It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Less than half of Americans are attending church for the first time in American history.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

I think that's the crux of OP's post. People are realizing more and more that It's the individual and their actions that matter, not a church or adherence to a specific faith.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Can you prove he was pro temple and church? I don't remember any specific accounts of Jesus saying, "Please go to church and give money to the Rabbis, support the priest class and make sure to do all the things they say."

Even if there are it's speculation since we have to take the Bible as being infallible on faith rather than comparing it to a recording of what was specifically was stated by the man. It's all really up to interpretation, base reason there are so many Abrahamic denominations.
edit on 30-3-2021 by nemonimity because: grammer

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Haven't churches in many places over America not been allowed to hold in person gatherings throughout covid? It's been that way here. Seems like that might play some part in people not being able to attend church would it not?

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don’t

originally posted by: nemonimity

I think that's the crux of OP's post. People are realizing more and more that It's the individual and their actions that matter, not a church or adherence to a specific faith.

Essentially, that’s a big part of it. The flaws and hypocrisy of this religions are being exposed. Unless churches don’t catch up to the times and find more appealing ways to attract modern society....religion will continue to fall in America.

I’m certainly not advocating for it. Like I said I see the value in religion when practiced appropriately. For now though, I can be a positive force on the world and maintain an awareness and connection with whatever is out there in my own way.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Haven't churches in many places over America not been allowed to hold in person gatherings throughout covid? It's been that way here. Seems like that might play some part in people not being able to attend church would it not?

The poll was directly related to people’s desire to go to church and affiliation with a church. Not in regards to the lockdown itself.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Yep, that's all any of us can really do.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   

The poll was directly related to people’s desire to go to church

I'm sure being terrified of leaving one's house does nothing at all to their desires to go to church.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   

When the pastor only "works" a couple of days a week I do not think that warrants getting paid. If that same person wouldn't do it for free out of the goodness of their heart then they should reevaluate why they do it. I strongly believe that pastors and church "leadership" shouldn't shouldn't take money out of tithes for their own payment.

They should have a job like everyone else.
edit on 3032021 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

The poll was directly related to people’s desire to go to church

I'm sure being terrified of leaving one's house does nothing at all to their desires to go to church.

Well, I can only say it so many times, this poll wasn’t related to COVID or the lockdown. I guess you can read that how ever you’d like but it’s pretty clear that this wasn’t reflective of COVID but rather people’s affiliations with religion and the church.
edit on 30-3-2021 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I used to go to an old school small church like TrulyColorBlind was describing. The money that was collected as offering was used to pay the light bill and pay for church expenses. The preacher and his family lived 45-60 minutes from the church, he wasn’t so much “paid” as was his gas expense was covered. We had monthly business meetings where the finances were read And went over. Everyone could listen, but non members were asked not to comment. If there was a surplus of money it was used to help the community, food donations and stuff. It kills me when people lump a church collecting/using tithing like this with a millionaire mega church/corrupt pastor in the same boat.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I believe in God.

But you will never see me step foot in a church, a synagogue, a mosque, a temple of any kind.

God doesn't live in those places.

A synagogue (church) is defined as any place 2 people gather and His name is spoken between them.
edit on 3/30/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 10:08 PM
link   
In other news less then half Americans can think for themselves in a new all time low, make sure to drink your ovaltine bit ches

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 03:41 AM
link   

You

Essentially, that’s a big part of it. The flaws and hypocrisy of this religions are being exposed. Unless churches don’t catch up to the times and find more appealing ways to attract modern society....religion will continue to fall in America.

I am willing to bet the average rural home owner spends more on their lawns than feeding the homeless. Or for lawn-less city dwellers, more on Starbucks.

People are more willing to build homes for their stuff than feed the poor. Storage units, and pole barns for that classic car.

Or willing to build that multimillion dollar arena for a sports team, and pass extra taxes.

If less people are going to church than are going to church, modern society is a reflection of itself. Not the church. And society is still as hypocritical, if not more.

edit on 31-3-2021 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AlecHolland

And for a small church that supports the local schools, meeting place that gets people off social media and in actual community, help with local charities such as back packs for children. Helping with food banks. Spiritual support to first responders. Spreading the news about families in need, or who lost a loved one.

