It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we deal with the many issues facing the black community?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 02:30 AM
link   
IMO we set blacks or anyone else at the bottom up for failure. I cant imagine raising 4 or 5 kids, much less as a single parent. Welfare should encourage people to have less kids and no one should ever be told to quit their job b/c they make too much. Welfare should be a hand up, politicians should be bragging how many they got off welfare, not on it.

This all requires honest govt though..in my state we keep throwing governors in jail and thats just the tip of the iceberg. Most are smart enough not to get caught.
Interesting article about a recent twitter thread on the subject - www.americanthinker.com...

High schools need to refocus off of critical race theory and switch to having someone qualified to do something when they graduate. Like being qualified to be a nurse, high demand job that can move around easily. Kids should be educated about the job market and whats available.

I know plenty of white people living in trailer parks, but our MSM drives the racism. Its ratings, clicks, street cred, and everyone has learned thats the word you need for attention.

Im off of Football now, not into flag burning, but one of the last discussions I recall was Washington picking an Ohio QB at 15. A white player went earlier to NY. The talk show I was watching brought up racism, even though at 15 any of the 32 teams could have picked this guy up, he just fell to Washington and they drafted him. Never mind several black QBs had gone number 1 in years past, this was racism. It permeates every discussion, even when there is 0 evidence for it. Hardly a day goes by on sports talk where it isnt brought up. Honestly I dont know how it will end.

Can you imagine if Aaron Rodgers(top 5 QB for years) was black, he fell to 24 in the draft.. Im sure the racism talk about that injustice would never end..But since he was white, just a snub, not racism.
edit on 4-4-2021 by 111DPKING111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 03:12 AM
link   
With respect to your thread title.

How do *we* deal with the many...

We?

Do you have a mouse in your pocket or something?

Who is "we"?

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

I grew up around black communities, if a black student does well in school, they are ridiculed for "acting white". I believe if we could get them to stop holding themselves back, they would find much more success in life.

Lot's of movies from the early 2000s and late 90s like "How high" and others negatively amazed me with their stereotyping of blacks and also Asians. Asians be like stern shop owners hating blacks for their thuggish attitude is what it conveyes. That compresses it down into one sentence.

However one neighbor rented a flat in his house out to a refugee from Africa. Great guy, responsible and forthcoming. It's more a cultural thing. Everyone is shaped and formed by their surrounding to a degree. If you grow up in a ghetto, living the ghetto style that's what shapes you.

Those who step out of the game then become traitors to their roots. It isn't a racial problem, it isn't genetic or inferiority, it's cultural and selfmade. So we and the media really shouldn't embrace anything around the thuggish, gangsta attitude, shouldn't support movies and music embracing this. Then it will do a great part to solve this. If it isn't fame gathering to be a OG or gangster, if children grow up again learning that violence and fear isn't how you be successful in the long run, then we will start to see it becoming better.

This will take decades, not just a few years. Decades of undoing the embracement of black on black violence.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   
My best friend and a friend of hers are going through the exact opposite scenario. My bbf's friend is black and wants to talk about race and what's it's like being black. Her friend suggested a book for my bff to read and discuss but my friend wants nothing to do with it and has pretty much cut her off. I don't know my bffs friend, they live in Georgia and I live in Colorado. The black friend recently texted her to meet for lunch and I'm lightly persuading her to do so.

My bff has some family who get government assistance. That annoys her to no end. However, about 7 years ago they got themselves into quite a pickle and were in the process of filling for bankruptcy. They simply bought too much stuff, lived above their means. Seems a little hypocritical to me... As a society we hate when people get assistance but ignore the ones who milk the system.

Her mom passed away around the time they were filling and her inheritance pulled them out of debt. Her mom was a hoot but sorta crazy. She literally probably had 3 or 4 lawsuits pending at her death. She was always suing people. Anyway, one of the lawsuits came through and my friend got a cut of that. Funny thing is their spending habit's haven't changed and she doesn't work. They won't be getting anymore inheritance as her husbands family lives on the charity of others as he is some sort of preacher.

I read an article recently about an evangelical preacher preaching to his flock about the upcoming civil war and the need to prepare. This was a well respected preacher with a large following. Yikes. We hear it talked about here all the time. Don't think that kind of rhetoric is helping the divide.

