It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The move to remove sheet music from Oxford

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

See you made a point there, people playing in live Orchestra and Classical routes will obviously need that knowledge, and I don't think anyone is suggesting sheet Music isn't beneficial for them. For the Majority of modern Musicians, and especially those of an electronic nature, it's just not important and the majority do not use it.
That doesn't mean it wouldn't benefit them, knowledge is ultimately always a good thing! it just isn't essential and the Music scene itself shows that.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 08:20 AM
link   
These idiots literally go looking for racism where there IS NONE. Racism-obsessed lunacy.

edit on 31-3-2021 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I do all my drum/music programming on piano roll, my favourite synthesizer has only white keys (with each key being programable), and my favourite way to play guitar is with a slide so I can avoid the same boring 12 notes that the frets limit me to, though I still can read sheet, I just hate it.

I think it's silly that we still use musical transcription methods that don't easily allow for microtones in the notation. 12 tones in an octave is pretty limiting. Why do people praise "classical" as being the best, most refined, most intelligent music? It's so limited by the tools used to compose it that it's like comparing lego to clay sculpture in todays musical landscape.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So guess that means, all the woke, artsy, having their babies listening to Mozart makes them racists. And brag about having indigo children to compensate for their faults anymore?

The humanity.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Science fiction writers never cease to amaze me. James Blish predicted our whole modern musical landscape in all it's "glory" in his short story "A Work of Art". The sampling and looping, along with formulas for "hits". He even saw sheet music become obsolete. Amazing since it was written in '56.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Boom. That's it exactly.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   
What might throw a lot of you through a loop... Join a Facebook group where these darker skinned kin actually try to debate these sorta topics in real time.

Eventually after a few replies back and forth the conversation will have you stooped and you're stuck making this awkward confusing face as you're realizing... these particular type of people don't even understand what the term "racism" means as they struggle to apply it to anything outside of the basic formula of "white person dislike 'black' person". If you attempt to give the actual definition out of a dictionary and explain how it's not strictly a white abusing "black" thing... they disappear like Harriet Tubman finding an underground railroad. O_o

After a few minutes of silence... I wish them luck and good fortune... the rest of this new world they will discover will not give them the time of day like I would. And I only hope the best as they search for greener pastures. :/

I couldn't imagine how devastating it must be to realize racism isn't actually a skin thing but a cultural endeavor.

edit on 31-3-2021 by MikhailBakunin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
If truly sincere, they must abandon Western musical instruments invented or evolved while Africans were enslaved by whites, say from 1500 to 1865. They shouldn't even use modern instruments derived from those used in the slave era, so they'll have to go back to the harpsichord, viol, harp, lyre, lute, hurdy-gurdy, recorder, bagpipes, etc. Or they could ditch European instruments entirely and go with traditional African, Asian and pre-Columbian New World instruments. It's so darn hard to be socially just these days!

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

I get what you're saying about the Ghost Dance. I just don't think sheet music will be outlawed. Oxford Uni is but 1 institution.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Guyfriday

I get what you're saying about the Ghost Dance. I just don't think sheet music will be outlawed. Oxford Uni is but 1 institution.

All it takes is one University to drop a program, then others will follow suit.

If MIT in the US drops robotics because they see it as anti-human, then how many other schools will also drop it for same/similar reasons. It's not that Oxford is going to get rid of these that's the issue, but rather that an institute of higher learning is using racism as a reason to drop anything.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

It's an agenda to vilify whites and Western culture. That's what it all boils down to.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Never in the entire history of mankind has there ever been a benefit by censoring history, banning art, writings, music.

It has always been to the detriment of society.

Always.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
These idiots literally go looking for racism where there IS NONE. Racism-obsessed lunacy.

In the true spirit of Matthew Hopkins.

posted on Mar, 31 2021 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The story is just another cretinous right-wing hoax, an April Fools ' joke tailor-made for mentally challenged Abovetopsecreteers.

Debunked, as if it even needed to be

Care to buy some sheet music from one of the world's largest publishers of the stuff?

Words cannot express my opinion of the intelligence of the American right wing. You folk really will believe anything that speaks to your prejudices, won't you? How the world laughs at you -- when it isn't recoiling in horror and revulsion.

What a bunch of (April) fools.

edit on 31/3/21 by Astyanax because: of fools

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Who are you calling fool's, if you want to stick up for Oxford university when it is obvious that they felt VERY obliged to publish a rebuttal as if that is not like the act of a guilty party then do so.
Stick up for the university that is home to the Bullingdon club, you know who they are don't you, I should be very surprised if an opinionated commentator like yourself did not.

Bullingdon club along with several other groups is related to the old Hellfire Club, in fact it is the DIRECT descendant and continuation of the Hellfire Club.

Now claims that the hellfire club was merely into paganism are very much disputed because very early claims suggest they were active Satan worshippers and had orgies for the elite, some even claim actual human sacrifice of an unfortunate maid occurred on one occasion and that a goat headed apparition appeared.

Whatever the truth or not of that past incident the hellfire club were the original rich bully boy thugs of there day just as the Bullingdon club with it's history of smashing up bars, burning £50 pound notes under tramps noses (to show disdain for the poor and for the Christian virtue of charity) are marks of Todays fraternity, a fraternity I might add that ANY truly concerned and decent establishment would have distanced itself from decades ago.

There are many innocent students at Oxford, some of the brightest and most gifted and many good professors and lecturers as well as plenty of brilliant researchers but there are also whole subjects riddled by less palatable student's and less than palatable lecturers, if the old monk's were alive today they would hold a massive exorcism of that entire campus and you know it.

Here is a point Oxford has a name to live up to and it is simply not doing that as well as it should be.

I don't think old Alfred would be too pleased either.

And yes they need a bloody good scolding.

Cambridge has the moral high ground it seems.

edit on 1-4-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

True but things like Bullingdon and Hellfire were reasons this was obviously a made up story. The Uni isued a statement calling it bollocks the day after the Torygraph report as papers had approached them for comment on the story and there were loads of libellous claims in the tabloids/right wing US press.

It's always been the most elite, right-wing toffish Univeristy in the world so was hardly going to remove sheet or classical which is basic GCSE/A-level. Been to a couple of parties there and was full of rahs with butler/servant types handing out mountains of coc aine on silver platters.

Cambridge has always been the more forward thinking/less inbred of the two. There's more chance of getting a blowjob from the pope than any woke-ism occuring at Oxford.

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Fair enough and good comment, my annoyance was at someone calling everyone on this site a fool when in fact they were prolific member themselves once upon a time though I have to say I have not seen that person comment for quite some time, at least on the threads I have frequented so maybe they have just not were I have been looking.

I believe that your approach was far more reasonable and far more level headed than insulting people and assuming there political point of view, mine is left of centre British for example.

Nice point about Cambridge.

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

my annoyance was at someone calling everyone on this site a fool when in fact they were prolific member themselves once upon a time

You mean me.

Yes, I was quite prolific, as you put it, when there was a readership on this site worth the trouble of addressing.

It’s wall-to-wall fools now. That includes the intelligent, non-deluded ones who still post here for reasons unknown. Yes, I'm one of them, I know. But in my defence, I rarely post here now, or even visit that often.

Sorry if you don't like being called a fool. Try not doing foolish things; that usually works.

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 05:53 AM
link   
There is no such thing as "white supremacy".

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Look whose talking or as the old saying goes takes one to know one.

Seriously I could come out with some expletive to that one what a laugh.

edit on 1-4-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join