It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we deal with the many issues facing the black community?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

In Hawaii every group is a minority, meaning no group is over 50% of the population. This doesn't mean that there aren't racial and cultural undertones, some are more "minor" than others.

Phage, what do they call you being White if you went into some the local neighborhoods?

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

That's an incorrect assumption.

The ghettos we know and love today were created by social justice progressives during the early 20th century Progressive Era.

They predate that.

It's a Jewish word and goes back in usage to the Middle Ages.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It is hard to be the only one because when you aren't a member of an already in-group, then that group is going to be wary of how they interact around you, and that is going to be true today more than ever before.

I was often the only girl in some of my math and science classes in high school and at many of my academic competitions, and I bent over backward to be one of the guys as much as I could for their sake as much as my own. Socially, the last thing anyone needed was a girly girl.

I learned I actually liked it better than being girly girl in plenty of ways, but I still wasn't ever truly one of the guys in the same way a real boy would have been.

As I said, it today's climate, that's only going to be worse.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Byrd

Your experience as a big man is that you're safe and you think women may be intimidated by you. BUT... it's not about you. It's about our experiences with a lot of men (being whistled at, leered at, pinched, being brushed against "accidentally", etc. When we try to explain that the problem is in the general male culture, we get met with stories like yours -- the "I'm a nice guy", etc.[

Has this been a thing lets say in the last 30 years?

Yes. It has. It still is.

The construction worker whistling at a woman or making cat calls is like the biggest stereotype in the world, but how often did it actually happen, I bet not very...

Every. Single. Time. From the time I was about 10 until I was over 60. it's NOT flattering. My experience isn't unique. I know of one woman who DID get such activity shut down... her father owned the construction company and anyone who whistled or catcalled his daughter was fired on the spot.

Do you know of a HR department that isn't close to 100% women? I don't, so ya I think your examples are from decades long gone...

Women in the workplace did not solve the issue. It has decreased somewhat but it's still there.

What do you ask a culture that is typically dysfunctional as a norm?

Well, the minorities and women work hard to try and educate Whites (and White men in particular) about the issues. We kept being told that it was fixed and it's not a problem, but as we've seen in recent news, it isn't. However, the holders of power (economic and social) are usually White men, so their buy in is needed -- and it starts with understanding where we are coming from.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Byrd

And they need to also listen.

If you want a man to respect that you just don't feel comfortable around strange men because there are other men who might be jerks, then blacks need to respect that unfortunately urban blacks are a disproportionately high number of the criminal element in this country, so it's just valid for people not to feel comfortable in the company of blacks they don't know and for the same reasons that you don't feel comfortable with strange men.

Ah yes, the Scary Black Man image (or Scary People of Another Race.) That's a real thing.

Did you realize it goes both ways? The Big Black Guy is hyperalert around Whites (who may be hyperalert around him) because BBG is so often equated with "criminal" and W is often conflated with "karen" who calls the police on people having picnics and walking dogs.

It goes back to the Jim Crow era and before.

The thing is, standing around and pointing fingers and saying "yes but" hasn't solved anything. It's like a marriage... if one party says there's a huge problem and the other tells them "this is how to fix it" without actually asking what the important issues are (or not really listening and then misunderstanding what was said), then nothing gets resolved and things get worse.

It starts by understanding the other viewpoint. Saying "there's a lot of criminals" doesn't address the real problems... like Jogging While Black.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Edumakated

It is hard to be the only one because when you aren't a member of an already in-group, then that group is going to be wary of how they interact around you, and that is going to be true today more than ever before.

I was often the only girl in some of my math and science classes in high school and at many of my academic competitions, and I bent over backward to be one of the guys as much as I could for their sake as much as my own. Socially, the last thing anyone needed was a girly girl.

I learned I actually liked it better than being girly girl in plenty of ways, but I still wasn't ever truly one of the guys in the same way a real boy would have been.

As I said, it today's climate, that's only going to be worse.

You had the benefit of my generation fighting for this.

I got bullied and harassed (and even had chess pieces thrown at me by a professional chess player) for the very same things you did. Oh... and passed over for jobs and promotions which were handed to men much less qualified.

