It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we deal with the many issues facing the black community?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I know you may not like Candice but she really hits the nail right on the head on the topic of your OP here. Please give this five minute video a chance and I think you might find a new respect for her. In my opinion she is the BEST advocate for REAL black American's issues today!

Ummm...not only that...but she’s hot...

She checks all my boxes...

Beautiful...
Intelligent...
Articulate...
Extremely strong character...
Powerful will...

Why on earth would anyone attempt to denigrate and marginalize her...

“Those with ears...let them hear”
“Those with eyes...let them see”
“Those with mouths...let them speak”

And my personal fave...

“Those with minds...let them think”

Oh...wait...that last one was my personal addition...Ha...Ha...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   
For starters: We must strive to have better relations between the police and our communities. Like...no arresting of people who possess small amounts of illegal drugs. Instead --- Help guide them toward drug rehabilitation programs.

Also...provide temporary lodgings for homeless people living on the streets.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

My hometown has 48% white and 48% hispanic. The remaining 4% are "other" which consists of black, asian (to include eastern indian), islanders, and indigenous. I cannot tell you what percentage are black, but do know its very small. We have quite a few asian and eastern indian folks. Middle eastern as well. They are doctors, hoteliers, restaurant owners, etc.

You see the same BS happen there that you see everywhere else. Except there, since there just aren't that many black people, its just not possible for it to be focused on a single demographic. The cops there have a long storied bad reputation. I have been victimized by them in the past myself.

I guess what im saying is: fixing issues with law enforcement benefits everyone. Not just black people. I think a better question is....why do black people tend to sift to the bottom socioeconomically regardless of where they are in America? Where I live now, in central Texas, there are quite a few black people. Here they are nurses, doctors, lawyers, business owners. So its not like there is a blanket reason that effects all of a specific race. Its just that there are goign to be so many poor people, and black folks happen to over represent in the group. Thats the question that needs answering, and likely can't be answered for a litany of reasons that the OP tried to address.

I really think the soft bigotry of low expectations has a lot to do with it. Its insulting, and should be rejected.
edit on 4/3/2021 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Listen to the black community. And not act like you know what’s best for them speaking from your own perspective. A white person will never understand what it’s like to be black in America.

That’s the simple truth before everyone starts on their media is brainwashing people BS. People in this thread are actually blaming black people without realizing it’s this attitude that widens the gap in understanding more than anything.

Realize that a real discussion about this will make you uncomfortable. As it should. But don’t let being uncomfortable push you into defensive positions. If you can’t empathize with people who are different than you, then work on that before you enter the conversation.

This country and a lot of its laws were built on age old racist tropes. I think a lot of people have to confront the fact that America isn’t some shining beacon of human respect and equality, it never has been. Black people have only been legally equal for barely 60 years, and everyone thinks this is long enough to throw off 400 years of societal oppression. I have friends whose great uncles and grandfathers were lynched because of the color of their skin. We aren’t that far removed from it and those families still bear those scars.

I realize facing that is uncomfortable for all you rah-rah flag waving America is #1 people. But you have to realize not everyone has the same experience as you. Listen, and try to see things from their point of view. And don’t let being uncomfortable close you off.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Listen to the black community. And not act like you know what’s best for them speaking from your own perspective. A white person will never understand what it’s like to be black in America.

That’s the simple truth before everyone starts on their media is brainwashing people BS. People in this thread are actually blaming black people without realizing it’s this attitude that widens the gap in understanding more than anything.

Realize that a real discussion about this will make you uncomfortable. As it should. But don’t let being uncomfortable push you into defensive positions. If you can’t empathize with people who are different than you, then work on that before you enter the conversation.

This country and a lot of its laws were built on age old racist tropes. I think a lot of people have to confront the fact that America isn’t some shining beacon of human respect and equality, it never has been. Black people have only been legally equal for barely 60 years, and everyone thinks this is long enough to throw off 400 years of societal oppression. I have friends whose great uncles and grandfathers were lynched because of the color of their skin. We aren’t that far removed from it and those families still bear those scars.

I realize facing that is uncomfortable for all you rah-rah flag waving America is #1 people. But you have to realize not everyone has the same experience as you. Listen, and try to see things from their point of view. And don’t let being uncomfortable close you off.

Ummm...could you please list...with citations of course...those racist tropes...

Thanx in advance...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Black people have had racist tropes absorbed within them as well.