You know, all the “messy” stuff that one can filter by living an one-line existence.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Just because you don't go to church, doesn't mean you don't believe.

I don't need a special building or songs. What better place to talk to Him than sitting in a chair in my back yard under the tree, surrounded by His Creation ?

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Then how do you live in community? How do you actually interact with more than your next door neighbor? Meet with a large group of people at least weekly that make up the fabric of your area?

Is the church in decline because of what? Or people choosing to live a filtered on-line existence? Where you don’t have to face this person is on hospice, or the local school needs a backpack, shoe, or coat program? News about food bank needs?

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 05:35 AM
link   
The waters (symbolizing “peoples and crowds and nations and tongues”​, see Rev 17:1,15) that have been part of Babylon the Great's (false religion's) defense system, are drying up; as per the prophecy at Revelation 16:12 and as foreshadowed by the manner in which ancient Babylon fell to the Medes and Persians.

Soon they will have receded far enough for the image of the wild beast (mentioned in Revelation chapter 13) to launch its final assault on this symbolic city, Babylon the Great, just like the Medes and Persians had to wait for the waters of the Euphrates river to recede far enough for their soldiers to wade through to get to the city gates of ancient Babylon (foreshadowing the modern-day events concerning Babylon the Great).

Too many supporters of Babylon the Great (false religion), i.e. the waters still being too deep for their symbolic army to wade through, complicates matters. First support must be waned so that there isn't too much backlash or resistance to this move by the image of the wild beast from Revelation chapter 13 and 17 (in chapter 17 this beast is not mentioned as being the image of the wild beast anymore but simply as "the wild beast", but you can tell it's still talking about the same image of the wild beast that is described as being given life in chapter 13 because of having no diadems, the first wild beast in chapter 13 having these diadems, long story). It makes it easier to have support and approval among the masses for this move, described in chapter 17 as:

“And he says to me: ‘The waters that you saw, where the harlot is sitting, mean peoples and crowds and nations and tongues. And the ten horns that you saw, and the wild beast, these will hate the harlot and will make her devastated and naked, and will eat up her fleshy parts and will completely burn her with fire.’”​—Revelation 17:15, 16.

That's the "final assault on this symbolic city, Babylon the Great," that I mentioned before.

God’s Anger Brought to a Finish (Revelation—Its Grand Climax At Hand!)

The River Euphrates Dried Up

20. How do both the sixth trumpet blast and the pouring out of the sixth bowl involve the river Euphrates?

20 The sixth trumpet blast heralded the releasing of “the four angels that are bound at the great river Euphrates.” (Revelation 9:14) Historically, Babylon was the great city that sat on the river Euphrates. And in 1919 the release of the symbolic four angels accompanied a significant fall of Babylon the Great. (Revelation 14:8) It is noteworthy, then, that the sixth bowl of God’s anger also involves the river Euphrates: “And the sixth one poured out his bowl upon the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up, that the way might be prepared for the kings from the rising of the sun.” (Revelation 16:12) This too is bad news for Babylon the Great!

21, 22. (a) How did the protective waters of the river Euphrates dry up for Babylon in 539 B.C.E.? (b) What are the “waters” that Babylon the Great sits on, and how are these symbolic waters even now drying up?

21 In ancient Babylon’s heyday, the abundant waters of the Euphrates were a major part of her defense system. In 539 B.C.E. those waters dried up when they were diverted from their course by the Persian leader Cyrus. Thus, the way was open for Cyrus the Persian and Darius the Mede, the kings from “the rising of the sun” (that is, the east), to enter Babylon and conquer it. In the hour of crisis, the river Euphrates failed in the defense of that great city. (Isaiah 44:27–45:7; Jeremiah 51:36) Something similar is due to happen to modern Babylon, the worldwide system of false religion.

22 Babylon the Great “sits on many waters.” According to Revelation 17:1, 15, these symbolize “peoples and crowds and nations and tongues”​—hordes of adherents that she has regarded as a protection. But the “waters” are drying up! In Western Europe, where formerly she had great influence, hundreds of millions have openly ignored religion. In some lands, for many years there was a declared policy to try to destroy the influence of religion. The masses in those lands have not risen up on her behalf. Similarly, when the time comes for Babylon the Great to be destroyed, the dwindling number of her adherents will prove to be no protection at all. (Revelation 17:16) Though she claims a membership of thousands of millions, Babylon the Great will find herself defenseless against “the kings from the rising of the sun.”

