It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Amazon go Union If so Then What

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Vote counting began on Tuesday to determine if workers in Bessemer, Alabama, will form the first-ever labor union at an Amazon warehouse in the U.S.

Where does everyone see this going? If it passes I think it will catch on like wildfire across Amazon warehouses?
I wonder what that means for the price of goods. Will this actually benefit workers like they think it will?
I’m a bit skeptical.....There is a real and ugly side of unions, the protection of terrible employees.

Is this the last straw before the robots take over?

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Amazon created the culture and conditions the caused the unions to get that initial foothold. May God have mercy on their souls, because the Unions won’t.
edit on 30-3-2021 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I just can't wait to hear the excuses as to why Amazons top brass support all these far left talking points, yet never implemented them in their own company. As much I dislike unions, I hope they do unionize, and I hope they demand every single thing that Amazon supported. Such as (but not limited to) 15 minimum wage for everyone, lots of vacation time,people in the board room whom have no business being there, and the best health care money can buy.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I’m always torn on the concept of unions.
They are great for preventing workers from being abused.
Unfortunately they also force companies to waste tons of money on stupid rules.

Detroit was built by unions and destroyed by unions.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I have limited experience with them, but in my experience it wasn't good. When I was 15 I got my first job, bagging groceries at the stop and shop down the road from the naval war college in Newport RI. They asked if I wanted to join the union, I said sure why not. So theysaid oka, no problem, it's 50 a month. So I said actually, nevermind, I'm only working like 12-20 hours a week making like 6.50/hr. That's a big chunk of my money. So he's like "yeah no problem, I understand, so that'll be 75 a month" needless to say, I wasn't happy nor impressed.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I hate to side with these kinds of huge companies, but unionizing in a scenario like this would be disastrous. Most of the workforce would lose their jobs overnight, replaced by robots and automation. The few that remain likely wouldn't see much of a difference in wages, and the overall costs to the consumer would skyrocket.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I temember a couple months back when Amazon was fighting tooth and nail to not allow mail in ballots from employees on the matter of unionization.
They felt the process would be corrupt.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   
So glad COVID weaned me off Amazon, buy local or on Ebay or direct from an individual company. Not gonna support that company or the union.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Boston Dynamics does have a pretty impressive new warehouse robot. We're moving towards automation much faster than most realize. It should be an interesting technological revolution.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Boston Dynamics does have a pretty impressive new warehouse robot. We're moving towards automation much faster than most realize. It should be an interesting technological revolution.

I think so too, way I look at it better than manufacturers closing totally and going overseas. Definitely gonna see kiosks at fast-food restaurants etc.

Serious question, I don't know the answer but I have my suspicions. When has a company or industry unionized made a product or service better and/or less expensive?

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I hope they do unionize and it does spread.

In fact i sincerely hope that Amazon’s entire workforce unionizes and then goes on the mother of all strikes.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I think Amazon will close that location and eliminate the unnecessary positions.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I can guess more time to do #1 and #2 must be #1 in the list of demands but I wonder what's #2 in that list.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

I think Amazon will close that location and eliminate the unnecessary positions.

Yep, that's what businesses do, I'd be surprised if it doesn't curtail any expansion in the US for a while. Not a fan of Bezos or Amazon but companies like will just cut back jobs and locations because in Today's economy and the foreseeable future there will be no way to recoup that extra cost. Throw in the negative publicity this generates can't be helpful, Amazon lost loads of subscriptions as well as orders the last 12 months. Got to wonder when the gazillionaire Bezos decides he doesn't need the hassles and sells.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Oppositeoftruth

I work at Amazon.

I'm actually there right now.

We already have great health care, lots of paid time off and Amazon's minimum wage is $15.50.

We don't need a union and we certainly don't need some crooks robbing our paychecks and 401k plans.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oppositeoftruth
I just can't wait to hear the excuses as to why Amazons top brass support all these far left talking points, yet never implemented them in their own company.

Don't forget that while Amazons top brass supported mail in voting for POTUS, they went to court to keep their employees from mail in voting citing the potential for fraudulent voting.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamonlyhuman

originally posted by: Oppositeoftruth
I just can't wait to hear the excuses as to why Amazons top brass support all these far left talking points, yet never implemented them in their own company.

Don't forget that while Amazons top brass supported mail in voting for POTUS, they went to court to keep their employees from mail in voting citing the potential for fraudulent voting.
Lmfao, the irony.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

That's great then, I'm truly happy to hear that they take care of their employees, if I was working 80 hours a week and relieving myself into bottles I'd want that as well. And I understand you not wanting a union that messes with you checks, I really do. But see those crooks you speak of, Amazon supports those people so long as they don't have to deal with them. And those people are robbing money from OUR paychecks. So it's kind of poetic justice for them to have to deal with the same crap, and same crooks that they champion.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I’m always torn on the concept of unions.
They are great for preventing workers from being abused.
Unfortunately they also force companies to waste tons of money on stupid rules.

Detroit was built by unions and destroyed by unions.

I'm pretty sure that this union is only really concerned with getting its members things like longer bathroom breaks and less dickendian conditions. Seriously, Amazon treats its staff like robots, their quota are murderously tight. It's not a happy place at all.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: Oppositeoftruth

I work at Amazon.

I'm actually there right now.

We already have great health care, lots of paid time off and Amazon's minimum wage is $15.50.

We don't need a union and we certainly don't need some crooks robbing our paychecks and 401k plans.

You don't have to join the union, closed shops have been illegal for a long time. It's entirely voluntary.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join