When you say "listen to black people" do you refer to normal people? Or the ones who pimp racism like Sharpton and Jackson? Because i talk to normal people all the time that are black. And if we are being really honest: they have a diversity of viewpoints that goes well beyond what you are insinuating here.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Erno86

soft bigotry of low expectations

Ummm...what exactly does that mean...?

That sounds like one of those catch phrases the progressives use when they’re attempting to appear...progressive...

If you mean your insulted by people identifying the reasons why a majority of blacks have certain traditions foisted upon them by the progressive left ideology that they’ve adopted...then I fail to see the reason for being insulted...

If instead you mean that the insult springs from those traditions posing as compassion...rather than their true kept nature...then I can certainly agree with that insult...

Of course I could be wrong...or not...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Voter ID is a good example: black people are, according to folks against Voter ID, somehow....

....unable to find a DMV....

.....unable to complete the paperwork process....

....unable to afford it....

.....not sophisticated enough to see the importance of having it....

....participating enough in our daily economy to need one.

Do you believe any of these excuses to be true? Do you believe that it is still racist, despite not being outward and abject? Do you think that well meaning people might buy into this garbage, thus lowering their expectations for black people?

Its a soft bigotry. Not hard bigotry like screaming racial epithets. But racism is still racism.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Old African proverb says it best:

“If there is no enemy within,
then the enemy outside can do you no harm”

If you or anyone TRULY wants to have a conversation on this without emotions I can guarantee i’ve got an unpopular, but very well documented argument.

Short answer is it starts within each individual first.
edit on 3-4-2021 by DvDraake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm sure the black community is grateful for a bunch of mostly white politicians to decide where, when and how long they have to wait to vote. They know it's not racially inspired.

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 3-4-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Sure.

Cannabis prohibition was started for an explicit racist purpose, to criminalize being Mexican.

At the turn of the 20th century, cannabis—as it was then commonly known in the United States—was a little-used drug among Americans. With the start of the Mexican Revolution in 1910, however, many Mexicans began moving to the United States, and they brought with them the tradition of smoking marihuana. Amid a growing fear of Mexican immigrants, hysterical claims about the drug began to circulate, such as allegations that it caused a “lust for blood.” In addition, the term cannabis was largely replaced by the Anglicized marijuana, which some speculated was done to promote the foreignness of the drug and thus stoke xenophobia. Around this time many states began passing laws to ban pot.

Link

The “War on Drugs” itself was a racist act so the government would have a way to arrest and jail the anti-war left and black people.

From Nixon adviser John Erlichman:

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news."

"Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did,"

Link

Those two, especially the lie that is the war on drugs led to a lot of the inequality we’re seeing today. Militarized police, cartels, cartel violence, inner city neighborhoods being treated more like occupied enemy territory than places where Americans live. The inequality that is the justice system. Private prisons, the 13th amendment which allows people to be worked as slaves if they’re imprisoned for drug offenses. On and on..

Gun control. The Mulford act. The very first gun control laws were by Republicans who were terrified of black people owning guns in California when the black panthers took up arms to protect their communities from racist police.

The Mulford Act was a 1967 California bill that repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms. Named after Republican assemblyman Don Mulford, and signed into law by governor of California Ronald Reagan, the bill was crafted with the goal of disarming members of the Black Panther Party who were lawfully conducting armed patrols of Oakland neighborhoods, in what would later be termed copwatching.[1][2] They garnered national attention after Black Panthers members, bearing arms, marched upon the California State Capitol to protest the bill.[3][4][5]

Link

These are just a few off the top of my head. The further we go back in history, the more examples there are.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Voter ID is a good example: black people are, according to folks against Voter ID, somehow....

Do you believe any of these excuses to be true? Do you believe that it is still racist, despite not being outward and abject? Do you think that well meaning people might buy into this garbage, thus lowering their expectations for black people?

Its a soft bigotry. Not hard bigotry like screaming racial epithets. But racism is still racism.

Ummm...of course I don’t believe any of that to be true...and of course it’s racist...

I can’t really see that any well meaning...would honestly believe any of that...even children are better than that...with this disqualifier...that they truly do think that blacks are that incapable...

There’s nothing soft about that bigotry...those are hardcore racist people...

What’s truly sad in my opinion...is that so many blacks fell for and comfortably exist...kept...
That’s the truly heartrending aspect of this conversation...

They deserve better...they deserve to be able to look in the mirror...in honest appraisal...and respect the image staring back...for who can honestly respect their self if the truth of that image is their own reflection willingly and comfortably...placing those yokes around their own necks...