A lot of folks here do this tactic which i CAN'T STAND - they'll say something to the effect "it doesn't matter all you dems think republicans are racist anyway" I'm not a debater but there must be a word for that tactic. I call it the puss tactic. I imagine the person as an adult baby stomping his foot, it's pathetic. It's used all the time here and it cuts off any kind of debate. It's like a grown ass person whining - can't stand it!

My hope is that we have more discussions about race and all sorts of thing that divide us, so i'm glad you tried. I wish a network would televise that sort of thing. We're all a lot more alike than we think and if we could talk things it would be helpful.

I hope you and your friend can sort things out. Maybe write him a litter, sometimes that can be a better way to get your point across. Good luck.
edit on 4-4-2021 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

The first time I went out of the US was an eye opening experience for me. Now this was just a trip to Canada, but for me it was a big deal at the time. What struck me the hardest was the black people. They didn't dress differently, speak differently, act differently, or separate themselves from the rest of the population in any visible way. This was totally foreign to me having grown up in and around the Chicago area. The black people in Canada were just people like everyone else. It was a beautiful thing to see. I loved seeing them happy and successful.

Then we went back home. The differences stood out even more. Clearly the change occurred at the border. We all know slavery happened all over the world. In some areas it is still happening. The difference is that only in the US is it still such a big issue. And its only an issue where black people are concerned. The US had a decent share of Irish slaves too. And it also had black slave owners. But none of that matters. Apparently its only the black slaves that suffered and only at the hands of white slave owners.

So what is so different about the US compared to the rest of the world? The answer is simple. We are still apologizing for something that happened 150 years ago. And our way of apologizing is to give away free stuff. Unfortunately, the free stuff became an attractive lifestyle for people who want everything but aren't willing to work for it. So they continue banging the same tired drum and getting more free stuff. And it only works because we let it.

I am Italian. Ever hear of roman slaves? My people were slaves too. They used to dip us in oil, impale us on pikes, and set fire to us to light outdoor dinner parties. The guests would dance to the sound of our screams. To say we had it rough is an understatement. So why aren't we sitting around with our hands out waiting for free stuff? Simple: self respect. We stood up, dusted ourselves off, got over it, and made something of ourselves.

Now we have the concept of reparations is coming around yet again. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. Lets force people who never owned slaves to pay people who were never slaves in the first place. Or how about this? That subsidized housing credit, the free cell phone, the free cable tv, the dumbed down civil service exam, EBT, hiring quotas, the Miss Black America pageant, dozens of various programs and agencies designed to cater to minorities that offer no services of any kind to white people, etc. There are your reparations. You have been getting them for decades. And it still isn't enough. NEWS FLASH: IT NEVER WILL BE ENOUGH. In some bizarre distortion of the original experiment, its as though Pavlov not only taught the dog to salivate every time it hears a bell, he also unwittingly taught the dog it doesn't have to do anything but make noise to get what it wants.

The only way to end this cycle is to immediately start ignoring anyone who whines about slavery or racism. Like a spoiled child who throws tantrums to get what he wants, the only way to end this travesty is to stop giving in to the tantrums.

Dear Black People: Every race suffered subjugation of one form or another. Every race suffered slavery of one form or another. The only way you are special is that you are the only ones still crying about it. And please, for the love of God, please, drop that stupid "There are no jobs in my neighborhood" excuse. I started working for a living as soon as I was legally able to do so at the age of 14. In my entire life I have NEVER had a job in my own neighborhood. At one point I had to drive more than an hour one way into another state because that is where my job was. Not once did I sit my lazy ass on a street corner and demand someone bring me a job. Have you ever heard of rush hour traffic? Do you know what rush hour traffic is? Rush hour traffic is MILLIONS of people who do not have jobs in their neighborhood.

The difference between them and you?

Self respect.

Get some, and get on with your lives.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Byrd

I am about 6' 3", and have a large build. About 300lbs, former powerlifting champion, etc. Im an imposing figure. Women do not tend to ride alone in elevators with me. They will cross the street. Those kinds of behaviors...just making sure we are not alone together.

Now people who know me know im impeccible. My reputation is beyond reproach. But if you don't know me, you might measure risk.

Is this sexist? Maybe. I mean, the fact that im a man is what does it. If i was a large woman, i doubt they'd feel intimidated. Is it wrong? I don't think so. And despite the fact that it makes me feel really bad, feel like less of a human when it happens....those feelings are my problem to deal with.

But im not going to think someone is acting wrongly when they evaluate risk through their own prism.

This is actually a good example of difference in perspective.

