to get rid of the identifiers people use before the word American. Next, I would say teach self-responsibility, self-reliance and drop the self-entitlement.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Thank you for the out of context link to a liberal slanted website. I was going to send a turd in a box as a thank you, but didn't want to exceed the value of your gift by that much. So a thank you will have to suffice.

Ole #19....attack the source and #18 thrown in as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Many Blacks in general who are typically on the lower end of the wage scale do not want to see the elephant in the room as to why so many Blacks are doing poorly in life and that 99% of their problems are self-induced.

So I need to ask you whether or not your friend is on the lower end of the wage earning scale or not?

I ask you this because all my Black friends who are on the higher end like myself see things pretty damn close to the same that for many Blacks their lives suck because they made their lives suck and they just do not want to look in the mirror to see who is at fault. Some of my Black friends go well beyond any point I'm will to make as a white guy towards all this....

Then we have this Asian issue...This anti-Asian from blacks has been there since the 60s and the reason is that Asians for a long time were the only group of people to go into poor areas which many have a high percentage of Blacks and open businesses and be successful in those businesses. They also do not mess around when a group of Blacks come to burn down their store they are met with armed prior ROK army soldiers that will kill in an instant to protect what they have.

Even the Vietcong knew not to mess with the ROKs...

Blacks don't particularly like Latinos either for the same reason that they can be successful where the Blacks can not... I remember back when Katrina hit and masses of Latinos went there to sleep in their cars and work 16 hours a day, and the Major of New Orleans said this...

Instead the mayor chose that moment to take a swipe at the thousands of Latino laborers who had descended on New Orleans after the storm—people whom most locals, black or white, seemed to appreciate for their willingness to do the miserable work of gutting homes and cleaning out ruined, malodorous restaurants in a hot city. “I can see it in your eyes,” Nagin began. “You want to know, ‘How do I take advantage of this incredible opportunity? How do I make sure New Orleans is not overrun with Mexican workers?

The sad part is they didn't take jobs from Blacks as very few of the Blacks there would be willing to do those jobs in the first place.

edit on 3-4-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Ole #19....attack the source and #18 thrown in as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

tissue?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join