It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The move to remove sheet music from Oxford

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I find that a bit of a mixed blessing.
While the leftists/progressives seem hell bent on destroying Western Civilization, China is at our doorstep waiting to take over.
But they will preserve music......

Seems like a no win for our Republic?
edit on Mon Mar 29 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: Clarity!!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

So if I'm understanding you - Oxford Uni are following this ATS thread and they will bring down musopen.org... ?

???
That's a pretty stupid comment. Maybe Oxford Uni are hiding under your and my bed - Be very afraid
Lol

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Yes, it was a ridiculous comment. It was made in reply to what I considered a ridiculous bit of sarcasm. Tit for tat does none of us any good. Apologies.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes
Yep, me as well. Dropped out of different JCs twice and went to trade school.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Every material thing we have around us today -- from varieties of apples through structural science to the most intimate chemotherapy - is a product of 'slavery' in some way. Searingly take slavery out of the Bible and you have no Jews.

The whole proposition is founded and driven by deeply disturbed people, who grabbed a catchy logo before equally disturbed people came up with 'White Lives Matter'.

What is deadly serious, and not at all insane, as a 'class' of smart people have taken the tautology of the 'Black Lives Matter' slogan, and twisted it to advance personal agendas.

"Staff argued.." - which "Staff"? Look at the agenda of these people. I would bet the PR message here is driven by a simply lust for Asian and African student funding, and eith it enhanced "Staff" benefits.

The huge danger is the only counter to BLM is the NTD movement - No They Don't - with consequences of a horrible nature.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

We should confiscate all money from universities.

Colonialists also used money.

They also breathed in oxygen.......let's remove that too.

This reminds me of a school trip for one week to a place that was run entirely by lefties. This was early the 80s, Germany.
Of all the outings we wnt to this one was the most like prison.
There were lots of incidences that vould fill a small book but this one fits your post best.

Once they trapped my friend and me in a u shaped table by sitting on both ends, then asking what we want to do with our lives.
I said I want to become an artist.
Aww how naive I was then, but surely it's a cute idea right?

Nah. Their answer was: "Hitler was an artist"
I never even then agreed with any of their fascist ways but I did lose my rag, told them they were insane and climbed over the table to leave.

It is very shallow thinking by really dumb people, but they feel clever. The whole left is an example of the Dunning Kruger effect.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Incredibly selective, too.
If society is an engine, you can't remove the parts you don't like and expect it to keep running.
Even if it did, performance is bound to suffer.

You can't destroy society but keep the parts that are personally beneficial.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 05:54 AM
link   

The 'rage against the machines' and 'pussy riot' bands of the future will be playing Beethoven and Mozart lol

I wonder if they will cancel courses about Charles Ignatius Sancho

Charles Ignatius Sancho was a British abolitionist, writer and composer. Born on a slave ship in the Atlantic, Sancho was sold into slavery in the Spanish colony of New Grenada.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-3-2021 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Where did you get the idea that we have a Republic?

We used to have a Republic... I think...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:17 AM
link   

How does this really work out? I've known the first nuclear scientist in the UK from a Caribbean background who worked on powerstations back in the day, totally loves the Imperial side and what it has done for culture, also a Caribbean descent antiques dealer, he actually over did the British thing more than anyone I've ever met loves his heritage, classical music playing all day in the shop, dressed as an English gent beautifully like no other. Who's stirring up this crap all it will do is divide peoples who used to adhere to Britishness and the flag.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteright

No worries. Instead of learning to read/write standard notation, they can replace it with Fruity Loops piano rolls. They can have a whole course designed to teach sampling and looping. Hooray for progress!

Eh? That Piano roll has almost every musical scale built into it that you can highlight, you can learn a ton on it! Almost all non hardware music is created using Piano rolls, they are just a virtual/visual keyboard, they don't use a different musical concept, a C is still a C and an F#m7 is still an F#m7

You can export as a score sheet anything you write!

Plenty of Orchestral music is also made on them, go tell Hans Zimmer he's been using his sampled instruments and Piano roll wrong!

edit on VamTuesday36am331 by valiant because: 🎵

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I had a Philosophy of Art course in college and a discussion on Western music theory came up, actually a student mentioned micro tonal intervals and eastern scales, basically questioning the whole western culture the course covered. The subject digressed into cultural relativism and got way off topic.

Then the discussion got heated a little and one white male student, a guy who never spoke in class and kept to himself, suddenly and very loudly proclaimed that we use western theories because "they were right" and those are the best ones to study. His loud and aggravated tone shut down that BS down and we got back to the class studies of the course.

The mechanics of harmony, melody, and rhythm and their inner related complexities are visually expressed in written form, regardless of the ethnicity of the music made into notation that is then played by an orchestra. Race and ethnic cultures have nothing to do with a system of musical notation that has been evolving for centuries. It was the only way to preserve music of every kind for centuries.

Other than primitive recordings, how would we have preserved the music of black jazz musicians from the jazz era if those black musicians didn't know musical notation and write up the sheet music for use while playing? How would that music be interpreted without a black director who knows his sheet music and score sheets?

They used to say that music is the universal language, but I guess that universal language is actually hate speech now.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   
We are watching the biggest attempt at re-writing history in recent times unfold before our very eyes. These people are literally trying to divorce themselves, and us, from reality.