And the situation for women of your generation is still problematical, I'd bet.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It is hard to be the only one because when you aren't a member of an already in-group,

And now you're a member of the in-group. On ATS.

Cliques come and go, but cliques will always exist, it just depends on with which one chooses to identify, and which one is most popular or beneficial at any given time.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Democrats are the problem with their total racist attitude towards blacks and trying to cover it by buying them off.

The old keep them out on my neighborhood.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   
A WARNING about the Covid-19 vaccine, released by leaders of the African American Muslim Community.

Very influential in Black community: www.noi.org...

Even Joe Biden and the CDC Director raised red flags about the Covid-19 vaccine(s).

Beware...It's being rushed: www.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Democrats are the problem with their total racist attitude towards blacks and trying to cover it by buying them off.

The old keep them out on my neighborhood.

Is that an original thought?

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Talking about the American black ghetto. Not the history of the word.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Yes, thanks to transwomen (men who are now considered women). I am now a "uterus owner" because it offends them to hear it any other way among other things, like them wanting access to women's shelters and women's sports. Everything you fought for is being taken away in the name of "women's" rights, only now it's men who are better women than we are.

So don't sit on your laurels. Your progressive ways are erasing it all.

Isn't it funny how you never hear about transmen getting upset that everyone still says only men have prostates?

edit on 4-4-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirHardHarry
a reply to: ketsuko

It is hard to be the only one because when you aren't a member of an already in-group,

And now you're a member of the in-group. On ATS.

Cliques come and go, but cliques will always exist, it just depends on with which one chooses to identify, and which one is most popular or beneficial at any given time.

It's easy to be part of the group here. Just discuss things in a civil manner. There are plenty of leftists who manage it. You should try it.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Even Joe Biden and the CDC Director raised red flags about the Covid-19 vaccine(s).

Beware...It's being rushed: www.reuters.com...

Do you think people won't look at your link?

This is what Biden said :

“The idea that there’s going to be a vaccine and everything’s gonna be fine tomorrow - it’s just not rational,” Biden said during a CNN town hall in Moosic, Pennsylvania.

This was in response to Trump's claim that a vaccine could be available before the election. And no cautions about it being "rushed
edit on 4/4/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

Women in the workplace did not solve the issue. It has decreased somewhat but it's still there.

I think you are looking for a boogeyman long gone, or you live in a really bad place.

edit on 4-4-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The black community is the only community in the US that teaches itself to be racist against itself.

Nigga this, nigga that, mah nigga ... Its a core aspect of their American culture which they allow to continue.

And if you have any drive to succeed outside of rap, sports, or drug dealing, you're an Uncle Tom.

Assimilation is a choice, and that choice leads to success.
edit on 4-4-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
I just looked this up, and it's worse than I thought.

If you can pass the CDL Hazmat background check, I'm pretty sure it's not much more than that. There was also something put into place after 9/11 that was a specialized credential from Homeland Security for entering and exiting ports with a truck - that may be part of it, too.

Some people are gonna freak out and some people it won't bother.

originally posted by: rounda
The black community is the only community in the US that teaches itself to be racist against itself.

Absolutely not true. White People call other White People 'White Trash' all the time. And I can only guess what rich White People call not-rich White People.
edit on 5-4-2021 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

originally posted by: rounda

Absolutely not true. White People call other White People 'White Trash' all the time. And I can only guess what rich White People call not-rich White People.

No, absolutely true.

When was the last time you turned on the radio and heard a white person saying "white trash?"

The only one I can think of was Eminem...

I can list a hundred black rappers right now who use the word nigga.

There is a difference between a term existing to disparage people and actively promoting a racial slur as a cultural thing.

And there are plenty of black people who will defend their right to use the term nigga, while vehemently opposing anyone else using it. I'd argue any black person who uses the term will rattle off the same bull# argument to justify its use.

It is taught in the black community, straight up. There is no comparison in any other community in America.
edit on 5-4-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I guess you could say that some byrds just don't appreciate a compliment.

How many people did daddy fire then?

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 03:51 AM
link   

edit on 5-4-2021 by Diogeneser because: deleted by op

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join