It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT! Smart Phone System Update: New Android Malware Its a Sneeky Little You Know What

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

If it was so important for you to have a mobile phone before cell-phones came out, why didn't you already have a mobile phone?

You are assuming i wanted or needed one previous to cell phones. I didn't. I neither wanted or needed a mobile or cell phone prior to the early 2000's. Although I was required to carry a pager in the 90's as a manager. An annoying little piece of technology.

So many people won't answer this question when I ask it. It makes me think they don't really need a cell-phone.

Maybe it's because you're asking the question without enough information before coming to a conclusion. I work in the technology industry. I am a consultant and a field technician. I do repair, networking, system builds and maintenance, and whatever else is needed, including cell phones when necessary.

You didn't answer my question, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing to.

I disagreed with your assessment that I did not need a cell phone, and I did answer your question.

Get the facts first, then ask follow up questions and make your conclusion, because your point is valid in a lot of cases.

No, I'm "assuming" you don't need one now, not then. Nor does anybody need one - here's why: 40 years ago, I worked at a place where they did "field" work, that is, away from the main work building. They had these things called "commercial radios" that worked like a citizen band radio, but the range was much greater. These radios worked and allowed the workers and bosses to be able to contact each other at all times and on their own private frequency. Seeing as how this was older techology and it worked, why would anybody ever need a mobile phone? It seems to me that businesses always managed to exist before cell-phones came along. EVERY type of business, even technological ones. Oddly enough, just about everyone "needs" a cell-phone these days and the fact that (I read somewhere) that 93% of people have them probably doesn't have anything to do with why everybody wants one. So, I'm not just singling you out. I think it applies to everybody. It's just the latest gadget that everybody is sure they "have" to have, when they don't really. So, please don't take it wrong.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 03:13 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 07:31 AM
link   

No, I'm "assuming" you don't need one now, not then. Nor does anybody need one - here's why: 40 years ago, I worked at a place where they did "field" work, that is, away from the main work building. They had these things called "commercial radios" that worked like a citizen band radio, but the range was much greater. These radios worked and allowed the workers and bosses to be able to contact each other at all times and on their own private frequency. Seeing as how this was older techology and it worked, why would anybody ever need a mobile phone? It seems to me that businesses always managed to exist before cell-phones came along. EVERY type of business, even technological ones. Oddly enough, just about everyone "needs" a cell-phone these days and the fact that (I read somewhere) that 93% of people have them probably doesn't have anything to do with why everybody wants one. So, I'm not just singling you out. I think it applies to everybody. It's just the latest gadget that everybody is sure they "have" to have, when they don't really. So, please don't take it wrong.

I remember those radios and used them with more than one company I worked for. They are still used today. They are expensive, unwieldy, need access to repeaters, monitored by the FCC, and can't do near what a cell phone is capable of. Cell phones put a lot of power into the hands of the average person as well as the person doing business at a much lower cost with caveats conspiracy minded folks don't like, including me. However, if I'm going to continue in the business I'm in, a cell phone is a practical necessity in the 21st century. I cannot do what I do without it. It's that simple.

Philosophically, you can argue all day long they aren't necessary and I will agree with you.

As a species, we don't need most of the crap we have, but it is now impractical to be without it, just as it would have been impractical for those companies you speak of to shun commercial radios if they wanted any efficiency in the field. Those radios were the cell phones of their day. Before that, rotary phones were a "necessity".

I understand your point. I remember when we had none of this and got by just fine. I also remember hearing these same arguments from those who were old in the 60's and 70's.
"Why do I need a damn house phone? It's just one more gadget to spend money on."
"Why the hell are we shooting rockets at the stars? We don't have any business being out there when we can't take care of what we have here." You get the idea.

posted on Apr, 5 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

You're basically asking why does technology improve. It's a silly question.

I mean, why not keep using the 20 hp model T? Who needs 500 hp? The world is much "bigger" now.

Good luck getting ahold to your bank, and your bank getting ahold to an engineer and getting a timely resolution over your radio when a catastrophic failure occurs preventing you from making transactions.

Good luck pulling up a document on that radio.

Im guessing that due to your age or interest, you're completely out of touch with technology, and that's fine, but understand that's contributing to you "not getting" why a computer that can fit in your pocket is almost a necessity these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join