It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MLB moving 2021 All-Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia voting law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   
What they don't get is people are getting tired of politics and sports at the professional level. This is enough for people to drop going to and watching games altogether. I know I already watch less and less pro stuff, If sports don't allow people to get away from politics, they will spend their time and money elsewhere.

The other thing is we are likely to see a political blowback and a more motivated Republican base, lots of small businesses owned by minorities were hoping for an influx of business from the all-star game.

www.espn.com...

Major League Baseball announced Friday that it is moving the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta in response to a new Georgia law that has civil rights groups concerned about its potential to restrict voting access for people of color.

The 2021 MLB draft, a new addition to All-Star Game festivities this year, will also be relocated.

In a statement, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the league is "finalizing a new host city and details about these events will be announced shortly." A source told ESPN that the 2022 All-Star Game is still planned for Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles and that that site won't be moved up to fill the void this summer.
edit on 2-4-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I freed up so much time by not watching the NBA and NFL. Not watching MLB will just free up more of my time.

Tired of watching pampered athletes making millions who could give a damn about me, the game.

All they care about is their "brand"

F### them.

Losers.

They couldn't do my job if they tried. Morons.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Oh well I wasn’t watching anyway. Thought maybe they would learn from how the NBA and NFL have progressed but guess not. Hope they like low ratings and poor ticket sales. I used to watch almost all pro sports, I occasionally wTch NFL but haven’t watched the others for a few years and have not missed it one bit.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:15 PM
link   

What they don't get is people are getting tired of politics and sports at the professional level. This is enough for people to drop going to and watching games altogether. I know I already watch less and less pro stuff, If sports don't allow people to get away from politics, they will spend their time and money elsewhere.

Apparently people are also getting tired of GOP politicians trying to disenfranchise people of color.

www.cnn.com...

thehill.com...

Kemp will be walking it back soon enough! Republicans are now feeling the heat as it blows up in their face.
edit on 2-4-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I wonder if they even read the law ? 😃

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Now we have another big organization acting like a government !!

WTF is going on anyway ?😃

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Apparently people are also getting tired of GOP politicians trying to disenfranchise people of color.

www.cnn.com...

thehill.com...

Got it you have no clue what is in the law other than talking points.
=========================

ON topic they have been hemorrhaging paying fans for a while, even John ossof a died in the wool blue democrat realized this was a stupid move.

They claim its in response to the politicians, yet the only people it has an effect on is regular people of georgia, more useless virtue signaling that never hits who its targeted at... par for the course from the left.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Corporations making decisions clearly intended to influence political matters should be considered treason and subversion, with the corporate policy makers reaponsible punished accordingly.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

www.cnn.com...

thehill.com...

Cobb County is 45% minorities in that area there are loads of minority-owned businesses that could have used that influx of business. All because of a law where you couldn't serve food or drinks in line at a polling station, how is that disenfranchising voters? Yes, it's a stupid law but it's just political overreaction on top of political overreaction.

As Ive mentioned the left would have likely won the state gubernatorial in 2022 if not more, this superficial law wasn't gonna last long. It was all about perception that the Republicans were actually doing something the law has no teeth.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Why are black people to dumb to get a photo ID?

Calling this a restriction is nothing more than an insult to the intelligence of black people.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Corporations making decisions clearly intended to influence political matters should be considered treason and subversion, with the corporate policy makers reaponsible punished accordingly.

Ever hear of corporate lobbyist? It's as American as Apple pie. In fact we live in an corporate oligarchy where Corporations decide political policy matters as a common practice.

edit on 2-4-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:29 PM
link   
No one who watched all the states bow to the corporate pressure over the bathroom wars, could have *ever* seen this coming ... /rolleyes

I think it's time Georgia slapped a jet fuel tax on Delta and stopped subsidizing the pro sports stadiums in their state.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I freed up so much time by not watching the NBA and NFL. Not watching MLB will just free up more of my time.

Tired of watching pampered athletes making millions who could give a damn about me, the game.

F### them.

Losers.

Well I did enjoy watching baseball, but honestly, I can live without it, it's not as exciting watching without fans in fact it's kind of dull.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

They claim its in response to the politicians, yet the only people it has an effect on is regular people of georgia, more useless virtue signaling that never hits who its targeted at... par for the course from the left.

This I believe is key as to what's going on. This isn't about tit-4-tat, but rather disenfranchising the common people so that only the elites will be allowed to see events in person. Want to go see a movie, sporting event, fireworks display, or anything really in person? Well with this trend, you better be one of the elites or its going to be "No Show For You!"

As for this move out of Georgia because of a voting law, well maybe they can move it to that Trotskyist Utopia of South Chicago. That place seems safe enough for high profile people like Smollett to go out in the middle of the night and get a Subway Sandwich then perpetrate a national HOAX. So you know it's safe enough for the MLB.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I stop watching, do not give two rat asses where they go and what they do, If I want politics I watch the liberal media. I hope the door hit them in the back when they leave GA.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So you believe people of color are incapable of acquiring ID? You seem to have a pretty low view of them...

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The All-Star game brings around $60 Million to the host city's economy. Sounds like a huge amount, doesn't it? www.baseball-almanac.com...

Atlanta metro's GDP for 2019 was $372 Billion. www.statista.com...
That's just over a Billion a day. The All Star game going elsewhere will cost Atlanta 6% of a single day's local GDP... Thinking of it another way, let's say someone makes $15 an hour at their union job shining the brass knobs on the left hand drawers of a cabinet. 8 hours of their day, shining knobs, union strong, union proud. That's a gross payday of $120 for the union knob shiner. Now let's say that he or she is forced to take an unpaid 28 minute break and doesn't have any PTO or sick leave left to use. So for the day the knob polisher will only gross $112.80. A loss of $7.20 for that day. Anyone see that knob polisher suffering anything beyond maybe skipping their frou-frou Starbuck coffee for a day to cover that monumental loss?

MLB moving the All Star game is a meaningless gesture and Georgia needs to stay strong on their very much needed, very fair, very logical efforts to ensure future elections aren't mired by the type of malfeasance and fraud we saw in 2020.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: DBCowboy

F### them.

Losers.

Well I did enjoy watching baseball, but honestly, I can live without it, it's not as exciting watching without fans in fact it's kind of dull.

Back in the day. . . I knew a med student who worked the summers as a Jaegermeister Girl at Wriggley Field. She's get me to the games, I got drunk with Harry Caray once (he was already hammered) and watched my Cubbies alwys lose epically.

(This was the early 80's not the '86 season)

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I can add MLB to the rest of the alphabet soup, that I no longer care about. When are these Prima donna‘s going to understand that patriotism trumps the games that they get paid to play.

posted on Apr, 2 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   

All because of a law where you couldn't serve food or drinks in line at a polling station, how is that disenfranchising voters?
It isn't. It's just stupid. What's the point of that anyway? But there is more to it.

Reducing access to dropboxes.
Doing a number on runoff elections.
Reducing the time period in which absentee ballots can be requested.

In general, just making it harder to exercise one's right to vote it would seem.

edit on 4/2/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/2/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join