Frankly...that would rancor me much more than any historical rendition of chains and bondage...

To be so self bound...it really breaks the heart...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I'm sure the black community is grateful for a bunch of mostly white politicians to decide where, when and how long they have to wait to vote. They know it's not racially inspired.

www.businessinsider.com...

Those people decide when, where, and how long we all get to vote.

And the net result in Georgia was MORE voting hours and MORE access. ?????

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   

That’s not at all what it is. Of course that’s what the people behind these laws like to tell everyone to take the spotlight off of themselves, but that’s not what any of this is.

If these laws aren’t racist, then why do they mostly effect communities of POC? And it’s not just about voter ID, which people in lower income areas are less likely to have. They criminalized giving water to people waiting in line at the same time that they shut down a large number of polling places in black neighborhoods. Which leads to gigantic lines at the few polls left.

And not only that, they made it so the GA Senate can throw away any results it doesn’t like. They’re heavy Republican, so now they can basically throw away the will of the people if it’s not what they want.

I think it speaks to the fear based GOP brainwashing and tribalism that any thinking person could support these draconian measures. It sure as hell isn’t American.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Ummm...thank you...

Between what you’ve illustrated...and what I’ve illustrated in my posts in this thread...racist policy isn’t just a plank of the left party...but can also be found as a plank of the right...

Sides of a coin...comes to mind...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Do you believe any of these excuses to be true?

You left something out. Proving citizenship. That can be a problem for quite number of citizens, apparently.

As many as 7% of United States citizens – 13 million individuals – do not have ready access to citizenship documents. Seven percent of the American citizens surveyed responded that they do not have ready access to U.S. passports, naturalization papers, or birth certificates.2 Using 2000 census calculations of the citizen voting-age population, this translates to more than 13 million American adult citizens nationwide who cannot easily produce documentation proving their citizenship.3

Citizens with comparatively low incomes are less likely to possess documentation proving their citizenship. Citizens earning less than $25,000 per year are more than twice as likely to lack ready documentation of their citizenship as those earning more than $25,000.4 Indeed, the survey indicates that at least 12 percent of voting-age American citizens earning less than $25,000 per year do not have a readily available U.S. passport, naturalization document, or birth certificate.5

www.brennancenter.org...

I understand that blacks tend to the lower end of economic scale. It stands to reason that many of them would have trouble proving citizenship, which is required to obtain RealID.
edit on 4/3/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Denial is the primary issue which until addressed will ensure the continued outcomes under discussion. The left keeps throwing out history as an excuse and it's too easy to grab on to rather than face your own personal responsibility. We were getting well beyond this garbage in the 70's and 80's, someone must have propagandized an entire generation to become permanent victims. Even if you are a victim, responding to everything in that way will lead to no place good.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Again...soft bigotry, lowered expectations.

How do you work without proving citizenship? Are I9 laws different outside of the state of Texas? Each I9 that i do not activate by looking at their IDs and confirming they appear real is a minimum $3000 fine.

Do we just accept that these people are either not going to work, or get paid cash under the table? And this is acceptable?

I hear what you are saying. And am unfazed.

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

How do you work without proving citizenship? Are I9 laws different outside of the state of Texas? Each I9 that i do not activate by looking at their IDs and confirming they appear real is a minimum $3000 fine.

And yet, it is claimed that millions of people are working illegally.

Perhaps not all employers are as diligent as you are. Perhaps people will hire someone they know, a child of a friend (or a nephew, or an uncle), even though they cannot provide proof of citizenship.

edit on 4/3/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

If these laws aren’t racist, then why do they mostly effect communities of POC?

Citation needed. At this point, everyone has their cooked up data to spin whatever bull# they want to spin. And at the end of it all....it all boils down to equal treatment under the law.

You are spinning this bull# right here. Criminalizing giving water = making electioneering and bribery illegal. Water is available in self service stations. If it is not, then report that, as that is a dereliction. But keeping a special interest group from giving away labelled bottles of water to people in line while electioneering is illegal just about anywhere you go. ????

they shut down a large number of polling places in black neighborhoods. Which leads to gigantic lines at the few polls left.

Citation needed. Which specific polls were closed? What has the response to inquiries been? Were other polls opened nearby? What is the entire story, and not just Stacey Abrams spin on it?

And not only that, they made it so the GA Senate can throw away any results it doesn’t like. They’re heavy Republican, so now they can basically throw away the will of the people if it’s not what they want.

Citation needed. If you mean they can reject votes that don't meet a threshold for validity, don't bother.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join