23. (a) Who were the kings from “the rising of the sun” in 539 B.C.E.? (b) Who are “the kings from the rising of the sun” during the Lord’s day, and how will they destroy Babylon the Great?

23 Who are these kings? In 539 B.C.E. they were Darius the Mede and Cyrus the Persian, who were used by Jehovah to conquer the ancient city of Babylon. In this the Lord’s day, the false religious system of Babylon the Great will also be destroyed by human rulers. But again, this will be a divine judgment. Jehovah God and Jesus Christ, “the kings from the rising of the sun,” will have put into the hearts of human rulers the “thought” to turn on Babylon the Great and destroy her utterly. (Revelation 17:16, 17) The pouring out of the sixth bowl proclaims publicly that this judgment is about to be executed!

24. (a) How have the contents of the first six bowls of Jehovah’s anger been publicized, and with what result? (b) Before telling us of the remaining bowl of God’s anger, what does Revelation reveal?

24 These first six bowls of Jehovah’s anger carry a sobering message. God’s earthly servants, supported by the angels, have been busy publicizing their contents on an earth-wide scale. In this way, due warning has been served on all sectors of Satan’s world system, and Jehovah has provided individuals an opportunity to turn to righteousness and keep living. (Ezekiel 33:14-16) Still, one more bowl of God’s anger remains. But before telling us about it, Revelation reveals how Satan and his earthly agents are trying to counteract the publicizing of Jehovah’s judgments.

The Gathering to Armageddon

We are right now smack in the middle of Babylon the Great's waters drying up, we can see the fulfilment of Revelation 16:12 right now, right in front of our eyes. The statistics from the OP just being more evidence of it happening exactly as foretold and foreshadowed in the events surrounding the ancient city of Babylon in 539 B.C.E., first the waters being diverted so they dry up, then comes the final assault (in terms of timeline we are now in the part where the waters that Babylon the Great is sitting on, are drying up, receding; support is waning. Muslims must be getting tired of religion being used for promoting terrorism and manipulating the masses for selfish greedy motives by its religious leaders and prominent figures as well, just my gut feeling. There comes a time that for them, 'enough is enough' becomes the dominant feeling as well). And the fact that so many people that are still stuck in Babylon the Great, or have the mark of the beast, don't notice what's going on or don't understand its significance in relation to the fulfilment of Bible prophecy, is evidence for what's mentioned at the end there. And how effective Satan and his earthly agents have been in "trying to counteract the publicizing of Jehovah’s judgments" (which includes making people miss the point, what is being described here in Revelation, from chapters 13-17).
Thir ty Identifying Marks of False Christian Religions (playlist, with documentary concerning Bible prohecy following after this one)
edit on 31-3-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Since quite a few in this thread have expressed similar notions as expressed and corrected by means of Scripture in the videos below:

Here it is in textformat, I'll quote the notion as expressed by DAVID64 and given the thumbs up by Iamonlyhuman as:

Just because you don't go to church, doesn't mean you don't believe.

I don't need a special building or songs. What better place to talk to Him than sitting in a chair in my back yard under the tree, surrounded by His Creation ?

There is a danger in this way of thinking that the Bible and this article warns for and elaborates on, including how it conflicts with the instructions of and pattern set by the early Christians in the Scriptures, so here it is in textformat as promised:

Should You Belong to a Church?

‘I DON’T have to belong to a church or go to church regularly in order to believe in God!’ That is how many people feel about membership in a church or in any religious organization. In fact, some say that they feel closer to God when enjoying nature outdoors than when attending a religious service in a church. Today, it is a commonly held opinion that affiliation with a religious group or denomination is not a prerequisite for belief in God.

Others, however, sincerely feel differently. They contend that church membership and attendance are necessary, even vital, if one is to have God’s approval. So the question of whether religious affiliation is really necessary is more than just a matter of statistical or academic interest. In any case, since our relationship with God is involved, would it not be logical to find out God’s view on the matter? What, then, can we learn from his Word, the Bible, on this subject?