Friedrich Nietzsche nailed it, and it couldn't be more appropriate to the times we are living in...

“In individuals insanity is rare; but in groups parties nations and epochs it is the rule.”

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It doesn't seem very likely - Oxford Uni Press is one of the biggest and oldest publishers of sheet music in the world and the Uni have stated the claims are untrue but they are considering dropping conducting an orchestra as a compulsory requirement.

There were quite a few highly-influential black classical composers and incredible classical instruments like the Balaphone so I can't see the claims having originated from anyone working in their music dept, more likely some HR jobsworth.

Joseph Bologe/Saint-Georges was a Black son of a slave and pfolific composer who led the best orchestras in Europe in the 1700s with even Mozart plagiarising his work so the claim of classical being too colonial or re-inforcing slavery wouldn't make any sense. It was one of the few areas where race wasn't a barrier and was instrumental in abolishing slavery and the recognition of basic rights for non-whites in Europe.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 08:09 AM
link   
And we wonder how humanity lost its ancient knowledge and wisdom it had once obtained.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Maybe if they want to prove that whites are not superior they should show some work of equal quality instead of trying to erase a superior artists work.

But they won't, because they simply aren't capable. It's extremely politically incorrect to say so, but not all brains evolved at the same rate after humans separated and went about their own evolutionary trajectory. This is apparent when you look at Caucasians and Orientals and see the complex civilizations they have created with advanced mathematics, music, science, philosophy. Then you look at other groups of people like Africans and Australian Aboriginals, and they're still building huts out of animal poop and hunting with sticks.

Rather than admit that there is no such thing as equality in nature, the social-justice warriors will demand that we scrap things that other races aren't capable of doing. They essentially want to drag everybody to the bottom and devolve the entire species to create an artificial equality. This is all because the last few generations of children were indoctrinated by a school system in which everybody was a winner simply for participating. The fat kid got a ribbon merely for showing up to the annual track-and-field event, and the semi-retarded kid passed all his subjects when everyone else had to actually apply themselves to achieve the same result.

This is exactly why Western civilization is on its way out, and China will be taking the throne in the next few decades.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I had a Philosophy of Art course in college and a discussion on Western music theory came up, actually a student mentioned micro tonal intervals and eastern scales, basically questioning the whole western culture the course covered. The subject digressed into cultural relativism and got way off topic.

Then the discussion got heated a little and one white male student, a guy who never spoke in class and kept to himself, suddenly and very loudly proclaimed that we use western theories because "they were right" and those are the best ones to study. His loud and aggravated tone shut down that BS down and we got back to the class studies of the course.

The mechanics of harmony, melody, and rhythm and their inner related complexities are visually expressed in written form, regardless of the ethnicity of the music made into notation that is then played by an orchestra. Race and ethnic cultures have nothing to do with a system of musical notation that has been evolving for centuries. It was the only way to preserve music of every kind for centuries.

Other than primitive recordings, how would we have preserved the music of black jazz musicians from the jazz era if those black musicians didn't know musical notation and write up the sheet music for use while playing? How would that music be interpreted without a black director who knows his sheet music and score sheets?

They used to say that music is the universal language, but I guess that universal language is actually hate speech now.
The entire thought process here is flawed. There is no right. It’s history, culture, art. The “rules” of music are only formed to work around the structure they created, they all are broken by other forms of music/art. Eastern microtonal music has plenty of value to be learned, if that’s the subject of the class cool study it. If the subject is classical western music, cool study it. If it’s Tin Pan Alley, cool... enjoy and learn from what things are and stop overlaying faux morality over things.

A bunch of dumb pretentious kids in college for music debating about racism in their art... yeah you guys really are accomplishing a lot for the world and your future...

Just curious, why do you feel it’s important to mention the gender and race along with the viewpoint of a particular student from your class? It seems to only serve to display your own prejudice and bigoted ideas.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

He's not wrong though. We use western musical notation because it works, it's understood around the world and, yes, even eastern microtonal music can be written using it.

Example

Learning to read music is important if you actually want to be able play with and communicate with other musicians effectively.

This whole thing is exactly as bull# as the math is racist garbage.

Regressing the progress of humanity because 'muh feelings' is retarded.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I Can't read sheet music , many musicians can't read sheet music,

& musicans who can't read sheet music
Here are 7 famous musicians that cannot read sheet music .. As someone said in this thread you cannot be an actual musicians with out reading sheet music .. Remember that next time you listen to Eddie Van Halen playing his guitar

Many producers use samples and piano rolls myself included .

But I will say to get rid of sheet music because it is racist is absolutely ridiculous..

Here is some of my music Sampled drums and real guitars and bass . No theory training no sheet music reading .

Here is a vst piano and sampled drums programmed real bass guitar

Full out all vst , samples , sampler , piano roll , and live bass guitar .

My mixing and mastering skills is still a learning progress but like music everything I do is self taught .

Sheet music doesn't create music it is just a method for others to know what you are doing and recreate it . Any musician worth anything can learn it by ear .
edit on 30/3/21 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

We can thank Pythagoras for the creation of musical notation. He's the one who developed the mathematical relationship of sound and tuning based on the size and intensity of the production of sound.

Only know-nothings like leftist SJWs who see everything through the lens of race attribute musical notation to racism. They do this because they are mentally inferior to normal people.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join