Your experience as a big man is that you're safe and you think women may be intimidated by you. BUT... it's not about you. It's about our experiences with a lot of men (being whistled at, leered at, pinched, being brushed against "accidentally", etc. When we try to explain that the problem is in the general male culture, we get met with stories like yours -- the "I'm a nice guy", etc.

We get that. I have lots of male friends who'd never do this. I don't think of men as horrible monsters. BUT... when I'm in an area that I'm not familiar with and in the presence of strange men, the question arises "am I in this space with a safe guy or with someone who will push their presence on me?" (it's VERY unpleasant to have a guy "chat me up" because I don't know if he wants to force a relationship on me or if he's just awkward and not good at conversation)

I cross the street. I "forget" something. I wait for another elevator.

The same thing is going on with the Black community. This is why I stressed listening to their needs and wants and perspectives and finding out what THEY want done rather than dismissing it .

T

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Now, how do we deal with people who feel a need to deal with communities?
Let them deal with their #. The less people like you deal with stuff the better.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnthonyMD

By "why are 'they' not free, I mean why are - by and large - "people of color", along with "women" not treated "equal" as in, why is "color" and "sex" and "race" still so often a factor in the consciousness of those who decide "to hire or not to hire"?

Are you sure? There is no real statistical proof of this in today's world, and I don't think you could give me real world examples that were not just liberal narratives. (I'm talking only America). I'm a senior manager and I have about 30 people on my team who make 85 to 95k per years. They are all the same in pay, work, promotions etc no matter their color or sex etc.. Any respectable company is the same, and any company not like that is just shooting themselves in the foot bypassing talent and in the end it will hurt them. Come out of the 70s...

My VP and CEO are both woman, My last CEO was a woman and I'm in a high-end tech company. Vast majority of companies HR department are women with many minorities, prove me wrong on that one...lol. The glass celling was broken about the end of the 90s and has only gotten better and better since. I would truly love my company's competitors to be this way, man would that be an easy button to pass them by.

The problem is this all was enhanced and pushed starting around 2012 as the next BIG liberal progressive narratives. ALL you see going on with the WOKE, critical race theory, 1619 project, social justice warriors, ANTIFA, BLM, cancel culture, de-platforming, White Supremist and Xenophobia narratives, racism, post modernism, etc. etc. ALL was grown and nurtured back then and is now some weapon of choice for the left.

I do not know what line of work you are in, but what is on the different medias daily, or vomited from people's mouths is not the real world.

edit on 4-4-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Imagine that.

The point wasn't important, just my perspective as it is yours, and you like to nick pick a couple of words out of a long post without actually addressing the main point of the post, so yes not something I want to debate with you. BTW 17 states give DLs to illegals with HI one of them...

You mean that Georgia voter registration thing? Seems like a big loophole. Did you click it?

That screen shot is from the Illinois voter page... I did click and go through the 5 or 6 steps of the GA registration process and it didn't ask me for much information that was required outside of the requirements to show some form of ID or BC, SS and two forms of address which could be a plethora of different things to do that part.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Black people need to stop listening to low-IQ Democrat leaders. Look at the mess these ignorant leaders have produced in Georgia.

Democrats screw minorities again: www.foxnews.com...

To be honest, in Joe Biden's case, hurting Black people is something he enjoys, as evidenced by his many racist statements and rants.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I watched a documentary a long time ago, about a black person who had spent time in jail. It was by/about him. Just a guy telling his own story.

Something he said always stuck with me: He said the ghetto was created when manufacturing jobs went overseas.

I believe him. I believe that is fully 100% of ALL that happened to make black communities into what they are today.

Why? Think about it. When legal apartheid ended, how many black people were working in skilled professions? (The answer would be: basically zero.)

How is the community supposed to position its children into skilled professions if they can't make any money doing what they are already doing?

My conclusion: Until protective tarrifs come back (designed to protect the minimum wage by preventing the work from simply being done elsewhere, and then shipped back.)

Until those tarrifs come back, the black community has no hope.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

That's an incorrect assumption.

The ghettos we know and love today were created by social justice progressives during the early 20th century Progressive Era.

The practice of racial zoning ordinances has been around since at least 1908 and the first ones officially codified by Baltimore Mayor J. Barry Mahool, a known "social justice" Progressive, he supported the city's racial zoning ordinances and signed them into law in 1910.

Mahool- "Blacks should be quarantined in isolated slums in order to reduce the incidents of civil disturbance, to prevent the spread of communicable disease into the nearby White neighborhoods, and to protect property values among the White majority."