How God Dealt With People in the Past

These examples clearly show that in the past God has always dealt with his people as an organized group. The few individuals with whom God had dealings personally​—Noah, Moses, Jesus, and others—​were, in fact, used by Him to communicate with a closely associated group. There is no reason to believe that God deals any differently with his servants today. Of course, this gives rise to another question: Will affiliation with just any religious group suffice? We will consider this vital question in the next article.

Source: Should You Belong to a Church?

Which Religion Should You Choose?

‘DIFFERENT religions are simply different roads leading to the same goal. After all, there is only one God, is there not?’ That sentiment is shared by many who feel that although religious affiliation is important, it does not really matter which religion one chooses to follow.

At first glance, this argument may seem plausible, since it is true that there is only one God, the Almighty. (Isaiah 44:6; John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) However, we cannot overlook the obvious differences​—even contradictions—​among the many religious groups who claim to serve the true God. They differ greatly in their practices, their beliefs, their teachings, and their requirements. The differences are so great that those belonging to one religion or group find it difficult to understand or accept what the others teach or believe.

On the other hand, Jesus said: “God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth.” (John 4:24) Does worshiping God with truth allow for a range of contradictory ideas about who God is, what his purposes are, and how he wants to be worshiped? Is it logical to believe that it is immaterial to Almighty God how we worship him?

True Christians Then and Now

The Benefits of Right Association

The psalmist David once asked: “O Jehovah, who will be a guest in your tent? Who will reside in your holy mountain?” That surely is a thought-provoking question. David provided the answer: “He who is walking faultlessly and practicing righteousness and speaking the truth in his heart.” (Psalm 15:1, 2) An accurate understanding of the Bible will enable one to identify the religion that meets those divine requirements. Then, by associating with that group, one will enjoy upbuilding fellowship with people who worship God in unity and “with spirit and truth.”

Source: Which Religion Should You Choose?

It's actually very easy to figure out the question raised in that last article, because: “The name of Jehovah is a strong tower. Into it the righteous runs and is given protection.”—Prov. 18:10.

That includes protection from Satan's deceptions through Babylon the Great that includes replacing the name of Jehovah with the generic noun "the Lord" in Bible translations and in such conversations as this conversation Jesus had with the Jewish religious leaders trying to entrap him in his words:

One of the scribes who had come up and heard them disputing, knowing that he had answered them in a fine way, asked him: “Which commandment is first* [Or “most important.”] of all?” 29 Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah, 30 and you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.’ (Mark 12:28-30)

Very clear instructions from Jesus as to what the first and foremost commandment is and who it is exactly that you should love with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength. Not some nameless God, and not replacing Jehovah God with his Son, Jesus. Cause he's clearly not talking about himself there. As I discussed in more detail in this comment in the thread "What is Easter?".

As Paul said and mentioned in the article (2nd page or source given above, it's a 2 page article with only 1 title in the video):

True Christians Then and Now

Christians of the first century at times had different opinions about things. For example, speaking of those in Corinth, the apostle Paul said: “Disclosure was made to me about you, my brothers, by those of the house of Chloe, that dissensions exist among you. What I mean is this, that each one of you says: ‘I belong to Paul,’ ‘But I to Apollos,’ ‘But I to Cephas,’ ‘But I to Christ.’”​—1 Corinthians 1:11, 12.

Did Paul view these differences as of little significance? Was each individual simply following his own path to salvation? Far from it! Paul admonished: “I exhort you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that you should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among you, but that you may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.”​—1 Corinthians 1:10.

Of course, unity of belief cannot be achieved by coercion. It is achieved only when individuals carefully investigate matters and arrive at and accept the same conclusions. Thus, a personal study of God’s Word and an honest desire to apply what is learned are essential steps to enjoy the kind of unity that Paul spoke of. Can such unity be found? As we have seen, God has long dealt with his people as a group. Is it possible to identify that group today?

The Benefits of Right Association

edit on 31-3-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
Since quite a few in this thread have expressed similar notions as expressed and corrected by means of Scripture in the videos below:

Here it is in textformat, I'll quote the notion as expressed by DAVID64 and given the thumbs up by Iamonlyhuman as "Just because you don't go to church, doesn't mean you don't believe.

Thank you, you've given me alot to go through!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join