It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The move to remove sheet music from Oxford

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: freedomSlave

No one said you can't play music if you can't read musical notation.

But good luck communicating your music to other musicians without the ability to use a universal language. Especially among people of different languages.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# ... Actually pretty easy.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Any college music programs that has not begun to move away from focus on those old European composers is decades out of touch with the advancing creativeness that is currently evolving in classical music composition.

It's not about canceling the ''masters'', its about sampling from a wider variety of world musical cultures

But is it though?

Sheet music is still required learning if you want to be an actual musician.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Ok. Now do that in Japanese.

Do that in a language other than your native one.

That's what sheet music is for.
edit on 3 30 2021 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 3 30 2021 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   
A quick Google search can provide all the names of the notes in between an octave in any language .. Just a matter of cut an paste

edit on 30/3/21 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Guyfriday

So if I'm understanding you - Oxford Uni are following this ATS thread and they will bring down musopen.org... ?

???
That's a pretty stupid comment. Maybe Oxford Uni are hiding under your and my bed - Be very afraid
Lol

Huh? So you don't know how this works then.

Ok so here's the simple breakdown:

Cultural history is removed from learning by higher academics

Cultural history is removed from public access (ie that web site you linked to)

Cultural history is banned by public education institutions

Cultural history is finally banned from public settings and moved from being acceptable in public to being a censored item only acceptable in private settings only

Finally cultural history becomes a forgotten item to all but the special elites that have either defied rules or were special enough to be allowed to have the piece of cultural history.

In case you don't understand how this works in the real world go find out about the Native American Ghost Dance. You'll read a lot about what people think it was, or how they think it looked, but you'll only find a film of one of these dances and on top of that if you ask a Native American about it even they will give you mixed answers. Ban a piece of Cultural History and watch t vanish from the public eye.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   
You know what else the colonies had? Shoes and socks. Of course the slaves weren't allowed to have them. Only the rich white racist slave owners were allowed to be shod.

So, cast off your shoes or be branded as racist bigot white supremacist terrorists for perpetuating colonial era slavery in the form of footwear and hosiery.

How dare you hateful heathens flaunt your fine knitted stockings and soft leather trainers in front of the starving children of want and need. Shameful. Absolutely shameful.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   

It isn't a matter of cut and paste.
It's a matter of universality.

Some alphabets don't have the corresponding letters. Others don't use an alphabet that can make those translations.

If you ever have to deal with people in real life who do not speak your language and you all need to be playing the same music, that is what musical notation is for.

Not sure why you think google replaced knowing things.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I remember watching an interview with Eddie Van Halen where he said that he barely even learned any theory beyond memorizing some scales, chords, and learning how the basic chord progressions work. Truly talented, creative people don't need templates and guidelines.

Like Mac DeMarco says, "There are no rules in music. If it sounds good, that's all that matters."

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I highly doubt someone from Japan will be playing my music or any other country . So ya I am not worried about it .. However I can just write the notes in my daw and print up some sheet music if I was in dire need to ..

As for myself and many musics we really couldn't careless to learn that .. I have no desire to learn other people's music note for note .. I will just figure out the interesting parts and move on to my own music I make .. I am not sitting here saying get rid of sheet music . All I am saying reading music doesn't make you a musician lol Many musicians have made great music with out music theory and reading sheet music .. Beside classical players playing cover music would be completely lost with out their sheet music in front of them when they play.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They! will not be happy untill a Total genocide of whites.
they they can start killing each other again!

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The Bablyonians, Mesopotamians and Sumerians got there around 1500 years before Pythagoras using the same 7-note diatonic scale and ratio-tuning. The oldest known musical notation is from Ugarit in Syria. These contributed to the Rhind Papyrus that Pythagoras developed his works from.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
I guess my real question is what the hell are they going to use to replace sheet music ... Guitar tabs are great for guitar but not to sure it would work as good for a piano and classical instruments..

But much like the left with knee jerk reactions and virtue signaling there in no real thought on an actual solution

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   

While it may not be all that important to you, sheet music is important to thousands of people who want to enjoy, and learn about the musical heritage of their culture.
edit on 30-3-2021 by Guyfriday because: I see that this statement of mine isn't accurate, but given the time I wrote it it seemed so. I'll leave this in here, but people should read what you wrote above this as it does seem like you understand the importance of the written note. Sorry
What isn't being addressed is what the OP posted:

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

www.americanthinker.com...

To be honest, it’s a little bit hard to make sense of the story because it’s so screamingly stupid. Apparently, music professors are claiming that all Western classical music has “complicity in white supremacy.” This seems to include such composers as Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, and Handel, all of whom were living in continental Europe in the 17th through 19th centuries and none of whom had anything whatsoever to do with Blacks, Africa, or the slave trade.

The claim being used to remove the music is based in "complicity in white supremacy". that excuse should worry everyone, and not just people that agree or disagree about being able to read scale.

As buddha so elegantly put it:

originally posted by: buddha
They! will not be happy untill a Total genocide of whites.
they they can start killing each other again!

The sadly weird part is that this genocide is being put forward by mostly white people. What should be said isn't that it's whiteness that is being stomped out, but rather public consumption of culture that the power elites being that only they should have. Just like Spain in the 15th century, the elites (or aristocracy) are putting out rules that allow for them to have privilege over all things, while people of the lesser culture (non-aristocracy) should have only that which the elites allow.

This removal of music will be followed by art, literature (which has also started to happen), scientific understandings, and finally philosophy or free thinking (which has also started to happen). This is only part of the down fall through excuses, it's only going to get worse over time.

edit on 30-3-2021 by Guyfriday because: I already said why

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4003fireglo
New Music Theory facts:

C Major is racist.
So is a minor.
All modes of C Major and a minor are also racist.

This is because they aren't inclusive of any black keys on the piano, and it's no accident. Only the white keys are allowed in there.

A minor is sad because it's racist now LOL

stop it, don't give them any more ideals...

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Thank you for that.

I was only aware of Pythagoras' contribution. Now I have another rabbit hole to go down.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Yes some people have a use for it some don't .. Never did I sit here typing to get rid of it .. However I am not going to sit here and claim that someone who doesn't read music is not an actual musician you need to read music .. That is kind of B.S.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is book burning

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Sure, there's nothing saying if you don't know how to read music you can't play it.

Here is some of my music Sampled drums and real guitars and bass . No theory training no sheet music reading .

Now just think of the kind of music you could create if you understood the theory behind the notes in the samples you take. If you could take two samples, understand the scales and keys they're in, chord progressions so you can sample sections of melody that work well together, recording your own instruments to sample.

There's plenty of value in learning music theory as an electronic music producer. A better understanding of fundamentals means you have more options for creativity.

Playing and making music without at least understanding the basics of music theory is like trying to learn to program without understanding how computers work. Sure, you might be able to hack some cool # together, but without understanding the fundamentals of computers, you'll probably never be able to develop a large complex piece of software.

There's a reason a large majority of professional musicians have some kind of music training, yes there are outliers, but they're the exception not the rule.

Sheet music doesn't create music it is just a method for others to know what you are doing and recreate it . Any musician worth anything can learn it by ear.

Sure, then you show up to jam with some people you've never met before, they've got a bunch of songs on sheet music they're going to play, everyone reads through the music, then starts playing. Ear player's left scratching their head for the first chunk of the song. I've seen this happen personally.
edit on 30/3/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

got me! lol

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join