Also this idea that there is "no hope" is nonsense.
edit on 4 4 2021 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

Your experience as a big man is that you're safe and you think women may be intimidated by you. BUT... it's not about you. It's about our experiences with a lot of men (being whistled at, leered at, pinched, being brushed against "accidentally", etc. When we try to explain that the problem is in the general male culture, we get met with stories like yours -- the "I'm a nice guy", etc.[

Has this been a thing lets say in the last 30 years? Back in the 80s when I was in my 20s I have had women grab my crotch...All people were different back then, just as they were in past decades going back forever. The construction worker whistling at a woman or making cat calls is like the biggest stereotype in the world, but how often did it actually happen, I bet not very...

Women started to enter the work force more and more starting in the 60s and yes it was a man's world that took a few decades to mature with the changes, but around the end of the 80s I saw BIG changes in not only this area but ALL areas and every decade since it was just better and better.

Do you know of a HR department that isn't close to 100% women? I don't, so ya I think your examples are from decades long gone...

The same thing is going on with the Black community. This is why I stressed listening to their needs and wants and perspectives and finding out what THEY want done rather than dismissing it .

What do you ask a culture that is typically dysfunctional as a norm?

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

There is no statistical proof but there is certainly some discrimination at the margins. My wife (black) is an executive and she has experienced it. Think black woman and colleagues are all white men. Very subtle discrimination that in many ways, I don't even think the perpetrators realize they are doing it.

It doesn't mean companies need critical race theory training, but you also do need to listen when it comes to how minorities may feel whether the issue is real or perceived.

It is hard to explain to many people what it is like being the "only one" or a handful of other minorities. It presents some challenges.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: olaru12
I'm sure the black community is grateful for a bunch of mostly white politicians to decide where, when and how long they have to wait to vote. They know it's not racially inspired.

www.businessinsider.com...

But that's what Election Day is for any of us isn't it - our politicians, via process of the Constitution, deciding where, when, and how long we *all* have to wait. Why are black people somehow special on this score? Should they not be told these things on Election Day like the rest of us?

www.thenation.com...
www.projectvote.org...
www.theguardian.com...

I realize it's just the way the game is played but it seems to have blown up in Kemps face this time.

www.cnbc.com...

If there is anything that will prompt minorities to vote democratic it's this kind of BS.

The GOP needs to reevaluate their program to appeal to a broader sprectum of voters not just the Qanon right and if they continue to lose support of corporate America; it's lights out for the Grand ole Party!!

Jan6 scared a lot of powerful CEOs and it's going to take some time for that trauma to dissipate.

Here, here....

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It is hard to explain to many people what it is like being the "only one" or a handful of other minorities. It presents some challenges.

In Hawaii every group is a minority, meaning no group is over 50% of the population. This doesn't mean that there aren't racial and cultural undertones, some are more "minor" than others.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Who is the 'we' and why does the 'we' have to do anything? It's their problem. The only issue is when their problem spills into other people's lives.

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   

It's you...You're the problem...You sound like maybe you're a conservative Democrat...And man, that's a rare breed now days...

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

There is no statistical proof but there is certainly some discrimination at the margins. My wife (black) is an executive and she has experienced it. Think black woman and colleagues are all white men. Very subtle discrimination that in many ways, I don't even think the perpetrators realize they are doing it.

Everyone discriminates at one level or another. Be a White kid and walk onto a BB court that is mostly Black guys. Of course Black people have experienced it and so have White people... The problem is we use that word way to loosely today. So what is it that your wife has experienced at her work that we would call discrimination?

It doesn't mean companies need critical race theory training, but you also do need to listen when it comes to how minorities may feel whether the issue is real or perceived.

Perception is everything...

I'm sure it is...I work in a mainly White male high tech world, and we work on diversity, so women and minorities also get a bump for being who they are. In most jobs a good number of people can do the work, so you need to pick sooner or later and being a Black Female that can do the job in a White Male dominant world isn't bad either in more ways then you might think.

I have lived all over the world and I been in situations where I'm the only White guy for 100 miles...lol I kind of get your point, but I see it more as that is life...

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

And they need to also listen.

If you want a man to respect that you just don't feel comfortable around strange men because there are other men who might be jerks, then blacks need to respect that unfortunately urban blacks are a disproportionately high number of the criminal element in this country, so it's just valid for people not to feel comfortable in the company of blacks they don't know and for the same reasons that you don't feel comfortable with strange men.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join