It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Morgan Silver Dollar Mint Mark?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I inherited a small cache of collectable coins and I've been trying to educate myself as to their history and value.

I have an 1878 Morgan Silver Dollar that has a mint mark I can't identify. I know that in 1878 3 mints struck this coin.

The 1878 Morgan Silver Dollar was produced in three mints: Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Carson City. The most valuable 1878 Morgan Silver Dollar carries the "CC" mintmark used by the Carson City Mint. It always carries a premium value because of very low production, making it the rarest 1878 Morgan Dollar. The San Francisco Mint used an "S". The main mint in Philadelphia did not use a mintmark.

The mint mark, which signifies where the coin was minted, also plays a large role in the value of the 1878 Morgan silver dollar. The mint mark is located just below the base of the wreath, right above the “D” and “O” in “ONE DOLLAR.”

treasurepursuits.com...#:~:text=The%20mint%20mark%2C%20which%20signifies%20where%20the%20coin,above%20the%20%E2%80%9CD %E2%80%9D%20and%20%E2%80%9CO%E2%80%9D%20in%20%E2%80%9CONE%20DOLLAR.%E2%80%9D

But, this mint mark isn't an "S", nor is it a "CC", and the Philadelphia Morgans weren't struck with a mint mark at all.
So what is this?

It looks like a solid rectangle. I can't find this particular marking anywhere online.
Have any of you seen this particular mint mark? Any idea what it represents?
Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

edit on 30-3-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I sincerely hope that you have something that is one of a kind and worth a fortune.
I have never heard of one having a solid rectangle in place of a mint mark.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Found this

www.worthpoint.com...

absolutely square mint mark- suspect it was a unfinished die. damage to back of coin see photos- all 11 of them 2 rows. It would have been valued at over $300 just as a coin if the damage was not on back. not to mention the error on the mint mark. I got this priced to start at just about silver, so we see if anyone wants to pay a premium for the mint mark

Could have been meant to be a "D" but damaged die
edit on 30-3-2021 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Me too! But I doubt it. The coin itself is in pretty crappy shape, as collectables go. Lots of scratches and gouges.

For some reason, I can't upload a picture of the full backside of this coin.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I think it is the S mint, but it's worn down enough that there isn't any relief left to identify it as such.

Nice coin!

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Wow! That's interesting, but that coin isn't a Morgan, and it's from one year earlier!

Very strange!

But, that makes me think that this coin is from the San Francisco mint.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Someone posted a pic of one, nearly identical to yours on reddit, people there think it is an 'S' mint mark.

I have a penny that looks fairly new that is missing the date. nothing where the date should be... I wonder if it is worth anything.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I do see a vague S like ghosting in the rectangle (top arc and bottom arc are just about visible but the centre section is rubbed or worn away or badly made) though you point out that it is not that.

Could it have been a bad coin or an unfinished one?.

Either way interesting, the mark looks like some old worn off jewellery hallmarks I have seen in the past, indistinct and worn down, either way very interesting object.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I have an 1878 with an "S"mint mark. The "S" carves out a bit of the rectangle side, so there isn't a hard line on either side of rectangle, but for some reason, I can't upload any more pics. Maybe I've reached my daily limit?

Anyway, if it was a worn "S", the regtangle sides wouldn't be sharp, like this one is.

I think FauxMulder's link is correct,

absolutely square mint mark- suspect it was a unfinished die

edit on 30-3-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   
whatever you do, don't try to clean it............!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am looking at pics of 1878 morgans and I see a few oddities that caught my attention. One is the # of tail feathers and the locations of each. No pic shows that particular configuration and the other is the 3 arrow points. They look like a missed strike in that part of the tips are not there.

www.pcgs.com...
edit on 30-3-2021 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2021 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Very, very good point, the patina is essential to the authenticity of the coin.
Often cleaning antiques and I suspect coins as well can reduce there value even if it is done by a professional.

edit on 30-3-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I think it's one of those "errors". I found one with an "S" that looks almost like your coin. If that is the case, it might have a good value.

When I said "I found one", I mean in internet.

edit on 30-3-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Look at the arrow heads. Smashed. Thats a S that was smashed

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Look at the arrow heads. Smashed. Thats a S that was smashed

The rectangle is too perfect to be produced smashing the coin.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   

On my train ride home I tried something on my phone just for fun.

I found an image of a near mint condition 1881 Morgan Silver Dollar with the S mint.

I then overlaid it on your coin so that they match up. Next I modified the opacity of the newer coin at different intervals to see if the S and other elements matched up.

What do you all think? Is it similar?

Your coin 100% opacity:

Overlaid image at 25% opacity:

Overlaid image at 50% opacity:

Overlaid image at 75% opacity:

Overlaid image at 100% opacity:

Like you and FauxMulder, I'm beginning to think it could be a bad or worn out die. Butcherguy's Reddit link has an interesting comment right at the end (or the oldest one) that explains why/how it happens, especially with lettering as intricate as S.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Its 100% a worn down or badly struck "S" - looks pretty clear even without the enhancements.

Nice work Encia22 though

edit on 30-3-2021 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Thanks.

It looks to me like the original rectangle frame was struck, but that the "S" was not struck during the striking process.

You can see that the "S" in your final picture cuts into the integrity of the framing rectangle's edges. My coin has relatively sharp rectangular edges.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 08:11 PM
link   

That makes sense and is probably want happened. For it to wear down, but still remain a raised rectangle would be strange.

Truman's picture is more what I would expect from rubbing; I think his image with the bevelled edges is a clue to it having been polished with something abrasive... it's way too shiny for silver.

new topics

top topics

join